*A/N: This is for Shippy and Kat, so they can understand what’s going on in Buffy’s head. Giles’ behavior will also be a bit of a shock, but the explanations will come. If you haven’t noticed both stories are based upon past and future. Don’t forget I desperately need your feedback to continue…*

Chapter Seven: Truths and Change

Joyce rushed through the double doors of the ER at Sunnydale Memorial, and made her way to the nurses’ station. At the vast white desk, sat a curly haired blonde that smiled widely at the eldest Summers woman. “Buffy Summers, I’m looking for Buffy Summers.”

“Are you her mother?” The girl said standing with Buffy’s chart in her hand, as Joyce nodded. “I’m Glory. Your daughter was asking for you not too long ago, but she’s asleep now. Her sisters sitting with her.” Glory led Joyce down the hall to a corner room.

“Is she okay? Is the baby okay?” Joyce asked nervously.

Glory stepped in with the mother behind her. “Everything is fine. Buffy just stressed herself out and put the baby in a bit of distress, but the doctor went over things she can do to prevent it from happening again. If it weren’t for Dawnie here, the baby would have been a bit premature. At this rate, you’re looking at a September baby.” Glory said with a smile, and left the family to speak.

Buffy slept soundly in the bed, Dawn at her bedside.

Dawn looked up at her mother with teary eyes. “I didn’t mean to…she just made me so mad.”

“What are you talking about, Dawn, Honey?” Joyce kneeled before her baby, and took her hands in her own.

It’s my fault that Buffy almost lost the baby. I started an argument.” Dawn began crying. She looked over at her older sister’s sleeping form.

“What could you have possibly done?” Joyce asked, reaching up to wipe the tears of Dawn’s cheeks.

“She was out with Angel…and it just made me so mad. She’s not even thinking about Spike, and even though I don’t talk to him, and I was mad because he left, I can feel it…he’s hurting. And her immaturity of keeping the baby a secret is just going to make things worse. How could you love someone and hide things from him? It just makes no sense.” Dawn spoke, her heart going out to the bleach blonde overseas.

*

Spike dialed the number to the Summers’ residence, as he sat on a stool in the kitchen of Merle’s on a rickety old stool.

“Hello?” A shaky voice questioned. It was nearing seven in the morning and Dawn hadn’t slept a bit. She was too busy waiting for noon, and Buffy’s arrival home.

“Nibblet, you okay?” He asked.

“Just a little tired, and yourself?” She attempted to keep the conversation nonchalant.

“Okay…getting ready to come home. Is Buffy home?” He asked.

“She’s in the hospital…just a little observation because she was having stomach pain.” Dawn attempted to hide the truth.

“Is she going to be okay?” He was nervous. Buffy was the strongest woman he knew.

“She’ll be back later today. I’ll tell her you called.” Dawn replied.

“Make sure…you…you tell her I love her.” He hesitated to leave the message, but he wanted her to know always.

“I will.”

*

Buffy awoke in hysterics, crying out for the only man she could ever love. “Spike! Spike, where are you?”

Glory rushed into the teenager’s room, and attempted to comfort her. “It’s okay, Buffy. It’s okay. Your mother will be here to get you soon, and I’m sure Spike will too.”

“No he won’t!” Buffy cried. “He left me. He left me to go to England and he’s never coming back.” She sobbed hard, and her stomach pained, once more. Her biggest fear was revealed, the reason she was pushing her beloved away. She was afraid she was going to lose him, anyway.

“Buffy, you have to calm down. If you want your baby to be healthy, you have to keep your stress level down.” Glory attempted to speak throw the commotion.

Joyce ran into Buffy’s room at the sound of her crying. “What’s going on here?” She questioned at the sight of her daughter in distress and the nurse’s failed attempt at comfort.

“She woke up crying for someone named Spike.” Glory explained.

“Oh my, the baby’s father. He’s away right now. Buffy don’t worry. Spike will be back. He loves you.” Joyce assured the blonde. She wrapped her arms around Buffy and rocked her back and forth. She whispered words of comfort until Buffy quieted completely.

“I have to tell him.” Buffy said. “He has to know.”

“You can tell him when he gets back. Rupert and I agreed on it.” Joyce said.

“You spoke to Giles?” Buffy questioned worriedly, pulling back from her mother.

*

Giles sat in the dark apartment, a bottle of Jack Daniel’s in his hand. He smiled when he heard the front door open. His son was going to be a father.

“Dad? Are you in here?” Spike called through the empty apartment.

“Right here, Son.” His voice slurred. He couldn’t help but remember how young and inexperienced he was when he lost his wife, and had Spike. He didn’t want the same for his son.

Spike made his way over to the light switch and flipped it on in time to see his father sitting on the living room floor, his back against the couch. “Are you okay, old man?”

“Great…just great. Come have a drink with me Willy. There are times to celebrate.” Giles said.

“And what time might that be, Mate?” Spike took a seat beside his father, and smelled seven different liquors on him. “You’re wrecked.”

“Your future,” was Giles’ reply.

“Let’s drink to that.” Spike took the bottle and took a swig. “I’m going back to Sunnydale in three weeks, and not only will I win back my girl, but I’ll be on my way to UC Sunnydale.”

“You dream the dream of dreamers. Silly boy, things are about to change for you.” Giles said, and Spike’s just gave his father a quizzical look.

“Change?” Spike questioned, a knot in his stomach. He handed the bottle back to his old man, and stood. “What are you talking about? Have you spoken to Buffy? Is she okay?” He made his way to the phone, but Giles stopped him.

“You silly little boy, this can not be fixed with a phone call. You will be back in Sunnydale in three weeks when the semester is over, and I will pay your ticket. There is a lot to look ahead for. You’re going to learn to be a man.” Giles spoke coldly, the disappointment threaded in his voice.

“What have I done?” Spike questioned.

“You’ve ruined your life by falling in love with that girl!” Giles yelled.

Spike felt his anger get the best of him, as he pushed his father to the ground. “Don’t ever speak of Buffy in such a way. She is the love of my life and if you cannot accept that, than I won’t stay here anymore.”

When Giles said nothing, Spike walked out, slamming the door behind him.

“Dear Lord, what have I done?” Giles looked to his savior for an answer.