Author's Chapter Notes:
None of these characters are mine.
The story is set in S5.
Chapter 17

Full Circle- Redux

Buffy couldn’t sleep. According to the clock on the nightstand she’d said a lingering good night to Spike almost forty minutes ago and here she was, still wide awake.

Her brain just wouldn’t shut off, it continued to cycle over and over through things Margot had said at the meeting.

It must be the same way when a Slayer dies.

At first everyone is upset, so concerned. Then after awhile, it becomes just another incident written up in some musty Watcher’s diary.

This is my fate and I accept it. I will die fairly quickly in the line of duty.


Buffy heard her own voice, too.

You came up with a way to stay alive. Why is that such a problem?

But she’d known it would be a problem even as she’d ask the question. Champions die. That’s the way it was, the way it would always be. There won’t be any cheating the fates out of their fun.

I’ve died twice already. How many more chances will I get?

The Powers never allow their champions to tip the balance merely to survive. Warriors just didn’t rate that high on the list. Taking down the baddies at any cost, now that was numero uno, top of the hit parade.

It would take the power of a Hellmouth to keep an Imperial Wizard alive. How high the cost for a Slayer?

She slipped out of bed and headed to the bathroom to splash some water on her face. Opening the door, she found Spike smoking a cigarette and staring out the window.

Shirtless and barefoot, his slender body framed against the backdrop of the moon, while sharp cheekbones stood out in stark relief, the vampire created an illusion of the perfect marble statue. David in black jeans.

When he turned dark blue eyes toward her, Buffy’s breath caught. He was the most beautiful creature she’d ever seen.

Spike turned when the door opened and gazed at the Slayer in the doorway of the old fashioned bathroom. Standing there in her pink nightgown, blonde hair mussed and reddened eyes swollen from lack of sleep, he thought she was the most gorgeous woman in the world, although right at this moment, probably the loneliest.

The chosen one. He’d always hated that particular title; it was so like Watchers to accentuate a Slayer’s aloneness. They had the galling tendency to forget they were dealing with young women, not impersonal killing machines.

Tossing his cigarette out the open window, he broke the silence. “I knew you weren’t sleeping, I could hear you toss and turn.”

Managing a slight smile, she replied, “Gotta love that vamp hearing.” She shrugged and added, “I can’t shut off my brain. I keep thinking about Margot and her situation. It’s wrong that she had to resort to that spell, she just wanted to be normal for a while.”

He stepped quickly across the floor to her. “Come on luv”, he murmured, placing his arm around her waist as he had during their trek through the hive. Together they walked slowly back to her room. “I’d wager there are other thoughts circling round and round in that beautiful head, too, maybe even a few about your own situation.”

Glancing at him, Buffy said, “You’re always so perceptive. How do you do that?”

“Easy, luv. I just keep my eyes open. I noticed at the meeting how personally you took the things she said.”

He helped her climb back into bed and started to tuck the blanket up around her shoulders when she gazed up at him and said, “Spike, please don’t leave. Stay. I sleep better when I’m with you.” The little voice encouraged her. Tell him how he makes you feel. But how do I feel?

I would never, could never leave you hurting. “Of course,” he replied, and obligingly crawled under the covers, lying so that Buffy could nestle her head against his shoulder.

She sighed and whispered. “Margot and I have such similar situations that I just can’t help thinking about it.”

“No Slayer, see that’s where you’re wrong, your situation is different from hers.”

“Why is that?”

“Because you’ve got me.” Always. He kissed the top of her head. “Now, sleep. It’s only a couple hours until we play Rescue Rangers.”

“Rescue Rangers, huh?” Snuggled on his shoulder finally fully relaxed, she teased playfully, “Okay, but I get to be Chip.”

He responded with his trademark smirk. “What are you goin’ on about Slayer? You know I’d be Chip. You can be Dale.”

“No way, Spike. Besides, I distinctly remember an incident with you and a certain Hawaiian shirt. Anyway, Chip’s the boss, hence you’re Dale.”

“But Chip has the good coat.”

“What about Monty?” She giggled. “He’s really strong and he’s got that aviator jacket.”

“Oh, so now I’m an overweight Aussie with a penchant for cheese and a green mosquito for a sidekick. There’s a bloody improvement.”

“Zipper’s not a mosquito, he’s a fly.”

“Slayer, we both need to fly to sleep.”

“That was quite an odd segue.”

He looked down at her, eyes twinkling. “Liked that, did you?”

“Liked? That was seriously bad punning.” She giggled again. “Good night Spike.” I think I love you.

Spike leaned over and kissed her again. “G’night, Buffy.” I love you.

She yawned and knew she could sleep now. Mr. Perceptive was right; he’d already made such a huge difference in her life and things between them just kept getting better and better.

But coat or no coat, he still doesn’t get to be Chip.


*****


“Slayer, it’s time to go.”

Spike hated to awaken her. It seemed as if they’d just fallen asleep. But the Slayer would never forgive him if they didn’t get to Kyle in time and Spike knew he’d never forgive himself either, so he reached down and gently nudged her.

Touching her like this was nearly his undoing, much worse than when he’d held her a couple hours ago. Then she’d needed his comfort and he’d gladly given it pushing aside any thoughts about how incredibly sexy she’d looked in her pale pink nightgown and bare feet. But now…. he stared down at her blonde hair fanned across the pillow and his eyes glazed over.

He cleared his throat and whispered, “Buffy? Wake up, pet.”

Buffy opened her eyes and smiled at the rumpled guy leaning over her. Spike with bed hair. Yum. The little voice in her head shamelessly whispered that there were lots of things they could be doing in this very bed that would make him look even more rumpled.

Spike frowned. Buffy had awakened and was staring at him like she’d suddenly been turned and he was about to become lunch. He could hear her heartbeat and pulse accelerate. Hmmm, I wonder…. Well whatever’s going on, I need to get away from her, or I’m goin’ to lean over and…. He practically leaped out of bed. “Pet, we have to leave, so I’m goin’ to get dressed.”

“Right” she replied briskly and started sliding out of bed. “I’ll meet you in your room in ten.”

He watched her shake off what? Spike knew he’d been enduring a serious case of unresolved sexual tension for the last two days. If Buffy was, too….. . Now there’s a thought to get a bloke’s blood flowing. He grimaced as his jeans tightened. Bloody hell.

Turning away from her, he swallowed hard. “Fine, but I’m going to need a little more time than that to get myself sorted, let’s make it fifteen, and I’ll meet you at the stairs.”

She was already rooting for her clothes. “Okay, see you in fifteen.”

Exactly fifteen minutes later they were slipping quietly down the stairs. Crossing the second floor landing next to Margot’s room, Spike caught the sound of two familiar heartbeats and snickered.

Well, well, well. Rupes is bunking with the wizard tonight. There’s one I didn’t see coming.

He filed the knowledge away, to be trotted out if necessary when Buffy confided in her Watcher about their relationship. I dare him say something out of line, when he’s just been caught out himself.

Cheerfully, he held the door open for the Slayer. “It’s a beautiful night for mayhem isn’t it luv?”


*****

Giles stopped kissing Margot and lifted his head. “What was that noise?”

Margot listened for a moment. “I think it might be Buffy and Spike leaving. Do you need to speak with her?”

“No, no, not at all. I just thought-”

“Thought what?” She smoothed a lock of hair away from his eyes.

“I just thought for a moment that I heard someone laughing. Never mind, it’s nothing.” He turned back to her. “Now, where was I?”

“I believe you were just about to kiss me.” She tilted her face up.

“Ah yes, I remember now I was about to kiss you.” He lightly touched her breast. “But I believe I’d been planning for a bit farther down.”


*****

Kyle sat up abruptly. There were several noises outside the door. Rubbing his eyes, he realized that one of them, a sort of loud bang, was what had startled him. He heard the bang noise again. What was going on out there?

He had been trying to puzzle out the remainder of the steps for at least two more of the least powerful incantations, hoping that if he could offer a choice between three different spells, the demon might pick one of those for the demonstration. Then he might not learn of the deception before Kyle could figure out an escape.

But there was a flaw in his plan. Kyle hadn’t known any of the spells he’d read and had finally resorted to plugging in anything that seemed logical and hoping it would work while becoming more and more nervous and frightened with each passing moment.

But he’d sucked it up and was doggedly continuing work on the incantation for a shield spell that had had his hopes up when he’d come across it. But so far he hadn’t been able to keep his pencil from poking his arm, so he still had something messed up.

Ignoring all the noise, he muttered a different phrase and winced when the point stuck his arm again. He was leafing through the Grimoire trying to find something with less information missing, when he heard the door being unlocked.

His heart sank.


*****


“It sounds like about a dozen demons, all at various points inside the building.” Spike reported after a brief recon.

They’d left the wizard’s house and the vampire had led her to the Gashi Chieftain’s den, uneasily admitting that he’d actually been there once, long ago.

Surprisingly, Buffy hadn’t made any comments, merely asking if he remembered anything about the layout.

“Not really, pet. He didn’t let me inside, made me wait on the porch. I was collecting on a poker debt.” He scratched his head. “There has to be at least one more entrance, no self respecting demon is goin’ to have only one way in or out of his place, but I didn’t see it anywhere, so it must be a tunnel.”

“It’s probably really well hidden. This place isn’t as big as the hive is it?”

“Nah. The Chieftain likes to pretend he’s civilized and lives like a human. He maintains another residence or two nearby for the rest of his Clan. Here it would be him, his mate, their own sons and his personal guards. This building we’re seeing is all of it, except for maybe that escape tunnel.”

He watched the Slayer tick the information over in her head and couldn’t help his next question. “So what’s your plan and it better not include any rocks.”

Groaning, Buffy looked over at the laughing vampire. Spike had been in an uncommonly good mood the entire trip over here. She was attributing it to him feeling as rested as she did coupled with the possibility of some serious fighting. The promise of a fight, usually with terrible odds, always made him happy.

“Any idea if Kyle’s in there and where they’re keeping him?” She peered around the shed where they were currently hiding to stare at the large house. For a crappy demon’s lair, it looked reasonably normal. “Not much for lawn maintenance is he? He’s got serious crab grass issues.”

“Somehow I don’t picture him out on Saturday afternoons with a weed whacker.” Spike shook his head at the picture that made in his head. “I’m sure he keeps a low profile, even if this is Sunnyhell.”

“He could always get a service” Buffy mused. “He probably has lots of money with that whole demon leader thing going on.” She turned back to the vamp. “Any luck?”

Spike listened for another moment just to be certain. “Kyle’s somewhere in the middle of the house.” He grimaced. “Slayer, the kid’s wide awake and terrified.”

“Well, at least we won’t have to carry him.”

“The way his heart’s racin’, I think it’s goin’ to be more of a case of just trying to slow him down enough to steer him in the right direction.”

Buffy hefted the cross bow. “Okay, here’s the deal. You bring the swords; we’re going in through the front, loud and fast. Hopefully they won’t be expecting anyone. When we get inside, I’ll keep them at bay with the bow and you barricade the door, so we won’t need to watch our backs for a few. We’ll work our way to Kyle and then out again. If we need to, we’ll use the bracelet to get us back through their soldiers. How is that?”

“The bracelet saved our asses in the hive; I’m startin’ to believe it might work occasionally. As for your plan, wonder of wonders, I detected no rocks in it anywhere.”

She snickered. “Per your request, Dale.”

Shaking his head, he reached for her arm. “Just a minute Chip.” Pulling her close, Spike kissed her. “That’s for luck.”

Buffy dropped the crossbow and wrapped both arms around him tightly. “We’re going into a very powerful demon’s den against a dozen hand picked body guards. We have no knowledge of the layout or exactly where our objective is located. I think we need a little more luck than that.” She kissed him again harder. “Okay, now I think we’re ready.”

Spike shot her a searing look that sent a bolt of heat right through her middle. “Oh, I’m ready all right.” Gotcha Slayer.

Buffy sent him a smoldering look in return that made his jeans tighten all over again. “Yeah, me, too.” Bollocks.

Picking the crossbow up she added, “Let’s get this done, so we can go home and celebrate.”

Spike swung the swords and grinned. “Now that’s the type of plan I can definitely work with.”


*****

“The Chieftain said to get here as quickly as possible, so I ran the entire way.” The bodyguard gulped air, trying to continue his explanation. “I heard the fight start.”

The Gashi Chieftain’s son frowned. “So it was a trap after all. I told him it was a mistake to trust the Thesa. They have always wanted our territory.”

“I don’t believe it was our territory that they were after.”

“Then what?”

“Before I left the room, the Overlord spoke of the wizards.”

“Of course.” He paced around the room. “We shall have to see what the young wizard has discovered within the book. Then, as the new Chieftain, I will be able to decide what to do.”

“I am not certain that your father is dead. I left before the outcome had been determined.”

“It does not matter,” he retorted. “I am in command here at present.”

Suddenly they both heard a loud bang.

“Find out what that noise was and send two bodyguards to the boy’s cell. I’m going to question him right now.”

“Yes, sir.”

Another bang sounded. The door opened and one of the guards stuck his head in the room. “We are under attack!”

“Then get out there and protect the den.” He reached for a knife. “Go. Now!!” Turning to the tired bodyguard, he pointed toward the back of the building. “Go phone the other dens and get some back up here right now.”

*****


“Ready Slayer?”

Buffy strung an arrow and aimed the cross bow at the door. “Ready.”

Spike kicked the metal door and they both winced at the loud bang. The door, obviously heavily reinforced in some way, sagged on its hinges but remained steadfastly closed.

Cursing, Spike leaped again, this time using both feet. The bang was louder, preceded by the sound of the hinges giving way.

Three enormous demon guards rushed forward. Buffy shot the first through the heart with the cross bow. It fell backward soundlessly. She looked down to notch another arrow but the second enormous demon guard rushed forward and knocked the cross bow from her hands. It clattered across the floor and wound up in the far corner. “You jerk, that was my favorite bow,” she yelled at the demon.

Spike leaped away from the broken door, pitching Buffy’s sword to her. “Slayer, catch.”

She looked up and caught the sword expertly. He grinned. That’s my girl.

Spike turned back just in time to duck under the arc of the third Gashi guard’s broadsword. Pivoting, he plunged his own sword into the guard’s furry chest. It collapsed with a groan, pulling his sword down with it.

“Bloody hell.” He tried to pinpoint Kyle’s location again while wrenching the sword free.

Buffy twisted, kicking the Gashi bodyguard hard in the stomach. It roared, trying to rake her with its claws as it doubled over. She skipped sideways, bringing her sword down and severing its head at the shoulders.

Blowing a strand of hair from her eyes, Buffy watched the dismembered head roll to the corner, stopping to rest against her cross bow. She grimaced and thought that the floor just had to slant to that corner. Now there’s demon ick spewing all over my best crossbow.

Several more Gashi guards wielding broad swords and growling loudly, crowded through the narrow doorway from somewhere in the back of the den, blocking them from getting to Kyle.

Buffy saw Spike cock an eyebrow. We have to get through them to grab Kyle.

She nodded. Let’s do it before even more reinforcements show up.

Together they raised their swords and charged.

The guards met them with a clash of swords