*A/N: Sorry about the wait, I had my prom and graduation was today!!! I am now a high school graduate…but anyway…I’m trying to explain what has been going on lately, as best as I could. Enjoy, and let me know what you think…*

Chapter Eight: Vows

Buffy stood before the full-length mirror, a hand on her belly as she studied how the dress complimented her pregnancy. She could imagine Spike at her side in a white tuxedo. A smile approached her features and she closed her eyes, his voice in her head.

“You look beautiful,” She spun around, her eyes wide as the deep voice spoke. She was startled from her imagination, and saw Angel standing before her.

“You’re early,” she looked over the tux he was wearing to see that it was what she had envisioned Spike wearing.

“Yeah, well, Anya wants us at her house in twenty minutes to take some pictures, and you know how Anya gets when things don’t go her way.” He slowly moved forward, taking her into his arms, and she reluctantly returned to embraced. “Still no word from Giles?” He asked, taking a step back.

Buffy shook her head no with sadness. “Spike handed in everything he needed to graduate and disappeared. She couldn’t help but blame herself. If she hadn’t been so dramatic and told him about the baby in the first place, then they would have been together at that moment. She would have been going to prom with him, but she blamed her emotional outbreak on hormones.

“Think he’ll come back?” Angel knew that even if Spike didn’t come back, there was no chance for them. He was her replacement for Spike’s friendship.

“I don’t know…I hope so, but…I’m afraid of what will happen when he finds out about…” She rubbed her stomach affectionately.

“Why didn’t you tell him?” Angel asked.

Buffy glanced at the clock on her nightstand in an attempt to avoid the question. “Look at the time…we better get go-“

“Don’t avoid the question.” He interrupted.

With a sigh, Buffy sat on the edge of her bed, and Angel sat beside her, listening intently. “After Jenny died, he shut down. He became so attached to me, that the only time he seemed alive was when he was with me…” She looked dazed when she spoke of him, and tears brimmed her eyes. “He left to get better…and this would have gotten in the way.” She didn’t want to hold him back from having a future.

Angel rested a comforting hand on her back, attempting to soothe her. She leaned her head on his shoulder, and allowed her tears to fall silently. “I don’t know what I’ll do if he leaves me.”

“Well, you still have me.” Angel said.

*

Spike sat on an unsteady branch, watching the scene before him with seething hatred. He had climbed up just in time, to watch Buffy take comfort on the poofter’s shoulder. There back was toward him, and he jumped down without a thought, and ran home.

‘How could she?’ It was the only questioned that ran through his mind. She left him for the one guy he couldn’t stand. He wanted to run back there, put some sense into her, but he wasn’t ready to show his face.

He had gone through hell to get there, and for what? To watch his beautiful Buffy with a manipulative player?

‘What happened to Dru?’ No one knew he was back, and he was beginning to believe that returning wasn’t such a good idea. But his soul was yearning for Buffy’s love, and he couldn’t let her go. There was no way.

He entered the Giles’ old residence, which was eerie. Although the furniture and pictures still remained, there was a slight dust covering everything. The furniture was covered with white sheets, and the phone and electricity were no longer connected.

Spike pulled his cell phone out of his pocket, and turned it on for the first time in a week. It was no surprise that he had fifty-seven messages waiting for him. He sighed, and dialed his father first.

“Where the bloody hell are you?” There was strain in the British accent, and drowsiness. Spike wasn’t sure whether it was because it was near two in the morning there, or Giles just hadn’t slept since he disappeared.

“Home…I came to see Buffy.” Spike replied.

“Did you see her?” Giles hoped his son knew of the girl’s pregnancy. He hated keeping it a secret, but it wasn’t his responsibility to make Buffy rush.

“No…not really.” Spike answered.

Guilt washed over him at the way he had spoken to his son the week before. “About last week…I’m sorry. Buffy’s a lovely girl…I just don’t want you to end up as I did at your age.” Giles had kept enough secrets from his son in the past.

“What do you mean? Mom died, you didn’t have a choice. Besides, that has nothing to do with Buffy.” Spike said.

“Your mother…Gwendolyn didn’t die, William. She left us. I was eighteen, she was seventeen. She gave birth to you with regret, and left. I was putting you to sleep in the one-bedroom flat, while she said she was going to the store. I should have known she wouldn’t come back; she had barely touched you since you returned from the hospital.” Giles explained regretfully.

Spike was shocked. “How dare you? How the fuck could you keep something like this from me?”

“William…Spike, it’s not something that would have helped you find meaning in life.” Giles hesitated.

Spike felt the sudden tears spring to life. “I have found my bloody meaning, and I don’t care about you or Gwendolyn. I’m going to get Buffy back, and I’m going to marry her!” The bleached blonde vowed, and he hung up the phone.

Giles pressed the receiver and dialed the operator. “Good day, I was looking for the number to the airport…yes, I’m heading to Sunnydale, California.”