Author's Chapter Notes:
After reading spuffy for 3 years I thought it was about time i bit the bullet and posted the story i've been working on for some time. Hope you all enjoy. Its a tad bit of an angsty start but bear with me and see what you think. Thanks Bobette x
Chapter 1

She fled, tears streaming down her face; she ran through the night, rain pouring, stinging her face as she ran. She was blinded by fear. The trees that lined the road grabbed and pulled at her with ragged arms trying to stop her retreat. Her heart ached for the knowledge of what she must do next; confront her past. But instead she decided to run. Soaked, she kept on going trying to reach the safety of her own home. She was wishing that he had never come back, hoping that he was just a figment of her imagination.

His memory stabbed at her, causing all her emotions to bleed into one; confusion, hurt, love and hate overwhelmed her, over and over she asked herself, chanting it in her mind ‘was there another woman? Or was it just me?’ Since he had gone she had become a shell, just moving and observing the world around her, never showing any emotions. The façade that she had built up was now lying shattered around her, she had isolated herself from her friends, and she had no one left but the masquerade that had become her life. Her eyes had once been vibrant and alive, pools of emerald green, swirling with mischief and innocence of a carefree girl in love. Now the emeralds have faded leaving nothing but a dull lifeless green in its wake. The girl she once was now gone; left the jaded woman.

Relief flooded her as she finally saw her house; there was no sign of him. Just as she was about to put the key in the door a hand cautiously touched her shoulder. Immediately her body tensed, her mind was screaming for her to run, ‘go now before he can hurt you again? But did he hurt me?’ He felt her tense the instant he had placed his hand on her shoulder, her body trying to work out what to do. As he dropped his hand slowly back to his side he saw her whole body relax as the tension flowed out of her. Anxiously he waited for her to play the next move.

She slowly turned around, and raised her eyes up the figure in front of her. Their eyes locked both full of pain and anguish; the tension grew. Tears started to well up in his eyes, briefly flickering with surprise as he saw her slowly start to lean towards him. He quietly raised his hand to brush softly against her cheek sounding her name so sweetly that it was hardly heard over the rain battering down around them. Just as her lips were about to join his in a tender kiss, her mind screamed at her to stop. Suddenly as reality hit her, she pulled back violently, like she had been burnt, ‘don’t let him touch you!’ Shaking her head to clear her confused brain she remembered who was standing in front of her. Shocked to see her withdraw so quickly from him, he realised the extent to how much he had hurt her. Deep in thought he barely heard her voice reaching him.

“What do you want from me?” she asked in a frail voice.

“What I want? I want for me to hold you, to chase away your demons, to love you.” He answered with trepidation.

“You can’t ask me for that; not now, not after…”

“But, why? What did I do?” he pleaded.

“You’ve changed,” She whispered. Then raising her eyes to his she answered, “You’re different…”

“How?” he cut her off, pleading her silently not to do this.

“You…you” She shook her head and said, “I can’t do this. I’m sorry William”

He started to shake his head, ‘no this cannot be it, don’t do this to me,’ he thought; but then she delivered the final blow.

“It’s over.”

With that said she turned and walked into her house not turning round to look at him as she shut the door behind her. She slid down the door and curled up into a ball, overwhelmed.

Outside in the pouring rain, drenched, frozen to the bone, a single tear running down his face he stood and stared at the door a broken man.


__________________________________________


One soft summer night is where it all began. The warm summer air sated everyone into a haze of warmth and comfort. Buffy’s shoulders sagged and she sighed, turning to face the customer in front of her. The diner was hot and humid causing her to feel drained and totally uninterested in servicing anyone. ‘Who would order fast food in summer anyway?’ Just then the doors burst open and the summer’s sun shone through the doors, the band entered. Buffy just rolled her eyes, sick of the band that thought they craved attention, she choose to totally and utterly ignore them. Or that was until her eyes met the soulful blue eyes staring at her, ‘Wow, who is he?’ she thought; instantly flushing as she noticed his gaze.

Spike and the band walked through the doors of the diner, Angel and Devon thought that they demanded immediate attention from the blonde behind the counter, but failed miserably. Their egos shunned they retreated to the booth in the far corner. Oz chuckled at the cold stare they received from the blonde and followed them into the booth. While Spike was stopped dead as his gaze met the eyes of the small spitfire in front of him; he had never been so entranced by a girl. Even in her foul uniform, she seemed to glow, emerald eyes glistening and honey blonde hair. She mesmerized him; he knew what he had to do, but that it wouldn’t be easy.


_______________________________________


Her cries softened, wails fading into sniffles, wiping her nose on her sleeve she slowly crept back to her feet and called the one person that she trusted in times like this, “Willow, its Buffy.”


Looking down into the tumbler, the amber hue rippled slightly as he swirled it around, swishing up the sides of the glass washing away all the drops back into the amber ocean. Spike felt just like one of those drops clinging to the edge in hope of being washed back into life and back to Buffy. Hearing the scrape of metal on cold tiles he tilted his head to look at the person next to him. The two men just nodded in acceptance of each other’s company. Happy as the silence washed over them, until Spike spoke up. “Can you tell me where it all went wrong?”



So what do you all think, want more? :)