Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, you get to find out what happened after that little cliffhanger I left you with last time. Otherwise, just some more progress for our characters.
Chapter 13 – Going for Groceries

“Buffy! Is that you?” came the man’s voice.

“Angel?” she said incredulously with a genuine smile.


“Yeah, it’s me.” He gave her a grin. “I can’t believe I’m running into you like this. I haven’t seen you in what…”

“Five years,” she supplied with a light smile.

Will chose this time to tug on her hand and say, “Mama.”

Buffy looked down and smiled at Will. “Will, what does Mama say about interrupting grownups?” she said seriously.

“Not to do it,” he said quietly.

“So what do you say?” she asked.

“Excuse me,” he said sweetly.

“Ok, what is it pumpkin?”

“Who’s that man?”

Buffy smiled at that and looked back at Angel. She could plainly see the surprise written all over his face.


Spike had just parked his dad’s car in the parking lot of the grocery store. He had been sent to get a few things for dinner later and he wasn’t complaining. Actually he was happy to get out of the house. Well, that was until he saw Buffy talking to Angel.

He looked at the two of them smiling and chatting away. Then he saw her talk to Will. It looked like she was introducing Angel to his son. Spike was furious.

And being that he was furious and not seeing straight he did not go up to Buffy to see what was really going on. No, he preferred to remain angry and walk right back out of the store. Walking back to the car he saw Buffy’s jeep and decided to wait for her to come out instead.


“Angel, I’d like you to meet my son, Will.” Buffy picked up Will for a moment so that he and Angel would be eye level. “Will, this is an old friend of Mama’s.”

“What’s his name?” Will asked.

“Angel,” Buffy told him.

Will was quiet for a moment before saying, “That’s a funny name.”

“Yeah, it kinda is,” Angel admitted.

Buffy smiled on as Will took to Angel a little.

“Well, how have you been?” Buffy asked Angel.

“Good, really good. You?”

“Busy,” she admitted. “I’m back to see my mom.”

“Yeah, I heard. I’m very sorry. Give her my best wishes for a full recovery.”

“I will. Thank you.”

“And I’ve been with someone for a while now,” Angel added quietly.

“Oh?” Buffy said. “Who may I ask?” she inquired.

“Cordy,” he said, blushing a little.

“Oh,” was all that escaped Buffy for a moment.

“Yeah, it’s been really great. We’re really happy. And Buffy?”

“Yeah,” she said.

“I’m sorry… for the way I treated you back in high school. I’ve grown up a lot in the last few years and I realize what I did to people. I just wanted you to know that.”

“Thank you. That means a lot to me.” Will was starting to wiggle in her arms and she set him down.

“Looks like you need to be going,” Angel said.

“Yeah, I’ve got some things to do today.”

“Me too.”

There was a moment’s pause.

“Well, I hope we run into each other again while I’m in town,” Buffy said.

“I hope so too,” Angel added. “Bye Buffy.”

“Bye,” she said as she headed off to look for the rest of her groceries.


Finally after about an hour of wandering through the store Buffy was done with her shopping. She thought she’d found everything she needed to make a nice dinner soon. At least if she did forget something she would have at least another day to come back to get it.

Buffy fumbled for her keys as she neared the jeep. Then, just as she pressed the button on the keys to unlock the car she heard Will cry out, “Dad!”

Buffy looked up to see Spike leaning against the jeep. She wore a puzzled look which he seemed to be ignoring. All he was paying attention to was Will. She watched as he reached out his arms and picked up his son saying, “Hey buddy. Did you have fun in the grocery store?”

“Nuh-uh,” Will said shaking his head.

“Why not?” Spike asked.

Will just shrugged, not giving up anything. Spike got a little irritated by that, but didn’t show it.

Buffy suddenly caught on, but she didn’t want to say anything in front of Will right now.

“Will why don’t you sit in the car and I’ll start the AC and you can play your game-boy. How does that sound?”

“I like that!” Will said happily.

Buffy smiled and got him set up in the back seat of the jeep with the AC cooling down the car quickly. Then Buffy headed for the back of the jeep to put away the groceries. Now it was her turn to ignore Spike as she quietly got all the groceries out of the cart and into the jeep. The whole time she was picking and choosing her words.

She closed the back of the jeep and looked at Spike. She didn’t say a word as she turned and walked to put the cart away. When she came back to the jeep Spike was still there, leaning against the side again.

Buffy crossed her arms and waited for him to say something. She watched as his mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water. “Spike?” she said evenly.

“Yeah, Buffy.”

“What’s going on?” she asked as if she didn’t know.

“You tell me,” he began to get defensive.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“I saw you… talking to him,” he wouldn’t say his name.

“Him?” she asked.

Spike grit his teeth. “Angel.”

“Oh,” Buffy said demurely as she took a step closer to Spike.

“Oh?” he said angrily.

“Is that what this is about?” she asked quietly as she stood so close her body was almost touching his.

Spike cocked his head to the side. Something was a little off with this picture.

“You’re so cute when you’re jealous,” Buffy said as she ran a couple fingers through the hair just above his ear.

“I’m not…” He tried not to smile but he was fighting a losing battle.

“There’s nothing going on with me and Angel,” she said seriously.

“Really?” he asked quietly.

“Really,” she said sweetly as she leaned in and kissed him lightly on the lips.

Then she moved toward the driver’s door only to turn back and glance at Spike once more. “Are you coming over tonight?” she asked.

He looked up quickly, surprised by her question a little. “Sure,” he said, feeling anything but.

“Good, I’ll see you tonight then,” she said kissing him on the cheek before climbing into the jeep. She waved out the window and looked back at Will. “Wave to Daddy,” she said as she began backing up. Will waved to Spike and then went back to his game-boy. “How ya doing back there?” Buffy asked when they were almost home.

“Good,” Will said a little distantly. He was zoned into his game and Buffy left him alone.


Back at the store Spike went in and got the things he’d originally come for. Then he went home to his dad’s. He put the groceries in the kitchen and went up to his room. There he lay down on his bed and stared at the ceiling as he thought about his situation.


Chapter End Notes:
How'd ya like it?

Please review!

I was planning on updating once a week but with the lack of reviews I'm feeling less motivated now. :(