A/N Thanks for all the reviews and the support. I promise this story WILL get finished...I've got a new inspiration now, and a strong desire to please...



Carrying a sticky ball of pink cotton candy in one hand and a stuffed penguin in the other, Buffy listened to the teeny music of the merry-go-round as she and Spike approached the roller coaster.

"Spike…I don't know if this is such a good idea…"

"What? This is why we came, remember?"

"But you filled me up with all this junk food and now you want me to ride this thing-" Buffy protested.

"It'll be fine, luv. Come on."

Spike led her by the elbow to the long line for the roller coaster.

"What am I supposed to do with Pierre?"

"Who?" Spike asked, looking confused.

Buffy gestured to the penguin.

"Pierre the Penguin?" Spike asked skeptically.

"No, Pierre LaFontaine."

"What kind of name is that? For a penguin?"

Spike cocked his head to the side and raised a scarred eyebrow.

"What? He's a French penguin."

"Oh," Spike replied with a smirk.

"So, what am I supposed to do with him?" she asked again.

"Hold him." Spike replied as the cars came to a stop in front of them.

"If I'm holding him, who's going to hold me?" Buffy asked, following Spike to the front car.

"I will." Spike answered, grabbing her hand and helping her sit down.

"I don't think this ride is very safe." Buffy said as the bar fell into place. "When's the last time it had a safety inspection?"

"Thursday."

"Just promise you won't fling your arms up like a crazy person."

"I wouldn't dream of it," Spike said. "Besides, I already promised to hold on to you."

Buffy flushed slightly but didn't respond. Heights were something she generally avoided, which meant she was trapped into closing her eyes. The penguin was cradled in her arms, much in the same way Spike was cradling her.

The cars slowly made their ascent, chugging up the steep incline, making a straining noise as if the weight was too much to bear. The line of cars topped the peak and started its rapid descent. A scream of excitement froze in her throat as they plummeted downward. Spike's arm tightened around her shoulders. Her free hand gripped his, her nails digging into his fingers, but if she was hurting him, he gave no indication. Throughout the ride, the cars led them on a crazy, twisting, turning journey that left her stomach far behind. Her eyes were closed so tightly, her face ached.

When at last they rolled to a halt, Buffy's shoulders surged forward, righted and then sagged with a twinge of disappointment as she realized the ride was over.

Spike laughed, taking her hand to help her climb out of the cramped car. "You had fun," he accused.

"I plead the fifth."

"Admit it! I was right and you were wrong."

"I'm not saying anything." Buffy smirked wickedly and turned her head up.

Spike laughed again and tucked his arm around her waist. His action seemed so natural, especially since her knees clearly had yet to right themselves. Buffy reveled in the warmth his arms gave her.

"You ready to head back?" Spike asked as they neared the brightly lit, arched entry.

She nodded, but in fact she didn't want the night to end. Their time together had been perfect. Perhaps now Spike would understand that it was his company she wanted and not Angel's. Maybe now he'd realize she was no longer the girl next door.

Hopefully, Angel's obvious attraction to Darla would blossom into something more, and then the Giles would stop looking to her for solutions.

She and Spike joked and talked all the way to her apartment. It was after eleven by then, but she was keyed up with excitement. Somehow she felt it would all end when Spike left, and she wasn't ready to let that happen.

"Do you want to come up?" she asked, not really expecting he would, but hoping she could change his mind.

He glanced her way as though judging the sincerity of her offer. "Sure, pet."

He found a parking spot, got out of the car and then went around to open her door. A true gentleman, she thought not for the first time.

"Miss Buffy, I was wondering when you would be home," the doorman said as he held the door open. "I was getting worried."

Buffy laughed softly. "Who needs to live with their parents when I have you worrying over me? Good night, Wesley. Give Fred and the kids a hug for me."

"I will. When are you coming by for dinner? Fred's been asking about you again."

"I'll be there next week." Buffy called over her shoulder as the elevator doors opened. She turned and said, "Have her call me - I miss you guys. Cordy and I will be sure to stop by."

"Good night, Elizabeth."

"Who was that?" Spike asked after the elevator doors had closed.

"An old friend. The only reason he took that job was to watch over me. He and his wife are teachers. He teaches english, and she teaches science."

"You sure you don't want to close your eyes?" Spike asked suddenly.

"Why?" Buffy asked, slightly startled by the abrupt question.

"This elevator is moving at death-defying speeds. Who knows the last time it was checked for safety," Spike teased, his deep blue eyes twinkling in delight.

"Thursday."

Spike laughed delightedly.

"I don't know," she teased. "You might be right." Jokingly, she squinted her eyes closed, but when she did, Spike kissed her.

It took Buffy a moment to realize what had happened. Spike had actually kissed her. It was a simple, uncomplicated kiss. The kind a brother gives a sister. One pair of lips touching another.

Only problem was - it didn't feel simple.

If anything, it left her longing for much, much more. Dumbstruck, she blinked up at him, not knowing how to respond.

"Don't look so shocked," Spike muttered.

"I…" She closed her mouth to stop herself from asking him to kiss her again.

"It was just a kiss," Spike said, looking down as though his shoes were the most interesting things in the world.

"I know," she muttered, joining in the shoe-staring party by looking at her own. She realized he regretted the impulse and wished she knew of some way to tell him how thoroughly she'd enjoyed it. But before she could find the words, the elevator stopped.

Buffy led the way to her apartment and unlocked the door. Turning on the light, she moved into the cheery yellow kitchen, and, as was her habit, flipped the switch to her answering machine. Cordelia's voice greeted her.

"Buff. Hey, it's me. I just got back from my date with Devon. We're over-again. But anyways I was wondering how your date went. I know you were excited about the possibilities." Cordy laughed softly. "Anyways, call me later."

"Possibilities with my brother? What are your intentions with Angel?" Spike asked in a mock-stern voice.

"That's not what she meant," Buffy insisted. She knew that Cordy was wondering if she told Spike how she felt. "She was actually talking about-"

"Listen, I better go. It's later then I realized."

Buffy sighed in disappointment. Damn Cordelia! "Are you sure?"

"Yea, pet. I'm sure." Pausing in front of her, he drew his hand against the side of her face. "Thanks for saving me from that boring party, Buffy. I had a great time."

"Thank you," she whispered back, leaning against his touch.

All too soon, Spike disappeared out the door. She'd hoped he'd kissed her again before he left. He'd been tempted, she could see it in his eyes, but he'd resisted.

Buffy wasn't at all tired, and needing to talk, she picked up the phone.

"Hello?" a groggy Willow answered on the fourth ring.

"I didn't wake you, did I?"

"Not really…Hold on. Oz go back to bed, I'm fine - it's Buffy. Yes, I'll shout if I need anything." Willow sighed. "Worried husbands. At first it's really cute, but now I'm getting a little annoyed."

Both friends shared a laugh.

"So…What's up? I know you didn't call to hear about Oz."

"Well…"

Willow listened carefully as Buffy told her about her problems with the Giles brothers, occasionally making comments and asking questions.

"Hmmm…Times like these, makes me wish I was back in SunnyD. This sounds very interesting," Willow said, when Buffy finished her story.

"Sorry to wake you, but I needed to babble."

"That's alright. I love hearing from you guys."

"Well, I'll let you sleep. Bye Willow, Bye Buffy Jr."

"For the last time, woman, we will not name our child Buffy Jr." Willow replied in mock- anger.

"Damn straight." was heard in the background in Oz's calm voice.

Hanging up the phone, Willow told Oz to go to bed. She picked up the phone and dialed a number she knew by heart. "Cordy, it's me. Buffy needs our help…"

Buffy arrived bright and early at the office Monday morning. Angel had apparently been to work at some point during the weekend, because he'd left her a list of instructions. His notes included a series of laws he needed her to research. Buffy went to the library and got straight to work.

Spike walked into the library some time later. "So, you are here," he said, sounding surprised. "Tara didn't think you had come in for the day. I phoned your apartment and got the answering machine."

Buffy straightened in her chair and arched her back, hoping to relieve the tension in her tired muscles. A glance at her watch told her it was nearly eleven. She'd been so involved she hadn't noticed the time.

"I've been here all morning," she explained, pinching the bridge of her nose. The words were beginning to blur in front of her eyes. Some of the reading was dull, but there were several cases she found intriguing.

Spike left and returned a moment later with a steam cup of coffee. "Here," he said, handing it to her. "Take a break before you go blind, pet."

"Has Angel shown up yet?" Buffy asked, taking a sip.

Spike sighed. "Not yet. But Angel comes and goes as he likes, or at least he has for the past several months."

"Well, he left some work to do, so he must have been in yesterday." She paused. "What about him and Darla?" She sincerely hoped they hit it off.

"It's too soon to tell, but maybe there's some hope there." Good. Spike sounded as if he really meant it.

"I want Angel to be happy," she said, not exactly sure why it was important for Spike to know that.

"Exactly." Spike smiled and got up to walk over to the polished bookcase. He pulled down a well-used volume. "Take some advice?" he asked, tucking the book under his arm.

"And what advice is that, oh wise one?"

"Don't skip lunch," Spike answered over his shoulder as he walked out the door.

"I won't," she promised.

As promised, Buffy took her lunch hour and returned to find Angel searching for her. He sat down next to her in the library and reviewed her notes, asked a series of intelligent questions and made comments every now and then about her progress. Several times he praised her efforts. He made a few notations himself, and they spent the better part of an hour discussing different aspects of the RJ Brooks case.

After Angel left, Buffy was exhilarated. Spike had revealed a keen insight into his brother's personality by assigning him to this case. Representing RJ had given Angel the challenge he needed; had given him a purpose, a cause. Angel was no slouch. He was dynamic, sharp and dedicated to representing this former athlete to the best of his ability and to the full extent of the law.

Several hours passed, and although it was late, Buffy decided to trudge on until she was finished.

"It's six o'clock and time for you to go home," Spike said from behind her in a tone she recognized. It was the one he used when he wouldn't listen to a word of argument. The one that swayed juries.

"I'll be finished in a bit," Buffy murmured, eyes not leaving the book in front of her.

"You'll be finished now."

"Spike-" Buffy said, looking up from the book.

"Don't argue with me, kitten. It won't do any good."

She closed the book she was reading and stood up. Every small movement of her lithe body spelled reluctance.

"Did you take time for lunch?"

"Yes, Daddy, I did," Buffy said in a child-like voice, rolling her eyes all the while.

"Clearly you didn't, otherwise you wouldn't be snapping at me."

"I did so-and I'm not snapping! I'm, I'm…ok fine, I'm snapping, but I did eat! I did, I went to the Expresso Pump and got a sandwich and, and, some of those chips that come in the little bags, and-"

"That does it!"

"That does what? What are you gonna do, Mr. Big Bad Bossman?" Buffy taunted, stepping closer to him.

"I'm going to, well, I'm going to…take you to dinner," he finished lamely.

"Dinner! But Spike, you've already-"

"Pizza," he said, "the deep-dish variety. There's a small Italian restaurant around the corner. I swear it's one of the best-kept secrets in Sunnyhell."

"Pizza," Buffy repeated slowly and her stomach growled in anticipation. "Well, if you insist, and it seems that you do." She reached for her purse.

They walked to the restaurant, which was nestled in the basement of one of the older buildings. The marble floors were badly worn, and the architecture showed that the structure had been built in the early thirties. Buffy had passed the building a hundred times and barely given it a second's notice.

"How'd you hear about this restaurant?"

"Angel…It's where Faith took him on their first date."

"Faith took him?"

"Faith wasn't like most girls," Spike said, softly chuckling as he remembered the firey girl who stole his brother's heart.

"Oh."

The proprietor greeted Spike as if he were a long-lost cousin, kissing him on both cheeks and speaking in Italian as he looked approvingly at Buffy.

"What did he say?" she asked after they were seated at a table covered with a white cloth. A candle flickered from inside a small red vase, and shadows danced across the opposite wall.

"I'm, um, not sure. I only know a few words myself, pet," Spike said, glancing anywhere, but at her.

"In that case, you did a good job of faking it. You should get a Grammy for that performance," Buffy replied sarcastically.

"All right, you stubborn chit, if you must know, Antonio assumed we're lovers," Spike said casually, opening the menu.

"You told him the truth, didn't you?" Buffy asked, her face reddening.

"No."

"Spike, you can't let that man believe you and I…"

"You're probably right, I shouldn't. Especially when it's my brother you're in love with, not me," Spike replied, trying not to sound bitter.

Buffy set the menu aside and leaned forward until her stomach pressed against the edge of the table. They needed to get this straight between them once and for all. "I'm not in love with Angel," she whispered heatedly.

"All right, All right."

"You don't sound convinced."

"I'm convinced," he said, without looking at her. Whatever was offered on the menu had apparently captured his full attention.

"You better be…or I'll kick your ass," Buffy muttered, reaching for her own menu. She was about to suggest the pepperoni pizza when a basket of warm bread was brought to their table. The lovely dark-haired woman who'd delivered it caught Spike's face between her hands and kissed him soundly on both cheeks. Buffy must have looked shocked, because the older woman said, "You don't need to worry-I won't steal William away from you."

She said a few words in Italian, making Spike go pale at her words. Buffy's own knowledge of Italian was small, very small, but she knew what bambino meant.

"Spike, tell me what she said."

He was silent while the same woman poured them each a glass of wine and brought a plate of antipasto. Then he sighed. "Nona says you seem good and sturdy."

"Liar."

Spike's eyes widened slightly at the accusation before replying, "I'm not lying!"

"Fine you're not lying, liar."

"Buffy!"

"What? It's not my fault you're a liar," She replied innocently.

"Buffy, I already told you I only know a few words of Italian."

"Fine…Go ahead and lie. It doesn't bother me," she said, turning to study the paintings on the wall.

"Will you bloody well stop?"

Glancing back at him, Buffy grinned evilly. "Nope."

Spike sighed. "If you must know, Nona said you'll make a good mother to my children."

"See? Doesn't it feel better to be honest?" Buffy questioned, eyes sparkling with delight.

"She said that you were good and sturdy!" Spike replied rather loudly.

Buffy laughed at the annoyed look on Spike's face.

"Bloody hell women! You're driving me crazy."

"Admit it, you love it."

"Yea, I do," Spike said softly. Clearing his throat he changed the subject. "So what kind of pizza catches your fancy?"



"Thank you for dinner," Buffy said.

"You're welcome."

Spike fell strangely quiet as they walked to the law library. Before she left for the night, Buffy wanted to put the books back that she'd been studying. Spike worked silently with her. When they were finished, he preceded her from the room, automatically turning off the light.

The room was suddenly dark and Buffy bumped into a table.

"Buffy," Spike called softly.

"I'm fine," she assured him, walking toward the hall light.

"That's the problem," he muttered, reaching for her. She was in his arms before she realized it. "I'm not." With that, his mouth came down on hers.