Author's Chapter Notes:
Sooooo sorry for the huge hold on updates. This chapter has been sitting half finished on my computer for so long I forced myself to finish it. So the last part half may be a little shaky, but hopefully this will shake me out of my funk.
Save Me From Myself




~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Looking back, now that I’m older and wiser I see my mistakes. All of our mistakes. We all thought we were so fucking smart. Thought that we had the world beat, that we had figured it all out. We looked around at everyone, their simple little relationships and mocked them. We thought we were better than them, those who still played the dating game were beneath us. We gagged as single couples walked down the halls holding hands, sappy smiles on their faces. We rolled our eyes at girls putting on pounds of makeup on in the bathrooms. We had it all worked out, our own little system, our own world. We were so naive to believe the world wouldn’t bring it down.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

( BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BE-- )

Groaning loudly Buffy rolled over, slamming her hand down on the evil screeching box of doom. She spun around in bed, the sheets twisting around her limbs making her resemble a mummy and she flopped onto her back. Sighing she stretched and started to untangle herself and climb out of bed and as if on cue she grabbed the phone off the charger before it even finished it’s first ring.

“Up?” A sleep roughened female voice questioned.

Stepping into the hall bathroom Buffy flipped on the light and reached for her tooth brush while answering with a simple “Yep.”

“See ya on the curb in thirty.” The girl said, her voice still hazy.

“Got it, loves.” Buffy answered, her speech muffled by the tooth brush in her mouth.

“Loves.” Answered the girl and then Buffy through the phone onto the hamper in the corner, stepping into the shower.

Exactly thirty minutes later Buffy stepped off the curb in front of her house and into the black X-Terra that had just pulled up with two other girls inside. She slid into her seat, planting a chaste kiss on each of the girls mouths, smiling in greeting. She settled into her seat just as Faith’s arms wrapped around her shoulders from the backseat .

“So, how many college choices in common again?” Faith asked the girls. Cordy and Buffy both looked at her smirking face in the rearview as Cordy pulled away from the curb and onto the empty street.

“Last I checked, five out of seven.” Said the brunette, look to Buffy to confirm.

Buffy nodded, adjusting the radio station . “Last I heard, yeah. Why?” She asked, absentmindedly. She leaned over and began adjusting the radio dials, looking for something decent to listen to.

Faith shook her head from the backseat “Just wondering is all.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ten minutes later the X-Terra pulled into a spot in the student lot and the girls piled out. Walking down two spots to stand behind a bronze Land Rover as Angel, Conner and Doyle spilled out coming the surround them. The group spent several minutes greeting each other with laughter filled kisses and playful hugging, ignoring the students passing by.

Finally they started towards the school, all six of them paired up. Cordy arm and arm with Angel, Faith riding piggyback on Doyle. Buffy and Conner lagged behind them, her walking with her head on his shoulder.

Being the first day of the new semester they all swapped schedules as they walked, looking to see what classes they all shared. This ritual was pointless, of course. The group had been sharing the same classes for years. That was the advantage of all of them being top students. Conner being a assistant in the attendance office didn’t hurt their chances either.

After examining the new schedules however the discovered that they would be splitting for first and second periods. Not completely, but Buffy and Conner were in both in first period phys ed while the others were stuck in health. With hugs and cheek kisses they split up and headed towards their classes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

In a small Southern California town new neighbors were kind of a big deal. So when one Tuesday afternoon a moving truck pulled up to the curb beside Buffy’s house it caused quite a stir. Joyce Summers were baking like mad, wanting to have plenty of baked goods to welcome the new family and Dawn was constantly staring out the windows, hoping to catch a glance of any cute boys to flirt with or girls to play with.

The group were truly the only oblivious ones. So involved in one another they really didn’t see the point in obsessing over anyone new to the area. That was, until about a week after the moving trucks disappeared. Buffy, Cordy and Faith had just pilled out of Cordy’s SUV and were laughing at something pointless when Buffy was almost knocked to the ground from a free flying basketball. The girls looked around, shocked as a the ball rolled away and into the empty street.

“Bollocks, sorry loves, is anyone hurt?”

The girls stood, stunned as a stunning young man came running up. He was young, about their age, maybe older and just about the most beautiful thing Buffy had ever seen. He was tall, not overly so, and lean, but in a very nice way, he had the body of a swimmer. The most interesting thing about him however was his stark white hair. He stood before them, shirtless in black gym shorts, a look of genuine concern on his face. Buffy was close to drooling, that accent was something. She quickly jerked herself out of it however, when as usual Cordelia spoke up first.

“Yea, we’re fine, no thanks to you. Watch where you toss that thing. God, do people not walk freely in what ever country you’re from?” She snapped in her best, ‘I’m rich, and you’re beneath me‘, tone. With that they left him standing there as they walked quickly across the yard. Buffy tried not to notice that he was still looking at her as they walked into the house and closed the door.

“God, what was that thing?” Cordelia asked the other girls with disgust. “Did you see that hair? Damn I am so glad I don’t have to rely on the outside world for sex anymore.” She looked genuinely pained as she walked over to the fridge and grabbed all three girls a water and slammed the door shut. Faith and Buffy exchanged a look at Cordy’s extreme behavior. But the just shrugged and took the bottles following the irate girl into the living room to wait for the guys.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I look back on those moments as the final ones before our carefully constructed world started to fall down around us. We were so clueless.

~TBC~