The bell above the door rang pleasantly as the slayer, her vampire lover and her half-demon brother entered the magic shop. Rupert Giles was busy stacking some glass jars on a high shelf as he craned his neck to regard the new arrivals.

“Hello. Welcome to—” He stopped his automatic greeting as he recognized the new arrivals. “Oh. Hello Buffy, Spike,” he smiled warmly. “Hello son.” Buffy and Spike both nodded greetings to the Watcher.

Dusk smiled. “Hi dad.” He walked up to him as Buffy and Spike took seats against the wall, chatting.

Giles turned around to regard his son, “How have you –” his hand accidentally brushed against the stack of jars and without warning, they began to quiver and pitch forward.

Dusk yelled in alarm, “Dad! Watch out!” Giles frowned in puzzlement before turning to see the stack of glass jars toppling upon him.

“OH!” Giles yelled, throwing his hands up to brace himself against the onslaught of heavy glass. The onslaught never came. Dusk shot his arms out towards him and two thick tendrils of ropy darkness erupted from under the skin of his wrists, streaked towards the tumbling glass stack and wrapped themselves firmly around them, holding them together and still. Giles warily lowered his arms as Dusk maneuvered the tendrils to carefully place the glass jars back upon the shelf. Giles turned to face him, sighing in relief.

“Thank you, Alec. That could have been most…unpleasant.” He smiled and tried not to stare at the tendrils of thick inky cohesive darkness that had emerged from his son’s forearms that served as an obvious reminder of his demonic heritage. Dusk smiled tightly at him.

“Not a problem.” Finishing with the jars, Dusk snatched his arms back, causing the tendrils to snap and shoot backwards into his skin disappearing from sight. Dusk shook his arms gingerly, attempting to remove the pins-and-needles feeling that always accompanied using his powers. Buffy and Spike walked up from behind him.

“Nice save, Bro,” Buffy smiled and patted Dusk’s arm, making a pointed emphasis to show that she wasn’t bothered in the least by Dusk’s abilities. She looked up to survey her watcher. “Giles, you cool?” Giles nodded shaking himself from his uncomfortable reverie.

“Yes, thank you.” Moving away from the shelf, he stepped out and clapped his son on the shoulder gratefully, before sliding into ‘Watcher Mode’. “How was patrolling tonight, Buffy?”

The slayer shrugged, “Only two vampires, not much of a problem for the dynamic duo,” she shot Dusk a wry look, “Of COURSE, it would have gone by quicker if one of us would just use their little bag of tricks to dust the vamp instead of Darth Maul-ing it to death.”

Dusk smirked, “It pays not to be too reliant on anything but your own prowess. Self-reliance is the name of the game here.” Buffy rolled her eyes, smiled indulgently, and sighed.

“Okay, whatever you say, Bro, I’m just saying that if I had nifty little tendril thingies that shot out of my wrists and stuff, I’d use them for a lot more than merchandise management,” she finished gesturing to the newly-restored stack of jars.

Dusk turned and favored his father with a long-suffering glance. Without looking at her, he replied, “That’s because you, dear sibling, have a chronic dread of close quarters combat for fear of ruining your manicure.” Dusk finally turned to regard a mildly outraged Slayer.

“Hey, this was NOT a cheap manicure,” she retorted, gesturing to her fingernails.

Spike snorted behind her, “Yeah, I’ll attest to that fact, mate. Got the claw marks to prove it.” Dusk tried vainly to stifle a laugh, failing miserably; Buffy whirled around to confront her lover.

“You are SO asking for it, blondie!” she growled.

“Yeah? Look who’s talking?” he gestured to her own mane of blond hair. Exasperated, Buffy threw her hands in the air.

“Men!” she cried and sauntered over to Spike, dumping herself onto his lap.

“Oof!” Spike exclaimed, “Bloody Hell, how does such a tiny slip of a thing get to be so bleedin’ heavy?” Dusk chuckled as Buffy favored first him, then Spike with a lethal glance leveling a warning finger just under his nose.

“Watch it, lover, or its six inch stiletto heels in two and a half weeks.”

Spike’s jaw dropped and he shuddered slightly in horror. “Okay, I’m being good.”

Buffy instantly perked up. “Good!” Kissing the now quietly protesting Spike on the forehead, she turned her attention to the father and son observing all this, one with slight puzzlement, and the other with wry amusement. Buffy blushed slightly.

“Private joke. Couply stuff,” she offered as an explanation.

“Ah!” Both the Giles said in unison, bobbing their heads in perfect time with each other in an expression of understanding. Buffy stifled a laugh.

“Oh no, you two aren’t related at ALL!” she grinned. Dusk snorted.

“You should have seen the debates we had regarding what music to listen to,” he turned to offer his father a condescending look. “Bay City Rollers, indeed.” Giles returned the look defensively.

“What about that...din, you insist on listening to? That ‘six inch nails’?” Dusk smirked.

“I think you mean Nine Inch Nails, dad.” Spike and Buffy chuckled. Giles flustered slightly.

“Yes, well, be that as it may, it’s still noise pollution,” Giles countered haughtily. Buffy piped up.

“Oh come on, Giles, why don’t you tell him about that collection of Cream albums you showed my mother during that candy incident?” Giles desperately attempted to shush her as Dusk laughed.

“Cream? You listen to Cream?” Dusk howled with glee, “I love it! When was this?”

Giles had turned a rather embarrassed shade of red, scowling at the slayer who had betrayed him so grievously.

“It was…years ago, I doubt I still have them. Probably came to my senses and pitched them out with the rest of the rubbish,” Giles then hurriedly went to rearranging a shelf of crystals. Dusk smirked.

“Uh-HUH,” Dusk commented sardonically. He threw Buffy a conspiring wink which was quickly returned. “Whatever you say, Dad.”

Giles sighed and continued to busy himself with the shelf. Still laughing, Dusk patted his father’s shoulder affectionately and walked over to a chair opposite the cooing couple, who were wholly oblivious to his presence. Chuckling quietly, Dusk picked up a book and began to flip through it. He’d inherited his father’s love of lore and reading.

A few minutes later, the door swung open, the small bell tinkling as four pairs of eyes lifted from what they were doing to regard the new arrival. Willow Rosenberg bounded in, a font of red hair and cheerfulness.

“Hi everybody,” she smiled and waved at Buffy, Spike and Giles. Her eyes fell upon Dusk, and her smile instantly became coy and demure. “Hey, you.” She meandered over to him. Dusk’s dark eyes lit up and he smiled slightly.

“Hey,” he purred, catching her hand in his and placing a warm kiss to it. Willow shook her head.

“Nuh-uh, mister, I want the whole package.” Swooping down she captured his mouth in hers in a long tender kiss. After some time, Spike cleared his throat noisily, earning him a swat from both Buffy and Dusk. Dusk finished his kiss and draped the redhead over his lap. She smiled and squirmed getting comfortable, before resting her chin on his chest. Dusk looked down at her amused.

“Is Milady comfortable?” Dusk inquired amused. Willow rocked her head back and forth.

“Uh-huh,” she batted her eyes at him, before snuggling against his chest, he smiled and stroked her hair, inhaling deeply her scent, savoring the way the smell of her hair and skin mixed to form a fragrance that was fully Willow.

“Awwwwww,” came from opposite them as Buffy and Spike regarded the lovers with deep amusement.

Dusk shot them a look, “Silence. The both of you.”

“Yeah,” Willow chimed in, “I haven’t seen this guy all day, and I’m having happies right now.” She replied haughtily.

“Yeah, imagine that. A whole day,” Spike scoffed. Dusk shot him a warning look.

“Spike? Think newts,” he cautioned the vampire.

Spike shut up immediately as Buffy shot him a confused look.

“What about newts?”

“Yeah,” Willow lifted her head up to regard Dusk lazily. “Was that a derogatory witch crack?” Dusk held up his hands.

“No, no. Monty Python reference,” he assured her. “I hold witches in very high esteem. One in particular,” he smiled at her as she got a big sappy grin on her face.

“Good,” she mumbled before nestling back into his chest. Spike shot Dusk a look. NICE SAVE, he mouthed silently. Dusk grimaced in agreement, before setting back comfortably into the chair. Giles spoke up,

“Alec? Will you be coming back to the house to gather the rest of your belongings tonight?”

When Dusk had arrived in Sunnydale, originally he had been living with Giles. However as time wore on it was obvious that Giles simply didn’t have the space. So, at Spike’s suggestion, Dusk had moved into the abandoned mansion on the hill that Spike, his sire, Drusilla, and Angel, had resided in years before. Dusk was still in the process of moving out.

Alec craned his neck towards his father; careful not to disturb the affectionate witch he had on his lap. “Probably, unless something comes up.”

Buffy’s cell phone rang, interrupting the little domestic moment that Buffy and Spike were currently indulging in. With a groan of annoyance Buffy eased herself up off of Spike’s lap and dug around in her purse for the ringing irritation. She found it and quickly checked the display.

“My mom,” she explained, before hitting the talk button and placing the phone to her ear. Spike sighed in frustration and went about examining the contents of the magic shop, bored. Buffy spoke into the phone.

“Yeah, Mom? What’s up?” Buffy placed a hand over her other ear to hear her more clearly.

“Buffy, I have to go back to the gallery; we’re having an emergency. An entire shipment of impressionistic work never arrived,” her mother explained hurriedly.

Buffy closed her eyes in dread, pinching the skin at the bridge of her nose in tension; she knew what was coming,

“So, would you mind too terribly coming home to watch Dawn, until I get back?” From somewhere in the room with her mother came a wail of protest.

“Moooom, not Buffy! Come on, I DON’T need a babysitter, I’m fourteen years old!” Dawn’s voice cried out in dismay. Buffy heard bits and pieces of an argument she’d heard too many times in person.

(Goodbye date, Goodbye Spike, Goodbye fun.) Buffy sighed defeated, placing a hand to her head. Spike caught her look of frustration. WHAT? He mouthed silently. Buffy put a hand over the mouthpiece. “Dawn,” she sighed, “Mom needs someone to play babysitter tonight.”

“Goh!” Spike’s eyes widened in frustration as he cursed and kicked the table in front of him, sending it careening into Dusks legs. His head shot up suddenly from its resting place atop Willows head, perplexed.

“What’s up?” he asked, gently shushing Willows protestations at the sudden lack of his cheek against her hair. Spike sighed disgustedly.

“Buffy’s got to go watch the rugrat,” he bit out gesturing to the slayer. Dusk nodded.

“Oh,” Dusk replied neutrally as he stroked Willow’s hair thoughtfully as she made happy noises. Meanwhile Buffy had returned to her phone call.

“Look, mom, as much as I’d LOVE to watch Dawn,” she hoped her mother hadn’t caught the not-so-subtle hint of sarcasm in her voice, “I have plans, can’t someone else do it? How about Xander? Dawn likes Xander,” Buffy pleaded. Dusk frowned, not sure why a sudden surge of something resembling envy raced through him like an electric current. He quickly gave himself a good hard mental shake. After all, enamors of a fourteen year-old girl certainly were not his concern.

“I’m sorry, Buffy. Xander says he’s out with Anya and –” she stopped and addressed Dawn “What? What is it? What do you want?” There was some more commotion as Dawn said something inaudible. “Dusk?” her mother repeated puzzled. Buffy’s eyes lit up.

“Dusk? She wants Dusk to stay with her? Hey, that’s perfect, he’s right here I can ask him,” placing her hand over the mouthpiece again, she turned…and stopped as both Willow and Dusk regarded her coolly. Willow spoke first.

“Did you just volunteer MY boyfriend for babysitter duty because otherwise YOU wouldn’t be able to spend time with YOUR boyfriend?” Willow asked quietly. Buffy’s manner became instantly sheepish.

“Oops. My bad, Will, if you and your man have plans tonight…?” Her manner was half-imploring, half-embarrassed.

Willow let her sweat for a few more moments before harrumphing, “Well, you’re just lucky that I have to go study for that theology exam, or else you’d be in big trouble, missy.” She stuck her lip out in a pretty comical attempt at being fierce.

Buffy smiled relieved then frowned, “Uh Wills? It’s Christmas break, remember? No school?” Willow’s jaw took on a stubborn tilt.

“Unlike some people I know, I believe in being prepared,” she retorted, miffed. Buffy just smiled, indulging the academic workaholic.

“Thanks Will,” she turned back to the phone when Dusk cleared his throat nosily. Buffy looked up again.

“What?” she demanded, and then she blushed again, “Oh sorry. Alec, would you mind watching Dawn tonight? Just for a few hours? Pretty please?”

Spike chimed in. “Yeah mate, pretty please?” Dusk shot him a withering look.

“THAT was pathetic,” he leveled a finger at Spike, “You owe me, man.” Spike nodded.

“I owe you, mate, whatever you want,” Spike spread his hands in a grand gesture of generosity. Dusk considered.

“Your copy of the Sid and Nancy vinyl,” Dusk replied. Spike’s face darkened.

“I don’t owe you THAT much,” Dusk grinned.

“All right then, how about a recording?”

Spike nodded, “Deal.”

“Upup! AND a bottle of scotch: the Macallan, the twenty-five,” Alec added.

“You’re evil mate.”

“You want to get laid?” Alec grinned. Buffy looked mortified as Spike growled

“Goh, mate! You’ve really got me by the stones!”

“That’s right and that will be the most attention your…stones will be seeing unless my demands are met. Savvy?”

Spike laughed, “God yes, thank you. Fine, you have a deal, now will you do it?” Spike implored.

Dusk sighed before turning to Buffy, “Tell your mother I’ll be over shortly,” Dusk said. Buffy grinned in glee and kissed Dusks’ cheek.

“You’re a good big brother.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Dusk fumed quietly before gently easing Willow off his lap and getting to his feet. Buffy turned her attention back to the phone.

“Mom? Dusk would be MORE than happy to watch Dawn for a few hours.”

There was a silence on the other line before her mother spoke up, sounding relieved and a little amazed.

“Well that idea seems fine by Dawn, so I guess I’ll be going. Tell Dusk to help himself to anything in the fridge. Oh, and it being Christmas break, tell him Dawn can stay up as late as she likes.”

“Right, Mom, I’ll tell him. Bye,” Buffy hit the END button and tossed the phone into the bag before lowering herself back down onto Spike’s lap. She turned to address Dusk; he cut her off with a finger.

“Don’t say it,” he warned her. Buffy grinned.

“I owe you one,” she said in a sing-songy voice. Dusk growled in annoyance.

“Spike, get her under control before I get a razor and shave her head bald!” Spike, chuckling, drew the slayer into his arms.

“Come on now, luv, let’s not tease the nice man who’s letting you off the hook so we can go enjoy ourselves tonight.” Buffy pouted.

“Oh all right,” Buffy smiled and kissed him as Dusk collected his coat. He turned and addressed Willow.

“Come on princess, I’ll walk you home,” he offered his arm, which she gladly took. Turning his head, Dusk called out to Giles.

“Dad, I’ll see you later on tonight,”

“Yes. Of course, have a good night, son. Goodbye, Willow,” Giles replied. Willow waved at him as he went back to sorting through a bin of talismans. Chuckling, Dusk turned to Buffy and Spike.

“Later brat,” he teased, mussing up Buffy’s hair again, ignoring her wail of protest. Spike held up his hand, which Dusk slapped. Spike looked up at Dusk.

“Thanks again, mate,” Spike said. Dusk snorted.

“Just make sure that recording is a good one, all right? No slapdash dubbing.” He turned to the woman on his arm.

“Shall we?”

Willow sighed and shrugged melodramatically, “If we must,” grinning she pecked him on the cheek. Smiling, he held the door open; she caressed his face with her hand as she walked by. He quickly followed, the bell above the door signaling their departure.