Chapter 8

"What you doing up so early?" Dawn asked as she entered the kitchen the next morning, more than ready to get the last day of school over with,"That psychotic sister of mine turn you into her slave?" Spike was sitting at the island, writing on a piece of paper. Dawn examined him, his face looked gaunt and his eyes sunken, dark circles forming underneath. He looked up from his page, slipping it off from the counter and passing it to her.

"Pick these up on your way home," he spoke. He took up his wallet next and gave her a fifty dollar bill."That should cover it."

"Spike! You're nuts, there's enough cold and flu medicine on this list to down an elephant!" Spike seemed offended.

"Just do it."

"God, she really has you wrapped around her finger doesn't she?"

"It's not her who's doing the asking, are you gonna get the bloody stuff or not?!"

"Woah, take it down a few notches there, it's just a cold."

"Just a cold? In my day a person could die from just a cold!" His outburst gave the younger Summers pause. She looked him over again, the tell tale signs were there.

"You haven't slept at all have you? Or had any blood?" Spike looked down at his hands, feeling bereft and helpless.

"I can't seem to do anything right...she's in pain and I can't do anything." Dawn sighed and inched closer to her would-be brother in law. She placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"She likes ice cold ginger ale too, I'll get some more. Meanwhile, just make her comfy. She's had colds before, we all have, it's perfectly normal, there's nothing to worry about."

"Doesn't feel normal." His instincts had made him certain of that.

"Well it is, give her a couple of days of being down for the count and she'll be back to herself in no time, bossing you around and slappin' your ass like she always does." Spike have a weak smile and a nod.

"Yeah...she sure does like my bum..." Dawn gave a sour look and Spike changed the subject,"You'll get her the stuff?"

"Yes, Spike, I'll come home right after school with it."

"Thanks, bit."

Some time later after Dawn had gone off to school, Spike braved being in his love's presence again. He mentally chastised himself for being a weak arsed ninny, so freaked by a simple head cold and fever that he was becoming a right git. Freshly squeezed orange juice in one hand and a pack of ice in the other he entered their bedroom. When she wasn't in bed his stomach gave a lurch of panic, but a moment later she emerged from the bathroom.

"You ought to stay in bed!" he barked.

"A girl's gotta pee," Buffy replied, flopping back down on the mattress,"Gimme juice." He passed it too her and she took a few grateful sips before setting it aside. Twisting his lips around as if in deep thought, Spike tentatively took at seat next to her.

"How are you feeling this morning?" She sniffed and shrugged her shoulders.

"Same. Styffed, achy. Not a happy Buffy." He smiled at her pouting, then slipped the ice back under her hair and on her neck. She moaned in appreciation, going limp,"That's nice." He was pleased, he felt slightly less useless."You always take such good care of me, even when I'm an uber-bitch."

"You're not an uber-bitch, and when you are being a bitch, your skin flushes with this glow that makes my knees weak."

"Don't flirt with me when I'm snotty, it's not fair."

"I'll be flirting with you when you're fifty, sweetness. Now lay back and go to sleep."

"Will you stay?"

"Of course, pet, we're practically glued to the hip." He eased down next to her, careful not to be too close as to make her aching body uncomfortable.

"Except last night...where were you?"

"Oh, that...um."

"If you went to see Harmony..."

"I didn't set out too, but I..."

"You had to know what happened?"

"Yeah." She moved her hand over his, giving it a firm squeeze."

"I'm not upset, I trust you. I don't trust her past the business of Mr. Pointy, but you I trust completely." He took up her hand and kissed it.

"We talked, if you can believe in Harm holding a real conversation . There were no trials, there was no torture or blood or pain...." His voice cracked, remembering the ordeal that he'd gone through less than a year ago,"No suffering....there's a mystic in Paris, pay him a little money and he gets you your soul. Harmony always wanted me to take her to Paris..."

"But you stayed in Sunnydale instead."

"Well, the Initiative nabbed me, love, didn't have too much of a choice there."

"You still could've left."

"I was kinda sweet on you then, you know, 'cause of hating you so much."

"Mutual, I'm sorry you had to go through so much badness. I hope I can be worth it." He snuggled in close to her, kissing her flannel covered shoulder.

"You've said you'll be my wife, Buffy I'd do it all again in a flash just for this moment." She turned over and he gazed upon her, eyes bloodshot, nose scaly and running, lips chapped and skin flush and shiny - she was the most beautiful creature in the world to him.

"No more pain and suffering for my guy. I might smell like menthol and have more snot than a Chaos Demon, but imagine this is my sexy voice telling you that you're the love of my life and that the soul you fought for, for me, is the most beautiful thing anyone has ever done and I hold it close to my heart, just as I hold you there too, and I love you Spike. Stop crying, don't need you all sniffly too." He scowled and wiped the unbidden tears from his eyes.

"Then stop being so perfect."

"No, you stop."

"You stop."

"Shut up."

"You shut up."

"No you shut up!"

"I'll shut you up..." Then he kissed her, realizing why Dru had found that bloke in South America so appealing.