Chapter 10

Savio's was the one place in Sunnydale Spike could honestly label as posh, a real cut above every where else. Fact of the matter was the owner was Pylean and those folks certainly knew how to run a joint. The decor was authentic art deco in shades of silver, black and earth, well lit with fluted standing lamps. Spike felt like he was walking into snob central, which wasn't far from the truth. Fortunately his non-designer suit earned only a sneer of disgust from the maitredee and not an insult, otherwise Spike would have been tempted to act on his compulsion to sucker punch the little troll.

Harmony was waiting for him at a table, sipping on a glass of champagne. The blond girl was dressed to the nines in a strapless black mini dress, long curly tendrils of hair cascading down her bare back and over her shoulders. Spike had to admit that Harmony Kendall was a beautiful woman, always had been, but he'd never been in love with her. There was a pang of regret inside him, surely from the soul. He had treated her so horribly and there was little, he thought, that a mere apology could put right. He sighed and approached her.

"Hello Harm," he spoke as he arrived. She looked up at him, breathing in deeply to deliberately push up her ample chest for his perusal.

"I see she let you off your leash long enough to join me," the vampiress replied with a wry smile. Spike mentally counted to ten before taking a seat across from her.

"Buffy has a very bad cold Harmony, otherwise she'd be here."

"Oh no doubt, I'm just surprised she allowed you out of the house."

"Don't start things off like that, you don't know a bloody thing about mine and Buffy's relationship." He waved a waiter over and ordered a scotch, before he could continue talking with his former lover."Harmony, there's something you need to realize, I'm not the same vamp I was back when we were together."

"Oh? Were we together? I thought I was just a wind up sex toy."

"Okay, I deserved that."

"You think?" The waiter brought Spike his drink and the vampire downed it in one shot, ordering another on the spot.

"Harmony? Can we start this night over? I'm sorry I was such a bleedin' bastard to you." Harmony sipped her champagne and gave him a look,"And....and...and...sorry I ever handled you roughly...."

"Sometimes I liked it rough, Spikey." She leaned forwards, and her breasts threatened to spill from the confines of the dress. Spike gulped, his Adam's apple feeling like a stone in his throat. The waiter was taking far too long to bring the second drink."Do you remember, that one time?"

"Whi...which time?" His voice came out with a squeak and he cleared his throat to mask his embarrassment.

"You know, you came in and picked me up out of my chair, tossed me over your shoulder and lay me on the bed. Handcuffs, the riding crop, the flavored whipped cream." If a vampire could blush, Spike was doing it. The waiter came at the opportune time, Spike took down the alcohol and ordered another.

"I...uh...remember..." Spike suddenly found a great deal of interest in his manicure. Buffy had been bored one night a week and a bit ago, so they'd cuddled together to watch a film. In the midst of it she got out the nail file. He remembered how absorbed she'd been in doing a good job and how he loved the play of her hands and fingers with his. Though at the moment, Harmony was reminding him of the days when he'd owned the title of Big Bad. Nowadays he just remembered that he'd been an asshole.

"Are you okay? You're looking sick again, kinda gray. It's too bad she doesn't let you have any human blood. You're so toothless now, pumpkin, however did it come to this?"

"Hey! I'm not bloody toothless! Are you aware of the major apocalypse I nearly single handily defeated but a few days ago? How I took on an army of Turok Han vamps and the First Evil and managed to come out of it the bloody winner!? Hmmm??" Harmony smiled wickedly and sighed, frustrating Spike to no end.

"Do you also remember how we met? That bar in Nevada?" Spike chuckled, it was hard to forget that night.

"Yeah, yeah, 'ere I was about to come to rescue of the fair damsel in distress from a pack of bikers, only for you to turn on the lumpies and scare the livin' daylights outta them!"

"You were coming to my rescue, weren't you? My knight in shining black leather with platinum hair, you looked like such an angel! That was when I knew you were meant to be mine!" Spike's moment of happy reflection died away when he remembered what followed.

"We massacred the bloody lot, Harm."

"Oh Spike! They were like totally evil! If we didn't have the whole vamp thing going on we'd have been all dead and stuff! Deader."

"I suppose. We did have fun together, didn't we? Those first few weeks, before we came to Sunnydale."

"You hardly let me get out of bed." Spike gave a weak smile, remembering somewhat fondly how they played together, before Buffy had come back into his life and any reality of a relationship he'd cultivated with the woman across from him flew right out the window. It hadn't been fair to the young vampire. She'd fallen in love with him in an un-heartbeat, he'd just wanted some fun and a pretty girl on his arm."I was pretty innocent, Spike, and you made me love you."

"And then..."

"And then you ripped out my heart over and over again, danced the macarena on it even. You were my little lamb and you went all Hannibal Lector on me!"

"I know, pet, and I am sorry, truly. Not that it's any consolation, but I'm a good man now, I treat Buffy very well."

"You're really in love? With that tramp?"

"She's not a tramp and I'm in love with her and she's in love with me, and by the way Harm, don't forget you are running a brothel!"

"Legitimate business, have a license and everything."

"And you got that license how?"

"Well, the guy at city hall really wanted a couple of girls to do this kinky quadruple fang penetration on his...okay I get the point, I'm not stupid!" He smiled at her.

"No, you're not, in fact Harmony, I think you've become quite a strong, beautiful woman."