Buffy returned to the Magic Box around sundown. Entering the backroom unnoticed, she stopped dead when she saw Faith and Angel amongst the rest of the group, discussing strategy. For a moment, she stared, dumbstruck.

“How can you do this?” Buffy cried out. Everyone dropped what they were doing to regard her in surprise. “My God! Have you all forgotten what she’s done to us?” She pointed an accusatory finger to Faith. “Have you all forgotten that she’s a murderer, and evil, and sick, and psychotic?” She turned her gaze to Willow, who was sitting on Alec’s lap. “How she kidnapped Willow?” She paused before turning to Xander. “And you! You were used, and discarded, and then she tried to kill you. Oh, and let’s not forget ANGELUS here.” She turned her hateful gaze on Angel as he flinched. It was the first time she had ever addressed him by that name. “How he murdered our friends, and tried to get the world sucked into Hell? So, what, now it’s ‘forgive and forget’?” Buffy scoffed before muttering, “I don’t think so.”

“Buffy,” Xander called as he watched her turn to go. “Angel’s paid for what he did, and he’s paid back the debt several times over.”

Buffy spun around, her mouth sagging open. Xander was DEFENDING Angel?

“He saved all our lives at graduation,” Xander continued, “and from what Oz told us, when he got back from L.A., Angel’s done his best over there to make amends. If what’s coming is as bad as everyone seems to think it is, then we’re going to need his help.” Xander grinned wryly as Willow, Buffy and Angel all gaped at him. “Besides, Angel is always welcome to help in a nice non-key capacity.” He smiled at Angel, and the vampire shook his head with a light chuckle.

“Thanks, Harris,” Angel replied. “I appreciate it.”

“So, you’re all ‘buddy buddy’ with Angel now, huh?” Buffy asked with a scoff. “Now I KNOW the end of the world is coming. So, what about Faith? Huh, Xander? Does she get into your ‘fine and dandy’ book as well? What’s her excuse?”

Xander’s smile faded, as the rest of the group exchanged worried looks. They’d never heard Buffy talk like this. It took Xander several moments before he could find his voice once more.

“Well, I mean, … Spike’s been trying to kill us a lot longer than Faith has, and he’s welcome to help, so I figured – ” That was as far as he got, before Buffy walked over, and slapped him hard across the face.

The sound was like a gunshot as Xander spun around and fell hard against the table, a large red handprint blazoned against his face.

“Buffy!” Willow cried out in shock, as she leapt to her feet.

Even Spike looked stunned as he cautiously stood. “Hey, come on, love. That wasn’t necessary. I mean, he’s right,” he offered with a slight grin. He had hoped to ease her anger as he reached out to put a hand on her shoulder, but she knocked it aside.

“Don’t touch me, got it?” Buffy growled. She carefully moved back up the stairs toward the exit. Anya was tending to Xander; his cheek was already swelling up, red and ugly. For an instant, Buffy looked horrified, but her eyes hardened again, and she gestured to her friends. “The way I see it? Faith is evil, and anyone who helps her? Well, they’re not much better. I don’t want your help. I don’t need your help. I’m going to deal with the Hellmouth like a slayer should.” She opened the door. “By myself!” she screamed at them, and slammed the door shut behind her.

There was a collective flinch from the group at the sound, and a stunned silence followed, with the exception of Anya trying to comfort Xander.

“Anyone want to go after her?” Alec asked quietly after a long silence.

“Yeah, she’s my girlfriend…I think. Guess it should be me,” Spike commented glumly.

“Normally, Spike, I’d agree,” spoke Giles, as he removed his glasses, and began to clean them. “But I don’t think it would be a good idea, right now, given the fragile state of mind she’s in.” Spike started to protest, but Giles raised a finger to silence him. “Spike, she struck Xander. I’ve never seen her so incensed. She’s clearly not thinking rationally.” Giles turned to his son. “Alec, you seem to be the closest to her without having such an extensive past attached. Would you…?” Alec held up a hand to signal that Giles didn’t need to finish his question.

“I’m on it,” Alec assured his father, as he rose to leave.

“Be careful,” Willow muttered with a hint of caution. “I’ve…I’ve never seen her like this. Not even after the Master killed her, and she was acting like a complete bitca.”

“No worries, I’ll see what I can do.” Alec smiled slightly and kissed her lips gently in reassurance. Willow’s lip trembled slightly. The sight of her friend so unhinged was beginning to take its toll. Alec gathered her up in a tight hug. “Don’t worry, baby. She’ll be okay,” he whispered as he released her.

Willow sniffled, and nodded tearfully, before walking over to where Anya and Faith were tending to Xander.

“Make her understand, mate,” Spike pleaded as he placed a hand on Alec’s arm. “She can’t fight this thing on her own. She’ll get herself killed.” His eyes burned with concern for his lover.

“I’ll do my best, man.” Alec placed a firm hand on Spike’s shoulder, offering him a smile of assurance. Spike nodded, and his hand fell, to return to his side.

Casting another look at the group, Alec swept out of the room, closing the door gently behind him.



He found her sitting on a swing in a playground, sobbing pitifully. He waited for her to acknowledge his presence. Wiping her eyes angrily, she glared at him with all the hatred she could muster through her tears.

“I know what you’re going to say. ‘How could you be such a bitch? What are you thinking? You can’t fight the Hellmouth by yourself!’.” She sniffled, and wiped her nose on her sleeve. “Well, I can, and I will, and I don’t need you, or Xander, or Willow, or Giles, or Spike, or Angel, or anyone else’s help to do it!”

Alec regarded her calmly, leaning against the pole of the swing set with his arms crossed over his chest.

“Well?!? Say something you… you demonic freak!” She snarled. “You half-breed, say something!” She rose to her feet, ignoring the swing as it bounced off the back of her legs, and she stalked over to him. “Say something, or so help me...!” She reared her hand back to hit him, but her arm was easily caught by Alec, and he held her tightly.

She began to curse, and scream, as she struck him. “Let me go! I hate you! I hate all of you! How could you betray me like this? Faith is evil! Why can’t any of you see that? You don’t know what she did to me! Let me GO!” She pummeled futilely against his chest.

Finally her resolve broke, and the guilt and shame of what she had done washed over her. Her knees grew weak as the sobs continued, making her seem nothing more than a scared and hurt little girl in his arms. Alec gently supported her, while whispering soothing words to her. She poured all her hate, her fear, and rage into him, and he accepted it stoically. He did not judge her, but merely offered quiet love and support. As the sobs lessoned, and soon stopped, she hiccupped slightly, and regarded him with tearstained eyes.

“Oh God, what did I do? I hit Xander! I said awful things! You must all hate me!”

“No one hates you, Buffy,” Alec said gently, hushing her worries. “Not me, not Xander, not anyone. We’re just worried about you.” He used a finger to tilt her chin up to look at him. “You’re better than this. Better than unthinking hatred. Yes, Faith has sinned, against you especially, and that’s not an easy thing to forgive or forget. But she’s here now, and she’s willing to fight to atone for those sins. Just like Angel, and just like Spike.” He smiled wryly. “Although, you try getting Spike to admit he’s sorry for anything.” The last comment made her smile slightly.

“Yeah, really,” Buffy replied weakly. Alec smiled at her, and then grew serious.

“We’re all here for you Buffy, you have Xander, Willow, Angel, Spike, Anya, Faith, my father… and you have me,” he kissed her forehead tenderly, Buffy closed her eyes and sighed, shuddering. “I can’t speak for Faith, or Anya, because I don’t know them well enough, but I know the rest of us love you dearly, and we’re not going to let you go face this thing alone, you hear me?” Buffy nodded, sniffling. She started to say something, but Alec cut her off.

“You’re welcome,” he told the slayer, as he smiled, and wrapped an arm around her.

“Come on. Dad’s in full research mode, and Xander’s going to go on a doughnut run… as soon as the swelling in his face goes down.” Buffy laughed a little at that.

“Jelly doughnuts?” she asked hopefully.

Alec nodded. “Preferred pastry of Slayer and Watcher alike.”

Buffy smiled again.

“Well, … okay,” she pointed a finger at him, mock serious, “but ONLY because there’s going to be jelly doughnuts there.” Alec laughed, and gathered her up in a tight hug.

“That’s the law of the universe, fight immortal evil and you get all the jelly doughnuts you can eat.”

Buffy smiled and rested against him.

“You’re a good big brother,” she whispered. Alec smiled, and gently bopped his forehead against hers affectionately.

“Ouch,” she sniffled mildly, before laughing gently.

“Come on, let’s go, before Dad eats all the jellies,” he took her hand, and led her back to the magic shop.


The bell over the door rang, and all heads swiveled towards it. Alec, and a significantly calmer looking Buffy, entered. Spike got up and walked over to her, putting a hand on her shoulder, gazing into her eyes, concerned.

“Are you all right, baby?” he asked. She nodded, and patted his hand.

“I’m good, and I’m sorry about the things I said,” Buffy assured him. Spike waved it off.

“Yeah, well, I’ll think of someway for you to make it up to me later,” he replied cockily with a leering grin. She smiled, and he kissed her cheek before leading her to the table. The vampire sent a grateful look to Alec, who nodded in return as he followed the pair back to the table where their friends were anxiously waiting.

Buffy took a deep breath and spoke, “I had no right to say the things I did or to hit Xander.” She turned an extremely apologetic look to her friend, who was seated at the table still cradling an icepack to his face. “I’m really sorry, Xander. Tell you what, I’ll spring for donuts.” Xander continued to ignore her while nursing his jaw. “And pizza?” she added hopefully.

Xander still continued to regard her humorlessly.

“And ice cream?” he interjected.

Buffy sighed with relief and smiled. “Deal.” She leaned down to gather her friend in a tight hug.

Xander flinched. “Ow! Cheek is still of the hurting.”

Buffy gasped and released him quickly.

“Ooo! Sorry!” She smiled apologetically at him, and then she turned her attention to Faith, who was seated across from Giles. The tension level in the room grew noticeably, and Willow—who was seated between the two slayers—cautiously got up and moved out of the line of fire to stand next to Alec. He wrapped an arm around her waist, and patted her reassuringly.

“Faith,” Buffy began. “You’ve injured me in ways I really never thought could exist. You’ve tortured my friends, you’ve stolen my body, abused my loved ones, and nearly helped bring about the end of the world. This isn’t stuff you just forgive.”

Faith looked down, ashamed in the face of Buffy’s accusations.

Buffy let the moment hang a while, before continuing. “But Angel is right, this is bigger than any of that, and if we’re going to survive, it’s going to be as a team.”

Faith's head began to lift in hope and disbelief.

Buffy saw the look and held up a hand. “We are NOT friends, Faith. I don’t like you and I don’t trust you… but that doesn’t matter. What matters is that you’re here and you’re willing to help. So, for the duration of the emergency only, you’re on parole.”

Faith began to smile in relief. The relief didn’t last. Buffy leaned in close to her scarred face and bared her teeth in a way that could not be mistaken for a smile.

"But if you screw up just this much," Buffy growled as she slowly held up two fingers in front of Faith's face, spacing them out to indicate less than an inch, "I am going to find a bigger knife and a taller building. Are you hearing me crystal clear Faith? Are we “five by five”?" She demanded with a snarl as she finished the threat. Faith swallowed hard and nodded indicating that she did.

Buffy backed away a little before sitting down next to Spike, who was regarding her with a mixture of shock and awe while gently tugging at the collar of his shirt uncomfortably.

Xander spoke up, “Okay, so, since Buffy is buying, who wants what on their pizza?” Eight pairs of eyes turned to regard him, uncomprehending.

He shrugged. “What? I’m hungry.”

Willow tentatively put up a hand.

“I’ll have mushrooms please,” she put forth meekly. The room dissolved into light laughter and smiles as the tension drained out of the room. Alec looked down at her, and made a face.

“Fungus, love?”

She shrugged, and Giles smiled slightly.

“I’ll make the calls,” said the Watcher, but then stopped, and added almost hopefully, “Someone is going for doughnuts, yes?” There was another round of quiet laughter. Alec grinned at his father’s well known affection for the gooey treats.

“Jellies for all, dad.”

Giles smiled in relief and went to go make the calls.



Six pizzas, and two dozen doughnuts later, the group discussed their options.

Giles spoke first.

“I think it’s safe to say that this isn’t going to be any kind of quick skirmish or a single battle. This is going to be a protracted campaign. It is bigger than anything we’ve ever done and it will need a lot of preparation.”

Xander raised a hand.

“How exactly does one ‘prepare’ to face primordial evil?” he asked sardonically.

“Carefully,” Alec put in wryly. “Carefully and thoroughly.”

“Hear, hear,” Angel added.

Giles cleared his throat. “Precisely, and that being the case, I suggest we set forth a list of priorities. The first thing we’ll need to do is, not surprisingly, research.”

This promptly elicited groans from the table; save Angel, who had grown used to doing research during his tenure in L.A., and Alec and Willow, who both relished a little book worming.

Giles held a hand up for silence. “I’ve consulted most of my books regarding both the Hellmouth, and the Key, but I’m afraid I just don’t have the proper tomes.”

Faith quietly spoke up, “The mayor had a pretty good sized collection of books.” She turned to Willow for support. Willow bobbed her head emphatically in agreement, remembering her brief and wholly unwilling extended stay at the building.

“That’s right! Maybe he’ll have something on the Key! He certainly should have something regarding the Hellmouth,” Willow replied as she looked back at Faith. The dark-haired slayer slowly nodded her head.

“Yeah, he once told me he founded Sunnydale so that demons could feed here. It’d make sense he’d know a ton about the Hellmouth before doing so,” She added before turning to Buffy. “Is City Hall still up and running?”

Buffy regarded her coolly before catching herself and sighing. She tried desperately to beat down the rush of hatred that filled her.

“Yeah, although it’s pretty vacant now. After the Mayor’s little performance at graduation, a lot of people regard City Hall as sort of a haunted house.” She shrugged. “I keep hearing plans of closing and tearing it down, but nobody seems to get around to it.”

Faith smiled slightly, and turned back to address the group, “Then I’ll go down and get the books.”

Spike snorted slightly. “What, you’re just going to ask the non-existent secretary for the keys to the ex-demons office then? And I thought my slayer was the only one who couldn’t keep a sane plan to save her life.” Spike chortled.

Buffy swatted him upside the head. “Look who’s talking, Mister ‘let’s put together a giant demonic Smurf and unleash him on a Cineplex.”

Spike was about to retort when Alec cut in.

“I think it’s safe to say that it’s going to require both a little discretion and someone who knows enough about arcane lore to grab the right books.” He got to his feet. “Either way, that means me. Faith and I will go to City Hall and get the books.” He addressed Buffy, “We’re going to need supplies too. Do you still have that commando friend of yours’ address?”

Buffy frowned.

“Riley? No, he was recalled and put in Nevada. I have no idea how to get in contact with him,” she told him.

Alec pursed his lips together and turned to Willow.

“Lover, can you hop online and find him? You’ll want to check the national records database, subcategory armed forces; it’ll have some pretty impressive firewalls so you may have to work a little magic to nudge it along.” Alec turned to Giles. “Jenny told me she gave you a disk once containing a few techno pagan rituals?”

Giles frowned in thought, and then said, “Yes, but I’ll have to go back to the house to get them.”

Alec nodded and turned back to Willow. “You feel like committing a felony, love?” he asked her wryly.

She smiled, and bounded to her feet.

“My parents pay taxes so I think I’m entitled to raid the federal database,” she replied.

Buffy interrupted, “So, once we get Riley’s address, then what?”

Alec turned to her. “That’s where Xander comes in.”

Xander was talking to Anya. His ears perked up at hearing his name.

“Huh? What? Am I key guy again?” he asked with equal parts bewilderment and anticipation.

Alec regarded him inquiringly. “You still possess any of that army know-how?”

Xander smiled and nodded his head. “Aye-firmative. What’cha need? Rocket launcher? C-4? Heavy ordinance preferred by slayers everywhere,” quipped Xander, waggling his eyebrows and earning a grin from Alec.

“Perhaps. I need something like a shotgun, but a little faster on the draw. Also, I need incendiary rounds, you know, like they have in flare guns. Anything spring to mind?” Alec asked.

Xander frowned as he thought about it. “Maybe. That doesn’t sound as easy as your generic rocket launcher, but I’ll think of something,” he assured the other man.

Alec nodded in satisfaction. “Good. Figure it out, and when you get a hold of Riley, ask him for a lot of them. Give him the Cliff Notes version of what’s going on, and make sure he can get them out here in a hurry. Riley might be risking a court martial here, so stress how important this is, and ask nicely.”

“Yes, sir,” saluted Xander.

Alec nodded, and turned to Angel and Spike.

“Angel, Spike: head to Willy’s. We need the “word on the street” as well. Buffy once told me that whenever there’s serious evil in the ground sub-terraneanians tend to vacate. Find out if that’s happened, and if so, exactly why. Also, we need to find as many entrances to the underground as we can; natural cave formations, service access tunnels, sewers, crypts. Everything. Maybe we can find an optimal approach for this thing,” he told them.

Spike interjected with a frown, “Ah, excuse me, mate, but I’m not exactly popular down at Willy’s anymore.”

Alec arched an eyebrow. “Well, if you’re afraid, I suppose you could always help Dad with research,” he suggested mildly.

Spike's face darkened and he leapt to his feet.

“Bloody hell! Bring it on!” cried the bleached vampire, and shook his fist in the air, earning chuckles of amusement, and a slap on the butt from Buffy.

“That’s the spirit, honey,” she joked wryly. Spike looked down at her with a grin.

Alec chuckled before turning to Giles.

“Dad, get Quentin on the horn and find out what they can tell us. Stress the whole ‘end of the world’ angle,” he told his father.

“Yeah, find out if they can send some sort of special ops team like they’ve been known to. Usually at the worst possible time,” Buffy added sending Faith a look. Faith averted her eyes, and studied an open book.

Giles cleared his throat.

“Yes.” He checked his watch. “It’s about midnight there, so I’ll be waking the old man up.” The elder Giles smiled with a hint of wickedness in his expression. “I don’t think I have a problem with that. I’ll call him from my house.”

Alec nodded.

“All right then, that’s the plan. Buffy, Dad, Willow, Xander: You go to Dad’s house for hacking, phone calls, and heavy ordinance procurement. Angel, Spike: Willy’s for information. Faith and I will go raid City Hall.”

Anya spoke up, “What about me?”

Alec tightened his lips together in thought. “Anya, stay here and keep an eye on the store.”

An idea struck him. “Willow, do you still have that glyph that demon gave you?” he asked.

Willow nodded and answered, “It’s back at the dorm.”

He turned to Buffy.

“Buffy-?” Alec began.

Buffy was already on her feet. “On it,” she told him. “Willow, where is it?”

“Oh, it’s in my jewelry box, next to the box of cond – ” Willow stopped as her hand flew to her mouth and her face quickly colored to match her hair. Spike gave the witch a cynical look. Buffy mirrored it and grinned teasingly before patting Willow on the shoulder.

“In the jewelry box. I got it, Wills.”

Buffy turned to Anya.

“Do you think this demon guy is likely to help?”

Anya frowned.

“D’Hoffryn is pretty set in his ways.” She exhaled slowly. “But I suppose I could go to all the trouble of asking him,” she added with a huff.

Buffy nodded curtly and turned to Alec. “I’ll have Giles drop me off at the dorms, and then I’ll run back here, and drop it off before heading back up to his place,” she told her brother.

Alec nodded.

“Sounds good. So, we’re all set then?” he asked. There were general sounds of assent from the table. Alec got his coat, and, for the first time, noticed the odd looks he was getting from everyone.

“What?” he finally asked.

Buffy spoke up. “When did you get all ‘take charge with the delegating and the plan’?”

Alec stopped to regard her. “If you have a better idea, sis, I’m all ears,” he stated simply.

She shook her head. “It’s a good plan, it’s just a side of you I haven’t seen,” Buffy commented as she leaned forward to kiss his cheek and then pinch it. “You’re so cute when you’re all take-charge macho man.” She grinned as he rolled his eyes and shoved her gently away.

“Am-scray, time is moving and we are standing still,” he said. Everyone got to their feet and filed out into the night. “Don’t forget, Buffy, Dad. Midnight - the Bronze,” Alec called after them.

“Will do!” Buffy yelled as she, Willow, Xander, and Giles piled into Giles’s new sporty red car. Angel and Spike headed in the opposite direction towards Angel’s car, a black ’67 Plymouth GTX with the top down.

“Good luck,” Angel told Alec.

“You, too,” Alec replied. He shook Angel’s hand, and slapped Spike's palm before leveling a warning finger at the vampire.

“Remember: ‘information’ not ‘body count’, comprende?” Alec warned his friend. Spike growled good-naturedly and lit a cigarette.

“Bloody Hell, you’re as bad as your sister,” he said, grinning as he shook his head and followed Angel. As they retreated, Alec could just make out the two vampires bickering.

“A vampire with a convertible, you really are a professional sufferer, aren’t you?” Spike mocked the elder vampire.

“Spike, don’t start on my car, it’s a good car. And get rid of the cigarette,” Angel retorted. Alec heard Spike mutter something obscene as he and Angel piled into the car and headed off towards Willy’s.

Chuckling, Alec turned to regard the only people remaining: Faith and Anya. He turned to Anya, who wore an unhappy expression on her face. Alec patted her shoulder sympathetically.

“Don’t worry, he’ll be back soon,” he assured her, referring to Xander. She shook her head.

“It’s not that. Willow just reminded me that I forgot to buy condoms,” Anya lamented. “That means Xander and I can’t have sex tonight.”

Alec laughed. “We’re going to be a tad too busy preventing the apocalypse for you and he to get some loving in.”

Anya glared at him.

“That doesn’t make me feel better,” she snarled as she stalked back into the store.

Still laughing quietly, Alec turned to Faith.

“You ready to go?” He asked her.

Faith sighed long and hard before looking at him.

“Why did you volunteer to go with me? You know full well I could handle it by myself,” she pointed out.

Alec shrugged. “Actually, it makes sense. You could use someone who knows the occult well enough to grab the right stuff. Besides, I figured you’d feel more comfortable traveling with someone who wasn’t around when all this insanity involving you and the Mayor occurred,” he told her. This made Faith grimace.

“Point,” she conceded, though her gaze was still hard. “That still doesn’t explain why,” she added.

Alec turned to go. “We’ve all got things to atone for. Maybe I can help you along. You coming or not?” he called over his shoulder. Faith sighed again and followed.

“Hey, chief, it’s a long walk from here to City Hall,” Faith interjected. Alec favored her with a sardonic grin.

“Who said anything about walking?” he replied. He led her behind the shop where something was gleaming in the dark. Faith inhaled sharply as she saw it.

“Sweet!” she exclaimed as she gazed adoringly at the viciously sleek-looking black and red sports bike leaning against the wall. “This is a bad-ass machine,” she commented appreciatively as she ran her fingers across the smooth curves of the bike, pushing a fingernail probingly against the leather of the double saddle, which made Alec chuckle.

“Does this suit your fancy?” he asked her, smiling crookedly. She bit her lower lip and grinned, a glimmer of the old Faith shining through.

“Does it ever! Man, the feeling of this baby between my legs. Grrrr!” she exclaimed as she threw a leg over the saddle with a grin. Alec shook his head, laughing quietly, and mounted the bike, handing her a helmet. Faith dutifully strapped it on before placing both her hands on his shoulders.

“Let’s ride, bad boy,” she purred into his ear. Alec just snorted in amusement and secured his own helmet.

Kick-starting the bike, the engine roared to life and elicited a squeal of delight from the slayer behind him. Gently easing the bike out of the alleyway, he gunned it and shot like a rocket down the street.

“Whoo-hoo-hoo!” Faith whooped as the bike turned gracefully around a corner. “God, I want this thing to bear my children!” she cried out in ecstasy.

Alec thought it best to change the subject.

“So, how long have you known Angel?” he asked.

Faith immediately calmed down, becoming morose.

“Since I first got here. I tried to kill him a couple of times, here and in L.A. For some reason, he’s stuck by me. Helped me to do what was right,” she told him.

“Yeah, what was that?” Alec asked, as he eased the bike around another turn.

“Turn myself in, and confess to multiple counts of homicide,” Faith answered with a sigh. “I had a pretty high tab to pay to the world. I guess coming out here is my way of doing it.”

Alec spared her a look over his shoulder. “So, how’d you get out of slam?” he asked.

Faith shrugged.

“Dunno. Today, I get hauled out of my cozy cell, and dumped before a parole board. Next thing you know, I’m out on the streets and some guy called Gunn is picking me up from the slammer telling me Angel needs me down in Sunnydale. I owed Angel, so here I am.” Faith sighed again. “I was probably safer in the slammer with Bertha the gnash hound gunning for me.”

Alec chuckled. “Probably, but if you’re serious about making amends, this is the way to do it.”

Faith snorted. “Terrific. Another Jiminy Cricket conscience, do guys like you come in some sort of karmic six-pack, or what?”

Alec chuckled again, not offended in the least.

Faith pointed down the street. “There it is: that big building on the left.”

Alec nodded, and slowed the bike to a stop in front of the main entrance. Getting off the bike, and helping Faith off, he stripped the helmet from his head, and gave the building a cursory glance, noting the darkened windows.

“Doesn’t look like anyone’s home,” Alec commented. Faith took her helmet off, and after taking his, tossed both onto the bike.

“Yeah,” she whispered back, her voice sounding strained.

Alec turned to face her. “You all right?” he asked.

Faith shook her head as if to clear it. “Yeah, just a lot of memories,” she said with a sigh and trudged up the front stairs. She pointed to a darkened window on the third floor. “That’s his office there.” She turned to regard Alec. “So, how do we get in?”

Alec sighed with a hint of dread, and turned to her. “Can you keep a secret?” he asked tentatively.

Faith shrugged and looked at Alec in confusion. “Sure. Why?”

Alec looked back up at the window reluctantly and then stepped into a nearby patch of shadow. The shadows lunged out and consumed him. Faith jumped back in surprise.

“What the fu-?” she peered into the darkness. “Hey, D, you still there?”

The window above her opened suddenly, and Alec peered out from it.

“Stay put, I’ll toss down a rope,” he called out to her.

Faith looked up at him, confused. “How the hell do you do that? And what rope?” She yelled back.

She got her answer a minute later as a long thick cord emerged from the window, and sinuously writhed down the side of the building to come to a stop before her face. Looking deeply apprehensive, she tentatively took it… and yelped in alarm, when the cord wrapped itself around her arm and dragged her up the side of the building with dizzying speed. Before she knew it, Alec was helping her through the window into the office.

Faith spun to him. “What the hell was…?!” her voice trailed off as she noticed the tendril of inky darkness uncoiling itself from her arm to shoot back underneath the flesh of Alec’s arm. The skin bulged grotesquely for a moment as the darkness writhed underneath and then it was gone.

Alec flexed his arm uncomfortably as he looked at her.

“Just a little trick that comes in handy every now and then. Keep mum about it, all right?”

Faith shook her head. “Sure. Whatever,” she assured him, smiling appreciatively. “Handy trick though.”

Alec snorted gently. “I hear that a lot from Slayers,” he replied quietly as he looked around for a light. Finding a desk lamp, he flipped it on.

Faith’s face pinched with emotion. Aside from some dust that he would have never tolerated, the office of Mayor Wilkins hadn’t changed at all since she had last stood here – right before that last fight with Buffy that had ended with her nearly gutted and in a coma. She felt a hand gently settle on her shoulder. She jumped and spun around only to have Alec regarding her with concern.

“You’re sure you’re okay?” he asked. Faith sighed and hung her head. She nodded before pointing to a large cabinet.

“All his freak stuff was in there,” she informed him quietly.

Alec gave her shoulder a brief squeeze before releasing her and turning to study the cabinet.

“Shouldn’t be a problem.” He turned back to Faith. “You want to wait outside?” he asked her sympathetically. Faith looked up suddenly—ready to protest—before sighing and nodding her head.

“Yeah, thanks,” she replied before turning back to the window.

Gently, Alec extended another tendril of darkness that wrapped around her slim waist, and without so much as a sound of protest, Faith was picked up off her feet, and carried out the window, down to street level. Willing the darkness to dissipate into nothingness, he shook his head in commiseration, and then went over to the cabinet. Fingering a large padlock, Alec smiled slightly.

“Trusting sort, wasn’t he?” he commented dryly.

Placing a fingertip to the keyhole, a tiny tendril of darkness sprung out from under Alec’s fingernail and penetrated the hole. A few seconds later, the lock sprung open and Alec opened the cabinet.

“Wow,” he whistled softly as he took it all in. Shrunken heads, a fetus in a jar, and various other fairly macabre items graced the shelves. “This was not your average public servant,” Alec commented, as he began gingerly reaching behind the various items, his fingers probing along the walls.

“Ah ha!” he exclaimed, as his fingers discovered a small catch switch.

Pressing it in, he stepped back as the bottom part of the wall beneath the cabinet slid open, revealing a pair of bookshelves containing several tomes. Crouching down, he began examining them.

“Necronomicon, Tobin’s spirit guide, Books of Ascension.” Alec shook his head in wonderment. This was a pretty eclectic bunch of reading material. “Hmmm… this could be promising.” He fingered the binding of one book. “ ‘La Boca de la Inferno, the mouth of Hell’.”

Taking the book from the shelf, Alec flipped through it. It looked to be written in Spanish, and bore some sort of missionary seal. Setting it aside, he continued to peruse the titles. Finding nothing else of interest, he was about to close the compartment when a small leather-bound bundle of papers fell out. Alec picked it up and examined it.

“ ‘Diary of Richard Wilkins, circa 1898?’ ” His eyes widened, and he shook his head. “Definitely NOT your average public servant.” Stuffing the diary in his jacket, he quietly closed the compartment. Picking up the other book, he relocked the cabinet, and walked over to the window.

“Faith!” Alec called out the window.

The slayer was leaning against his bike, fidgeting. She looked up.

“Catch!” he yelled, laying the book flat on its side, and dropping it; she caught it easily.

Throwing one leg over the window ledge, Alec dangled himself over it, and summoned a shadow from within the room to close the window. Then he simply let go of the window and fell.

“Dusk!” Faith cried out as she rushed futilely to try to catch him. He fell a short distance, and then his coat exploded outwards into a huge wave of trailing darkness, billowing out, quickly slowing his descent. He landed gracefully on his feet.

Faith whistled appreciatively. “Not bad, D! Very McFarland.”

Alec eyed her quizzically. “The impressionistic artist?”

“Comic book artist,” she replied, grinning. Alec shrugged as his coat became a thing of cloth once more. “Did you find what you were looking for?” she asked.

“Yeah, think so,” he replied. As he reached into his jacket, he removed a small cell phone and speed-dialed Buffy.

“What’s up, bro?” Her voice came to him over the earpiece.

“We got what we came here for. How are things on your end?” Alec asked. He heard Buffy say something to someone else in the room before coming back on the line.

“We just got Miss Calendar’s program up and running. Willow’s having a field day with it.” Alec smiled crookedly at that.

“I’ll bet. Any word from Spike and Angel?”

“Yeah, they just called from a pay phone. They’re on their way here,” Buffy replied.

“All right, we’ll be there shortly. See you soon.” Hitting END, he put the phone away, and turned to Faith.

“So, what’s the story?” she asked.

“Willow is hacking into the Pentagon with Jenny’s magic program, and Spike and Angel are on their way there,” Alec told her casually.

Faith nodded, grinning slightly. “Sounds like a typical night for the Scooby Gang. Guess we should get going. Don’t want to miss all the fun,” Faith cracked Throwing one last look at the building, she pulled on her helmet, and mounted the bike.

“Guess so,” Alec replied quietly.

Strapping on his helmet and getting on the bike, he kicked it to life and rocketed away from the dark building, and the dark memories it held.