*A/N: There will be more drama to come, but for now…here you guys go. I’m listening to all your suggestions and keeping in mind what you guys wanna see, so lemme know what you think about this one.*

Chapter Five: Something Like That

He took a chance, and dialed the number, afraid of what would happen. She picked up to his surprise, with a drowsy hello.

“Buffy, it’s me.” Angel spoke unsurely.

“Oh…hi.” She sounded a bit disappointed. She was a bit tired from her day of work and the beauty salon. She had her hair cut an inch above her shoulder and highlight with more blonde.

“Still waiting for Spike to call?” He asked curiously.

“Something like that.” She replied with a bit of pain in her voice.

“If he really loves you, he’ll call.” Angel replied with haste.

“I forgot to say thank you…for today. I really needed some support, and you’re the first non-overbearing person I’ve spent the day with in these last few months.” She said with a small smile.

“Buffy, you know I’ll always be there to take care of you. I love you, I always will, and nothing’s going to change that.” His words caused her smile to fade.

“Angel, as much as I appreciate it, I hope you know that things will never be the same between us…you’ll always hold a special place in my heart, but as far as what we used to be, I can never feel like that toward you again. I love Spike, first, and you hurt me too much, second.” She said, attempting not to sound harsh.

No matte how sweet she was about it, it still hurt. “I understand, but as far as I’m concerned, I’m going to be here to help you out. If you need anything, know that you can come to me.”

*

She sat at her window, looking out at the surrounding houses, and she couldn’t help but wish, he’d climb up the tree and just be there. The ring of the phone snapped her out of a daze. It was near four in the morning there, so she figured it couldn’t be him. She figured it may have been Willow or Xander.

She picked up the phone and whispered a small, “Hello?”

“Don’t hang up, pet!” The British voice on the other end ordered, and Buffy felt her breath hitch.

“Spike, it’s late there. What are you doing?” She questioned gently, in an attempt to keep her emotions in check.

“Calling my one and only.” He replied. Before she could come out with a smart remark, he figured he owed her an explanation. “Darla is nothing to me. She used to be but that was when I was nothing. You made me something, Buffy. I have not been with or thought about anyone but you for these last few months. Don’t shut me out, pet, because if you do, you might as well bloody kill me.” His tone was tortured and stress.

“I won’t, Spike, but I really hope you don’t think that things are going to be the same when you get back. As far as our relationship goes…this time apart is too much, and my life is changing.” She explained, rubbing her belly with her hand.

“Is there someone else?” He was hurt, but attempted to mask the pain.

“Something like that…” She mumbled.

“Who?” His voice squeaked, as he reached one hand up and into his hair, tugging gently.

“Let’s not discuss it.” She answered.

He pushed it all down, all the hurt and anger he’d been feeling, and began working on a normal conversation. “How have you been, luv?”

*

Spike sat on the edge of his bed, the sun had come up and he was running late to school. His conversation with Buffy had been two hours. He hadn’t even slept, seeing how after he came home from work, he called her. The smell of fish stained his body.

He stepped under the spray of the water, and allowed his tears to fall. The thought of another man touching Buffy the way that he did, kissing her, making love to her…it was driving him made.

‘She wouldn’t…you don’t just fall in love with a bloke and break it off because he moves. Something’s going on with her.’ He had to find the explanation to why things were going awry.

A knock on the door caused him to snap out of his temporary breakdown. “Yeah?” He questioned.

“William, are you aware that you’re running late?” Giles asked through the door.

“Yeah, Dad, I’ll be right out.” The blonde called, and prepared himself for another day of no sleep and all work. ‘Love’s bitch, that’s me.’

*

“Buffy! Are you ready for school?” Joyce called from downstairs.

The petite blonde exited her bathroom after scrubbing her mouth clean. Morning sickness was a bitch, but the book gave her hope that it would be over soon.

“I’ll be down in a few!” She called, and went to her dresser to find a pair of shorts. She pulled them up and made an attempt to pull them around her belly. It would be impossible, she discovered, and went to her closet with a pout.

Her bedroom door opened suddenly, and Joyce poked her head in. “Honey, what’s taking you so long?” She asked.

With a pout, Buffy replied, “My clothes don’t fit anymore.”

“The miracles of child bearing. We’ll go shopping for maternity clothes tomorrow.” Joyce reached into her daughter’s closet and pulled out a pale pink linen and lace knee-length spaghetti strap dress. “This is great for today, and it’ll bring out your highlights.”

With a sigh, Buffy pulled up the dress and looked at her reflection in the mirror. She slipped on a pair of plain white flip flops, and brushed through her short hair. One thing was certain, shorter hair was a time saver.

“See, you look lovely.” Joyce put her hands on Buffy’s shoulders and looked at her reflection alongside her own.

Dawn suddenly came waltzing into the room. “Is she ready yet?” The teen asked impatiently.

“Yeah, I’m ready. What’s the rush?” Buffy asked with a sudden mood shift.

“Not wanting to be late because of you…again.” Dawn said, crossing her arms on her chest and taking a stance of defiance.

“It’s not my fault. I can’t fit into a lot of my clothes.” Buffy said with anger.

“It’s not my fault you’re getting fat.” With that dawn whirled around and made her way out of the room.

Buffy looked at her mother with wide, and teary eyes. “Am I really getting THAT fat?”