Author's Chapter Notes:
I really didn't expect to post this so soon. I can't promise the next chp will be so quick... but the wonderful reviews made me want to get this out asap! Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement....I am so happy some people actually like this fic. I'd like to take a moment to comment on my take of Xander in this fic. Xander, in the series, really pissed me off. I saw such potential with his character...but he continually disappointed me. I guess this is in reaction to that, not that I'm saying it'll always be roses...everyone has flaws...but yes. That's all I have to say on that for right now. So please read! And review if the fancy strikes you!
Chapter Two

**~~**

Spike honestly hadn’t expected to see Xander again after that second night, but for two months Xander continued to come to the bar, once, sometimes twice a week. At first Spike had been bemused and wary of the man’s continued presence, but soon the vampire came to expect him.

Truth was -and this truth Spike had trouble admitting to himself- he began to look forward to the humans presence.

Slowly, Spike began to find that he actually liked talking with Xander. The human was very different then the earlier days in SunnyDale. At least Spike thought so…he had never really known, or made the effort to know, the whelp back in Sunnydale, but he was sure Xander had not been so thoughtful and serious back then.

They never talked about anything very serious. At least they never discussed anything serious pertaining to personal subjects; they always skirted on topics of anything consequential. They had set unspoken boundaries and rules which neither dared to cross.

And yet, sometimes Spike felt the undeniable urge to ask him about her. He could feel the question twist in his throat, whetting his tongue, becoming more pronounced as they grew more comfortable around one another. But he was always able to beat the urge back.

He didn’t ask about her.

God, he wanted to. But, in the two months Xander continued to visit the demon bar, Spike never asked.

He may have never asked but Spike could smell her on him. This fact led him to two more conclusions: Xander was in constant contact with her, and she was living in New York.

Oh God. He bit his tongue.

She wasn’t the only one he could smell, there was the ‘bit too, and the witch Red. And another scent that Spike had trouble identifying, it was something very sweet but also very familiar, almost like he’d smelt it before but had forgotten it. Anya’s scent was the strongest of them all; Spike guessed they had gotten past the wedding fiasco after all.

-We also slept with her remember.- Spike growled inwardly at the voice, like he needed the reminder, how could he ever forget that huge mistake?

So it seemed they were all in New York sans the Ripper, evidently.

They were here. Living in the city he was living in. He knew this, the curiosity almost burning him inside, but he never asked.

**~~**

Xander entered through the shops front door. Stepping behind the counter he paused to softly kiss Anya on the cheek.

“Do you need help closing?” He asked, playing with the hair at the back of her neck.

Anya, who was in the process of cashing out the till, shook her head. “No, it’s alright. I’ll be done in a few minutes.”

Leaving her to finish he proceeded into the back room. The shop was quite old, ‘rustic’ optimists might say. When Xander had first seen it he had had his reservations. It was old. Old as in before the First World War old, and its previous owners had not kept it up very well. However even realizing its obvious shortcomings, Buffy had fallen in love with it anyway. Xander had tried to talk her out of buying it, but she ignored him like she ignored everyone else’s nay saying, and only a day after seeing it she bought it.

Today, with its drastic renovations and Buffy’s own personal touches, if he hadn’t known it was the same building Xander himself wouldn’t have believed it. He had discouraged her, but nonetheless, having been Buffy’s main consultant on the renovations Xander always felt a bit of pride concerning the shop.

The back of the shop had been opened up and converted into a kitchen and living room, hard wood floors and light beige hues making it seem spacious and comfortable. Off the kitchen a flight of stairs led upstairs, the spaciousness over the shop allowed Buffy to renovate it into three moderately sized bedrooms and one bathroom. All in all it made for a very adequate living space.

Closing the door softly behind him Xander peeked into the living room smiling at what he saw. Willow was lying on the couch watching a sitcom with a small sleeping child curled around her.

“Hey,” He began softly. “Kind of late for miss moppet to be up. Nightmares again?”

Willow nodded looking down at the child, a frown crossing her lips. “Third time this week.”

Xander sat on a loveseat kitty-cornered to the couch. “Poor kid.”

Willow tenderly stroked the child’s head. “I wish she’d tell us what they’re about.”

Xander shrugged, “She will when she’s ready.”

Willow hummed softly, continuing to stroke the little girls head.

“Where’s Buffy and Dawn?” Xander asked, noting the only noise within the house came from the nearly muted television.

“Buffy’s patrolling, Dawn’s out with…,” she paused thinking, “who’s she dating this month?”

“Tom, I think.”

Willow nodded, “That’s right, Tom.”

“Buffy’s patrolling, huh? She’s been pushing it a bit hard the past few weeks.”

“I know…you know she’s getting a bit obsessed with finding that new vamp sector in town.” Willow paused chewing her lip, Xander recognized it as one of her signs of frustration, “I’ve tried to help, but I can’t find anything on this new group.”

“Well, their name tends to create the idea they’re a new group…”

Willow snorted softly, “Yeah. The Newbloods.”

“Not exactly the most creative vamps.”

They lapsed into silence; nothing they could say about the Newbloods would be anything they hadn’t said before. The vampire group had shown up in New York over a month before leaving a bloody trail in their wake. They murdered indiscriminately, and viscously. Of the few bodies they had seen it seemed the vampires purposely caused as much excruciating pain to their victims as possible before killing them. Some of the humans weren’t even drained, leading to the conclusion the Newbloods didn’t always need to feed when killing the humans; that they pleasured in causing horrible pain for the fun of it.

The papers glorified it. A mass murderer, they called it. A serial killer that used knives to mutilate his victims. The front page was painted with terrible images at least three times a week.

Using her underground contacts Buffy was unable to find anything but very little information about the Newbloods. No matter whom she threatened or tried to bribe she had so far not been able to scrounge up any more information. Xander could see it was consuming her. Looking at the paper, seeing the murders, he knew she felt responsible for every single one of them.

Willow looked at Xander a bit speculatively, “Speaking of lateness…aren’t you out a bit late?”

Xander blinked. “We were speaking of lateness?”

Willow waved a hand dismissively, “Irrelevant.”

“I had a couple beers with some of the guys from work.” Xander lied easily, feeling a twinge of guilt. It was only a partial lie; beer drinking had definitely been part of it.

Willow accepted the explanation without a blink of an eye. She turned to continue watching the television.

Xander felt another bite of guilt.

He wasn’t exactly sure why he didn’t tell them he’d seen Spike when he had that first night two months before. He supposed, at first, it was the shock of seeing the vampire in the flesh after so long. He had had to come to terms with it himself. For so long he’d held anger for the vampire, deep-seated hate and prejudice for what Spike was and what he had done.

The prejudice had faded somewhat during the years as Xander matured into adulthood. He no longer looked at the world in black and white mentality, but had a more grey colored view. He figured he had to broaden his scope, considering he was in love with a demon. It had taken him a while to accept Anya had turned back into a vengeance demon, but when he had it was the best thing he’d ever done. Marrying her was the second best thing. Even without the demon prejudices Xander was still angry. Not for what Spike had done to him, not at all. Xander had accepted and forgiven that (though he’d never admit it) long before Spike left SunnyDale. What stoked his anger was what Spike had done to Buffy.

But seeing Spike in the bar that night had severely confused Xander.

Xander wasn’t sure he could ever forgive Spike for what he did. But seeing how utterly destitute Spike had been that first night… Spike had been so...so honestly, heart-wrenchingly sorry. Xander couldn’t refute it that night, no matter how badly he wanted to.

Not that being sorry could forgive an unforgivable act.

One of the most surprising things about Spike was how much he’d changed. Gone was his overly cocky attitude, in its place a more recluse and drawn creature. Xander had seen it in his eyes that first night, the look of a badly treated dog waiting for the next blow. As he continued to meet with Spike, Xander saw a bit of the confident vampire return. Sometimes the confidence was real, but most times it was a façade: a set of armor. Xander had never seen the vampire so…broken. Not even after Drusilla left him. It made him wonder what happened to change Spike. Spike was very evasive about his years after leaving SunnyDale. But so was Xander. Neither dared talk about anything personal.

So yes, at first Xander was very conflicted about what to do about Spike.

He continued to see Spike, trying to decide what to do. But one thing he had never thought would ever happen happened. He found he actually liked Spike. Xander had been surprised to find out how interesting and intelligent the vampire was.

Xander skirted the friendship issue. He didn’t want to label it. He enjoyed Spike company and that was it. Admitting to friendship with Spike would be like betraying Buffy.

It wasn’t friendship…and yet…

And yet…

Xander didn’t tell them. He feared their reaction. He feared their anger. He didn’t want the vampire dead.

Xander frowned inwardly. Was that true? He had always figured when Buffy met Spike again she’d dust him. Xander had been comfortable with that two months ago. They never talked about Spike. Buffy that is never talked about Spike. Xander, Anya, Willow and Dawn did spare few times when out of the slayer’s company. Dawn was beyond angry and hurt considering the vampire. Talking about Spike in front of the youngest scooby usually ended in her spitting curses at the absent vampire. Xander never brought Spike up in front of Buffy, but he’d always figured Dawn’s reactions were a perfect mirror image of her sister’s.

He didn’t tell them about Spike because…because…just admit it he growled inwardly…he liked the vampire, didn’t want him dead.

If he told them, Spike was as good as dust.

Xander’s thoughts were thankfully interrupted by the back door opening. He caught a glimpse of the back alley before Buffy came into view. She peeled off her jacket and boots, sighing tiredly. Xander frowned at the dark circles under her eyes.

“Hey guys,” Buffy said padding into the living room. Seeing Willow holding the still sleeping child Buffy suddenly frowned. “Did she have a nightmare again?”

“Yeah,” Willow said, “I thought I’d wait till you got home so you could tuck her in again.”

“She’s still having nightmares?” Anya said entering through the front way, catching the last part of what Willow said.

Buffy gently took the child from Willow, kissing the little girl on the head. Hoisting her up, two small arms clung around Buffy's neck. The child whimpered softly, but otherwise remained asleep. Buffy laid her cheek against dark curls, her voice soft, “It’s getting worse. They’re so often now.”

“She’ll grow out of it, I’m sure. I had pretty bad nightmares when I was a kid...usually about clowns.” Xander blushed slightly, “I couldn’t get near one for the longest time without crying. Birthday parties were a big no-no.”

“Hmm… maybe.” Buffy murmured, worry still prominent in her eyes. Looking up at Anya she smiled, “Thanks again, An, for closing tonight.”

Anya shrugged, “De nada.”

“Alright, baby, let’s take you to bed.” Buffy whispered to the sleeping girl. After brief good nights she left her friends and walked upstairs quietly.

“She looks so tired.” Xander said when Buffy was out of earshot.

“Like I said, the Newbloods thing is really getting to her.”

“Maybe I’ll ask…around. See if I can get some info on the new bads.”

Anya raised an eyebrow, “Around?”

Slapping himself mentally, Xander looked away from his wife’s prying eyes. “Yeah, I’ll do some investigative digging. Can’t have Buffy all drained.”

Both Willow and Anya looked at each other.

“What?” Xander said defensively, “I know people!”

“Sure honey.” Anya said, patting his arm. “Let’s go home, I’m pooped. Need a ride home Willow?”

“Since my car is again out of commission, I’d be very grateful.” Willow said getting up from the couch.

Xander briefly considered pressing the issue, but he let it go. The littler they knew the better. It was for the best, he was sure, that they didn’t know he’d been meeting up with Spike.

**~~**

Spike knew something was up when Xander entered the bar. The human strode to the vampire with purpose. Sitting promptly he faced Spike, his expression serious.

“I need information.” Xander opened without preamble.

“What, no ‘good evenin’ Spike’.” The vampire said with mock hurt.

Glancing at a Telap demon sitting a couple stools away Xander lowered his voice. “Sorry but this is important. Information. I need it.”

Spike took a sip from his glass. “What kind?”

“There’s a new vamp sector up here. Call themselves the Newbloods. I need some inside info.”

“Seriously? Call themselves Newbloods?”

“ ‘Friad so.”

“Bloody effing hell. Its vamp’s with nancy names like that make a bad name for the rest of us.”

Xander eyed Spike askance, “Sure it is.”

Spike waved a hand, “Right, go on.”

“They’re relatively new players but they’re growing fast. Usually it would’ve been a simple slam ‘em and stake ‘em scenario but apparently this group is a bit more complicated than that. You’ve probably seen their work in the papers the last few weeks.”

Spike narrowed his eyes thoughtfully, “The murderin’ spree goin’ on, you mean?”

“Yeah.”

“Bloody hell.”

“Exactly. So do you know anything?”

“Why do you think I’d know anything?”

Xander raised an eyebrow. “I figure since you’ve been living here… you being a vamp and all that.”

“Ah, I see.”

“So?” Xander prompted.

“Wait a tic, how are you so sure I’m not a Newblood? Not that’d I’d ever join a bloody group called ‘Newbloods’.”

Xander eyed Spike a moment. “From the info I’ve gotten, you don’t fit the profile.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t know if you realize this, but you’re half a step away from being like him.” Xander motioned to the Telap demon.

“Oi!”

Ignoring Spike’s exclamation, Xander continued. “From the information I got the Newbloods have a set standard of…cleanliness…and a dress code that you just wouldn’t pass.” Xander paused, considering Spike’s appearance for a moment. “Is your hair really brown, or is it just dirty?”

Spike growled at that. He looked down at his shirt, giving it an experimental sniff. So yeah, maybe it wasn’t super clean, but he certainly wasn’t a bad as the Telap demon.

He sniffed the air smelling the Telap demon, then his shirt again.

Awe, bollocks.

Maybe not as bad, but too close.

“Sorry, mate,” Spike was only slightly surprised that he was honestly sorry, “don’t know anything ‘bout them Newbloods. I’ll ask ‘round if you like.”

Xander ordered a beer, “Yeah. I’d appreciate that.”

**~~**

Love it? Hate it?