A/N ok...virtually dead for months and now continously updating...don't ask me why.


Buffy arrived early the next morning, hoping to have a chance to thank Spike again for dinner and more importantly to tell him that she enjoyed his company. But when she passed his office, the door was closed and Anya was searching urgently through a file drawer. It didn't look like the time to just pop in.

Not surprisingly, Angel was nowhere to be seen. Tara arrived about ten minutes later, sorting through the mail.

Buffy spent the first part of the morning organizing the material she'd researched the day before and typing her notes while convincing Tara that there was nothing going on between her and Angel.

She'd just completed printing out the results when a breathless Angel entered the office. From the look of him, he'd raced all the way up from his car. Briefcase in hand, he marched up to her desk.

"Do you have those notes ready?" he asked, reaching for the file before Buffy had the chance to present it. She stood up, intending to discuss a number of points with him, but he brushed past her and hurried into his office without a word. She would have followed him, but he closed the door.

Buffy was taken aback. Unsure of what to do, she looked at Tara. The sweet secretary just sighed and shrugged. "Working for Mr. Giles, well. Angel, can be a real trial," she muttered then grinned and added, "No pun intended."

Buffy just rolled her eyes and looked up to see that Angel had re-emerged from his office and was leafing casually through the file. He looked over at Buffy and his face relaxed into a broad smile.

"You're an angel," he said, kissing her cheek as he walked past. Buffy had seen him kiss Tara in the same affectionate way, so she thought nothing of it.

"I'll be in a meeting with Will this morning," Angel announced on his way out the door.

As the morning progressed, Buffy found herself wondering exactly what her role in the office was. Although Angel had recently been assigned the RJ Brooks case, his work load had been light in the past few months. Now that she'd finished the research project, there was barely enough to keep her busy.

From various bits and pieces, Buffy had learned that Angel's interest in corporate law had waned recently. Surely Spike hadn't hired her expecting miracles? Since he was so skittish about Angel's troubles, Buffy wondered if Tara could fill in some details. She didn't want to be obvious about asking, which could prove tricky since Tara was clearly sensitive about people's feelings.

"Angel's quite the lunchable isn't he? Much salty goodness to be had there. Plus he's such a flirt!" Buffy pretended to gush.

"Yea, if you're into that sort of thing." Tara said quietly.

Buffy gave her a weird side glance. "Completely gorgeous isn't your 'kind of thing'?"

"Completely male isn't my kind of thing."

"Oh, so. Do you have a girlfriend or something?"

"Yes, her name is Dawn."

"That's pretty. Who's Faith?" Buffy asked, changing the subject abruptly.

"That woman. Stole poor Liam's heart. She was the only woman he ever loved, and I guess she didn't feel the same way about him..." Tara clamped her mouth closed as though she'd already said far more than she should.

But Buffy had already known all that. She wanted details. Who was this woman who'd hurt Angel so badly? Her back stiffened at the thought of someone rejecting him. The man she'd worshiped during her teenage years. Whoever this woman was, Buffy decided, she was a total bitch.

At about eleven Angel, walked back into the office. He smiled as he strolled past Tara's desk to hers. "The research you did was great, Buffy. Thank you."

His appreciation caught her off guard. She wondered if Spike had said something to him and was momentarily speechless.

"Will said you were here till almost eight."

"It's nothing to worry about. That's my job."

"Mom and Dad are having a barbecue this weekend," Angel continued, "Saturday around four. I'd like you to go with me."

His invitation threw her for another loop. She wasn't sure what to say. Although she hadn't had a lot of work experience, she knew that dating the boss could lead to problems.

"This shouldn't be a difficult decision," Angel said, grinning.

His pride had already suffered one blow, and Buffy discovered she was unwilling to deliver the second, no matter how slight. "I guess it could be fun," she said. "Thanks for thinking of me."

He smiled affectionately. "You were always such a sweet little thing."

As a teenager, Buffy's daydreams had been filled with such scenarios. She'd close her eyes and pretend Angel had asked her to the Bronze or somewhere cool like that. Now her dream had come true, but Buffy was left wishing it had been Spike issuing the invitation, instead of his brother.

"I'll pick you up. You are living in the city, aren't you?"

Buffy nodded. "Wouldn't it be simpler if we met at the party? I'm spending the weekend with my parents-I can just walk over with them." Buffy and Angel's parents both lived near the shore about 15 minutes out of town.

Angel seemed a bit surprised by her suggestion. "You're sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Great then. I look forward to seeing you there."

There'd been a time in her life when she would have gladly walked across fire to go somewhere with Angel. Anywhere. Hadn't Spike been counting on that when he hired her? Even if he claimed to know she was long over her crush?

"You can dance can't you, sweetness?"

"Uh, not the kind of dancing you would do at a family gathering," Buffy said with a wry grin.

"I guess we'll just have to leave the fancy footwork to Will."

Spike, she thought with a sigh. There was clearly something wrong with her, something psychological, something rooted deep in her childhood, she guessed, if she could go on a date with one brother while wanting the other, especially when said other brother would be attending this party as well.

The hours flew by and before Buffy knew it, the workday had come to an end. Tara had just stepped out of the office when Spike casually strolled in.

"Angel's left for the day," Buffy said, a little flustered to find him standing in front of her desk. Especially since she'd again been thinking how much she would rather attend the party with him.

"I'm not here to see my brother."

"Tara will be right back."

"I came to see you, pet," Spike explained, his eyes dark and intense as they settled on her.

Buffy tensed. Did he have some complaint with her work?

"Don't look so worried. I came to tell you my parents are holding a party this weekend."

"Yea, Angel mentioned it earlier."

Buffy swore Spike's eyes brightened with interest. He crossed his arms and leaned against her desk. "What did he say about it?"

"Not much."

"I see." He hesitated as if he was unsure, which Buffy knew was completely un-Spike like. "I was wondering." he began, then straightened and buried his hands deep in his pants pockets. "Would you like to come to the party with me?"

Her shoulders sagged as she opened her mouth to explain that Angel had already invited her, but before she could respond Spike added, "I realize it's short notice, but I didn't know about it until this morning." A hint of a smile turned up the corners of his mouth. "Mum phoned, wanting to be sure I'd be there. She takes her duties as hostess very seriously."

"Ah."

"There's a problem," he guessed.

She nodded glumly. "Angel's already invited me to the party - as his date." She wanted to tell Spike she'd much prefer to go with him, but she couldn't. "I'm sorry," she added.

"He did?" Instead of looking displeased at the turn of events, Spike clearly sounded delighted. "Don't be sorry."

His reaction annoyed her. A lot.

"It isn't like a real date," she said, wanting to make that clear. "At least that was the impression Angel gave off. He was thanking me for working so hard on the research project. He was giving thanks to the wonder that is Buffy's note-taking skills. Much like the pilgrims thanked the Indians-er Native Americans, but instead of Thanksgiving Day, it's like Thanks-Buffy Day." Buffy blushed, then quickly added, "Sorry babbling."

"That was some high class babbling at least.Trust me, Angel wouldn't invite you if he wasn't interested in your company," Spike insisted. "Besides, I wouldn't want my brother to think I was cutting into his territory."

His territory.

Spike must have guessed her feelings, because he quickly amended his words, "After all, Angel did ask you first, luv."

He was right about that, she thought, but little else.

Spike turned away, and it suddenly became important to Buffy to explain herself. "I don't think you should put much stock in Angel's invite. Really it's stockless."

"It's a start though, don't you think?" Spike said over his shoulder. "A good start, at that." He left her then, before she could respond.

Buffy was upset, and it wasn't until she got home that she figured out why. Spike didn't invite her to the party out of any real desire for her company. He'd assumed that Angel hadn't asked her and he was looking for an opportunity to throw her and his brother together socially.



"It was sweet of Angel to include you," Joyce Summers said to Buffy and Cordelia as they got ready for the party. "Not that I'm surprised, him being your boss and all. Life is full of little twists and turns, isn't it?"

"It sure is," Buffy replied, not thinking about Angel at all.

"I'm thrilled that you're working with Angel."

"He's a nice person."

"He's wonderful. It's always been my dream, I know it's silly, but well, we're such good friends with the Giles. I've hoped you'd grow up to marry one of Jenny's boys."

"Whatever you do," Buffy said quickly, "don't ever say that in front of Spike or Angel."

"Why not, dear?"

"Mom, it'd be embarrassing!"

"But you were so smitten with Angel a few years back, and I thought-I hoped."

"Mother! I was thirteen!" Why did everyone insist on fixating on her silly high school crush? Let it die people!

"Alright, Alright." Joyce said, holding up her hands as a sign of surrender.

Cordy merely chuckled throughout the entire exchange.



Even before Buffy and her parents arrived for the barbecue, the pungent smells of tomato sauce, spices, and roasting meat mingled with the afternoon sunshine and drifted over the fence.

As they were greeted at the front door, Buffy was reminded, by the way Jenny hugged her mother, what very good friends the two women were. Their friendship spanned twenty years, and they were like sisters. Buffy felt the same way about Cordy and Willow.

When Buffy didn't immediately see Angel or Spike, she wandered outside. A series of round tables decorated in red checked tablecloths were scattered across the lush expanse of lawn. The day was perfect, warm but not hot, and the sky was cloudless. A soft breeze ruffled the leaves of the large shade tress that lined the property. The smells of food were heavenly, too, reminding her how hungry she was. Shopping and preparing for the party hadn't left time for lunch.

Several dozen guests had arrived, and Buffy scanned the crowd. She spotted Angel standing next to a lovely blonde. Buffy didn't recognize the woman, and a few discreet inquiries got her nowhere. She became all the more curious. She attempted to make her way to Angel, since she was officially his date, but really, she just wanted to know who the blonde woman was. Perhaps it was Angel's new romantic interest, she thought hopefully. But before she could reach them, she was waylaid by some family friends. Most of the Giles' guests were older people, established names Buffy had known or heard all her life.

"Hello, Buffy," Spike said from behind her.

His eyes glimmered with appreciation. "You look-" he hesitated as though he didn't know what to say "-good."

Buffy wagered that it wasn't often Spike was at a loss for words.

"I imagine you're wondering who that blonde is, the one draping herself all over Angel," he suggested casually.

Buffy pretended she was, although she couldn't help being grateful to this unknown woman for keeping Angel occupied. Otherwise he might feel obliged to pay attention to her, and she'd much rather spend her time with Spike.

"Who is she?" Buffy asked, playing his game.

"Do I detect a small hint of jealousy?"

"Of course not." The question irritated her greatly.

"That's Darla Stone."

"Who?"

"Her father is new here. He might become a partner at Chase Corporations."

That explained it. Mr. Stone would probably become a client of theirs. Buffy was pleased to see him apparently enjoying himself.

"Would you like me to introduce you?" Spike asked.

"No," Buffy said, noticing Darla and Angel moving toward the dance area. "Angel's having a good time. I see no reason to interrupt."

"You're his date."

"But only because you wanted it that way."

Spike's eyes narrowed. "What makes you say that?"

"I'm not completely naïve, you know. I know the reason you came into my office to invite me was that you didn't think Angel had - you wanted to make sure the two of us were together in a social situation so you could see what happened. Am I right?"

He joined his hands behind his back and took two small steps away, then turned to face her again. She saw a hint of a smile in his eyes. "If you're right-though I'm not saying you are-I'd never admit it."

"No wonder you're a lawyer. You must wreak havoc on a jury."

"That's what I get paid for."

Buffy looked toward the dance area again and couldn't see Angel and Darla. When she glanced over at the picnic area, she found the pair sitting at a table beneath a large elm tree munching on barbeque sandwiches.

"She's beautiful," Buffy murmured, watching the couple, "No wonder Angel's forgotten me."

"Darla may be beautiful, but you are even more so," Spike returned quickly, then looked as if he regretted speaking.

"Thank you."

"I shouldn't have said that."

"Why not? That makes me think you didn't mean it."

"I shouldn't be the one saying such things to you," Spike replied. "You're Angel's date."

"He seems to have forgotten, which is fine by me. I'd rather spend my valuable time with you anyways."

"With me?" Spike repeated, sounding appalled by the mere suggestion. "Are you hungry?" he asked, quickly changing the subject.

"Not really," she said, thinking Spike might conveniently leave her once they've sat.

Spike eyed her speculatively. "Are you sure?"

"Well, maybe I'm a little bit hungry. Will you come sit with me?"

"If you insist, lu- Buffy."

The band started to play a popular tune, and as her foot tapped to the beat, Buffy enjoyed the feast. Angel seemed to have forgotten her, but she was far from being offended, feeling only a sense of relief.

Spike's invitation to dance came as quite a surprise. "Why do you wanna dance with me?" she asked, thinking it somehow involved his brother.

"Do I need a reason, pet?"

Buffy hesitated, then nodded. "If you're thinking it's a way to get Angel to notice me, then I'd rather sit out."

"What if I said it was because I wanted to see how you fit in my arms?"

Her heart gave a flutter. "Then I'd agree." She met his gaze directly. "So why do you wanna dance with me?"

He took a long time deciding, much longer than should have been necessary. Slowly he pushed back his chair and stood. "Why don't we find out together," he suggested, leading her by the hand toward the farthest reaches of the dance area.

The party was in full swing by now, with a good number of couples gently swaying to the music. Several old family friends stopped to chat with Buffy and Spike as they made their way toward the dancers, and Buffy could sense Spike's impatience.

They reached the outskirts of the crowd, and Spike turned Buffy in his arms. They fit together perfectly, like jigsaw pieces. Spike was an excellent dancer, actually moving around the dance floor instead of spinning in circles or just swaying back and forth. He held her loosely about the waist and gazed down at her as if they'd been dancing together all their lives.

"You're good at this."

Spike simply smirked and said, "That amazes you, doesn't it?"

"Yes." It was pointless to deny it. She was discovering that Spike was full of surprises. Just then Buffy felt someone brush against her. She turned to see Angel, partnered with Darla.

"Well, well, if it isn't Buffy and Spike," Angel said with a smile, not sounding jealous in the least.

It hadn't taken long to attract Angel's attention, and Buffy groaned inwardly, wondering if Spike planned it this way.

"You haven't met Darla, have you?" Angel murmured. Without waiting for a response, he made the introductions.

Buffy could see that the blonde had fallen under Angel's spell, just like most women did. Buffy nearly felt sorry for the unsuspecting woman. Angel did have a reputation as a playboy.

The two couples moved off to get something to drink. They were making small talk and sipping punch when Spike suddenly asked Darla to dance. The woman glanced anxiously at Angel, clearly reluctant to leave him. Buffy smiled softly to herself, recognizing Spike's ploy. He'd all but thrown her and Angel together.

Spike and Darla joined the throng of dancers. "This has been fun," Buffy said to Angel. "Your mom throws great parties."

"Uh huh," Angel commented distractedly, his eyes following the other couple. "Shall we?" he asked, holding out his hand to her.

It became apparent as they moved into the dancing area that Angel was more interested in keeping an eye on Darla than dancing with Buffy. She and Angel made polite conversation, but his attention wandered as often as her own. The dance couldn't end soon enough for either of them.

When it did, she was grateful Spike and Darla were on the far side of the dance area, because she needed time and space to figure out her thoughts. Angel was whisked away by an older couple who wanted to speak to him privately. He cast Buffy an apologetic look and moved away.

She moseyed over to the far reaches of the property, near the fence that bordered her parents' home. A white footbridge spanned a good-size pond. She stood in the middle of the bridge, dropping small rocks into the still water and watching the ripples.

Being so absorbed, she didn't hear Spike approach and was startled to hear him speak. "I wondered if I'd find you here," he said.

"I used to come here a lot when I was growing up," Buffy admitted. "It's so peaceful, so safe."

A duck glided past and again the still water was disturbed. Buffy wished she'd thought to bring bread crumbs. When she was younger, she always brought bread crumbs.

Spike was silent for a moment, then he said, "You're sick as a parrot, aren't you?"

"Huh? Parrots are sick?"

Spike chuckled good-naturedly. "No, luv, it means upset."

"Upset? About what?"

"It's over, you know," Spike assured her softly. "It was over a long time ago-more than six months now. I thought Angel would get over her, but I was wrong."

Oh shit, Buffy thought. Apparently Spike thought she was here at the pond brooding about Angel, when in fact nothing could be farther from the truth. She'd been standing on the bridge thinking about her relationship or lack thereof with Spike.

"Who was she?" Buffy was still curious.

"Someone he met at the beach. No name the family had ever heard of before, not that it mattered. Faith Evans."

"What happened?"

"I don't think anyone really knows for sure. Angel was devastated. Brooded for weeks, you know how he can be. He hasn't been the same since. He'd been in and out of a dozen relationships, and I just thought he wouldn't really fall for anyone, but I was wrong."

"You have no idea what happened between him and Faith?"

"No. He changed abruptly after the breakup, started working odd hours. But his heart clearly wasn't in it, so I cut back his work load. That helped for a time, but now I think I've really bollocks'd things up. I've never seen him more miserable."

"Why don't you just talk to him?"

"I've tried," Spike admitted, "but it hasn't helped. If anything, he's resented my prying. This broken relationship seems to have cut him more deeply than he's willing to admit."

"He'll get over her," Buffy said reassuringly. "It just takes time."

"I thought so, too." Spike shrugged. "But now I wonder. It's been more than six months." He paused, gazing down at the water. "He needs you, Buffy. You might be the only one able to reach him."

"Me?"

"I knew the minute Da mentioned you were coming to apply for a job that you could very well be the answer to our prayers." She started to say something, but Spike wouldn't let her. "You're just going to need a lot of patience."

Buffy sighed in frustration. "If I'm going to need patience, it's with you. You and your family seem to think I'm still a kid with a crush on Angel."

Spike's eyes darkened. "All right, All right, I didn't mean to offend. You're old enough to make up your own mind."

"Thank you for that," she said. Turning away from him, she rested her hands on the railing and stared into the serene waters below. "I remember once when I was about six coming to this bridge and crying my eyes out," she murmured.

"Why? Who made you cry?"

"You," she said, turning and jabbing a playful finger at his chest.

"Me?!" Buffy had never seen such an expression of outraged innocence. "What did I bloody do?" Spike demanded.

"Giles was taking you and Angel to the roller coaster at Sandy Shores. My dad was out of town, again, on business, and our moms were gonna go shopping. They didn't really want to drag me along, and I can't remember who, but one of them suggested I go to the carnival with you and Angel."

"And I didn't want you with us," Spike finished for her.

"Not that I blame you. No 12-year-old boy wants a six-year-old girl tagging along."

Spike chuckled. "Times change, don't they?"

To Buffy's surprise, Spike reached for her hand. He linked their fingers together and tugged her off the bridge. "Where are we going?" She protested half-heartedly. He glanced back at her, as if in surprise that she hadn't already guessed. "Where else, pet? The beach. From what I understand, the same rollercoaster is still running. I'll make it up to you. Besides, the party is winding down, and I don't think we'll be missed, do you?"

She couldn't help but agree.