Chapter 5

“What? Do you think that’s really necessary? I’ll just talk to her, I’m sure it doesn’t need to result in her moving out.”

Spike shook his head. “I doubt talking to her will make much of a difference. Think about it, Buffy. We’re together now, and we have a child on the way. Faith’s not used to rejection, she’ll never accept the fact that I chose you over her. I think this is really the best thing for all of us, and you heard her. She won’t want to live in an apartment with a baby.”

Buffy thought it over, nodding after a moment. “I guess you’re right. I just feel like I would be giving up my best friend, she’ll see it as a betrayal.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her. “The last thing I want is to come between you two. I know that Faith was here first, but you and the little one are my family now. You’re all that matters to me. It’ll take time, but I’m sure Faith will understand. I just can’t be around her anymore if she’s going to keep coming on to me.”

“I’ll talk to her about that, and about the possibility of her moving out. I just hope she won’t be too mad.”

Spike smiled, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. “It’ll be okay, baby. I know it will.”

Buffy really wished that she could believe him.


* * * * *


“Faith, don’t be like this.”

She stopped to glare at her. “How exactly am I being? I think I have a right to be a little pissed off. I can’t believe you’re choosing to live with some guy over your best friend of ten years. It’s nice to know where your loyalties lie.”

Buffy shook her head. “He’s not just some guy. Spike’s my boyfriend now. We love each other, and we’re having a baby. Why can’t you understand that?”

Faith scoffed. “Oh, I understand just fine. I just hope you wouldn’t end up regretting it.”

Buffy followed her into the living room. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“You can’t be that dense, B. Do you really think you can keep a guy like Spike satisfied for long? He was with both of us, incase you forgot that little detail. What’s going to stop him from doing the same thing again?”

Buffy placed her hands over her stomach. “We’re a family now; he wouldn’t do anything to hurt me.”

Faith laughed. “Is that what he told you? He’s going to realize that being the family man isn’t the life he wants. He’s a horny bastard; one person will never be enough for him. I hope you won’t realize that too late.”

Buffy had enough. “I’m not listening to this anymore. You don’t even know what you’re talking about, Faith. I tried to be nice, but I’m sick of your attitude. You’re just jealous because he didn’t choose you, so you have to tell me all this shit to make yourself feel better. I’m starting to wonder if we were ever really friends. A real friend would be supporting me right now, not trying to tear me down. I don’t even know why you care. It’s not like you ever loved Spike. He was just sex to you, so why don’t you find someone else? It shouldn’t be very hard to find another fuck buddy. You’re usually really good at it.”

Faith moved closer to Buffy, a slow smirk forming on her face. “I’m impressed, B. That was a very nice speech. I didn’t know you had it in you, but maybe you’re right. There are much better guys out there. I hope you two are very happy together,” with that said, she grabbed her jacket and left the apartment.

Buffy let out the breath she had been holding, hoping that she was finally able to get through to Faith.


* * * * *


Two weeks went by and Faith decided that she would be moving out, surprisingly not putting up much of an argument about it.

Buffy came home from night class and threw her bag to the floor, wanting to lie down so badly. She stopped at the sight of Faith’s door that was slightly open, the sounds of moaning and heavy breathing coming from inside. Buffy didn’t see Spike anywhere, knowing that he wasn’t likely to have gone out. She stepped closer to the door, her heart pounding and tears stinging her eyes at the thought of him being in there with her. Buffy trusted him, but a part of her was still worried that maybe Faith was right and she wasn’t enough. Before she had a chance to push Faith’s door open, the door to the bathroom opened instead and Spike came out, a towel clinging to his body. Buffy sighed in relief when she saw him. “Thank God,” she said, making her way over to him and kissing him on the lips, noticing the confused look on his face.

“It’s nice to see you, too. You okay, love?”

She nodded. “I am now.”

Spike was about to answer, but a loud scream of pleasure coming from Faith’s room cut off what he was going to say. He turned back to Buffy. “Wait, did you think I was in there?”

Buffy took on a guilty expression, which he was able to notice.

“How could you even think that? I told you I was done with her, Buffy. Don’t you believe me?” he wondered.

“I’m sorry, Spike. I do believe you, but I still can’t help the insecurities I have.”

Spike nodded, supposing that he really couldn’t argue with her about that. “You have nothing to worry about, pet. I love you; this is completely new for me. I know you’re worried because I was with Faith, but that was before I realized how I really felt for you. Now that I know how much I love you and that you’re having my child, there’s no way I would ever consider being with anyone else. Least of all Faith, I’ll never go down that road again. You’re it for me now, sweetheart. You believe that, don’t you?”

Buffy felt even more foolish for how she reacted. “I do, I’m really sorry.”

He pressed a quick kiss to her lips. “It’s forgotten, we just have to trust each other. And I need to put some clothes on before she comes out of her room. Do you have any idea who might be in there?”

Buffy shook her head. “No, but I’m almost afraid to see who it is. At least she finally seems to be over you.”

Spike agreed, touching his lips to hers one more time and heading back into the bathroom.

The door to Faith’s room opened a few seconds later.

Buffy’s eyes widened when she saw the man that came out after her friend.

“Hey, B, I didn’t know you were back yet. This is Graham; we met at the Bronze a couple of nights ago.”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, we’ve kinda met before. He’s the TA in my Psychology class.”

He gave her a smile. “It’s nice to see you again, Buffy.”

“Likewise,” she said, smiling in return. He was the last person she ever would have expected Faith to choose.

Faith walked Graham to the door, giving him one more passionate kiss before he left.

Buffy waited for the front door to close before she spoke up. “So, you and Graham? Is this serious?”

Faith shrugged. “It could be. He’s decent and actually treats me with respect, unlike some of the other losers I’ve been involved with. Not my usual type, but that could be a good thing.”

Buffy had to agree. “Well, I’m happy for you.”

Faith headed over to her room, turning back to Buffy one more time. “By the way, I’ve decided to move in with him. He has a huge apartment and no one to share it with, since his last roommate moved away.”

“Wow, don’t you think it’s a bit soon to be moving in with a guy you hardly know?”

Faith shook her head. “It works for me, this way I can be out of here sooner. Give you guys all the space you need, it’s for the best.”

Buffy grabbed Faith’s arm before she could walk away. “Are we okay, though? I really don’t want to lose your friendship, Faith. I want you to be a part of my baby’s life. She could use a cool, fun aunt. Someone she can always run to whenever she’s mad at us.”

Faith raised her eyebrows. “She?”

“I’m just taking a guess, but I have a feeling it might be a girl.”

Faith gave Buffy a hug, patting her on the back. “We’re five by five, B. You and me, we’re always gonna stick together. I think Spike made the right choice. I know I’ve been a total bitch about this whole thing, but I really do hope everything works out for you guys. You deserve some happiness. Let’s face it, this baby is gonna be pretty damn lucky. And with both of your genes, she’ll be the hottest kid ever.”

Buffy laughed through the tears that were now streaming down her face, which she blamed the hormones for. “I love you, Faith.”

“Love you, too, but enough with this mushy stuff. I’m gonna get some shut eye, have a lot more packing to do tomorrow.”

Buffy nodded and let her go this time, sighing when she felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her waist. She gazed into Spike’s gorgeous, blue eyes. She kissed him sweetly on the mouth, assuring him without words that everything was okay. Buffy then grabbed his hand and pulled him into her bedroom, closing the door behind them.