Author's Chapter Notes:
Uh...all the usual disclaimers apply...i dont own buffy or the buffyverse nor spike yadyadyada. Im simply here to give spuffy lovers like myself something to entertain themselves with ;P
It was a love triangle of the worst kind. She’d only ever had eyes for him, and he’d only ever had eyes for her twin. It was laughable really, considering how much they resembled each other; identical to the point of confusion among even close acquaintances. Lizzie blamed it on the hair. They both had shiny gold strands of shoulder length hair to drive even the most sensible boys crazy. Their styles were never that drastically different but it was their personalities that set them apart.

Lizzie was the prodigal daughter, the beautiful, popular, straight A student that most envied. She was captain of the debate team, part of the yearbook and prom committees, and at one point was even on the girls softball team, to name a few – though prior commitments forced her not to pursue it further. All in all she was the one who had plans on going to Harvard next year and later pursue a career in law. She was nothing like Buffy herself.

Buffy, who always felt she was standing in her sisters shadow, not because she was any less gifted - oh no, never that. But it was because of him; the way he had gravitated toward Lizzie ever since they had been kids. She remembered how he used to send her sister flowers and then his awful poetry that Lizzie used to share with her and laugh at. Thinking back she thought that was what first attracted her to him, his sensitivity. All the other boys in town were loud and obnoxious, mostly jerks, but who could expect anything from ten year olds. Lizzie never got this she was always mooning over Liam Angelus, who in Buffy’s opinion was no better than the other boys but Lizzie said he had the face of an angel and he used to send her those flirty looks so back then he was Lizzie’s crush.

A lot had changed since then. William had shed his sensitive persona shortly after the death of his mother although Buffy still saw the sensitive boy in him sometimes who had moved all the way from England. Now he was sexy in the obvious way and went by Spike, starring in most of her erotic dreams. He was also dating her sister. And that was only where her guilt began.

~*~


The first time it had happened it was a mistake, on both their parts but she mainly held herself responsible. She should never have borrowed Lizzie’s shirt, or been in her room rummaging through her makeup. When he’d come in from behind and held her close, she’d recognized him immediately. She knew him by scent, he had the sexiest cologne. It felt like a dream at first. His hands were circling her waist, his face pressed in her hair so that for a moment she felt as if maybe he knew it was her.

“You smell like honey-suckle. I wanna eat you up.” His growl was low in his throat but it sent a bolt to her heart. A twist in her gut, the result of his words; he could only talk to Lizzie like that. Her second mistake that night was not ending it then and there. She stood quiet when she should have set him straight. She responded to his soft touch when she should have twisted away. Lizzie was in the shower just a few feet away and here she was in his arms accepting first his touch, and then with a tilt of his head his gentle kiss on her mouth. It wasn’t like her dreams at all yet it felt like all her dreams had come true. He held her lightly by the waist as he plundered her mouth with his tongue, tasting of smoky cigarettes and mint. She’d brought her hands up around his neck without her knowledge and was slowly running her fingers through the hair at the nape of his sinewy neck. It was a study in eroticism, the way he possessed her. She was melting right into him with how he took her breath away.

At last they parted for air, she eager to keep contact with his skin even as she sucked in large amounts of air. His forehead lightly rested upon hers, his azure eyes sparkling with desire. It felt like he was seeing her for the first time and for a second she almost let herself believe he knew who she was.

“If I didn’t have a reservation and a night planned out for us you’d be on the bed right now.” He gave her a devilish smile, dimples and all, as he gave her a final quick peck before backing away. “Get dressed and I’ll meet you downstairs, pet.” With a sassy wink he was out the door.

She slid to the floor with her labored breathing and shaking knees. Her hand rose unbidden towards her tingling mouth, where his soft lips had been just moments before. The jumbled mess of thoughts halted in her head as she heard the running water trickle to a stop. Lizzie was done her shower. A guilty nauseating lump formed in her stomach as she quickly dumped the borrowed mascara on the dresser and ran out the door to her own bedroom. Slamming her postered door, she slid to her carpeted floor in relief. It was a terrible mistake was what it was, she thought to herself. She’d just have to watch herself around him from now on. She had to keep her distance from him. Keep away from the temptation. She only wished she could convince herself of that before she saw him again.

~*~

Spike sat sprawled on the summers couch waiting for her to come down, heart hammering. He didn’t think she’d ever kissed him like she had upstairs before. The way her tongue had caressed his had sent a bolt of passion through his groin. He had to push her away and make the excuse of their night out, or he probably would’ve taken her right there, her virginity be damned. He’d have to keep himself in check tonight.

He had to wait another half an hour before she came downstairs, looking as stunning as usual. By then he had calmed down sufficiently enough that he was able to climb to his feet and gallantly open first the front door, then that of his beloved Desoto for her. Starting the car he was backing out of the driveway when he thought he saw the curtain swish aside in one of the rooms upstairs. The one that belonged to Buffy. For a second a sliver of doubt entered his head, barely enough to register the thought before it was dismissed. It couldn’t have been, he’d have known if it was her.

Lizzie slid across the bench seat and he slid his arm around her, thoroughly concentrating on the evening ahead.