Author's Chapter Notes:
First scene is taken from the 1992 movie, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with some revamping. Second scene is taken from Season One’s ‘Prophesy Girl’ with revamping.
Chapter Two

“Bye!” Buffy called after her friends as they left her alone on the empty field.

Looking around to see if anyone is watching her, she shrugged and decided to do the routine she and the rest of her squad had just learned. She ran to the middle of the field and jumped, flying into an extraordinary series of gymnastic flips and cartwheels. She smiled as she rolled into one final flip. If only Cordellia Chase, Sunnydale cheerleader extraordinaire, could see her now. As soon as she landed on her feet, she saw a man standing before her. She screamed in surprise and stepped back.

“God, where the hell did you come from?” Buffy asked, gathering her nerves. “You scared me to death.”

“I’m sorry. That was impressive. The… tumbling.” the man’s voice was clipped and British.

It reminded her of Giles. She frowned as her mind went back to the years she had lived in Sunnydale. Thoughts and memories of a certain bleached someone…

She saw that the stranger was waiting for reply and pushed her past behind her mind once more. “What? Oh. I used to do gymnastics when I was a kid. Are you looking for someone?”

“I’m looking for you actually,” the man said.

She frowned once again. “Am I in trouble or something?”

He gave her a half smile. “Not at all. My name is Merrick. I was sent to find you some time ago. Just a few days ago. I should have found you much sooner but there were... complications. You should have been taught, prepared.”

A perfectly shaped eyebrow rose at his answer. “What are you talking about?”

“I've searched the entire world for you, Buffy.” Well, maybe not as dramatic, but hey, he needed to get a point across.

“Why?”

“To bring you... your birthright.”

Buffy tilted her head. “My birthright? You mean, like a trust fund?”

Merrick just looked at her as if she were talking in some foreign language.

Buffy continued on. “I had a trust fund my great-grandfather, or maybe it was an inheritance, 'cause he's dead, and I spent it on shoes.”

“You must come with me.” Merrick told her. “It's much too late already. You must come with me to the graveyard.”

She gave him an odd look. “Wait a minute. My birthright is in the graveyard?” Seeing that this guy was clearly insane, she turned around and headed off the field. “Later!” She shouted over her shoulder then, muttered to herself. “Not.”

“Wait!” Merrick called as he ran after her, soon catching up.

“You're one of those skanky old men that, like, attack girls and stuff. Forget you,” Buffy opted to see if he would leave her alone with a lie. “My, um, my boyfriend is gonna be here in about thirty seconds, and he's way testy.”

“You don't understand. You have been Chosen.” Merrick grabbed her arm and pulled it so she faced him.

“Chosen to go to the graveyard? Why don't you just take the first runner up, okay?” Buffy said exasperated.

“You must believe me.” He insisted. “You must come with me while there's still time.”

“Time to do what?” She asked, cautiously.

“To stop the killing. To stop the vampires.” He said seriously. “The Vampire Slayer.”

“Let me get this straight.” She looked over his state of dress. “You're like, this greasy bum, and I have to go to the graveyard with you 'cause I'm Chosen, a Vampire Slayer, and there's vampires.”

“Yes.” Merrick nodded.

Buffy narrowed her eyes. “Does Elvis talk to you? Tell you to do things? Do you see spots?”

Merrick sighed. “I don't have time for your prattling.”

Buffy turned on her heals to leave. “Just stay away from me, okay?”

He thought of a way to make her stop. “Did you ever dream that you were someone else?”

It was effective. She stopped and with a face of recognition, she turned back to him. “Everybody does.”

“In the past,” Merrick clarified. “A girl. Maybe... A Magyar peasant. An Indian princess. A slave.”

“I was a slave.” Buffy replied softly.

Merrick nodded. “In Virginia.”


“I don't know. It was...” Buffy thought for a moment. “There was a big gram or something. And there's one, I was a girl fighting in a temple.”

“China.” He told her.

Buffy’s eyes went wide. “Oh, my God. I never told anybody about this. I remember the one about the peasant, too. God, there's a bunch. Is this, like channeling or something?”

Merrick just rolled his eyes.

Buffy just continued on. “I had a dream once where I was... There was like, knights in it, and I worked in this bar. And I... was fighting. I'm always fighting. And there's a guy... He's not always there, but he's horrible, all pale, and he's always... trying to kill me.”

“Lothos.” Merrick said.

“How do you know all of this?” Buffy wondered.

“I have to show you.” Merrick replied.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A few days earlier in The Master’s lair…

Spike’s cousin, Angel Giles, and Xander stopped when they came across Spike’s prone form face down on the ground in a pool of water.

Angel ran to Spike and pulled him up. “He’s dead!”

Xander was frozen in place, looking down at them. He swallowed hard. “No. He’s not dead.”

There was no way that his new best friend was dead. He refused to believe it.

“He's not breathing.” Angel said, tears in his eyes.

Xander then looked hopeful. “But if he drowned, uh, there's a shot! CPR!”

“You have to do it.” Angel told him. “I don’t know how to.”

Xander rushed to Spike’s side and put his mouth on the peroxide teen’s, blowing into Spike’s lunges. He let go of his best friend and began to pump Spike’s chest.”

“C'mon. C'mon!” Xander began to shout.

“Come on, breathe dammit!” Angel pleaded.

“C'mon! I swear, Spike, if you live, I will never make fun of your stupid hair ever again!” Xander wept.

After another moment Xander stopped pumping and sat back in the dirt. Angel hung his head low in defeat. A second later, Angel and Xander looked up when Spike opened his eyes and drew in a breath. He then laid still and looked around for a moment.

“Spike!” Xander cried out with happiness.

Spike turned his head to the side and coughed out a bunch of water. Xander and Angel look at each other and smiled. Xander helped Spike up to a sitting position.

Spike looked between his cousin and best friend, “Xander? Angel?”

Angel just smiled. “Welcome back, cousin.”

“Remind me to never die again,” Spike said hoarsely and then stood up. “Now, I think it’s time for me to kick The Master’s ass. Show him not to mess with a Slayer.”