Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the longest chapter I've written to date. :D

Sexiness. Angst. Cuteness. All included.

Don't forget to review!
Chapter 15 – Released

Sunnydale General

Buffy looked at her mother’s doctor and then back to her mother. They were arguing about Joyce’s release. Buffy knew that her mother arguing was a good sign. Dawn knew it too because she was sitting in the corner smiling and trying not to laugh. Both girls knew that their mother’s arguing meant she was feeling a lot better.

“I want to go home,” Joyce insisted.

“But it would be better if you stayed a few more days,” the doctor insisted right back.

“I’m not staying in this hell hole any longer,” she said angrily.

“Okay, okay,” Buffy stepped in. “My mom wants to come home. What do we need to do in order to make that happen?”

“Miss Summers…” the doctor began.

“I know it would be better if she stayed, but frankly it’ll be better for you and your staff if you don’t have to deal with her bad moods any longer. I can take care of her at home. You just need to tell me how I can do that.” Buffy’s voice was calm and even. She was very serious and the doctor could tell there was no changing these women’s minds once they were made up.

He smiled and sighed. “Alright. If I can just speak to you for a few minutes out in the hallway I can have your mother released by 5 o’clock tonight.”

“Okay,” Buffy said. “Mom, Dawn, I’ll be right back.”

Buffy followed the doctor out into the hall and listened to him talk about her mother’s medications and the side effects and such. Then they walked over to a desk where he had Buffy sign some waivers and release forms.

“She’s all set. You can take her home now,” he told Buffy.

“Thank you doctor. This means a lot to my family.”


Summers’ house

Buffy parked the jeep and helped her mom out. “Dawn, get the door,” she said as she slowly walked with her mom to the front door.

Dawn ran to the door but just as she was about to open it she found herself face to face with Spike. “Hey…” she began.

“Hi,” he said, looking past Dawn for Buffy. As soon as he saw Joyce he was at her side. “Here, let me give you a hand Joyce,” he said, offering her his arm.

“Thank you, William,” she said sweetly.

Buffy smiled at him and he smiled back, all did not go unnoticed by Mrs. Summers.

When they were finally inside Spike helped Joyce to a seat on the couch where little Will was already sitting. Buffy went over to her son and asked, “How was it with you Dad today?”

“Fun,” he said with a little bounce on the couch.

Buffy smiled and kissed Will on the forehead. “Glad to hear it, pumpkin.” Then she turned to Spike, “Has he had dinner?”

“No, I was waiting to hear from you.”

“Thanks,” she said softly, and added, “Sorry I didn’t call earlier to let you know what was going on.” She was just about to say something else when her mom looked at Spike and Buffy knew she had one of her ‘ideas.’

“William, dear,” Joyce began.

“Yes, Mrs. Summers.”

“Won’t you stay for dinner with the family?”

“Of course,” he said with a smile and a glance in Buffy’s direction.

“I’ll go start dinner,” Buffy said as she began heading for the kitchen.

“I think I’ll go help her,” Spike said, leaving the living room a few seconds after Buffy.

Joyce smiled and shared a look with Dawn.

“Nice work, Mom,” Dawn said, taking a seat on the other side of Will on the couch, who was entranced with the program on the History channel.

The two Summers women looked at the littlest Summers and then at the TV and shared another look that said, ‘How does a son of Buffy’s get into the History channel?’


Meanwhile in the kitchen…

“Buffy…” Spike said as he walked in quietly.

“Hmm?” Buffy said without looking up from the vegetables she was chopping up.

“I don’t have to stay… if you don’t—”

“Don’t be silly.”

“But you seemed…”

“My mom just thinks she’s playing matchmaker.”

Her voice betrayed no emotion so he wasn’t quite sure what was going on here. “So, you want me to stay then?”

“You’re part of the family Spike, you should stay for the family dinner. But you don’t have to.”

He walked up behind her and placed his hands on top of hers, effectively stopping her work. “What do you want, Buffy?”

“You.”

She said it so quietly he almost missed it, but he didn’t miss her turning around in his arms and grabbing his jacket lapel. Her eyes nearly burned through him with emotion, but then her lips were on his. Her hands, such strong hands, were pulling him closer. He pushed her firmly against the island, rubbing himself against her core.

Her hands moved into his hair. His moved to her hips and then her buttocks, pulling her even closer to him. She wrapped her legs around him as the kiss broke for only a moment, leaving her panting. She pulled his face to her neck where he continued to lavish her skin with soft kisses.

“Bloody… delicious…” he murmured against her skin.

“Spike…” she murmured back.

As his mouth wandered over her neck leaving a trail of scorching heat her hands went to the counter for support. Suddenly the cutting board moved and made a little noise, jostling Buffy out of her lust induced daze.

“Oh…” she began. She pulled at Spike’s head and whispered, “William… we have to stop.”

His head jerked up to meet her eyes. “Bloody hell, Buffy,” he said heatedly, immediately dropping her back down on her feet.

“We just…” she started.

But he interrupted her, “We just what?” He pinned her against the counter again and said, “You can’t just keep toying with me like this Buffy.”

“Toying with you?” she said, her tone slightly injured. She pushed him away from her so she was no longer pinned. “I’m not.”

“No?” He began raising his voice as he took a few steps away from her.

“Keep your voice down.” She tried to quiet him. “Our son is in the next room with my mother and sister.” She looked at him and could tell that he wasn’t calming. She quickly threw the vegetables in with the chicken she’d gotten and rubbed down earlier and threw them in the already preheated oven. She glanced at her watch and took note of the time before she walked over to him and grabbed his hand. “Come on. We need to settle this.”

Now he was in for it. She was not happy that he was taking low blows because he was getting frustrated. The chicken would be about 2 hours in the oven so dinner would be around 7. They had plenty of time to fight this out and settle it. Buffy was determined to put this behind them and get on the right foot once and for all. This was the time to get it all out and move on. She was feeling a lot better now that her mom was home and she thought it would help things along with Spike, but that incident in the kitchen was… unexpected.

Spike hung his head as he trailed behind Buffy up to her room. He felt like a giant pratt right about now. He was frustrated. That was understandable, but he shouldn’t have said what he said under any circumstances. He knew that Buffy wasn’t toying with him. He knew that she was right. Now he’d have to grovel, long and hard.

Buffy pushed open the door to her room and waited for Spike to follow before she turned around and locked the door behind him. She looked at him coldly, staring him down with her arms crossed over her chest. “What the HELL was that?” she asked, barely keeping her voice calm.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.

“What?” came her harsh reply. “You’re sorry? You’d better be a lot more than that. You had no right…” Her breath hitched.

“I know. God, I’m such an idiot. I didn’t mean to bollocks things up.” He fell to his knees at her feet. “Please forgive me Buffy,” came his desperate plea.

“You’re forgiven,” she whispered.

He looked up suddenly but she wasn’t looking at him. There were tears in her eyes and he looked down, ashamed of what he’d done. He’d made her cry again when things were going so well.

Buffy finally looked down at Spike and saw his dejected form. She fell to her knees with him. It was her turn to console him and raise his chin to look at her. “William,” she said softly. “I forgive you with all of my heart.”

He slowly looked up as he heard her say his name. He listened to her and again said, “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean it.”

“I know baby, I know you didn’t. You’re just frustrated, and so am I. I just… I don’t want to rush through this. I want to take some time here, take things slow. I want every moment to count.”

Her words were soft and soothing. He nodded.

“I love you with all that I am. You have my heart.” She smiled. “It’s always belonged to you, and it always will. You have nothing to worry about, okay?”

He nodded again. She pulled him into her arms and held him tight for several minutes. Slowly his arms came around her and she smiled to herself as her head rested on his shoulder.

“Come on, let’s lie down for a bit,” she whispered.

“Tired?” he asked softly.

“A little. It’s been a long day… but mostly I just want you to hold me.”

He smiled and replied, “Alright pet.”

They moved to the bed and lied down, wrapping their arms around the other. They lay like that for a few minutes before Spike heard Buffy yawn and whispered to her, “Don’t fall asleep on me now, pet.”

“Mmm,” she grumbled.

But it was of no use. A few minutes later and Spike was watching her sleep peacefully. He stayed like that for a long while. He liked just watching her. She was peaceful and calm and it put him at ease.

Sometime later Spike looked at the clock and realized that Buffy had been asleep for an hour already. He lightly shook her, deciding that there were probably a few more things she wanted to get done for dinner.

“Nuh uh,” she mumbled and shook her head lightly.

“Come on pet,” he whispered. He ran his fingers over her firm stomach, successfully tickling her a little.

“Mmm… Spike,” she mumbled happily.

He smiled and whispered again, “Time to get up, Buffy.”

“No,” she pouted.

“Yes, Buffy. Family dinner, remember?”

She opened one eye and turned her head to look at him. “Do we have to get up?” she asked as she turned to face him and snuggle closer to his body.

“Unless you really want to be in bed with me all night,” he said with a wink.

“I could handle that,” she teased.

“Bloody tease,” he kidded.

She shrugged. “Maybe… just a little.” Her leg snaked between his and she rubbed him gently.

“Buffy,” he ground out as he grabbed a hold of her leg. “You’re aiming to…” he stopped as her hand moved to unbuckle his belt.

“Spike,” she said. “I know what I’m doing.”

“Do you?” he asked. “And are you going to finish…” he was stopped again as her hand unbuttoned and unzipped his jeans, successfully releasing his engorged cock.

“I plan to,” she said, wrapping her small hand around him firmly.

He hissed pleasantly and mashed his lips against hers, forcing her mouth open with his tongue. Nothing else existed for him as he felt her warm hand stroking him. It was better than he could have ever imagined and he was surprised at his own capability to hold off the impending explosion, as it were.

The next thing he knew he was throwing his head back and trying to concentrate so as not to let go too soon. Buffy just watched with pleasure. This was enough for her right now. Giving him this gave her plenty of pleasure for now. Her gaze flicked back and forth between the job at hand and his face. The expressions there were something she wanted to remember. The way he looked when he was in this state of mind enthralled her.

“Buffy,” he said, his voice strangled.

She smiled and moved her hand a little faster, squeezing him a little more. She kept rubbing the pre-cum over the head of his cock, letting it lubricate her motions. “Come for me baby,” she whispered. “Let go.”

“Fuck pet,” he panted. His hips thrust a few times and he grunted before his junk began spilling out. Buffy quickly grabbed an old t-shirt by the bed so that his jeans didn’t get dirty. When she was done she looked up at him and smiled. He was looking back at her with a look she hadn’t seen before.

“What?” she asked.

“You’re bloody amazing,” he replied in a husky tone.

She blushed and looked down for a minute. She wasn’t used to compliments after something like this. While she was looking down she realized that some of his juice had gotten on her hand. It didn’t bother her a bit but what she did next did surprise her a little. She looked up at Spike from under her lashes and she had this little smirk as she brought her hand to her mouth and sucked it off. “Mmm,” she hummed.

Without warning Spike had pushed her on her back, pinned her to the bed and was kissing her with bruising force. There was such passion in that kiss that Buffy was moaning and arching her back off the bed. When he broke the kiss all he could say was, “Bloody hell woman” before kissing her again.

A few minutes later they were both panting for air and the next thing Buffy said was, “I think we might be out of time now.” She said it with a disappointed tone that let Spike know she didn’t want this to end, but it had to be tabled.

“Yeah, I think you might be right, love.”

They both stood from the bed and began readjusting their clothes. “How do I look?” she asked.

“Gorgeous,” he said in that low, husky voice that started to melt her.

“Nuh uh, we can’t start this all over again. We have family dinner, remember?”

“Yeah, yeah. But we are so finishing this later,” he said with determination.

Buffy smiled a vixen’s smile and opened the door. “We’ll see,” she said over her shoulder as she started for the kitchen.

“That woman is going to be the death of me,” he sighed.


After dinner

Dinner had gone by without much event and they were now all sitting in the living room chatting about small stuff and ‘do you remembers.’

“That was really good, Buffy,” Joyce said from her spot on the couch.

“Thanks Mom.” Buffy looked down for a moment. She busied herself with bouncing Will on her lap.

Spike, sitting in a chair across from Buffy, took note of the way she looked down again after a compliment. He filed it away for later telling himself he would compliment her more often.

There was an awkward silence for a moment before Joyce slowly stood and said, “Well, I think I’m going to go to bed now. It’s getting late and it’s been a long day.” She smiled and said, “Goodnight William.”

“Goodnight Mrs. Summers.”

“And you can stop calling me Mrs. Summers. Call me Joyce,” she insisted.

“Yes, Joyce,” he said with a light smile.

Before she left she looked at Dawn and said, “Don’t you have school tomorrow Dawn?”

“Yeah,” Dawn began.

“Then I think you’d better get to bed too, and take Will with you. He looks tired,” she said with motherly concern.

“Ok, Mom,” Dawn said with a sigh.

Buffy kissed Will and hugged him tight for a minute. “Goodnight pumpkin,” she whispered.

“Night Mama,” he giggled and turned around and kissed her.

“Don’t forget to say goodnight to your dad,” Buffy whispered in his ear.

Will immediately hopped down from Buffy’s lap and went over to Spike. He climbed in his lap and gave him a big hug and a kiss saying, “Night Dad.”

“Goodnight Will,” Spike said, hugging him back and kissing him on the forehead. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Then he hopped back to his mom and gave her another hug and kiss as he told her “I love you Mama.”

“I love you more,” she teased.

“Nuh uh,” he shook his head adamantly.

“Yes uh,” she nodded. “Now off to bed.” She kissed him again. “I’ll come check on you in a little bit, okay?”

He nodded and followed his Auntie Dawn upstairs.

Now they were left alone again. Buffy looked at Spike and smiled and he looked back at her. After a few minutes passed Buffy said, “I think she did that on purpose.”

Spike nodded, but said nothing. He just watched as Buffy put her face in her hands and sighed. She was letting it all go. Her mom was home and she was going to be ok. Finally she let herself breathe. Spike got up from the chair and moved to sit beside Buffy on the couch. He took her in his arms and just held her for a few minutes.

When it was over she looked up at him with those big green eyes and said, “Thank you.”

“For what, pet?”

“For being here. For putting up with me.”

“You’re welcome, but as I recall the putting up with you has gotten a lot easier,” he waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Buffy swatted him playfully. “Hey!”

“Mmm,” he murmured and leaned in close to steal her lips for a moment. It was slow and soft.

“Wanna watch a movie?” Buffy asked after they had finished kissing.

“Sure.”

“What do you want to watch?”

“You pick.”

“Alright.” A moment later the movie was starting and she looked at him with a smile.

“You picked ‘Die Hard’?” he asked incredulously.

“Yep.”

“You are constantly surprising me.”

“That’s a good thing, right?” she asked with a cute smile.

“Yeah, that’s a good thing,” he assured her.

They snuggled into the couch, wrapped in each other’s arms as they watched the movie. Surprisingly they watched the movie and managed to stay awake. When it was over Buffy turned in Spike’s arms and looked at him.

“What do you see, pet?”

“Something special,” she whispered.

“Yeah?”

She nodded. “Ready to go to bed?”

He nodded and followed her upstairs. Buffy shut and locked her door behind them. She quietly changed into a tank top and a pair of bikini underwear to sleep in. Spike changed into the pair of shorts she had let him borrow the night before and climbed into bed with her.

Everything was going so well that he was afraid he’d screw it up. They’d finally gotten on some level ground where they’d made some crazy sense of their relationship. They were actually in a relationship which was a big step in and of itself. Now he was afraid that what he had to say was going to tear all of their progress to shreds. But he had to tell her. She deserved that much. He owed her that much. And she was the reason for all of the good in his life. She was the reason he had a family. She was the reason he had a sense of purpose again. She was the reason he had something to write about again, something to sing about again. And he needed to go back to LA to work on that with the band.

Buffy curled up beside Spike, laying her head on his chest. The steady rhythm of his breathing was lulling her to sleep when she felt him stroke her back softly and whisper, “Buffy…”

“Hmm?” she said.

“There’s something I have to tell you.”

“Okay,” she said a little hesitantly.

“I need to go back to LA.”

“Oh.”

Several minutes passed in silence before Spike spoke again. “Buffy… say something.”

Her reply was quiet and he had to listen carefully. “I didn’t expect you to say that. The thought of you going back hadn’t crossed my mind.” She took a deep breath and added, “But I understand.”

“You do?” he asked. “But I haven’t even told you why I’m going back yet.”

She was quiet. A tear fell from her eye and she moved her hand to wipe it away, but it was too late. He had felt the pool of moisture on his chest.

“Buffy,” he spoke gently as he put his hand under her chin and looked into her eyes. “I’m not leaving because of you. I love you and going back to LA isn’t going to change that. Your mom is getting better and you’re happier…” He sighed.

“Because of you,” she mumbled.

He kissed her nose. “Kitten,” he kissed her softly on the lips. “Let me explain.”

She was quiet and he took that as her way of allowing him to continue. “All this time here with you has given me back something that I’d thought I had lost years ago… my reason to sing… my passion… my muse.” He smiled at her. “You, my love, have given me a reason to sing again, something to sing about.

There was another silence that fell after that. He was waiting for her to say something and she was just looking up into those icy blue eyes. She closed her eyes for a moment and thought really hard about what he’d just said. Spike just watched her display with curious eyes and waited for her to speak. He could see that she needed a moment to come to terms with it.

“Now, how can I be mad at you after you say something like that?” she asked with a pout.

He smiled and kissed her nose again. “You can’t,” he suggested with a shrug.

“No, I can’t,” she said with a sigh. Then she laid her head back on his strong chest. She ran her fingers over his muscles while he ran his hand up and down her back, trying to soothe her.

“When do you leave?” she asked suddenly.

He took a deep breath and said, “Day after tomorrow.”

She was quiet for a few minutes before she spoke again with a sudden change of topic. “I decided to home-school Will this year.”

He nodded. “Alright. What made you decide on home-schooling him?”

“Well, after your suggestion,” she said as she drew an invisible circle on Spike’s skin. “I thought it made more sense if I was going to be moving him around between Sunnydale and San Francisco. I don’t want him feeling like he’s losing friends or anything. He and I get along great and I’m sure Lorne will make some allowances for me at work.”

“Sounds like a good idea to me.”

“Thanks, I wanted to include you in it.”

“And I appreciate that, pet.”

Silence fell on them again, but neither fell asleep just yet. They were both going over things in their mind.

Spike didn’t want his going back to LA to drive a wedge between him and Buffy again. They’d finally managed to find their way back to one another after bumping into each other about a week ago or had it been 2 weeks now? Spike couldn’t remember. The time had flown by so quickly. He just didn’t want to lose Buffy because of this.

Buffy felt the same or nearly so. They were getting on the right track and now they’d come to a bend in the road. The part that scared Buffy was that she couldn’t see around that bend. It amazed her that they’d come so far in such a short time, but that fact just made it feel more right. Buffy felt she was right where she was supposed to be, with Spike. She hadn’t felt this way since high school and it scared her to think that things were going too well.

“Spike…” she began softly.

“Yeah,” he said.

“Can you make me a promise?”

“Anything pet.”

“Promise me this won’t change things between us. Promise me you’ll come back to me.”

She looked up with those big green orbs that he could swear saw right into his soul. He couldn’t say no to her even if he wanted to, and he didn’t want to. “I promise. Now can you make me a promise?” he asked.

She nodded, “Yeah.”

“Promise me that you’ll call me and tell me how things are going.”

“I promise,” she said softly. “I’ll call you every night,” she added.

He smiled. “Don’t think you can go to sleep without me?” he asked playfully.

“Honestly, I don’t know, but I don’t want to…” she said candidly, and then added, “sometimes it scares me how much I love you.”

“I know just how you feel, pet.”

“You do?”

“Oh, yeah. I love you so much it hurts, and I don’t know what I’m going to do without you in LA.”

“How about when I get back to San Francisco Will & I come to LA for a weekend?” she asked, nearly holding her breath for the answer. This was a big step despite the fact they’d been spending every night together since he’d come to Sunnydale.

His eyes went wide with delight. “Seriously?”

“No, I’m just teasing you,” she said sarcastically. “Of course I’m serious.”

“I’d love that,” he said softly. “There’s so much I could show you guys in LA. I could take you to the studio where we record. You can meet Oz and Gunn. And there’s an amazing park that I love to go to. And I could take you guys to Disney Land,” he went on and on in his excitement until Buffy silenced him with a kiss.

She kissed him softly for a moment before pulling back. “You’re so cute when you’re excited, but I had to shut you up,” she teased.

“You just wanted to kiss me,” he said as he squeezed her bottom.

She squealed a little and said, “Did not.”

He kissed her and said, “Did too.”

“Okay, okay, I give in. I like kissing you,” she said with a twinkle in her eye.

“And I like kissing you. I’m glad we’ve covered that now,” he teased.

“Mmm, but maybe we should do some more research on the subject matter.”

“Maybe,” he replied.


Chapter End Notes:
Hope ya liked it! And please review!