Author's Chapter Notes:
Ended up being a lot longer than I thought it would be. I just kept writing. Yay! Chapter 6 will be coming soon.
Chapter 5 – London Calls

“Not really…” he trailed off for a second. He caught a glare from Buffy and went on to say, “Well…he did say…he seemed to know that you put me up to asking him for another slayer.” Andrew averted her gaze now and waited for her response, expecting anger or something of the sort.

“Oh,” was all Buffy could say. “Well, he knows me too well for me to keep anything from him. That’s why I’m leaving for London. Tonight.”



Dawn looked at her, not sure of what to say or think of this. Before she thought about it she threw her arms up and said, “What?!” She knew that Buffy was going through a lot with learning that Spike was ‘alive’ again, but she didn’t think that she’d be rushing off so soon. It seemed like Buffy had been taking her time, getting ready to leave for LA.

Buffy bit her lip, trying to come up with something to say to Dawn. “I have to Dawnie. I have to get this all worked out. I’ll be back in a few days and then I’ll work out when I’m going to LA. I’m still not sure of when that’ll be…but it’ll be soon.”

Buffy walked up to her little sister. They stood there, quiet for a moment. Andrew just watched them for a minute. Buffy tucked a strand of hair behind Dawn’s ear. Neither of the young women said a thing to or even looked at Andrew. It took him another minute before he realized that it was a private moment and he quietly, as quietly as he could since he bumped into the doorway on his way out, left the room.

The sisters were left alone. They remained silent for a few more minutes.

“Are you ok with this Dawn?” Buffy finally asked.

Dawn bit her lip, in true Summers’ women fashion, as she tried to think about the situation. Buffy waited patiently. She wanted Dawn to be ok with this. About a minute had passed when Dawn silently nodded her head. Buffy smiled a little.

“Good, because you are still the most important thing to me,” Buffy said in all seriousness.

Dawn gave her a look that said, ‘Really, now?’ but she still didn’t say anything out loud.

Buffy gave her a look back and said, “What?”

“Since when have I been the most important thing to you?”

Buffy looked injured. Dawn elaborated saying, “The world?” She looked down for a second and then back up at Buffy. “The world has always been the most important thing to you Buffy. You’re always doing what you need to do to save the world.”

“Dawnie…” Buffy started, but Dawn cut her off. “It’s ok Buffy. I understand…and I’m beyond grateful. If you didn’t save the world none of us would be here.” Dawn looked down again. “But this is different Buffy. This isn’t about the world. This…” she looked up again, staring into Buffy’s gray-green eyes, “This is about you. You and Spike.”

“Ah…” Buffy sighed. “I don’t know what to say Dawn. I love you and you are important to me, but you are right…about the world thing. As for the other part…” Buffy reached out and stroked Dawn’s hair, “Well…I love Spike.” Buffy smiled, but there was pain in the smile, the pain of memories and lost time. She sighed again. “This is about me and Spike. I know that too, but there’s more to it too. I don’t know what the future holds. For the first time in my life as the slayer I don’t have this huge wait on me…sure I still lead and all but…” She turned around, looking at her room for a few seconds. Still facing away from Dawn she said, “It’s different now and I’m just hoping that we can be different too.” She turned around to face Dawn again. “I have to do this. I have to try to make things work with him.”

“I know, Buffy,” Dawn said. “I like Spike, too. Remember?” Buffy nodded in response. “I want you guys to be happy, I really do…but I want you here too. It’s selfish, I know, but I’m just going to miss you. That’s all.” She looked at her big sister. “Well, that and I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Buffy smiled. It was nice to hear Dawn say that she cared. She knew that she did, but still, it was nice to hear it sometimes. “I know you care Dawn, and I hope I don’t get hurt either.” She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around her sister. “I love you Dawnie.”

“I love you too Buffy,” Dawn said, wrapping her arms around her sister.

They held each other in the tight embrace for a few minutes, silently letting their fears disappear for now. All that mattered was that they cared about one another and they had said it before anyone went off gallivanting around the world like Buffy was about too.

Buffy was the first one to pull away. She stroked Dawn’s hair and spoke quietly. “I’ve got to go Dawn. I need to get to the airport.”

Dawn let go of Buffy and nodded. “I understand. Just be careful.” She looked at Buffy as she reached for her bag. “I know it’s only London and Giles, but still…”

“Evil always finds me?” she quipped.

“Yeah,” Dawn replied, more serious than Buffy’s little quip.

“I will,” she said, putting her bag over her shoulder and leaning over to kiss Dawn’s forehead. “You be careful too.” Buffy began walking out of her bedroom with Dawn following quietly.

When they were in the living room Dawn remained quiet and Andrew, surprisingly, had nothing to say either. “Wow! It’s really all silent on the western front, isn’t it?” Buffy tried to lighten their mood. “It’s no big you two. I’ll be back in a few days…I promise.” Buffy went and hugged Dawn again, and ruffled Andrew’s hair playfully. “Take care of things for me Andrew.” Buffy trusted him more than she was willing to say at the moment. She knew that she’d only be in London for a few days, but things were getting eerily close to seeing Spike when she would be going to LA. It was all starting to hit home just how close she was to seeing him. “Bye guys,” Buffy said one last time, walking out the door and going downstairs to a waiting cab. Even Rome had cabs, the only time she ever took one though was when she needed to go to the airport, and Andrew had been kind enough to call one for her while she and Dawn were having their heart to heart.


Los Angeles, California

Angel and Spike were bickering, as usual, in Angel’s office when Wesley came in. He rapped gently on the office door before walking in all the way. Then he cleared his throat. The two vampires stopped fighting and looked at the former watcher.

“Hey Wes,” Angel said, with a little awkwardness.

“’ello, mate,” Spike said, with his usual grin.

“Good morning Angel,” nodded to Angel. “Spike,” nodded to Spike. “I’m glad I’ve got both of you here. Something’s come up and we’ll need both of you to work on it.”

Angel rubbed his hands together, hoping that it was something exciting. Not much had been going on lately and he’d been feeling cooped up at the office. “What is it Wes?”

Spike could only sneer, “Oooh,” he drawled, “Let’s hope it’s somethin’ excitin’ for the ponce.” He didn’t even look at Angel, but if he had he would have seen a glare that could cut through glass it was so sharp.

“Well, actually, you might think it’s exciting or you might think it rather tedious. It all depends on how you look at averting a demon war between two clans.” He glanced at the two vampires who suddenly gave him all of their attention. “Gunn came to me earlier with a new development with one of our clients.”

Angel sighed, “What kind of client are we talking about here Wes?” Angel didn’t want to be helping out the bad demons any more than he had to.

“A normal variety, nothing too evil. Something you can handle, Angel,” was all Wesley offered at the moment. “Gunn can tell you more, but from me…you two will be taking a trip to deal with this one.” Wesley eyed them both, waiting for one of them to ask where they’d be going. He knew this would get interesting, and he expected Spike to ask where first.

Angel looked over at Spike who was apparently fascinated with his chipping nail polish more than the matter at hand. “Where exactly will we be going Wes?”

“Therein lays the most interesting part for you two.” Wesley paused, giving Spike plenty of time to pay attention, which he did not. “Rome.” Now he had Spike’s full attention.

“’sn’t that…” he looked at Angel, who was squirming in his seat, and then back at Wesley.

“Where Buffy is,” Angel finished for him. “Yes.” He was looking down, at his hands and his knee. Finally looking up to meet Wesley’s gaze he said, “Are you sure that this is a good idea?”

Wesley nodded. “It’s a big city Angel, and you two are going on business not pleasure or any reason to go looking Buffy up.”

“Right,” Angel admitted.

“To ‘ell with that,” Spike practically barked. “If I’m gonna be in Rome, I’m gonna see Buffy while I’m there. I’m not bloody…”

“Spike,” Angel interrupted him. “We have business to take care of in Rome.” He looked at Spike, staring him in the eye now. “And we don’t want to mess up Buffy’s life now.”

Spike sighed. “Yeah, right. Business first. Then pleasure.” This argument was so far from over. He wouldn’t give up on seeing Buffy while they were in Rome.

“Right then. Wes, just send Gunn over to talk to us before we have to fly out.”

“Yes, I’ll do that.” Wesley left the office.

The two vampires were quiet for several minutes. Then Gunn came in about 15 minutes later to explain the details of the business they would be taking care of in Rome. When that was over with they went to depart for Rome on the private Wolfram & Hart jet.


Flying to London

Buffy had been on the plane for a few hours already. She had flipped through the pages of one of her magazines and taken a nap. Now she was awake and wondering how she was going to break the news to Giles. The plane would be landing in a few hours and he would be meeting her at the airport or would he send someone to pick her up? Buffy wasn’t to sure about that.

She stared out the window and thought about her life. ‘How did things get so mixed up so quickly?’ Her life certainly had been shaken up a bit since she found out that Spike was alive or back from the dead. She wasn’t even sure what to call it. She sighed and rested her chin in the palm of her hand as she continued to stare out the window. Everything looked so peaceful from high up in the airplane. She wished her life could be this peaceful. Well, only sometimes did she wish that life was more peaceful. When it was peaceful she was wishing for some excitement. Her lips curled because she knew that no matter what she liked slaying, she craved the excitement, the rush. Faith had told her that once and she had tried to deny it. She still tried to deny it, but she knew it was the life she was meant for now. There was no fighting it. She stared out the window for a while before nodding off again.

Her nap lasted until there was a voice on the intercom announcing that they would be landing soon. “London calls,” she told herself. It had been a couple of years since she’d last been in London. A part of her was happy to be coming back and she was very happy that she’d be seeing Giles again. She buckled up her seatbelt and patiently waited for the plane to begin its descent. It did and within 20 minutes the plane had landed and she was preparing to get off the plane along with all the other passengers.

When she was off the plane she made her way through the crowds to find the front of the airport. She had her one bag, which she had brought on as carry-on, over her shoulder. A few minutes later she was at the front of the airport and scanning the crowd for a familiar face. Then she stopped as she laid eyes on him. There was Giles. He had come to pick her up himself afterall. He was a welcome sight to her eyes. They met in the middle and stood quietly facing each other for a minute or two. She spoke first saying, “Hi.”

“Hello Buffy,” he said, choking back his emotions. “It’s been too long,” he allowed himself.

“Yes it has,” she agreed. Then, without a second more to think about it, she stepped a little closer and leaned in to give Giles a hug. “I missed you Giles.”

“I missed you too Buffy.”

They hugged for a moment before separating and looking at one another again. “Let’s get back to my place and talk, yes?” he said, raising an eyebrow at the last part he had asked.

“Yes,” she nodded. “That sounds good.” They walked to the car, remaining fairly quiet except for the pleasantries of how everyone was doing.


Rome, Italy

Angel and Spike stood in the hallway just outside the apartment where Buffy was now living. They waited to knock, both feeling anxious about seeing her for the first time in so long.

“You gonna knock, or do I ‘ave to do it?” Spike finally asked.

“Okay, okay,” Angel said, raising his fist to knock. He still took a minute to actually knock.

When he did knock the door almost immediately opened to a robed Andrew. “Andrew?” both Angel and Spike asked in shock.

“Yes,” Andrew said. “Oh! It’s so good to see you two,” he declared happily. He waved them into the apartment and said, “Come in.” They both accepted the invitation and stepped inside.

“Is this where Buffy lives?” Angel asked.

“Yes,” Andrew replied, looking at Spike for reassurance of what Angel was up to. Spike just shrugged his shoulders, letting the events play out. “But she’s not home right now. She went out.” That’s all Andrew offered at the moment.

“Oh,” Angel said.

“Do you know where we can fin’ her?” Spike asked. “We’re ‘ere in Rome for a short time an’ I was kinda hopin’ to see her while I was ‘ere.”

Andrew looked him over. “I like you Spike. You’re a good guy.” Andrew smiled lightly, and then looked at Angel. “I don’t really know Angel though, but you both seem good to me.” He paused, sighing dramatically. “Buffy’s out with her boyfriend, the Immortal.” Andrew gave them this bit of info, knowing that they each had a history with the Immortal and it would only serve to piss them off that Buffy was with him. Truth be told Buffy wasn’t even in Rome though, but he didn’t see the need in telling them the truth.

“Oh,” Spike said, disappointed. He looked at Angel and Angel looked at him. “What about the little bit? Is she around?”

“No, she’s with some friends for the night. Actually I’m getting ready to go out too, so if you’d excuse me…” Andrew darted into an adjoining room and came back a few minutes later in a clean tux. “I’ll get ready. Now as for what you two should do about Buffy…she’s moving on, living her life and I suggest you do the same. Maybe one day one of you will end up catching her, but for now I think the best thing you can do is live your lives. She is.”

Andrew went to the door and met two beautiful Italian girls, kissing them both. “Goodbye gentlemen.” He left the two vampires shocked and dumbstruck.


London, England

Buffy sat down in Giles’ apartment. She was wringing her hands. He was in the kitchen getting them a couple of drinks. She had asked for water. Alcohol wouldn’t be of help to her in explaining this.

Giles came back and set her glass of water on the coffee table in front of her. He just looked at Buffy as he sat down in a chair diagonally across from her. He didn’t want to prod her to give him the news she came all this way to tell him. He knew that she would tell him when she was ready to say it, so he waited patiently. Patience was something he had grown to use a lot in his time with Buffy. He remembered his days as her watcher fondly, and even missed them on occasion. Nowadays he had a much greater responsibility to train all of the slayers that came through London and they all came through London.

She took a gulp from her glass and steadied her nerves the best she could. “I’m not sure how to start this other than to just come out with it.” She smiled weakly and looked into Giles’ kind, soft eyes. They comforted her. She knew deep down he would understand. “Spike is alive,” she blurted out. Then she calmed down somewhat. The worst was over. Now she just had to tell him that she was going to go to LA to see him.

“Ah…” was all Giles could say. He hadn’t heard about Spike being alive, but somehow he had thought her news would be worse. As the news of Spike being alive began to sink into his mind though he took off his glasses and cleaned them. He put them back on and looked at Buffy seriously.

Buffy was just waiting for some kind of ‘real’ response from Giles. ‘Ah’ was not a standard Giles thing to say to something like this. Of course something like this was in no way standard, even to the slayer and her gang. Despite Angel being brought back from the dead they all knew that Spike was in every way different from Angel, other than the whole having a soul thing. “Giles?” she said.

“Yes,” he cleared his throat and sipped from his brandy. “Sorry, just trying to wrap my mind around this one. It’s not what I expected you to say…I don’t know what I expected, but I didn’t expect,” he waved his hand, “This.”

“I know how you feel. I felt like this when Andrew first told me. He found out when he went to LA for Dana. Spike didn’t want him to tell me though, but he did anyway.” Buffy tried to smile, but instead laughed. It wasn’t a real laugh. It was a tired laugh.

Giles patted her shoulder. “It will be alright Buffy. We’ll figure this out. Do you…or does Andrew…have any idea why he came back?”

Buffy shook her head. “Andrew couldn’t tell me anything about it. I guess they weren’t feeling all warm and cuddly about the details in LA.” She put her face in her hands for a second and swept her fingers back through her hair. “That’s why I’m going to LA.” Now it was all out there. What would Giles say to her now?

“Oh, I see.” He got quiet again. “Buffy, are you sure this is wise?”

“No.” It was flat, but honest. “But it’s something I need to do. I need to see him. I need to get answers about this…and I need to figure things out with him.”

“I see. When are you leaving?”

“I’ll go back to Rome first, maybe pick Vi up in Paris on the way. She can get used to Rome a little before I leave for LA. I wasn’t planning on leaving for another week or so.”

“Okay. That sounds good.” Giles really wasn’t sure what to tell her. He knew he couldn’t stop her from going. She had her mind set and that was obvious. He could tell that she needed, at the very least, closure from Spike.

“Yeah? I’m not so sure. I thought I’d come here and you’d try to talk some sense into me, but now you just agree with me.” She shook her head. “This isn’t like you Giles.” Buffy was getting upset with him. She didn’t mean to and she wasn’t really upset with Giles. No, she was upset with Spike for not wanting her to know he was alive, and she was just stressed out from the whole ordeal.

“And talking sense to you would do what, Buffy?” He looked at her seriously, and then smiled tenderly. She eased up and sighed. “I understand Buffy. I can see that you feel for him. I saw that before the final battle, but then I thought it clouded your judgment. Now…you don’t have an impending apocalypse.”

“Uh huh,” she said, eying him. Then softening, “I do care about him Giles.” She ran a hand along her neck. “The last thing I told him was that I loved him.”

“Oh,” he said quietly.

“But he didn’t believe me.” Her eyes met his. “I don’t know if he even remembers, but I have to know. You know?” She shook her head. “I’m so tired.”

“Get some rest. We can talk more tomorrow.”

“Yeah, thanks Giles.” She stood and walked to the guest room.