An unbidden growl ripped itself from Spike’s throat. A more powerful one sounded from the dark vampire in front of him. Spike’s demon instantly flinched from the power behind that sound, and Spike was briefly overwhelmed by the age of the other vamp. He was older than Angelus. Much older…and *much* more powerful. And that was bloody terrifying.

Alanna watched the scene intently, her eyes flitting from each of them. If this meeting went badly...

Leto regarded the young vampire in front of him, his expression carefully blank. The challenging growl Spike had no business issuing had prompted an instinctual response from him, but he could understand Spike’s position. He was the weaker vampire, more so because of his current condition, and they didn’t know each other; he could smell the conflicting emotions and surprise radiating off of him. Leto wasn’t inclined to make anything of it unless Spike forced him to. He forced his demon down, his eyes changing back to their usual green and waited for Spike to make the next move.

Spike was surprised when the elder Master shifted completely into his human face and he wasn’t sure how to react. With Angelus and Darla, that little stunt would have brought immediate punishment; at the very best a painful demonstration of who was in charge, and the worst...Spike fought down flair of panic as memories flood him. Now was not the time. He wasn’t dealing with Angelus or Darla, and this place seemed to have a very strange hold over the demons in it. Spike slowly relaxed into his human facade, his eye never leaving the other demon’s. The elder vamp hadn’t made any threatening moves towards him, but Spike was still tense and ready. He had a hundred years of experience in vampire politics, and he knew one decision meant nothing.

Alanna let out a slow, shaky breath but didn’t interfear. What happened in the next few minutes was solely up to Spike and Leto.

When Spike tentatively shifted back Leto felt a tremendous weight lift. He reached deep within himself and pulled as hard as he could on the tenuous bond of family that connected him with Spike. It was faint, but it was there. For the first time in his very long life, Leto was genuinely thankful for his father.

Spike gasped as he felt the faintest tug of family coming from the vampire in front of him. He closed his eyes and concentrated. It was faint, fainter than any bond he’d ever felt before…but it was there. Blue eyes studied green ones.

“You’re family,” Spike said.

“Kind of,” was the gruff response he recieved. Leto slowly relaxed into a chair beside Alanna, his hand tangled in her hair. Spike’s eyes narrowed as her words registered in his mind.

“Mated?!”

“Yes,” Leto returned flatly. He regarded the incredulous vampire before him. They were walking a very fine line, and Leto was using all of his patience and resources to make sure they got through this in one piece.

“But…she’s a slayer…and-and you’re a vampire,” Spike said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Which is kind of was.

“He’s a bright one,” Leto said mildly to Alanna. She smacked him lightly on the arm and gave him a warning look. Spike’s eyes narrowed.

“Slayers and vampires don’t mate,” Spike snarled. He briefly wondered why the notion bothered him so much. He’d lived a long time, seen a lot of impossible things, many more drastic and surprising than a vampire mating a slayer. Well. Maybe not, because that was just...weird. And wrong.

“Apparently they do,” Leto informed him with infuriating casualness. Spike bristled, some part of him wondering why he was reacting so strongly. Alanna elbowed Leto in his ribs. He sighed and changed tracks. “Why do you think that is?” Leto asked Spike. His words were laced with something Spike couldn’t quite place. It wasn’t sarcasm or contempt, but it was definitely there.

“You’re enemies. You can’t…you can’t just change the way the soddin’ world works. Vampires kill slayers, slayers kill vampires. You don’t stop a fight and just say, ‘Hey, Slayer, fancy a shag?’ “ Spike scowled when Leto started cracking up.

“Leto,” Alanna growled warningly.

“Oh, ma petite. You have to admit it’s funny.”

“Yeah, why’s that?” Spike demanded challengingly.

“Because that’s pretty much how it happened.” Spike arched an eyebrow.

“How’s that?”

“Well, see, there was this witch—“

“LETO! Don’t you DARE!” Alanna commanded. She slapped a hand over her mate’s mouth, but he pulled away and kept going.

“—who was royally pissed off at both of us. So she cast this lust cur—“ Alanna managed to get her other hand over his mouth.

“I swear, you will be sleeping on the FLOOR if you keep going! Not the couch, the floor! Without pillows!”

“..curse. So I go out looking for din-din and there’s the Slayer, and I feel this rush and I have to have her. And I did.” With that, he pulled a fuming Alanna onto his lap and kissed her senseless.

Spike had to admit, the guy had skill. Elmo was a feisty one who didn’t give in easily, but she was currently melting like chocolate in the hot sun. Spike felt himself getting a little uncomfortable as the couple’s…affection grew more intense. He noticed a few other demons glancing at the distracted couple, some rolling their eyes. He shifted uncomfortably and cleared his throat.

“Slayers are easy, you just have to know how to control them,” Leto said, throwing a conspiratorial wink at Spike. Alanna let out an offended sound and began pummeling her lover.

“Wha?! How dare you! Oh, you’re so dead! You don’t get to say shit like that! I am a person, I have free will, you do not control me! I’m your mate, your equal you half-assed sorry excuse for a vampire! You just see if your key works tonight you fucktard!” Spike couldn’t help himself. He started laughing as Leto dodged Alanna’s slaps and punches, offering absolutely no apologies whatsoever. She raised her fist back, aiming for his nose, when Leto opened his legs and Alanna disappeared under the table. Spike met Leto’s twinkling eyes.

“I’m going to pay for that,” the older vampire remarked. Leto let out a pained shout and rocketed up from his chair. “Stop biting me! Leggo!” Leto hopped around, Alanna’s teeth firmly embedded in his calf. Spike realized belatedly that the pair’s antics had attracted the attention of every person in the cafeteria…most of who were watching with an air of familiar amusement.

Alanna yanked Leto’s legs from out of him and pinned him to the floor.

“You owe me at least a dozen roses, some VERY expensive chocolate, a massage, and a pretty scarf by tonight,” she told her captive.

“Gonna let me tie you up, petite?” Leto asked suggestively.

“No. I’m going to let you in the door,” she growled. “But if your apology is REALLY nice, the scarf may be for you...” Leto growled softly, and Alanna smirked. She pushed his head down on the ground and turned towards Spike.

“Dinner was lovely, thank you. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Spike just nodded mutely when she stormed out of the cafeteria, red hair blazing.

Leto struggled painfully to his feet, limping slightly. He settled himself across from Spike, who eyed him warily. They regarded each other silently. Despite her silence, Alanna had been a calming force on the two, a sort of shield that kept them from saying or acting any other way than kind. But she was gone now.

“Want a beer?” Leto asked gruffly.

In that moment, Spike decided—albeit grudgingly—that Leto was a bit of all right.