Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the encouraging words, and I’m thrilled that you all want more. So here’s chapter two, hope you like this one. Not too much, there is a curse word a few times somewhere. So you’ve been warned, lol. I took the chapter title from Nickelback.

Also, school starts back the day after tomorrow for my kids, so I'm not sure when the next update will be.
*****

Chapter Two: Someday



“It’s the same old same, old, everyday. Tedious. Mind numbing. Boring. We’re young, we’re not supposed to be copped up in a building all day, being subject to listening to grown people drown on and on about things that we’ll never actually use in life. And, yet, here we are. I’m almost 100% sure that school is a special level in Hell carved out for kids, designed to break our spirits and keep us in line.”


Buffy balled up the piece of paper towel in her hand and tossed it at the garbage bin. She watched as it bounced off the rim and, then tumbled to the floor, joining the others carelessly left there.


“As I was saying, there’s this party tonight. Wanna come?”


Buffy frowned at her reflection. This blonde hair was something she really needed to get used to. “Party? On a school night? Yeah, right. Like my parents would ever let me go to one on a school night.”


“Well,” Faith shrugged, then giving herself a once over in the mirror. “who said you’d actually have to tell your parents where you’re going? You can always bend the truth.”


Buffy mocked surprise. “Are you saying that I should lie to the parental units? Yeah, and if they find out it will go over so well, not. Not to mention a grounding to end all groundings.”



“Aww, come one Buffy, you have to at least try. For me.” Faith smirked. “Do it for me. It won’t be the same without you. Oh, and Spike will be there.” She said in a sing song voice.



“He will?” “Okay, this is the part where I start getting all kinds of ideas in my head. I mean, it’s Spike. I have to be there. I have to get there, even if I have to crawl through snow and ice and walk through hail. Most likely I’ll sit in the shadows and watch him from afar, but at least we’d be in the same space after school.”



“Okay, fine. I’ll come with. Just let me think up a cover.”



“Why not tell your mom that you’re sleeping at my house?”



“Won’t fly. My mom dislikes you with a passion. She thinks you’re leading me down a road of debauchery.” Buffy frowned. “Like she even knows what that means.”



“Well you’ll think of something, then you can meet me at the end of your block and we’ll go from there.” Faith gave herself one more look in the mirror then at the door to the bathroom. “Wonder where Xander is? I’m gonna go find him. See you later, B.”



“Yeah, later.” The former brunette turned blonde was left alone with her thoughts and, how to go about convincing her parents to let her out on a school night, when a toilet flushed. She rolled her eyes in irritation. She really hated when other people were present to eavesdrop on her conversations.



The bathroom stall opened and out walked the last person that she wanted to see. The redhead walked towards the sinks, opting to use the one farthest away from her former friend. Buffy dug around in her purse looking and locating her lip gloss, then applied some to her lips. Willow washed her hands sneaking side glances at the girl next to her.



Tossing the cosmetic back in her bag Buffy turned towards the girl. “Just say what’s on your mind!”



Willow came to stand a few feet from her as she dried her hands. “I hate it.”



Buffy arched a brow. “Hate what? Not following you here.”



“The hair. I think it’s stupid. I don’t see why you had to change it. Brown was your color.” She paused and crossed her arms over her chest. “Sometimes I don’t think I even know you anymore.”



“Oh, and here I thought I needed to discuss what I do with my hair with someone who doesn’t even speak to me anymore. How silly of me.” She bent down to pick up her backpack. “Guess what Willow? I pretty much don’t care what you think. You lost that privilege when you stopped talking to me.”



The girl’s face turned almost the same shade of red as her hair. “No, Buffy! You were the one who dropped me like a bad habit, so don’t you dare try to turn this around on me.” Willow pushed past Buffy and opened the bathroom door. “I… you can be a real bitch, you know that?” And with that she left.


*****


Buffy sat in English a small pout on her lips.


“What’s wrong?”


Pout turning into a frown Buffy looked beside her. “Nothing, just leave me alone, please.”



Jesse frowned. “No need to bite my head off. I was just asking if you were okay.”



Buffy sighed. “I said please, didn’t I? God, what more do you want?”



With a roll of the eyes Jesse turned back to his book. See if he ever asked her what was bothering her ever again.



She couldn’t focus, all the words seemed to run together making no sense to her at all. Buffy felt bad for snapping at Jesse, but she really wasn’t in the mood. Not after the “episode” in the bathroom. Of all the nerve, Willow was completely out of line. It made Buffy wig, she so was not a bitch. It was as if she set out to actually hurt her, or Jesse. Since she kinda guessed she hurt him too, after cutting all communication with him as well. Yup, they went way back as friends too. But their friendship was sacrificed too, so that Buffy could find herself. With another frown she decided to tune out all negative thoughts, she needed to focus on this party. What was she going to wear, since she knew she had absolutely nothing party worthy. Why did she let Faith talk her into going? Oh, right, William Pratt.




That didn’t make her a bitch. It made her a person exploring her surroundings, becoming independent… and taking up new friends. “Fine, I can see how she could think that I’m a bitch. But I’m not. I’m just trying to find out who I really am. If that makes any sense at all. I needed space and they just couldn’t give it to me.”



*****


Hank was sitting behind his desk going over some papers. Taking over the family business really wasn’t something he wanted to do, but once his father took ill, the responsibility landed at his feet. He grumbled, the numbers just weren’t adding up. Setting the pages aside he reached once more for his calculator.


Buffy watched him through the half open door. She really hated to bother him, but then again, she really wanted to attend that party. She gazed at the sliding door in front of her. Once work for her father started picking up and the insurance company started to gain popularity, instead of him spending most nights late at work they decided to convert the dinning room into his home office. Taking a deep breath she tapped on the door.


“Come in.” He called out, not bothering looking up from his work.



Buffy walked in and stood in front of the desk. She was nervous and it showed with the nervous fidget of her fingers and the nibbling of her bottom lip.



“How can I help you, Buffy?”



Buffy opened her mouth, but nothing came out. Pausing she cleared her throat. “Umm, well you know this is my sophomore year and all.”



Hank put his work aside and leaned back in his chair, a bemused smile slipping over his face. “Yes, sweetheart, I know. But what does this have to do with you standing in my office?”



Buffy shot her dad a playful glare before continuing. “Well, there’s this house… a friend’s house, I mean. And she’s having a few girlfriends over and I was invited. Can I go please? I know it’s a school night, but it’s just a bunch of girls, no biggie. I promise to be home before eleven.”




Hank raised his eyebrows. “Did you run this past your mother?”



Buffy pouted. “No, I already knew what she’d say; therefore I cut out the middle man and came straight to you.” She could feel her hope fading fast. Everything was always left up to her mom. It sucked being a kid! But then her dad did something that she’d never expect.



“You can go. Make sure your homework is done before you leave. And you have to be back by eleven.”



Buffy almost screamed with delight, before running over to her dad and giving him a fierce hug, before bounding out of the room to call Faith and let her know that she could come to the party.



*****


She felt ridiculous and she couldn’t find Faith or Xander anywhere. They all arrived together, but soon as they entered the house, Faith headed over to the makeshift bar in the kitchen with Xander, following her like a lap dog. Buffy was starting to suspect that the boy had a serious crush on the girl. So that left Buffy standing alone and feeling very naked. She nervously pulled at the hem of her denim dress. It wasn’t too short; just sitting right above her knee, but still. She was so going to kill Faith.



Buffy walked further into the room trying to locate her friends, but instead of finding them she noticed a few of the guys checking her out, causing a slight blush to spread across her cheeks. Okay, that was new. She was quite sure she’s never been checked out by a boy before, and at last count five teens had looked her up and down. It wasn’t as if she weren’t pretty, the fact was she never dressed in a way for boys to notice her. If a guy wasn’t attracted to her because of her mind but because of her body, then she just wasn’t interested. It was there loss.



Buffy rolled her eyes then pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. Why did she let Faith talk her into wearing this dress? Though, she had to admit, it was the only decent dress in the girl’s closet. Just as she was about to turn around and run for the door an arm slipped around her waist. “Hey, girl! Where ya going?”




Buffy sighed, before slipping out of the loose embraced to turn around and glare at Faith. “Just where have you been?” She demanded, hands firmly on her hips. Faith only smirked before taking another sip of her drink.



“I was getting liquored up.” She thrust the cup out in front of her. “Want some.”



Buffy wrinkled up her nose. “Maybe next time. Promise you won’t leave me again?”



Faith snorted. “Seen some guys checking you out? Told you! You look hot! Guys like that, really. But I promise. I will not leave little ol’ Buff alone tonight.” Swaying a bit the brunette took the blonde by the hand and the two started walking back towards the kitchen.



“Where are we going?” Buffy asked as they brushed past a few boys. Buffy squeaked as one pinched her ass.



“Hey, there will be no pinching of her ass. If you must pinch, here goes mine!” Faith called out over her shoulder wiggling her bum in their general direction. “We’re going to get Xander. I left him back here with the food,” she added as they entered the kitchen.



Xander looked up from a handful of cheese puff. “That dress does look better on you Buffy.” He greeted.



“Yeah, so I’ve been told,” she sarcastically replied trying to let go of Faith’s death grip on her hand.



The other girl pulled her to the door on the opposite side of the kitchen. From what she could tell it lead to a darkened hallway.



“Where are we going now?”



“No where. But you need to fix your hair. The bathroom is right through that door.” Faith pointed then opened said door before pushing Buffy inside. She hadn’t the chance to protest as the door was pulled closed behind her. She stood there staring at the closed barrier and frowned. Buffy was certain that this was not a bathroom, for starters it was too big for a place to pee. Second, there was a T.V. playing somewhere behind her. And three, it was dark, the only light was the shadows from the television dancing along the walks.


Buffy reached for the doorknob, and turned, but it wouldn’t budge. She could hear Faith on the other side giggling like a mad woman and Xander telling her to quit it. She kicked the door out of frustration then turned around and sighed. “Just great,” she mumbled.



“Oi, keep it down. Tryin’ to watch the game.”



Her eyes widened comically and she had to slap a hand over her mouth to stop the “epp” that wanted to escape. Faith had known! And she tossed her in here like… well, she hadn’t a clue what to compare herself to. Taking a deep breath she walked deeper into the room and towards the television and to Spike.


“Oh. My. God. I’m gonna kill her! Okay, deep, calm, soothing breaths. You can do this. He’s only a boy. Yeah, right. Your mouth goes dry, your palms start to sweat and, you loose all motor function. Just a boy! This is Spike. Girls are willing to give up an arm to be in the same room as him.”



By the time she’d finished her small pep talk she was standing beside him. Spike was lounging in one of the Lazy Boy chairs, one leg cross over the other as he stared intently at the screen.



Buffy followed his gaze to the T.V. “What are you watching?” ‘See, that wasn’t so hard. You actually spoke to him.’



“Football,” he replied not looking away from the game.



Buffy looked back at the screen. She didn’t see any football. It wasn’t as if she was very knowledgeable in sports, but, she was pretty sure she knew what a football looked like when she was present with one. And that, was no football, it was a soccer ball.



“I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s a soccer game not football.”



This time he did look up at her, regarding her with a raised brow. “No, not watching that rubbish you Yanks call football. This,” he said pointing at the screen. “is the real thing. Shut up and sit down.”



It wasn’t as if she had any other place to go, since Faith was holding her hostage, so Buffy sat down… and stared directly at the T.V. They sat in silence as the game unfolded. She was completely lost but wouldn’t ruin the moment for anything. She was sitting in a dark room with Spike. (Yay!) Maybe instead of killing Faith she’d buy her a thank you gift. Then the worst thing that could happen did, the game cut to a commercial.



Buffy sat there fidgeting with her fingers as Spike drummed his fingers off his thigh. Finally he turned to her. “You’re that smart bird in my English class? Bunny, right?”



That caused a small smile to touch her lips. “No, I’m not a rabbit. It’s Buffy. My name I mean.”




“Buffy. Guess it’s better than Bunny. But it still makes you sound like a stripper.”




This time Buffy laughed. “Oh, yeah, and Spike so isn’t a porn stars name.” Her eyes grew wide once more. “I didn’t just say that? Did I? I didn’t… I mean… So shutting up now.”




Spike chuckled removing his fags from his duster’s pocket. The chit was alright. He was about to say something else when the door opened and in walked a tall bearish looking boy. Liam (Angel) Davenport. Buffy couldn’t stand him. And if there was one draw back in fawning over Spike, it would be Angel. He was a self absorbed, pompous ass, who thought he was all that because he was born in Ireland. Like that made him so special. He didn’t even have an accent.



“Let’s roll. This party blows,” he said from the doorway, motioning for his friend to join him. Spike rose from his chair gave a final glance at Buffy, then left.


*****

A/N: So, are you guys still with me? Do you want more? Let me know. Drop me a review! Anyone good at making banners and want to make on for this fic? Let me know.