*A/N: Well…I hope you guys are enjoying this installment, because Spike is back bitches!!! And he’s going to turn Buffy’s world upside down again! Anyway, enjoy and I need a lot of opinion here because the reconciliation is going to be hard to write.*

Chapter Nine: Numb

“Buffy Summers…” Principal Snyder called her name. As she waddled toward the older man, he smiled. “I’m happy you were able to make it through the year, under these circumstances.” For the first time ever, he gave the young mother to be, a genuine smile, and the crowd surrounding gave her a standing ovation.

With tears in her eyes, Buffy accepted her diploma, and made her way off the stage to sit with her friends. “We did it, guys!” She said excitedly, tears in her eyes.

“And without a visit to the magical land of summer school.” Xander said proudly.

“Or to the emergency room…Buffy’s looks about ready to pop.” Anya said, bluntly.

“That’s not the half of it…she’s still got two or three months to go.” Willow happily put a hand on her best friend’s growing belly.

In the distance, Spike watched. The shade of trees surrounded him, and for the first time, he had a clear view of Buffy. He felt his heart dip at the sight of her belly, and al that came to him was Angel, and anger, as he watched the tall brooding man jog over to the group and hug Buffy.

He was ready to make his appearance, until he spotted his father, making his way to the Scoobies, as well, Joyce in line behind him, and Dawn trailing after them. Giles hugged Buffy tightly, and whispered in her ear.

Spike watched as she looked around, looked for him, and he ducked behind the tree before she could spot him. The old man ratted him out. Without another thought, Spike fled…he ran to the house and began packing his things.

*

Buffy stopped at the front door, and hesitated. She looked back at the people that waited on the sidewalk.

“We’re here for you, Buffy, but you have to go in yourself.” Dawn supported. Angel, Willow, Xander, Anya, Oz, Joyce, and Giles all stood with her.

Buffy took a deep breath and went for the doorknob, stepping into the dark house.

“I just hope he takes it well…” Giles said nervously.

Joyce reached out and took his hand, squeezing it gently. “I’m sure he will.” She assured him.

“What’s taking so long?” Dawn questioned after a couple of minutes.

“They’re not going to magically appear with hugs and kisses. There’s a lot going on over there.” Xander said.

“He better not yell at her.” Angel swore.

“I’m sure he won’t…he’s going to be okay, they’re going to be okay.” Willow said it more to herself, than anyone else.

“They will.” Oz took the redhead in his arms.

“I hope we can go eat after this. I’m hungry.” Anya said, receiving glares and eye rolls from those around her. “I’m just saying what your tummy’s are thinking.”

Suddenly, Buffy emerged with tears in her eyes, and a note in her hand. It read:
“Dear Buffy: By this time I’m sure you’re aware of my presence, as I am aware of your wrong doings. I hope that you are very happy with Angel, as I will be alone. I’ll be around when I feel I can deal with this situation. I love you: Spike.”

“What is it?” Giles questioned, stepping forward, and retrieving the note from Buffy. “What the bloody fucking hell? Angel?”

“Me? Me what?” Angel questioned, taking the note from Giles. “He thinks I’m…we…the baby’s mine…”

“He what! That little son of a bitch better get back here. There is no way in hell it could be Angel’s.” Joyce yelled. Everyone gawked at the older woman’s reaction. “Sorry…I’m just a bit temperamental.”

Buffy’s tears silently fell down her cheeks. “Is that how he thinks of me?” She looked at the group for an answer, than turned away to walk home. “Whatever.”

“Buffy…”Willow called, but Joyce put up a hand to stop her from following.

“She needs a little time.”

*

The summer night was cool, and Buffy sat on the porch, her arms folding in her lap, as her tears fell. Joyce had arrived home with Willow in comfort mode, but she just wanted to be alone. Xander was in her room at that moment, putting together a crib. The baby shower was three weeks away, and she had just graduated.

In less than three months, she was going to be a mother, and Spike had no idea that the baby was his. A small smile graced her lips as she thought of giving birth to Spike’s child. With his eyes, and her hair, his cheekbones, and her complexion…their little boy was going to be perfection.

There was rustling in the bushes that surrounded the house, but Buffy ignored it. “Damn squirrels.” She muttered, rubbing her belly with tenderness.

College was going to be a bitch, too. As much as Joyce offered to help, and Dawn offered to be the nanny, Buffy knew she couldn’t depend on her family forever.

The sound of a twig snapping brought her back to reality, and to that day in the woods.

“W-who’s there?” She questioned into the darkness.

“Never pictured you for the outdoors type, Summers.” Spike made his way toward her, and sat beside her.

She felt as though she was hallucinating. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m ready to talk. I want to know what’s happening, why we’re not together? I also want to know how this happened.” He glanced at her belly with annoyance.

“Well, Spike…six months ago-“

“We were still bloody together then!” He stood and yelled.

“Can I finish?” She asked impatiently. He was really there, and it caused her tears to fall rapidly. He sat back down and waited for her to continue. “When we made up…I wasn’t on the pill.”

Spike made an “O” with his mouth, and sat there for a second. “Thank God it’s not that fucking wanker’s.” Suddenly it came to him that everyone knew and had been kept in the dark. “How long have you known?” He asked, his nostrils flaring in sudden anger.

“Three months…” She replied, fear striking her.

“Three months? Three fucking months!” He stood.

“You were getting your shit together, I didn’t want to disrupt it.” Buffy stood in defense.

“And my father?” Spike asked.

“He’s known for a few weeks. We didn’t want to get in the way of your life in England.” Buffy said sheepishly.

“And Angel?” He asked quietly, his anger settling.

“We’re just friends.” She answered.

“But how long has he know? What part has he taken in this?” Spike paced on the grass.

“H-he went to my first appointment with me…when I went to get the sonogram done. He’s been taking me while my mother’s at work.” Before the words left her mouth, he was stomping off angrily. “Where are you going?”

He turned to answer her one last time. “I can’t even look at you right now. You took away from the beginning of my child’s life.”

Buffy couldn’t allow herself to cry as she walked away. She was numb, unable to feel her heart’s piercing agony. Silently she stood, and made her way back into the house.She knew it was all her fault.