Chapter 2

Spike rolled his eyes when he entered his house later that day, throwing his backpack to the floor. The moans that could be heard coming from his father’s room were enough to wake the bloody dead. He headed into the kitchen to make something to eat, just as a young brunette walked in.

Her hair was all tousled and her shirt on backwards, giving him a small smile and wave.

Spike waved back, rolling his eyes yet again.

Ethan Rayne followed her into the kitchen, placing a hard kiss on her mouth. “Thanks for the good time, love. We’ll be sure to do this again.”

She giggled and after giving him one more kiss, left the house.

Spike focused back on his sandwich. “So, how old is this one?”

Ethan glared at his son. “Twenty-five, not that it’s any business of yours.”

Spike laughed humorlessly. “Right, what was I thinking? I only have to hear you going at it with a different woman half your age almost every bloody day, but no, it’s none of my business.” He flinched when Ethan slammed his fist onto the counter, knowing that it wasn’t smart to piss the old man off, but he couldn’t seem to care.

“You better not be talking back to me, boy. I don’t get on your case about the little sluts that you bring here, so you better show some bloody respect.”

Spike glanced down. “Sorry,” he mumbled.

“I’m done wasting my time with you. I have another lady friend showing up in a couple of hours, you better stay in your room. Do some homework or whatever you do; I don’t care as long as I don’t have to see you for the rest of the night,” Ethan explained, then headed out of the kitchen.

Spike glared at his father’s back, not watching what he was doing and nicking his finger on the knife in his hand. “Fuck,” he swore, sucking on the tiny wound. Spike sometimes hated the way he acted, but with a father like his, it was hard to do anything else. Seeing his father go through women was practically how he was raised, he didn’t really know anything else. He knew the way he treated the girls at school was wrong, but Spike wouldn’t even know what was right anymore. He didn’t know what it was like to be in love, or in a long-lasting relationship. Even though he was known as a ladies man, Spike still wished to find that one day.


* * * * *


Buffy laughed at the scene in her living room. Her mother and step-father were dancing to some oldies music, thinking they were taking a break from all of the unpacking.

Joyce smiled when she saw her standing there. “Hey, sweetie, how was your first day?”

She shrugged. “It was okay.”

Rupert Giles could see the glum expression on his step-daughter’s face and decided to change that. He grabbed Buffy and started to twirl her around the room, causing the young girl to giggle when he dipped her.

“Giles, I’m starting to get dizzy.”

He immediately stopped and raised her chin, so she was looking right at him. “How was your day, really?”

She smiled. “It was good. I like it here.”

Joyce was pleased to hear that. “Have you met any new friends yet?”

Buffy frowned and shook her head. “I’ve talked to a few kids that seem nice, but I don’t know about making any friends.”

Joyce ran her fingers through Buffy’s long hair, concern written on her features. “Sweetie, everything’s going to be okay. You can make friends here; I wouldn’t want you to be alone.”

Buffy nodded. “I’ll be fine; I should probably get started on my homework now.”

They watched sadly as she made her way up the stairs.

Giles placed an arm around his wife. “She’ll be all right, dear. She’s a very strong girl.”

Joyce silently agreed.

No more words needed to be said after that.


* * * * *


Spike prowled over to his target, putting his hand on the locker next to hers and giving her a grin.

“Fancy meeting you again, pet. How’s the new school treating you?”

Buffy gave him a look, getting the remaining books that she would need out of her locker. “It’s treating me just fine. Was there something you wanted?”

His grin became even bigger. “You could say that. You see, I’ve lived in this town for quite some time now. It’s usually my job to show the new kids around. How about I invite you to the Bronze tonight? It’s our local club, the only decent place to hang out around here. What do you say?”

She closed her locker door. “Sorry, I’m busy.”

He was shocked and followed after her. “How can you be busy already? You just moved here.”

Buffy turned to him one more time. “I have to wash my hair.”

Spike let her go after that, not believing that he just got the ‘I have to wash my hair’ excuse. “What the bloody hell is going on?”


* * * * *


“So, have you had any luck with the new girl?”

Spike shook his head. “Not yet, but I think she’s just playing hard to get.”

Xander rolled his eyes. “Or maybe she’s just not interested, ever think of that?”

Spike laughed. “I really doubt it.”

Xander decided that it was about time he told Spike exactly what he thought of the situation, no matter the consequences. “Are you sure this is a good idea? The girl is new here, she doesn’t know anyone and you trying to get into her pants is not right. I have her in my English class. She seems really nice; I wouldn’t want to see her get hurt.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “And what makes you think she would?”

Xander snatched up his belongings, giving his friend one more look. “Because it’s what you do,” he said, then made his way out of the cafeteria.

Spike stared after him, wondering where that came from. A part of him knew that his friend was right, but another part really wanted to win that bet. Spike wasn’t about to let Parker Abrams make a fool out of him. Besides, if the girl really had no interest in him, then she wasn’t likely to get hurt. He tried to convince himself of that, but the more Spike thought of his actions; the more he realized that he was turning into his father. And that was something he never wanted to happen.