Chapter 11

Buffy checked herself again in the bathroom mirror and frowned. She'd spent almost an hour trying to make herself look sexy, instead all she managed to achieve was a bedraggled, snotty mess in a little black dress. Her make-up looked wretched over puffy blood shot eyes and over heated, oily skin, except her nose, which was peeling from overuse of tissues. Disgusted, the Slayer tore off her clothes and washed her face clean."Great," she said to herself, looking at the streaks of red on her face where she'd scrubbed too hard,"You're a real catch there Buffy...if you're a Horak Demon."

She dressed herself in sweats and tied her hair up in a pony tail before heading downstairs for another bowl of soup and some ginger ale. Everything on her body ached and knowing that Spike was out at the best restaurant in town with his ex-girlfriend was not helping. Her curiosity was definitely getting the better of her. He hadn't called once in the time that he was gone. He never took her cell phone with him and she couldn't exactly call the restaurant and not have him feel like he was on a leash. She didn't want to embarrass him like that. But on the other hand he'd been gone for almost two hours and likely they were having more than just drinks. There might even be mochachino cake involved at this point. He probably had a nice steak for dinner, which Harmony no doubt treated him to. Buffy wondered what else the vampiress might try to treat him to. She trusted him, totally, but Harmony was devious....Harmony was... Buffy stopped herself. Harmony was an idiot. Except maybe where being a tramp was concerned and Spike always did like bad girls. Buffy mentally promised that she'd show him what a real bad girl was like as soon as she kicked this wretched cold.

After a few more minutes of weighing the pros and cons, and Spike still not calling or coming home, she surmised that there was nothing wrong with just passing by the restaurant's front window to have a peak, but respectably from across the street. Feeling strong and determined, she packed a stake in her sleeve, just in case, and made her way out into the night. Upon opening the door Buffy nearly went straight into Anya.

"Ha! I knew it! Rupert told me not to be preposterous Anya, but I knew better!" the former demon exclaimed, a smile as broad as the horizon across her face."You look terrible."

"Anya, what are you doing here?"

"Well, Spike went over to Rupert's to borrow a suit and I came over just after Spike left. Rupert told me how sick you were and that Spike was all whingy. I know tonight is Dawn and Willow's movie night and you're all alone, so I am here to give you my brand of well being to get you on the speedy road to recover. Whingy, I like that word, I plan to use it more often."

"Whingy? Spike was whingy. He was complaining about me?"

"Oh no no, it wasn't like that. I'm sure he's perfectly happy to take care of you when you're snotty and demanding. Going out?"

"No, um, I'm not."

"You're not remotely curious about how your fiancé's date is going?"

"It's not a date!"

"Xander and I would never go out, I know Rupert wouldn't like it. He thinks he's too old for me, I have to remind him I've got a least a 1000 years on him and that he's a far superior lover than Xander."

Buffy shivered, a sudden chill enveloping her.

"This whole you and Giles dating thing is still weird."

"Because marrying a vampire is so common."

Buffy sniffed and gave up.

"Sorry."

"So. Wanna go spy on Spike?"

"Okay."

***

"And the Gem of Amara?" Harmony suggested.

"Sorry for that too, not just taking it from you, but for the staking especially."

"Oh I'm over that one, Spikey, but I am still bitter over Droodzilla - where you just cast me aside as soon as she wiggled her bony black clad behind!"

"Actually, and sorry over Dru, technically I cast you both off for Buffy."

"So I guess she likes being chained up huh?" The amused look on Spike's face told Harmony the answer.

"What can I say? The Slayer likes a little monster in her man, but there's a bit of a beast in the Slayer too. Speaking of which, it's time I was getting on."

"Oh! Don't go! Please?" She turned on the shy, innocent, school girl act that Spike remembered as being absolutely adorable, but Buffy won out.

"No, I should be pushing off, it's hard being apart from her, especially when she's sickly."

"Oh pffft! She's the slayer, hello? I think she can survive a little longer without her lap dog."

"Hey! Watch it!" Harmony laughed off his offense.

"How's about a little mochachino cake?"

"Well, perhaps, I do fancy something sweet. Ever since Buffy fell ill the candy store's been closed." Harmony made a face of disgust.

"Little advice there, Spikey - I don't ever want to hear about you eating the Slayer unless it's with your fangs in her neck drainin' her dead!"

***

"So just because Harmony has a soul now, does that automatically make her good?" Anya pondered as she and Buffy made their way down the street towards Savio's."Because vengeance demons are like elephants, you know? We never forget. It was her minions that got me my first injury as a human being."

"Which was this?" Buffy asked, as she fished several crumpled tissues from her pocket and blew her nose, drawing the attention from most of the other people on the street.

"You sound like a foghorn and it was my broken arm, you know, when Harmony's minions kidnapped your sister who so stupidly gave that moronic vampire an invite into your house."

"Right, forgot about that. Sorry. Willow did do a disinvite though....eventually."

"It was tonight, wasn't it? After Spike left?" Buffy frowned, unwilling to own up to the truth and seriously loathing the self-righteous, smug look on Anya's face. The Slayer's pace was quickening, forcing Anya to jog to keep up.

There was something off about Buffy since they'd come out into the night, Anya had never seen her this focused and determined, except when they were heading into the final showdown with Glory. Anya, always being keenly observant, and took note of the seemingly sudden change that had come over her friend. Her face was beet red, her skin shone with sweat and the woman was walking with such purpose only a herd of rhino could have more impact."Buffy! Slow down! You can't go crashing into the restaurant like this, Spike..."

"SPIKE!!?" the Slayer roared, spinning back around and pinning Anya against a building, her arm pressed at the ex-demon's throat.

"Woah! Buffy?! What's gotten into you?" The Slayer enraged, her eyes wild and violent, totally out of control.

"You want him, don't you!? Ever since that one night when you plied him with liquor and seduced him!!"

"Okay, who beat you with the crazy stick? I don't see any Glarghk Guhl Kashmas'nik and I'll have you know I'm perfectly happy with Rupert!"

"You're a liar! You'll never have Spike again Anya! He's mine!!" By now a crowd had begun to gather around them, a few men stepping up to help the young woman under attack. Two men laid their hand over Buffy's arms in an attempt to pry her off of Anya, but the Slayer retaliated and sent both men flying down the street with two well placed and hard blows. The people began to back away, all very apprehensive and terrified by the obviously disturbed young woman. Anya bravely put her hand to Buffy's face, and snatched it away before the Slayer reacted.

"Buffy, you're burning up. We should get you to the hospital."

"Come near Spike again and I'll kill you." With that threat, the Slayer stormed off - into open traffic.

"Buffy!! LOOK OUT!!!"