Chapter 4

“So, that’s it then? You guys are just giving me the boot?”

Spike knew the conversation wouldn’t go well, but it was time for Faith to know the truth. “We can continue being your friends, but nothing more than that. I’m in love with Buffy. We didn’t plan on that, it just happened.”

Faith wasn’t convinced. “What? Is this because you knocked her up?”

Spike was trying to hang to what little patience he had left. “This has been a long time coming. Even if Buffy didn’t get pregnant, I still would have ended things with you. My heart was just never in it. You could have any man you wanted, Faith. You definitely don’t need me.”

“Why is that? Because I’m such a slut?”

He rolled his eyes. “I didn’t say that.”

Faith crossed her arms over her chest. “You didn’t have to, but you’re right. I could get anyone that I wanted. I don’t need either of you.” She walked away, stopping at the sound of Buffy’s voice.

“I’m really sorry, Faith. We never meant for things to get so carried away.”

The brunette faced off with the blonde, finally saying what she had wanted to for a while. “I’m not really all that surprised. You’ve always gotten everything, B. Ever since we were younger, you were the one that got all of the attention. I really find this fucking hilarious since you didn’t even want him in the first place. If it wasn’t for me, you two probably wouldn’t even be together right now. We’re done here.”

Spike watched Faith walk away that time, going into her room and slamming the door behind her. He knew that Buffy wanted to follow, but took her hand to assure her that it wouldn’t be the best idea at the moment. She looked so sad that Spike couldn’t resist wrapping his arms around her, holding her close to his chest and running his fingers through her hair. He hoped that Faith would come around. The last thing Spike wanted was for Buffy to lose her best friend.


* * * * *


“I don’t know what to do. She’s hardly said anything to me all week. I just wish things could go back to the way they were.”

Spike frowned. “You mean before I moved in?”

Buffy shook her head. “I didn’t mean that. You know I don’t regret you being here, Spike. I just wish everything wasn’t so complicated between us. I heard her on the phone earlier today. I don’t know who she was talking to, but she mentioned something about leaving. I really don’t want her to move out, but I don’t even know what to say to her anymore.”

Spike pressed a kiss to her forehead. “She could have been talking about something else, love. I know things are complicated now, but I don’t believe they always will be. Faith’s a stubborn bint, but I’m sure she’ll come around. She loves you too much to let something like this ruin over a decade of friendship.”

Buffy nodded, even though a part of her really didn’t believe that.


* * * * *


“Where’s B?”

Spike looked up to see Faith standing before him, wearing nothing but some skimpy lingerie. “She had a late class, you know that.”

Faith nodded. “Right, it must have slipped my mind.” She sat down next to him on the couch. “What are you watching?”

He was starting to feel uncomfortable by her close proximity. “Just some old movie. Didn’t you have plans tonight?”

She shrugged. “I decided to stay in.”

“Buffy should be back soon.”

Faith grinned, moving closer to him. “Do I make you nervous, Spike? I mean, you’ve certainly seen me in less than this before.”

Spike glared at her. “What are you playing at? You know that’s not going to happen with us again. I’m with Buffy now.”

Faith rolled her eyes. “God, you really need to loosen up. It’s not like she’ll ever have to know.” She placed her hand over his crotch, lightly squeezing him.

He took in a breath, grabbing her hand and throwing it off of his body. “That’s not happening.”

“I’m just trying to help you out here. Buffy is too sweet for a guy like you, Spike. Would she let you fuck her in the ass? I would as much as you wanted. It’s always been a turn on for me, and I can tell that’s exactly the type of guy you are. You can pretend to be this family man all you want, but I know where you really live. I’ve tasted it. Sooner or later, you’re going to realize that this isn’t the life for you.”

Buffy chose that moment to walk in the door, her eyes widening at the sight of them so close together on the couch.

Faith gave her a smile. “Hey, B, how was class?”

She walked further into the apartment. “Same as always, what’s been going on here?”

Spike put some distance between him and Faith. “We were just watching a movie.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “And she had to be half naked for that?”

Faith shrugged. “I just wanted to get comfortable. It’s really hot in here.” She reached behind Spike to pinch his ass, which had him jumping off of the couch.

“I need a drink,” he said, making his way into the kitchen.

Buffy gave the brunette a suspicious glance, wondering what she could have done to make him react that way.

Faith stood up. “I think I’m gonna turn in now. See you guys in the morning.”

Buffy watched as Faith walked over to her room, a confused expression on her face. She turned it on Spike when he left the kitchen, a beer bottle clutched in his hand. “Okay, what’s going on? You two looked pretty cozy.”

He shook his head. “It wasn’t like that, we were just talking. She started to get a little too hands on, but I put a stop to it.”

Buffy was relieved to hear that, then grew angry. “I can’t believe her. She’s still trying to get you back? I thought she would have given up by now. For crying out loud, I’m pregnant with your child. I guess that doesn’t even mean anything to her. We used to be really close, but I don’t even know who she is anymore. She has a lot of nerve to try and seduce you like that.”

Spike placed a calming hand on her shoulder, knowing that it was time to say what had been on his mind. “Buffy, I think it would be best if Faith moved out.”