Chapter 3


Spike threw on his duster and walked out into the night. He knew Buffy would be out by now, but she hadn’t stopped by earlier to see if he wanted to patrol with her. Now he was certain Bit was telling the truth and Buffy was involved in the plan. She was avoiding him.

Sensing she was nearby, he extended his senses, hearing a scuffle in the distance. He started off in the direction of the noise slowly until he heard Buffy’s cry of duress. He took off running and soon came up to the clearing where Buffy was facing a group of five fledglings.

“That wasn’t nice, you don’t attack from behind. If you were anymore organized I swear you guys were unionizing,” Buffy quipped nervously, after flipping back onto her feet. She sensed Spike nearby and shot a glance in his direction, relieved at his presence.

“Fancy some help, Slayer?” Spike asked as he approached, the fledgling vamps distracted by another vampire’s presence. They could sense power around him, but couldn’t understand why he was talking amicably with the Slayer. Buffy made use of the situation to ready herself for the next attack and sneak closer to Spike so he could watch her back.

“Leave us alone, grandpa,” one of the cockier vamps sneered at Spike as he approached.

“Grandpa?” Spike raised a questioning brow at the group. Seeing that Buffy was up on her feet and ready to strike, Spike smiled dangerously.

“Hasn’t anyone ever told you to respect your elders, boy?” he growled, channeling Angelus, as he staked the disrespectful young fledge. The fight started up again with vigor, Buffy immediately launching into action. She faced off against two of the fledglings, allowing Spike to take the remaining ones.

Buffy and Spike danced through the intricate fight, moving as if synchronized through motion. Buffy dusted her first vamp with a happy laugh and started on her second. Spike’s second slay quickly followed leaving only two vamps standing.

“Well that turned out to be easier than I thought,” Buffy sent Spike the go ahead look and they both plunged their stakes into their respective vampires.

“That’ll show ‘em I’m no grandpa,” Spike grumbled, glaring at Buffy when she giggled at him. “Don’t you laugh, missy. Vamps get better with age and I just saved your delectable arse.”

“I had it all under control. I was totally in-control-girl,” she teased, knowing she would have been in a bit of trouble if Spike hadn’t shown up when he did.

“You keep telling yourself that, Slayer,” Spike fell into easy step with Buffy as they continued on her rounds. He was itching to ask her what Dawn and her had planned, but didn’t want to reveal that he knew anything about it.

“So why didn’t you come get me, pet? I was hopin’ this was our new thing,” Spike asked after they finished up the Restfield patrol.

“Our thing?” Buffy raised a brow, glancing in his direction.

If Spike could have, he would have been blushing. “Well, you know, the Big Bad always lookin’ for a spot of violence. Made me feel left out…” he trailed off, a small pout gracing his lips.

“I’m sorry; did I hurt your widdle feelings?” Buffy teased, elbowing him lightly in the side. She was surprised that her deciding not to patrol with him this evening had hurt him, but she supposed it really had become their thing as of late.

“Nah, Slayer. Tough as nails I am. The Big Bad an’ all that rot,” Spike smiled over at her, mirth twinkling in his eyes. Buffy laughed genuinely at his antics, feeling at ease in his company. Since the whole reveal during their musical adventure, she’d been avoiding the others as much as possible. Spike was the only one who seemed to understand that she didn’t want to constantly think about the bad things, she had to find new things to enjoy in her third life so she could move forward.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


The couple patrolled two more cemeteries, only running into a couple more newly risen vamps that didn’t put up much of a fight. Spike was content to watch as Buffy fought each of them, admiring each fluid motion and well aimed kick. She was true poetry in motion. As they neared the end of the next cemetery, they finally ran into some real action: a large Fyarl demon.

As the two super powered blondes attacked the brutish demon, they picked up their intricate dance. When Spike went high, Buffy aimed low; they used each other’s strengths and weaknesses flawlessly. When Spike was thrown into a nearby tombstone, Buffy quickly attacked from behind, distracting the Fyarl and allowing Spike to get back on his feet. Buffy swiftly swept the demon’s feet from under him tossing Spike the silver dagger and he stabbed it through the heart in one fluid motion.

When the Fyarl demon was dead, Spike and Buffy shared identical happy grins. Buffy’s chest was heaving from the exertion of the fight, a fact that Spike quickly noticed. Her eyes were glowing with life, something he rarely saw since her return from the dead.

“That was fun!” Buffy said to Spike, not noticing his close scrutiny of her.

Her body still pumped adrenaline and she was anxious to keep fighting. She knew she had to get up too early for words tomorrow, but she couldn’t resist the call of her blood.

“Wanna spar?” Buffy’s question almost made his jaw drop. She had never offered to spar with him it was too sweet of an opportunity to resist.

“You’re on, Slayer. Let’s see what you’ve got,” he tucked his tongue behind his teeth and stepped easily into fighting stance. He figured the chip wouldn’t fire if there was no intent to harm her.

“Be prepared to loose, vampire!” the Slayer taunted playfully before leading with a right hook to Spike’s head.

Ducking easily, Spike advanced on Buffy punching, kicking, and blocking her attacks. They danced around each other, evenly matched in every way. When one started gaining ground, the other got a second wind and turned the tables. When Buffy snagged her foot on a root, she grabbed onto Spike’s duster lapels in an attempt to stay upright; however, the momentum brought them both over, Spike landing, rolling and finally coming to a stop on top of Buffy.

Due to their kiss outside the Bronze after the big song reveal, and the make-out session they had at the club after Willow’s botched forgetting spell, Buffy couldn’t help but lick her lips at the feel of Spike’s hard body over hers. Spike’s eyes flicked down to the movement around her lips, his eyes darkening with desire. Buffy lifted her head slightly in invitation and Spike jumped at the chance. Cool lips met hers and she sighed at the welcomed sensation.

As her lips parted, Spike slipped his tongue in to tangle with hers in another age-old dance. Buffy felt her body respond to his touch and ran her hands under his duster and over the hard planes of his chest and back. Her movements elicited a low growl from the vampire which made her own body hum in shared pleasure.

When Buffy had to break their kiss to suck in a deep breath, Spike continued placing soft, cool kisses along the smooth column of her throat.

A girl could get used to this, Buffy though, still dazed from his passionate kisses. When Spike managed to slip his hands under her shirt, it woke her abruptly from her musings. She started to struggle under him.

“Spike, get off me,” Buffy moaned when his kisses massaged the sensitive spot behind her ear.

“Sorry, luv,” Spike sighed deeply and looked into her eyes, attempting to understand the signals she was sending him. Her body clearly wanted one thing but her mind, as usual, struggled against it. Rather than fighting her and risking another broken nose, he reined in his temper and disappointment, and instead helped her stand, putting distance between them.

“I-I have to go,” Buffy stammered self-consciously, not used to Spike’s lack of argument.

“Sure, Slayer,” Spike said, not masking the disappointment in his voice.

“I have to get up early,” Buffy informed him, not sure why she was explaining anything at all to him.

“Right. You want me to sweep the last cemetery?” Spike asked, searching his pockets for his packet of smokes. His curiosity was back full force and he was eagerly anticipating Dawn’s surprise. As he lit a cigarette, Spike thought it was almost enough to quell his disappointment over Buffy’s freak out. Almost.

“Sure, thanks,” Buffy said, taking a step closer to him. When she placed a soft kiss on his cheek before abruptly turning around and running off in the direction of home, Spike smiled. Only a few more hours and he’d know what the nibblet had planned, and Buffy was in on it to boot. Whistling to himself, he walked off in the opposite direction, anticipating the coming dawn for the first time in 120 years.