*A/N: Read on…there’s a possibility that you all got a baby fic…I’ll never tell. Also, thanks so much for all of your input and continue to help me lead this story in a worth directing. I’m sorry if there’s some B/A…he was there first, and Spike will never be out of the picture.*

Chapter Four: Focus

“Mrs. Summers, I presume?” A taller older doctor came into the waiting room to greet Buffy, as Angel sat beside her.

She didn’t explain what was going on, but Angel stood when she did and shook the doctor’s hand. “That’s me. My mother couldn’t make it.” Buffy said.

“My name is Ben. I’m assuming this is Mr. Summers. You must be proud to be welcoming a child into this world with such a beautiful lady.” A young male doctor stepped beside the older one, addressing Angel and smiling brightly at Buffy.

“Oh, He’s…not-“

Angel gave her a quizzical look and stopped her from denying the lie. “I’m not just proud, I’m ecstatic. I’m hoping it’ll be equally beautiful.” Angel smiled at Buffy slightly, and Ben signaled for them to follow him.

“What are you doing?” Buffy hissed in a whisper.

“Why didn’t you tell me Spike knocked you up?” Angel questioned.

“It’s none of your business who knock what up, and what kind of term is that?” She said touchily.

“Sorry…but, God, Buffy, we used to be so close, and now you’re…” His voice drifted as he noticed the small bump the overalls had been hiding.

“Used to before you cheated on me…and left me.” She nodded her head. She had to admit, though, she was happy he was there with her. She felt comfortable. “I’ll tell you one thing, as much as I know I’ll never love anyone the way I love Spike, and I wish he could be here, I’m happy that you are.”

He smiled at her warmly.

*

Buffy was bursting with excitement when she heard the speedy heartbeat of her child for the first time. Her child…her and Spike’s. ‘Then why is Angel sitting here, holding my hand?’ She cast a glance at the broad shouldered man, and he smiled brightly, his eyes gleaming with fatherly pride. For a second, she allowed herself to believe that he was the father, by her side supporting her. When realization set in, she felt the sting of tears approaching.

“It’s too early to see much, but that’s the head...” Ben pointed out what he could see on the screen.

“It’s cute.” Angel spoke.

“Yeah…” Buffy’s voice was a whisper. She was propped on her elbowed watching the screen with pride.

“I’ll be right back to take some pictures for you two to take home. Why don’t you take a minute to yourselves.” Ben said, standing from his seat and heading out the door.

The room was silent.

Angel was the first to break it. “I can’t help but wonder, what if I had done things different? Would it be mine?” He looked into Buffy’s eyes for an answer, and she looked away to see the screen.

“Maybe, or maybe we would have been too smart to let this happen.” He gave her a look. “I’m just saying Spike and I did this because we were overwhelmed with passion, and not thinking. If I had been more conscious, I would have taking the proper precautions. Now, I just spend every night in bed, crying. My mother won’t speak to me and my sister looks at me like I’m some sorta freak. My friends are being over protective, and Spike’s not even here.” She was nearing hysteria and Angel soothed her by rubbing her back.

“I’m here, and I will be here as long as you let me.” He offered.

“I’d like that.”

*

Buffy got home, to find her mother sitting at the dining room table with Dawn. “What’s up?” She questioned, sitting beside her sister.

“Hi, Honey. How did it go?” Joyce asked, nervously.

Buffy reached into her black messenger bag, and pulled out the pictures. She was able to coax Ben into making copies for everyone. She handed one to Dawn and Joyce. “That’s it.”

Dawn looked at the picture, her eyebrows knitted together. “It looks kinda weird.”

“That’s because it’s not fully developed yet. With every appointment, we’ll see the changes.” Buffy informed.

“With every appointment? Does this mean you’ve made a decision?” Joyce questioned, watching the picture with tears in her eyes.

“Yeah, Mom. As much as I know you think I’m ruining my future, I’m going to keep it. Although I have no clue what’s going to happen between Spike and I, this baby was made with love, so I kinda feel like I have to take care of it.” Buffy explained.

Joyce stood suddenly from the table, and rushed to her daughter. She wrapped her arms around her, and squeezed tightly while crying. “Buffy, Sweetie, I won’t think any less of you, and I’ll be here for you as much as possible.”

“Me too.” Dawn joined in for a group hug, her tears coming down.

“I an emotional wreck as it is…you guys are too good to me.” Buffy said, and her family took seats closer to her.

“What are you going to do about Spike?” Dawn suddenly asked, and Joyce seemed to be thinking the same.

“I can’t tell him on the phone. I think it’s best if I wait for him to come back. I can’t have him lose his focus.” Buffy said.