Author's Chapter Notes:
I am so sorry this took so long to update, and I didn't really get to where I was going with this chapter, but decided to post what I have. Real life has really kicked by butt. Caught my husband of 17 years having an affair, and have fled with my children to the loving arms of my family back home. We are devastated and are trying to get back to some kind of normalcy. So I don't know how soon I will be able to update as my muse has fled also, I hope she returns soon, as I really am committed to this story and really want to finish it. Thank you all for reading and reviewing as I can use all the support I can get.
Chapter 3

Contemplation

Giles was in desperate need for a drink so he gingerly reached out to the coffee table he knew was somewhere close in front of him for his glass and his favorite scotch. He quickly found them and slowly and carefully pored some in the glass keeping his finger just inside the rim so he could stop when he felt the liquid as to not over fill and make a mess he could not see to clean up. Once satisfied that he had adequately filled his tumbler, he brought the bottle with him propping in between his leg and the arm of the couch, he wanted it within easy reach so he could quick access for refills, of which there would be many he was sure. He was at a complete loss. Here he was blind, his slayer had had a meltdown, and one of the most evil vile creatures on earth was comforting her and was obviously content in doing so.

He continued to refill his glass as he tried to make sense of what had happened to Buffy and Spike’s reaction. At first when he had heard her sobbing he just knew Spike had been the cause, and then he heard the evil vampire’s gentle words and the pleading desperate tone, and he could tell that Spike was just confused at to the cause of her emotional collapse. And then Spike had begun making those sounds, low growls and then purring, at least is sounded like purring, and almost immediately Buffy had begun to calm, and Giles wanted to know what that was all about. Was it some sort of thrall? Oh, yes Spike was definitely going to have to answer for this.

As he sat contemplating this strange occurrence he noticed that the “purring” sound had become quieter. He could still hear it but it was certainly less pronounced. Bloody Hell! If only I could see, he thought as he refilled his glass with the last of the scotch, “My that went quickly.” He whispered as he leaned forward to place the empty bottle next to sofa on the floor, and feeling a bit woozy, feeling the effects of the half a bottle he had consumed, he turned and brought his feet rest on the sofa in front of him leaning back into the corner at the one end facing toward the recliner Spike and the sleeping Buffy were occupying. Within minutes he was also sleeping.

Spike was still absorbing the scent of his slayer when he opened his eyes upon hearing the watcher move about. He watched as Giles gained possession of his scotch and poured a glass. He could almost see the wheels turning in the man’s head as he sat back of the sofa. Spike was not oblivious to the irony that he was now sitting here holding the slayer in his arms watching the watcher. It was amusing to watch him too. The look of confusion on the watcher’s face, he imagined mirrored his own. Spike didn’t understand what had happened anymore that the watcher did. One minute he was snogging the slayer and the next he was comforting her. And why was he comforting her? He seemed to remember earlier in the day all he had wanted to do was drain her dry, and the next minute they were getting married, in love and snogging. How had he fallen so quickly? Sure he thought her to be right beautiful and feisty. Always, up for a good fight, but now he was totally and completely in love with her, of that he was sure. The man could feel it, and if there was anything William knew it was love, and the demon knew it too. How else would he explain the desire to comfort her and the purring?

The last time he remembered purring was over a hundred years ago, when he was first turned and fancied himself in love with Dru. He remembered that he would always purr after making love to his dark princess, that was until the day he found her shagging Angelus. After that day the demon no longer found contentment with Dru, and never purred again. Oh he still loved her, as much as he had ever loved any woman, but her betrayal had cut the man and the demon too deep.

Spike continued to watch Giles for a short time, but after surmising that the watcher was content to ponder and drink his scotch, he closed his eyes and joined his girl in sleep.

At some point after Spike had drifted off to sleep, as he was awakened by the subtle stirrings of Buffy on his lap. He lazily opened his eyes and looked down at the still slumbering girl, though he could tell she would awake shortly by the change in her breathing and movement. He glanced at the watcher who’s head was propped up against the corner of the couch with his mouth hanging open and assumed that he had succumbed to the bottle and fallen asleep also, and judging by now empty bottle of scotch now on the floor it seemed to be a correct assumption. He glanced at the clock on the wall and was surprised to find it was past eight. Buffy had been sleeping in his arms for more than two hours. And he couldn’t have been happier, even though he was getting a bit stiff.

As Buffy drifted towards wakefulness she could feel her comfy pillow rumbling, and felt oddly calm. She could feel strong arms wrapped around her, and all she knew was she had never felt so loved and safe in her life. She snuggled her face against someone’s neck, and took in the smell of leather and tobacco. She knew instantly it was Spike. 'I’d know that smell anywhere.' But why was she in Spike’s arms, and why was he purring? Then it came back to her. The proposal, they were getting married; a smile stole over her face. The kissing, the fantastic kissing, the phenomenal kissing, the kissing that made you forget everything in the world but those lips! Buffy licked her lips just thinking about those kisses. Then how did she end up asleep? ' Oh my God! I went to pieces. He must think I am a total basket case. I blew it. Now I know he will run from crazy Buffy the first chance he gets.' She started to take gulping breaths, and the panic began to take her over again, but the rumbling got louder and she heard his soothing voice.

Spike had sat quietly as he felt Buffy become aware of her, and him. Enjoying her snuggling against him. He was terrified to speak. Afraid to break the peacefulness that had enveloped her, but then he felt her tense and could tell by her breathing that the panic from earlier was beginning to set in again.

“Buffy, Love, your okay. Spike’s got you. Just stay calm. Your safe here Love.” He whispered, turning to kiss her forehead, all the while increasing his purring to try and keep his girl calm. If she couldn’t remain calm, he couldn’t find out what was troubling her or how to fix it.

Buffy calmed at his words, taking slow long deep breaths. Soon she was calm enough to sit up a bit. She felt a hand under her chin raising her face to his. She was profoundly embarrassed and kept her eyes cast downward to avoid seeing the disappointment she was sure that would reside in his eyes.

Spike dipped his head trying to make eye contact with the now profusely blushing girl. Finally, she looked up, and what she saw surprised her. There was no disappointment in those eyes, only love and concern. Her own eyes filled with tears again, tears of shame and embarrassment.

“Now, now Pet, none o’ tha’.”

Buffy brought her hands to cover her face, “I’m sorry. I’m so embarrassed.”
Spike took her hands in his and pulled them from her face, forcing her to look at him again whispering to her, “Shush, now. No need to feel like tha’. Sometimes we all need tendin’ to. I love you Buffy. Never feel embarrassed to show me how you feel, to show me your vulnerability. You can trust me with it Buffy.”

With that she smiled and leaned forward to place her head in the crook of his neck “Thank you.”