*A/N: A bit of drama coming up for both Spike and Buffy…and Spike will be back by chapter nine!!! Yay!!! Your comments and opinions mean the world to me, so feel free to review…and thanks to Ash!

Chapter Six: Pain

Prom was a week away, and Buffy stood in Clara’s Boutique with Willow and Angel, looking for a dress. They’d just discovered that Buffy was expecting a boy at her doctor’s appointment. Angel had become another trusted friend, but she still refused to be more. As graduation approached, her tummy got bigger. Everyone in Sunnydale was aware of Buffy’s current state, and although there was some talk, everyone was pretty supportive.

“How about this one?” Willow asked, holding up a green dress that came to the knee and revealed much cleavage.

“We’re looking for something that screams mother to be, not street hooker.” Buffy stated, rolling her eyes.

‘Mood swings.’ Willow mouthed to Angel and he smiled.

“What about this one?” The brunette pulled an off white sleeveless gown off the rack, which was embroidered with rhinestones beneath the chest area.

Buffy gasped with approval. “Oh wow…I think I’m in love.”

“I always figured you’d-“

She cut Angel off. “With the dress, asshole!” She snatched it from his hand and went in front of a full-length mirror, to see what it would look like. She was already five months along and her breasts were perking enough for a fair amount of cleavage, plus the way the chiffon spread apart in the front, her belly would dazzle. “You don’t think it screams Virgin Mary?” She questioned the duo beside her.

“Nope, I think it’s perfect.” Angel replied.

“Yeah, Buffy, you’ll look beautiful.” Willow answered.

With a wide smile, the expecting blonde made her way into the dressing room to try it on.

*

Buffy stood before the three-wall mirror, a smile on her face as she looked at her reflection. Angel stood beside her while Willow struggled with a tight red number in the dressing room.

“You look beautiful.” Angel said.

“Thanks.” Spike should have been at her side at that moment. “I don’t look fat, do I?” She questioned.

“Not at all…you’re glowing.” His eyes were filled with affection, and care that she couldn’t return. “Buffy…come with me to prom.”

“I don’t know,” she replied. She hoped that Spike would be back in time to join her for the prom, but with everything that had been going on, she doubted it would happen. Even if he came home on time to go, he’d be too upset about the baby to notice.

“I don’t intend on knocking you up.” He attempted a joke, and caused Buffy to give him a small smile.

With a sigh she thought about it. She was still suffering from hurt after her conversation with Spike. She made him believe she was seeing someone else, when the truth was, she was dedicated to her pregnancy. She just didn’t want Spike to come back to be burdened with the responsibility of a child. He was going to have a baby boy.

“As friends?” She questioned.

“And nothing more.” He replied.

“Okay.” She agreed.

*

“Why are you being so nice to that asshole?” Dawn asked after Angel dropped Buffy off at her house.

Buffy stood in the center of the room admiring her dress. “Not everything is about grudges, Dawn. At one point you liked that asshole, so don’t give me shit because I became his friend.”

“You’re using him!” Dawn argued. She was angry with her sister for dismissing her relationship with Spike.

“What do you know?” Buffy questioned, her side paining suddenly.

“You’re his friend because Spike isn’t here! You want to replace that void and Angel is just a perfect. All because he’s already in love with you, so no need finding anyone new! I bet he’d try to take on the role of Daddy.” Dawn went on, her voice shrill, and her rage vivid.

When the words were spoken Buffy buckled with pain, a wide-eyed Dawn standing above her.

“That’s not funny Buffy, get up.” Dawn said in a scared voice.

“I’m not joking. I think I’m going into labor. Call the doctor, and call mom.” Buffy ordered as a pang hit her again.

“You’re only five months!” Dawn exclaimed, running for the phone.

“I don’t know just hurry.” Buffy began crying, wishing that Spike was by her side.