Author's Chapter Notes:
Thx for the lovely reviews!
No particula warnings for this chapter - except some strong language and a good portion of angst. So be warned.
The lyrics at the end is from 'Savin' Me' by NIckelback.
8. Going Through The Motions






London June 2008



He’s dead. Dead. DEAD…

Buffy’s fist hit its target with lethal accuracy and she grinned grimly as the vampire stumbled back with his hand against the bleeding nose.
The demon wiped at the blood and glared at her with obvious malice.

“Oh, come on,” sighed Buffy and placed her feet broadly on the grass while she rested her hands against the jeans clad hips. “Can’t take a good hit or what?”

The vampire growled and launched itself against the slayer; teeth bared for the kill.
Except it never got that far. Buffy’s hand shot out and she had the demon by its throat.
It stared at her in defiant – for a second reminding her about Spike.
That fact alone was enough for her to lose focus for just a second – but that was all that her opponent needed, to break free and draw back to a safe distance.

“You’re going to die, slayer!” it hissed and whipped out a vicious looking knife.

“Like I’ve never heard that before!” Buffy rolled her eyes.

The vampire attacked once again and Buffy glided out of reach, easily avoiding the edge of the knife.
She shook away a strand of hair and watched in amusement as the demon stumbled and fell flat on its butt.

“Oh, poor little vampire,” she teased and puffed out her chest. “Did mommy play a mean game with ya?”

The vampire’s eyes instantly fell on Buffy’s chest and when she looked down she could see that a large number of button had opened up during their fight; exposing quite a bit of her skin – and some of her chest.

Buffy looked up again as the vampire struggled to his feet. The demon appeared mesmerized by the open shirt; gazing at her with its mouth wide opened.

Look at it; lusting after you. Given the chance it would have you on your back on the ground, thrusting his throbbing cock into you as he sink his teeth into your flesh; draining you as he fucks you like an animal. Admit it. You’re turned on about this. After all; it would be convenient. Just like he was.

Shut up. Shut. Up. SHUT UP…!

After all; the best thing rather than killing a slayer is to…

Shut the fuck up! Shutupshutupshutup!!

What’s the matter, pet? Not up for the truth? Always knew you were a scared little girl underneath all that attitude. Weak little girl playing the big bad slayer. What a total scam.

Stop it! Stop. It!

How you could have been the death of him is a mystery. But then again, you literally stabbed him in the back.

No…

You handed him the amulet with a smile on your face as you pictured him dead. Admit it; you knew he would never come out of that fight alive. You wanted him dead.

No. Nonononono…

You killed him. Killed him. Killedhimkilledhimkilledhim…

STOP IT!!

You. Are. A. Murderer.


Buffy bit at her lip ‘til it bled and raised a dark gaze towards the vampire.

Yes, I am.

Her stake hit its target with incredible speed; turning the shocked demon to nothing more than a pile of dust.
Without even so much as a second glance at the pile of dust, Buffy turned her back at the sight and began walking home.
Her demon taunting her constantly for each step she took.

Murderer.



~ ~ ~ ~




Dawn waited for Buffy as soon as the blond slayer sat a foot inside of the door.

“You disappeared without a word,” the younger sister said and circled round Buffy like a mother hen. “Are you okay?”

I will never be okay…

Buffy pressed forward a smile and a reassuring nod; thankfully noticing that the act seemed to fool her sister.

“Is everything…alright here?” Buffy asked and looked in the direction of the living room. “Is she…?”

“Fully occupied with playing Crash Bandicoot,” answered Dawn with a frown. “And making Xander almost crawl out of his skin.” Leaning in to whisper in Buffy’s ear. “I don’t think she likes him.”

Buffy repressed a smile and felt a tiny flutter of happiness spark in her chest. That made her eyes widen in surprise. Not many things did that for her these days.
But then again…
She always bounced back up to her feet.

“Buffy?”

Dawn’s voice brought Buffy back to reality and she focused on her sister’s concerned face. The younger girl appeared anxious for some reason.

“What?”

“Don’t you think we should… I don’t know… Test Illyria’s strength?”

Buffy walked over to the doorway leading into the living room and studied the entity that was deeply involved in the game.
Ever since Illyria had stepped over their threshold, her presence had been noticeable; her arrogance and egoistic ways a constant reminder that she wasn’t anything like them.
The god king seemed to expect that everyone would bow and be thankful for her presence.
Yeah, right…

“You’re right,” Buffy said to Dawn.

Dawn wisely held any ‘I know’ that might’ve slipped through her lips, inside of herself.
‘Cause, really, Buffy didn’t appreciate anyone getting the upper hand over her.
Really.



~ ~ ~ ~



Buffy hit the wall with incredible force – leaving a whole, before she slumped down on the floor.

“Foolish human,” Illyria gloated from her place in the middle of the room. “Your strength is nothing compared to mine.”

Buffy stared up at the god king and licked her wounds, silently surrendering to the fact that she had no power left. No will to fight on.
She was actually willing to give up…

Then her eyes flashed yellow and something in her stirred to life. A part that ‘til this moment had done everything in its power to taunt and plague her – but now; under the attack from a powerful opponent, it suddenly abandoned all hate for her and directed it towards the entity.

Nobody… NOBODY messes with her than me!

Buffy jumped gracefully back up to her feet and advanced on the entity. This time, as Illyria’s fist come flying at her, Buffy caught it in midair and effectively stopped the assault.

“I don’t think so,” she sneered and pushed the entity out of range.

Illyria regarded the petit slayer with cold eyes and then started to circle around the woman like a vicious predator.

“You’re adapting.” Tilting her head. “Much like the half breed did.”

Buffy gritted her teeth at the mentioning of Spike and clenched her fists into balls of contained anger.

“But,” Illyria continued with a touch of boredom in her voice, “I know that your strength is nothing in comparison to mine.” Patronizing smile. “Or even his when he was at his best.”

That’s it!!

That blue bitch is going down!!


Buffy moved with incredible speed, enough speed to stun even Illyria, and slammed into the entity with such force that they both flew across the room and right through the brick wall.
As debris and bricks fell around them, Buffy got up at her feet – with almost no scratch on her person, and picked Illyria up by the throat.

With gleaming eyes, the petite slayer threw Illyria across the living room – unaware of the shocked crowd that watched the display with wide eyes.
As Xander, Dawn and Andrew (who just arrived) only could look on in stunned silence, Buffy walked over to the slumping form of the god king and pinned her to the floor with her foot.
Leaning over, she whispered in Illyria’s ear, before releasing her:

“You never knew the real me.”

And with that, Buffy let go of the defeated entity and walked out of the room as if nothing special had happened.

Dawn gulped and overlooked the crashed wall and the beaten god king.

“Oh my God…”



~ ~ ~ ~



Buffy slid under the covers and stared out into the darkness of her room, unsure of how she should react to what had taken place just hours earlier.
She had actually defeated the powerful god king!
All on her own…

Hey now!!

Okay, with a little bit of help.

Keep telling yourself that, missy.


Buffy pressed forward a tiny smile. Then something hit her and she frowned in confusion.

You helped me…

That I did.

Why…?

Couldn’t very well let that blue bitch get the pleasure of destroying you. That’s my job.


Buffy groaned.

How thoughtful of you.

Yeah. Wasn’t it?


Buffy arranged the pillow to her liking and looked up at the dark ceiling, feeling her body adjust to the new levels of awareness.

I feel…

Stronger.

Yeah.

Faster.

Oh yeah.

More deadlier.

Yes…


Buffy drew in a deep breath and closed her eyes, tired beyond words.
It felt like she’d been fighting constantly for her life ever since that day when the Hellmouth closed. And in a way she had…

Will it always be like this?

I reckon.


Silence.

But then again; you could always kill yourself.

Buffy rolled her eyes.

I guess the truce is over for now?

Hell yeah!

Lovely…

Well, what did you expect? You killed him. Murdered him.


Buffy buried her head in the pillow, trying to block out the hateful words.
She desperately needed some sleep – even the tiniest bit, but as the night went by she realized that it was a lost cause.
She was just going through the motions…


Murderer. Cold hearted killer. You left him down there. Alone. You left him to burn to death. From the inside out. Can you hear him scream still?

Please…

Do you still think that he’s down there? Frozen for all eternity?

Don’t…

Do Spike still burn, Buffy?






Show me what it's like
To be the last one standing
And teach me wrong from right
And I'll show you what I can be
Say it for me
Say it to me
And I'll leave this life behind me
Say it if it's worth saving me.






Tbc…