Author's Chapter Notes:
It is highly recommended you read my first two Fanfics as this is the third part of a trilogy. Starting with "William The Bloody Is Back" followed by "The Thin Line Between Love & Hell".
Buffy is confronted by everyone in the gym and has no escape. She was expecting to see the newbies but instead finds the gang waiting for her. They are here to discuss what has been bothering Buffy.

Giles: You know why we are all here don’t you?

Buffy: A surprise trip to Hawaii?

Willow: Buffy we know something has been bothering you. We can all tell that you have been so distant and always seem like you haven’t slept in days.

Buffy: Guys I’m fine…really. I’m just have not been able to sleep as much as I would’ve liked the past week.

Dawn: There is more to it than that.

Giles: Your duties here have been affected as well. The Slayers have been noticing a change in your attitude as it seems like you don’t even care. I won’t allow it to rub off on them.

Buffy: Ok you guys want me to be a hard-ass again I will. I won’t let them have a rest or anymore time to breath. I’m going to work them harder then ever. Satisfied now.

Giles: That’s not the point Buffy we want to know why you been acting the way you’ve been acting.

Willow: Please Buffy just tell us what the deal is. We’re all trying to help you.

Buffy: Enough is enough. There is nothing wrong with me. I’ve been tired been lately and didn’t realize it affected my work. So it won’t happen anymore. Let me just get on with my day.

Dawn: We are not leaving until we get to the bottom of this. We love you Buffy and only want to help.

Buffy: This is pointless and going nowhere. I don’t know what else you want from me. I am not answering anymore of these questions. You can either believe me or don’t believe me. Just bring the newbies in so we can get started.

Giles: You leave us no choice Buffy. From now on you are relieved of your duties until you finally open up to us. Go home until you are ready to talk about this. We will find out eventually what the meaning of all this is.

Semi-relieved Buffy walks off. Now she doesn’t have to worry about work but now she knows that everyone is going to press her on what’s going on. She tells herself that she will tell them when the time is right.

Cut to:
Spike and Clem give off a horrible show as they pretend to fight as Clem is very bad at acting and fighting. Dioxin comes and suspects something’s not right but doesn’t say anything as he has Clem in Hell now. He explains to Clem why he is here and sends him off somewhere to start his stay. Dioxin and Spike have a brief talk about what just happened.

Dioxin: You aren’t inspiring a lot of confidence with me in your abilities. Did you not kill him because you couldn’t or did you show him some mercy? Either way I would like to know.

Spike: Sorry about that he surprised me. When I told him I was there to kill him he ran off and as soon as I got in front of him we fell through the portal. Rest assured the next one won’t be as sloppy.

Dioxin: We shall see…I want you to now get another demon. Be sure to be careful this one will kill anything it sees. This one has been killing for months and doesn’t know how to stop. Send him here and then we shall see if I can truly trust your skills.

Spike: So who’s the next demon? Does it have a name?

Dioxin: A Thesanus demon…

Cut to:
Buffy at home continues her blood letting as she is on the brink of passing out again. The group has sent Dawn to keep an eye on her and not let Buffy out of her sight. Dawn has just come home and notices Buffy is confined to her room again. Dawn knocks on her room.

Dawn: Are you going to come out and eat?

Buffy: Be there in a little while.

Dawn walks away suspicious but doesn’t say anything yet. Buffy has just finished up again but she eventually passes out again.

Cut to:
Dioxin still has concerns but sends Spike onward to his next person on the list. This time it is a very nasty and big demon that Spike doesn’t mind killing.

Spike: Thesanus demon…those demons are more than a handful. Never actually ran into one but I’ve heard stories about them.

Dioxin: And all of them are true. But this is a big test for you Spike. If you fail and you let this demon kill you than you are right back here with me so there is no choice here. It’s either him or you.

Spike: Nice, send me after a big slimy toothy fellow.

Spike calls the name of the demon and the portal opens up and he enters. He finds himself in a jungle. He can hear in the distance screams of people and a loud roar. He goes in search of it. Eventually he finds some native villagers who have been mauled to death. The demon is destroying a village and Spike eventually finds the demon. Spike throws a rock to get the demons attention. This demon is very big with scaly type skin and long sharp teeth. It constantly drools as it turns around toward Spike. He knows what he has to do and immediately waits for the demon to go after him. The demon charges toward him and he dodges it and lets him crash into a tree. Spike then goes around looking for a weapon and finds a spear. He throws the spear as the demon turns around and it lands in his shoulder. The demon pulls it out and runs toward Spike. Quickly he picks up another spear and throws it but the demon bats it away. Finally Spike sees another spear picks it up but the demon is too close so he uses it to impale the demon. The demon falls to his knees but before he dies takes one swing at Spike and knocks him a few feet away. He gets up.

Spike: That wasn’t so bad (grabs his jaw).

Spike then opens the portal back to return to Dioxin. Then he goes back to Dioxin who is impressed at how fast he was able to kill this particular demon.

Dioxin: Is he dead yet (pauses) yes I know he’s on his way here. Very nice job Spike, you weren’t gone very long and now you taken care of a Thesanus demon for me. He had this coming trust me.

Cut to:
Buffy wakes up with the sound of Dawn knocking on the door and wanting to know what she is doing. Buffy quickly hides away all of her things in the closet and runs into the bathroom and turns on the shower. She looks at herself in the mirror and notices how pale she looks and has become. She convinces herself that it’s worth it.

Dawn: You’re not coming out to eat tonight?

Buffy: Dawn, I’m just about to take a shower.

Cut to:
Dioxin and Spike talk about stepping up and moving on to targets that are more important and also harder to send here. Dioxin is starting to test Spike to see if he is ready to complete his true intentions.

Dioxin: This next mission I have for you is going to be unlike any other I send you on. He shouldn’t be too hard for you to take care of. This demon is not a very good fighter by any means so you shouldn’t have any problem. He is nothing without his weapon. You will have to travel to an entirely different dimension than earth. Don’t worry the other demons won’t pay any attention to you.

Spike: Another dimension? Is it anything like this place?

Dioxin: It is in fact a Hell dimension but not like this one. The one who rules over that place has gone soft on those who are there. He would rather watch them kill themselves for food than exact any torture on them. The one you are going after is not the demon lord there but his bodyguard. This demon is the bodyguard and right hand man of the demon lord. The demon has come to earth and killed random people simply to amuse the demon lord. I need you to send him here. First I need you to ask him to follow you here. But he may not go willingly. He doesn’t know why I want him here. So if he doesn’t obey bring him here any way you can. It won’t matter if you kill him because he won’t end up in this place. It is best that you leave him alive and bring him through the portal.

Spike: Won’t this demon lord be angry that I’m going to take away his favorite bodyguard?

Dioxin: No, he was finding that his guard has been acting without his authority so he won’t mind at all. He wants to have him replaced and punished. He asks me to do for him and I said yes.

Spike: I’m just your middle man then I gather. So I go there and tell him to come with me. He refuses, use some gentle persuasion. I’m starting to like this job.

Dioxin: I knew you would now go.

Cut to:
Buffy walks out of her room to get something to eat and Dawn notices how pale she is and confronts her some more about what is going on.

Dawn: What have you been doing in your room all this time? My god, have you seen how pale you look? You aren’t starving yourself are you?

Buffy: No, Dawn look like I told you before I just can’t sleep. Maybe that is starting to catch up with me. I don’t know but I will feel a whole lot better if everyone stops asking me what’s wrong with me.

Dawn: I haven’t seen you eat much in days or do anything but stay in your room. What’s going on in there? Tell me you’re not starving yourself over Spike. I miss him too Buffy, but don’t keep taking it out on yourself.

Buffy: (defensive) I’m not Ok. You want to see me eat then fine come with me to the kitchen and watch me chow down on some food. What I do in my room is my business and no one else’s. God, everyone thinks that I’m so tore up over Spike. I’m not going to lie I miss him a lot. But I’m not letting the fact that he’s stuck there cause me to go nuts. I know that we are going to keep working on bringing him back so I’ve just got to wait.

Dawn: Fine but that still doesn’t change the fact that you are looking like Casper the friendly ghost. There has to be more to it than that.

Buffy: I’ve said what I needed to say to you and I’m not going to keep up with this interrogation. Please don’t tell the others about this. I don’t need them on my case right now.

Buffy walks with Dawn to the kitchen to get something to eat.

Cut to:
Spike enters this new dimension and notices that it is mostly desert and that there are a few demons scattered about looking for food and don’t really notice Spike. He goes to a temple in the distance and finds his demon. He walks into the throne room with the demon lord and his bodyguard.

Spike: (to the demon lord) Dioxin has sent me.

Demon Lord: Hmm…Dioxin has sent a vampire to be his messenger. He must see something in you that I don’t but very well go on with your business. I won’t stand in your way.

Bodyguard: What is this all about? Lord, what should I do with him?

Demon Lord: Nothing. It’s what he is going to do with you. I have warned you for a long time but you continued to disobey me. You keep thinking you know everything. But you are foolish for not hearing my words carefully. This vampire will take you to Dioxin and he will punish you like he does the rest of his demons there.

Bodyguard: Lord, forgive me. I know I have angered you in the past but I thought it was what you wanted.

Demon Lord: Your pleas will not affect my decision as it has already been made and agreed upon. Leave and make it easier on yourself. You have forever to think about what you have done.

Bodyguard: No! I will prove my worth and kill this messenger.

Spike: Wasn’t expecting you to come quietly. (smiles) Let’s see what you got you ponce.

Cut to:
Buffy has finally the amount of blood she needs and decides to let everyone in on what she has been doing and what the plan is. She tells Dawn to call everyone over to her place and explain. Everyone arrives and she tells them who are all shocked that she would do that.

Buffy: I’m sorry you guys for everything really. But I knew that if I told you none of you would let me. You have to understand this was my decision to make and not anyone else’s. I know that I treated some of you badly the past week. But that wasn’t me talking I was honestly tired. This sure took a wallop on me but it’s over now. I have all the blood we need. I’m going to sleep for a few days and rest up until I’m 100 percent because it’s going to be tough getting Spike back I know it.

Giles: I have no words for you right now other than…disappointed. You truly let me down Buffy.

Buffy: I wish you guys could understand what it has been like for me these past couple of weeks. I haven’t been so happy or heart-broken all in a matter of days as I’ve been recently. This is my one chance to finally end all of this misery and I’m not going to waste one second of it. Giles there is nothing I can say to you right now other than sorry. Get ready you guys because in a few days I’m going back there to rescue Spike and I’m going to need everyone’s help and especially support. See ya (leaves).

Buffy goes back to her room expecting the response she just got. She decides that once she gets rested and back to 100 percent that she will stop at nothing to bring back Spike.

Cut to:
Spike has accomplished his mission and brought back the demon through the portal to Dioxin. He is bloody and beaten and very tired after that long ordeal. Dioxin is amazed and very pleased with Spike after all that he has done. Now Dioxin trusts him enough to let him in on what his true intentions are for him.

Dioxin: Impressive, you are doing very well Spike and well on your way to seeing her again.

Spike: When do I get to see Buffy again? I’ve done what you asked of me. Three bloody demons all here for your bleeding pleasure.

Dioxin: In time Spike you will see her but not yet. I have a couple more assignments for you before I can let you see her.

Spike: I’ve been your errand boy long enough. When is this bloody torture going to end? What else do you want from me?

Dioxin: Spike listen to me as I’m about to tell you why I’ve been sending you on these missions for demons. Not only did I need them here to punish them and restore some balance but I was testing your skills as well. I also wanted to see if I can trust you with these very special missions I have next. Let me explain that I want to move beyond my business of just demons and seeing them punished. I have taken it upon myself to restore the balance of good and evil in your world.

Spike: How noble of you. Hoping for a world peace prize?

Dioxin: Who do I want you to bring back next? It’s Slayers (Spike is shocked). There are too many Slayers in the world and need to be thinned out. They have unbalanced the scale of good and evil. If the Slayers succeed in ridding the world of demons completely then there will be only chaos left. Due to the Slayers dark source of energy they will eventually turn to evil. Then what was once good is now evil and then the balance will be forever changed. Your world as you know it can no longer exist.

Spike: I don’t believe in that non-sense. The scale can’t be tipped that much because of the Slayers. There will always be demons in the world. Not even the Slayers can change that.

Dioxin and Spike continue to argue about the Slayers and the balance of good and evil. Spike doesn’t want to be believe what Dioxin is telling him but continues to listen.

Cut to:
Buffy is at home sleeping and the gang discusses at the school what they are going to do and if they will allow Buffy to go through with this. They are still in disbelief at what the plan will be and don’t want to involve anybody else. They argue with what should be done.

Willow: Guys I have to admit that technically the plan should work now that we have enough of Buffy’s blood. The spell does require all the blood of a person’s body to open it up plus I don’t think the portal would know the difference how it got there in the first place.

Giles: It’s not about whether we have enough blood or not or if the spell will work. This is about how Buffy went behind our backs to accomplish it. Seems that she was gradually bleeding herself and I’m worried not only about the short-term effects but the long-term as well.

Dawn: I knew she was acting weird but I could never have guessed this was what she was doing in her room all this time. She truly misses Spike.

Giles: This is not how a rational person acts when you’ve lost someone. She must have been doing this out of grief. No sensible person would do such a thing.

Willow: She is really hurting Giles and I think she feels that only bringing back Spike will fix it. I can’t defend what’s she’s done but I do understand it.

Giles: We are not going to be bystanders and watch her fail in this. Should the spell not work who knows what she’ll do. She has to respect our decision in this. Let no one else know what has been going on with Buffy. I can’t allow the other Slayers to know what she has been up to.

Dawn: Are you saying that we aren’t going through with the spell?

Giles: That is precisely what I’m saying. I don’t believe that she is herself right now. She must be suffering from some sort depression or some other illness.

Willow: I don’t know if we can do that now Giles. She has come this far and if we try to stop her then she might get desperate. I hate to think what could happen then.

Giles: Until we are convinced that she is fully healthy mentally and physically she will not go through we this understood.

Cut to:
Dioxin has explained to Spike that he can see Buffy again after he has taken some of the Slayers that are spread out around the world and brought them back to his dimension.

Dioxin: I thought you wanted to fight the good fight. Most of all you wanted to see her again. I am giving the opportunity to do both.

Spike: Killing Slayers is not my idea of fighting the good fight now matter what you say.

Dioxin: Much like the last demon you brought here you don’t kill them. All you need to do is bring them back through the portal by any means necessary. In fact you can’t kill them while they are in your world. In death they go to an entirely different place than here. To bring them to me they must travel through the portal.

Spike: Bloody torture and suffering is worst than death if I bring them here. I don’t want any part of that. Demons deserve every bit of that but not them. Not Slayers.

Dioxin: They don’t interest me. I don’t care to look within their souls to find a suitable torture for them. Torturing demons is an act I enjoy. Humans are too easy. So are you going to do this for me or not.

Spike: I’m going to…

Spike hesitates in his decision so Dioxin sends him back to his torment. Spike can’t stand it as an undetermined amount of time has passed so Spike agrees. He is convinced that since he wouldn’t actually be killing the Slayers it would be Ok.

Spike: Ok you bloody wanker I’ll do it. Please don’t kill them while they are here. Slayers could be some assets for us later on. We could also use them in some fashion. Don’t bloody torture them either as they might try to off themselves.

Dioxin: I agree Spike. I may need them later for the big finale.

Spike: What are you talking about? What finale?

Dioxin: Nothing you need to concern yourself with now. I have picked out the perfect Slayer for you to get for me. She is isolated and alone so it shouldn’t be much of an issue for you. Your history with Slayers is impressive just don’t fall back into old habits and kill this one dear old William…

Spike: Don’t you bloody call me that name. He’s long gone.

Dioxin: (smiles) Ok reaper…go get her. This one is named Breanna.

Cut to:
Buffy feels that she is fully rested and goes to the school to start the plan to open the portal so she can get back Spike. The gang is waiting for her in the gym. They discuss the plan and they tell her that this is the last time straw as she has clearly not been thinking right in going about this decision.

Willow: Buffy I know that you think that everything is alright now that you’ve given us all this blood but it’s just not going to happen.

Giles: Decisions like these are ones made by people who are grief stricken wanting one last chance to say goodbye. You may not want to hear this Buffy but I do believe that you made this decision out of your depression. If and I mean if we all agree to proceed it will be because we are convinced that you are of sound of body and mind.

Buffy: I am not a nut. Is this your guy’s way of telling me that I need to go to a nut house or see a shrink?

Dawn: Shall we list the ways you’ve gone coo-coo the past week or so. No seriously we need to understand what you are going through before we can let you go on with this. We want to see what your frame of mind is right now.

Buffy: What is there to understand. Help. Spike. Spike. Help.

Willow: Not really helping your cause here Buffy.

Buffy: (sighs) He’s got no one else to do this. I’m the only one that can help him.

She pleads with them not to stop her because of Spike but they are only convinced further that she needs help.

Cut to:
Spike calls out the name and enters the portal. He goes looking for the Slayer which he now finds himself in a small town. He sees a crowd of people coming toward him running away from something. Once the crowd clears he sees the Slayer in a fight with a demon. He runs up to lend the Slayer a hand and they both fight the demon. They introduce themselves to each other as they fight the demon together.

Breanna: Who the Hell are you? Get back while I take care of this thing.

Spike: The name’s Spike and I know yours Breanna. I could finish him off for you if you like.

Breanna: (turns to look at Spike) How do you know my name?

As Breanna is distracted by Spike knowing her name the demon swats at her and knocks her a few feet away. Spike continues to fight the demon. The Slayer watches as she is dazed for a moment. Spike eventually wears down the demon and snaps its neck. Breanna is amazed that Spike was able to kill the demon and walks over to kick it to make sure it’s dead.

Breanna: You got some nice moves there. (starts to think clearly now) Wait your name is Spike right? Again how do you know my name?

Spike: Someone who sent me here knows you. I’m just glad I got here in time. This fellow looks like he packed quite a wallop.

Breanna: Unless that person is my grandma no one calls me that. My name is Bree. Everyone calls me Bree. Also I may not look like it but I can take care of myself. I’m much stronger than I look. But I never seen a regular person able to take down one of these things before.

Spike: Ok Bree. I know you can pack a punch because you’re a Slayer. I’ve run into my fare share of them. Your skills are not too bad at all. Surely not the best but not too shabby either. As for myself I’m not your average bloke. I’m a vampire with a…

Breanna cuts him off before he can finish and tell her he has a soul once she hears the word vampire. She begins to try and fight him but Spike keeps her at bay as he explains things to her.

Spike: Would you stop already. You Slayers are all dust happy. I was about to tell you I have a soul.

Breanna: What kind of lame explanation is that? Vampires don’t have souls. You think I’m stupid or something?

They keep fighting as she still is trying to take the advantage but can’t as Spike explains to him all the good he has done.

Spike: Would any old vampire come and help you just now. If I was evil I would have gone straight for your neck.

Breanna: That doesn’t mean anything.

Spike: Fine you want a history lesson. I was the one who helped fight against The First in Sunnydale.

Breanna: I don’t believe that. You vampires and demons all love to lie.

Spike: I was the one to close the bleeding Hellmouth. I stood there and watched it all tumble down around me.

She starts to remember what Buffy had told her about a vampire with a soul who had done the same stuff that Spike had just explained. She asks him to name some of the people who were at the Hellmouth with him to see if he is telling the truth and he does. She finally stops fighting him.

Breanna: Damn you’re that same vampire who helped Buffy. I remember her telling me that a vampire who had a soul did that stuff but she never told us his name only that he was dead now. So if you died in the Hellmouth? How are you here now? Was it Buffy who sent you?

Spike: Look that is a long story. I am a trusted friend of hers and I need your help with something.

Breanna: How come I haven’t heard from her that you were coming?

Spike: She doesn’t know that I’m back and I can’t tell her just yet. But I do need your help and Buffy would want you to help me.

Breanna: I am thankful for you helping me but I have to talk to Buffy first. I have to run this by her before I can go off and do anything.

Spike: I need you to trust me and follow me somewhere. I need your help and you are the only one that can help me right now. Buffy can’t know about this right now or it will mess things up. I need you to follow me through this portal and stay there until I return.

Breanna: Whoa you lost me right there Spike. I’m not going through any portals. I barely even know you. I don’t trust you enough for me to just follow you off into who knows where. I’m going to call Buffy.

Spike: There’s no time for this. I know she has her hands full right now. She would want you to help me.

Breanna: What exactly do you want me to do for you? Also what is on the other side of the portal?

Spike: I need you to go and follow me to a Hell dimension and keep an eye on a demon lord there. That’s all I need from you. You will have to stay there until I return. I have to keep earning his trust or else.

Breanna: So all I would have to do is spy on this demon lord until you come back. How long will you be gone for?

Spike: I don’t know yet. He has me as his bloody reaper and errand boy for now. But hopefully you don’t have to stay too long. You’re going to help me then?

Breanna: I must be crazy to even consider this.

Spike opens up the portal and Breanna is stuck unable to move.

Spike: You’re going to have to trust me and follow my lead. Do this for Buffy if not for me. She won’t forget this.

Breanna: That doesn’t sound very comforting…

Spike drags her in against her will and they both go through the portal.

Cut to:
The group continues to argue with Buffy as she contends that she is healthy in more ways than one.

Buffy: Why are we wasting time talking about this non-sense? The longer we wait the harder it’s going to be to get him back. I’m completely sane you guys. As you can see I do look much better now. I’ve gotten all my strength back and am ready to finish this.

Willow: Buffy why don’t we go away for awhile so you can clear your head? I know that after you calm down we can discuss our options and go from there. Come on Buffy let’s take a walk.

Giles: Spike isn’t going anywhere Ok. We still have time to keep looking for another way while you are gone and if you still want to do it then we can decide that together.

Dawn: Buffy we need you to help us out here and respect our decision. We all agree this is the right thing to do.

Buffy: (firmly) Listen, all of you. I am not leaving this gym until we get Spike back. He is going through some horrible stuff over there. You made that decision and I can’t change it but I also made mine. I did not give up my blood just for it to sit here and do nothing. You can either help or get the Hell out of my way.

They realize that there is no choice for now so as she can’t be reasoned with so they all agree to help her but they all must be involved and have the final say on what the final plan will be. Buffy not liking not having full control agrees with everyone and they discuss what they are going to do.

Cut to:
Now in the Hell Dimension Spike meets with Dioxin with the Slayer in tow. He is dragging her along through the temple.

Spike: Listen to me Bree. This demon lord trusts me so keep pretending on putting up a fight.

Breanna: Who’s pretending here! I thought you wanted me to spy on him.

Spike: Shh…we’ll talk about this later.

Spike brings her in front of Dioxin and throws her down in front of his throne. Dioxin smiles and tells the Slayer why she is here and who he is. He tells her that she will be Ok for now as she may be of use later. He says something in a demon language and a prison appears in the distance. He orders Spike and another demon to bring her to her cell. Once they start to go the Slayer is reluctant and Spike grabs her and drags her with the help of the other demon. Once she is thrown into her cell the other demon leaves and Spike tells her to hold on tight for awhile while he handles some business.

Breanna: This isn’t what I signed up for…I should never have trusted you. How many Slayers are you going to bring back here until you earn his trust? You don’t believe that BS he was saying do you?

Spike: I don’t really have a choice here Bree. I’ll return as soon as I can. You don’t have to worry because he won’t hurt you.

Breanna: You really don’t expect me to believe that? Let me the Hell out of here.

Spike: Don’t say a bloody word until I get back here. Just keep your mouth shut for now (leaves).

Breanna punches the cell bars in front of her in anger as Spike leaves her there. Spike goes back to Dioxin who tells him that he is doing very well. Dioxin tells him to go and get another Slayer and he asks how many more.

Spike: How many more do you want me to get? They must be all over the planet and sooner or later someone is going to catch on to missing Slayers.

Dioxin: There is couple more Slayers I need for you to get and that’s all. I want to measure the balance afterwards. This next one is someone I’m sure you are familiar with. I want you to find this Slayer in a place called Cleveland. Just say the Slayer in Cleveland and the orb will know as she is only one there.

Spike: Someone I’m familiar with. You mean one of the Slayers I knew in Sunnydale?

Dioxin: Only one way to find out isn’t there.


Concluded in Chapter 3...Coming Back...