Chapter 6

“I’m really sorry, love. I wish there was something I could do.”

Buffy sighed into the phone. “It’s okay, we’ll just see you in a couple of days,” she said, trying to keep the tears out of her voice.

Spike could tell that she was just putting on a brave face, even though he couldn’t see it. “I love you, baby.”

She smiled sadly. “I love you, too.” Buffy couldn’t keep the tears from falling when she hung up the phone, but quickly wiped them away. It was Christmas Eve and that was no time to feel sad. Spike left on a business trip about a week ago, and just now realized that he wouldn’t make it home for Christmas. She was upset, but nothing could be done about it. Buffy browsed through their wedding album one more time. It would be their first Christmas as a married couple, and Buffy wished that Spike was there to share it with her. Oh well, there was always next year.

“Hey, come back here!”

Buffy glanced up to see a four-year-old terror run into her room, followed by an older woman that didn’t look pleased. “What’s going on?” She gazed at the little girl, trying not to laugh at the sight of her daughter with lipstick all over her face.

Faith glared at Buffy. “She got into my make-up bag again.”

The blonde wiped the smile off of her face, looking sternly at the child. “We talked about this, Cassie. You can wear that when you’re older, all you’re gonna do is piss Aunty Faith off.” She grabbed a nearby tissue and started wiping her daughter’s mouth.

“I wanted to play dress up.”

Buffy smiled, seeming to notice for the first time the ballerina dress that she was wearing.

Faith took the girl’s hand and led her out of the room. “Come on, kid. Let’s go watch a nice, quiet movie.”

Buffy watched them go and had to smile again. Faith may seem like she was really annoyed, but Buffy knew it was just an act. Her friend had a hard time after the break up with Graham. She was starting to think that love wasn’t for her, until Buffy introduced her to Robin Wood, the principal at the high school where she worked as a Counselor. They had been together for about two years now, and Buffy couldn’t be happier for them, knowing that Faith really wanted kids. She could tell just by seeing the brunette with hers. A baby crying ripped her out of her reverie. She headed into the nursery, to see that her son was awake and crying for his mother. Buffy went to the baby and gently picked him up, cradling him against her shoulder and rocking him back and forth. He started to calm down and relax against her. “It’s okay, baby. I know you miss Daddy, but he’ll be home soon.” She pulled away to look at his tear stained face. “At least you won’t remember this Christmas. You wanna go downstairs and see what your sister and Aunty Faith are up to?” She took his silence as a yes and made her way downstairs, only to see Faith and Cassie sitting together on the couch as they were engrossed in whatever Christmas movie was on. Buffy sat down beside them, bouncing little William on her knee, which caused him to giggle.

“Mommy, when’s Daddy coming home?”

Buffy was taken aback by the question, staring at her daughter. “He probably won’t be home for a few more days, sweetie.” The sad expression that took over the child’s features was enough to make Buffy’s heart ache.

“Could Santa bring him home? Jasmine said that Santa gave her a mommy for Christmas. Couldn’t he make Daddy come home?”

Buffy smiled fondly at her daughter’s innocence, running her fingers through her brown curls. “I don’t think it works like that, honey. Daddy wasn’t able to get a flight, but I know he would be here if he could. He loves watching you open your presents on Christmas morning. Hey, we’ll have a second Christmas when he gets here. Wouldn’t that be fun?”

Cassie shrugged, rubbing her tired eyes.

Faith decided that was her cue. “All right, munchkin. It’s time for all little girls and boys to get to bed. Santa won’t come if you’re still awake.”

The child’s eyes widened as she bounded off of the couch and ran upstairs.

Faith gave a smile. “It works every time.”

Buffy smiled in return. “I really do appreciate you being here right now, Faith.”

She waved her hand in the air. “Think nothing of it. I won’t be seeing Robin until tomorrow night, then we have our own festivities. If you get my meaning.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “It’s kinda hard not to. I guess we better turn in, looks like this little guy is about ready to drop again. I’ve never known of a baby that sleeps as much as he does.”

“Enjoy it while you can, B. You’ll be missing it when he hits the teenage years.”

Buffy couldn’t even think about that, wishing her children could stay babies forever. “I’ll keep that in mind, goodnight.”

Faith watched her leave and leaned back against the couch, hating the pain she saw on her friend’s face. “I really hope you get here in time, Spike.”


* * * * *


Buffy was awoken by a very excited child jumping on her bed.

“Mommy, get up! It’s Christmas! Look at all the presents Santa brought!” Cassie ran out of the room, not looking to see if her mother was following her.

Buffy rubbed her eyes, noticing that it was only seven in the morning.

Faith walked by her doorway, her hair all mussed and a cup of coffee in her hand.

Buffy smiled. “You’re really not a morning person, are you?”

Faith gave her a look. “No one should be up at this time, it’s just not right. That kid of yours is the fucking energizer bunny. I’ll be happy when I can sleep in tomorrow.”

Buffy agreed and got out of bed, putting her robe on and peeking in the nursery to see that William was still asleep. Her baby could sleep through anything. She headed downstairs to see that Cassie was shaking some of her presents, but hadn’t opened any of them yet.

“Can I start now, Mommy?”

Buffy loved that no matter how excited her daughter was, she would always wait for Buffy to open her presents. “Yeah, go ahead.”

A smile lit up Cassie’s face as she dug in, pleased with all of her gifts.

Buffy noticed a frown that the little girl tried to hide, but had a feeling it had something to do with her not getting a puppy, which was the one thing that she wanted. Buffy just didn’t think she was ready, but maybe next year.

Cassie started to play with her new toys, when the doorbell suddenly rang.

Buffy was confused about who it could be, getting up to answer it and not expecting the person that was standing there. She raised her eyebrows. “I didn’t know that I ordered a Santa.”

Faith came around the corner to see the man in the Santa Claus costume, trying to hide the smile on her face.

“Who are you?” Buffy wondered, taken by surprise when Santa wrapped his arms around her and planted a firm kiss on her mouth.

Cassie came to see what was going on, her eyes widening. “I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus!”

Faith placed her hand over the child’s eyes.

Buffy pulled away to take a deep breath, not mistaking the twinkle in Santa’s blue eyes. “Spike?” She gasped when he removed the beard and hat, gracing her with a smile.

“Happy Christmas, sweetheart.”

Buffy felt tears form in her eyes, giving him a hug. “I didn’t think you would make it,” she said, pulling away once again. “How did you get here?”

He shrugged and moved into the house, closing the door behind him. “I sort of lied on the phone, I wasn’t stuck at the airport. I just wanted you to think that, so I could surprise you. Did it work?”

Buffy slapped his chest lightly. “I would say that it did.”

“Daddy!” Cassie yelled, attacking him in a hug.

Spike lifted the girl into his arms, kissing the top of her head. “I missed you, too, bit. Have you been good for your mum?”

She nodded eagerly. “Why are you dressed like Santa? Did he bring you home? That’s what I wished for last night.”

Spike carried her into the living room, sitting on the couch and placing her down on his lap. “Saint Nick and I go back a long time; he heard your prayers and wanted to make sure that I was here with you on Christmas morning. He was nice enough to loan me the outfit.”

Cassie beamed at him. “I knew Santa was real. Jackie was saying at school how he was just pretend. I don’t like her,” she commented, scrunching up her nose.

He chuckled. “I see you already got to your presents, but there’s one you forgot about.”

Buffy was confused when Spike went outside, her eyes widening when he came back in, a brown puppy clutched in his arms.

Cassie squealed when she saw the animal, taking the creature from his arms and cradling it in hers. “I love her, Daddy! I’m gonna name her Cinderella!” She hugged his legs, then went to go play with her new puppy.

Spike turned to his wife. “I couldn’t resist, love.”

She nodded and wrapped her arms around him. “She’s happy, that’s all that matters. You really did make this a great Christmas, Spike. I’m so glad you’re here.”

He kissed her softly on the lips. “There’s nowhere else I would want to be.”

Faith could tell that things were about to get very mushy, so she joined Cassie in the living room to leave them to their privacy.

Buffy looked him up and down. “So, do you get to keep the costume?”

Spike grinned. “Only for today, I have to give it back tomorrow.”

Buffy nodded, a matching grin on her face. “Well, I guess we better make the best of it tonight.”

“Does my girl have a secret Santa fetish?”

She moved closer to him. “Only if you’re the Santa.”

He watched her walk away, lust clouding his features. Spike would make a call and see if he could keep the outfit a bit longer. He had a feeling it would really come in handy.

The End


I hope that was a good enough ending, mushiness and all. I did say this was short, and there wasn’t supposed to be much to it. Thanks to those that read and reviewed. Happy holidays=)