Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All BtVS and Angel characters belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy and Fox. I only claim any original characters I add, this story is not meant to infringe in anyway on the rights of Joss, Mutant Enemy or Fox.
Chapter 2


An embarrassed Buffy disengaged herself from Spike, her face turning the most remarkable shade of red he had ever seen. She buried her flaming cheeks against Spikes chest her hands gripping his tight black t-shirt. Then he felt her begin to tremble, just slightly at first then full on trembling. He held her tighter to his chest “Buffy, Love what is it?” he whispered quietly as the continued holding her to him supporting her, as she could no longer support herself. “Come on baby, tell me. Please Love, you’re scaring me.” He released her with one arm using his other to try and coax her to look at him, brushing her hair away from her face, and ducking his head so that he was looking into her tear filled eyes.

Buffy finally met his eyes, and there was so much tenderness, love and confusion in them. And they were so blue, had they always been this blue, she thought. She took a couple of deep calming breaths trying to think of what to say that would explain her behavior. She broke her eyes away from his inquiring gaze and stared at her hands gripping his shirt at his chest.

Just what exactly had come over her? One minute she was all over him, couldn’t get close enough to him, and the next she was trembling and crying like a frightened child. That’s it! She was frightened, well not just frightened, terrified was more like it. Relationships and Buffy, were, are bad! Full of hurt, and well just plain badness. So many questions flowed through her mind, will he laugh at me, will he understand, will he leave me or rather when will he leave me, they always leave because I’m not good enough, never good enough for them to stay.

His whisper broke her out of her thoughts, “Buffy? Please, what is it? I‘m right here, baby. What’s got you so rattled? Please, talk to me.”

“Spike,” She croaked out, tears spilling oven and running down her cheeks, she tried to continue“I’m..I’m ..I can’t …not good… sorry…you won’t…then I won’t...” Then she buried he face in his chest again and came apart, completely apart as great sobs racked her body, and if Spike hadn’t been holding her up she would have crumpled to the floor.

Spike gently picked her up in his arms, trying to soothe her. “Buffy, it’s okay, I’ve got you.” He glanced over to the couch to see the concerned eyes of her watcher searching blindly for her.

Giles began to rise off the couch reaching out with his arms to try to get to his distressed slayer, “Buffy? Spike, what have you done? Where is she?” He stumbled forward catching his foot on the leg of the coffee table nearly crashing to the floor.

“Sit back down watcher. I’ve got her, an’ I. Didn’. Do. Anything! Jus’ give me a minute will you to calm her will ya!”

Spike made his way over to the recliner across from Giles, as the watcher again took his seat on the couch. Spike held the still sobbing slayer to his chest as he sat down trying to find some way to calm and comfort her, but no amount of shushing or tender words seem to work, she just continued to sob and clutch at him.

The last time Spike had seen anyone this distraught had been over one hundred and forty years, back when he was human, and he had tried to comfort his mother after his little sister had died from the influenza. He felt just as helpless now as he did then. But is seemed his demon knew what to do as a low rumbling purr erupted from his chest and immediately Buffy started to calm, the great gulping sobs ebbed to quite whimpers and sniffles. Eventually her breathing evened out and Spike realized she had slipped into an exhausted sleep.

Giles had been quietly sitting on the couch, his useless eyes searching out in the general direction of where he knew Spike was intently listening to Spike trying to calm his slayer, and silently begging the powers to restore his sight so he could see what was happening. He had heard Spike’s tender words give way to the sounds that suspiciously sounded like purring now coming from the vampire. He heard her quiet down and decided to risk calling to her, he leaned forward scooting to her edge of the couch preparing to rise and try again to reach his troubled slayer, “Buffy?”

“Watcher” Spike growled softly but alarming authority, and Giles stilled. “She’s asleep,” he continued growling as he spoke as to not interrupt his demon’s calming effect on the now calmed girl. “When she wakes we’ll get this sorted, yeh?”

“Fine Spike, but you and I will be having a conversation about this!” Giles whispered with quiet authority knowing that Spike’s vampire hearing would catch what he said, but not loud enough to wake the now peaceful Buffy.

Spike nodded toward the watcher, even though he knew he couldn’t see him and then looked down at the sleeping girl in his arms. She looked so peaceful, one hand curled under her chin and the other flat against his chest as if even in her sleep she was still seeking the comfort of his rumbling purrs and reassurance of his presence. He lowered his head resting his cheek against the top of her head inhaling her scent closing his own eyes in bliss. This is it he thought, this is where I belong, here with her in my arms, her scent surrounding me. The man and demon were in complete agreement, which surprised him. He would have thought his demon would rejoice in the slayer’s distress, but it hadn’t. In fact it was the demon, not the man, that was able to comfort her. He knew that the watcher would be pressing him for an explanation later, he only wondered if he would have one, even for himself.





*Sorry the update took so long. Major surgery and real life have been a bit overwhelming...and it is taking me a lot longer to get the thoughts down and out the way I intend! So I don't know how long it will be between updates, but I will try not to be this long again. Please tell me what you think. Thanks.