Author's Chapter Notes:
Characters all belong to Joss, not me.
Chapter 19

Hearts Kept on Burning

“Hi Mom, I’m home.” Claire called through the door of the kitchen. Her mother and a stranger rose from the table. “I’ve always wanted to say that; doesn’t it sound like I’ve become some character in a situation comedy?”

Her mother smiled and Claire noticed how tired she looked. She hadn’t seen her mother since the very beginning of this escapade and Margot looked as if she’d aged twenty years in two weeks. Claire hurried over and hugged her, murmuring “I’m so sorry about Grandfather.”

“Thank you sweetie. He was lucid and not in pain. We were able to make the exchange.”

“Who’s the guy at the table?”

“This is Rupert Giles, Buffy’s Watcher.”

The tall gentleman walked around the table and held out his hand. “We spoke on the telephone.”

A Watcher, huh? He didn’t mention that on the phone. The kitchen door swung open again and Drake walked in with a very sullen Ethan.

Margot shoulders stiffened. “Claire, what’s going on?”

Claire shrugged. “The spell didn’t dissipate when I crossed the apartment’s threshold, so I had to bring him along. It’s just beginning to break apart now.”

Ethan interrupted. “I demand to know what’s going on here Margot.”

Giles stepped forward. “Might I suggest that we retire to the study?”

Claire watched her mother’s shoulders sag, but when she turned to respond to the Watcher, her face brightened and she smiled softly. “Yes, that would be a good idea.”

Hmmm. There’s more going on here than anyone’s said or my name isn’t Claire Morgana Chaplaine. “Mr. Giles is right, mom, I think we should move into the study, too. I know we’ve got some things to discuss.”

“First, I need to speak with Ethan. Why don’t you and Drake go on into the study and I’ll be there in a moment.” She motioned to a chair. “Rupert, please stay.”

Claire watched as the Watcher opened his mouth to say something, then closed it and nodded, although he made no move to sit. He remained standing between her mom and Ethan, as if shielding her. She noticed how her mom seemed to lean toward him across the space.

He telephoned me and now he’s deferring to my mom just like…Oh Goddess, they’re sleeping together. Well, this little dramady just keeps getting better and better.

She turned to see if Drake had caught on yet, but he was still staring at Ethan suspiciously. Claire was tempted to giggle. My, he looks so fierce, like one of those pug dogs. But he’s so thick when it comes to affairs of the heart. He never catches on to what is right under his nose.

Out loud, she said, “Come on Drake; let’s get a blazing fire going in the study.” She deliberately glanced between her mother and Giles and added, “I think I’m the only one here that hasn’t started one yet.”

Giles watched in amusement as the young woman left the room, followed closely by Margot’s stepson. So that’s Drake and Claire figured out immediately that her mom and I have a relationship. Ironically, she hasn’t caught on to how he feels. It’s amazing how blind the young can be at times.

His eyes narrowed as he turned to the remaining member of the group. “Ethan.”

“Ripper, how are you?” Ethan smirked. “It’s been awhile since I’ve seen you and you’ve changed quite a bit since then.” He slid into a seat. “So, Margot, my dear, it seems that there’s been a bit of a subterfuge going on around here.” He glowered at her. “You’ve been playing old Ethan.”

She sat down across from him. “I’m sorry about that Ethan, but I was desperate at the time. You were my only chance.”

“I have to admit that it was a bit of a shock when I realized what was going on.”

“Don’t worry. I’ve arrived at a solution that should ensure your complete understanding and absolution.” She looked up at Giles. “Rupert, do you have a twenty dollar bill?”

Giles reached into his wallet and pulled out the requested bill. He handed it to Margot. She held it in her hands briefly and then passed it to Ethan. “This should cover any inconvenience.”

“Twenty dollars? I have to admit that your daughter was a fun snog, but surely you’re joking.” He glared at her. “It’s a mistake to double cross me Margot.”

“When you arrive at your next destination, deposit this bill in any bank and you’ll be able to live quite comfortably for the next six months.” She leaned back in her chair. “The amount is more than generous. Just take the money and go.”

Margot’s eyes blazed. “Don’t even consider trying for some kind of petty retribution. Trust me; it would be a big mistake on your part.”

Giles leaned forward. “I urge you to listen to her.” He crossed his arms. “You’ve never been welcome here. Buffy will be quite upset if you don’t leave Sunnydale immediately and I shall relish being the one to tell her.”

Ethan looked from one to the other. “Watchers and Slayers working with Wizards again. My, my, a new age of enlightenment has truly begun. Well, I guess I can’t say that I haven’t done my share of interesting spells to other people in my day.” He smirked at Giles. “Isn’t that true Rupert?”

Tucking the bill into his pocket, he stood up. “Well, Margot dear, I hope you’ll forgive me if I don’t say that our relationship has been a pleasure.”

He turned to leave. “Oh, by the way, I heard from an informant that the Gashi Chieftain was murdered earlier tonight by the Thesa Overlord and his Clan is in ruins. I thought you might like to know, just for old time’s sake.

Good-bye Successor, I’m so sorry that I can’t remain for your installation, but I’ve got a bank to locate. No need to see me out. Rupert, but do tell the Slayer good bye for me.”

*****


“Here Claire, let me help you with that.” Drake lifted the logs and carefully stacked them in the fireplace.

“Thanks, Drake.” She perched on the edge of the overstuffed chair in front of the hearth. “I wish we could get rid of these chairs, they really don’t serve the purpose at all.”

She watched while he lit the fire and replaced the screen. “Did you notice that Mr. Giles and mom are in a relationship? I think they’re sleeping together.”

He turned around and frowned. “So what? You make it sound like it’s a bad thing.”

“No, I didn’t mean for it to sound so blunt. I guess I’m just surprised.”

Drake sat in the other chair and searched Claire’s face; she was telling the truth, she didn’t look upset at all.

“So you don’t think it’s going to be a problem for her?”

Claire looked confused. “In what way?”

“Because she’s an Imperial Wizard and he’s a Watcher; they don’t usually do even the most rudimentary spells.”

She leaned back in the chair and sighed. “Drake, it doesn’t matter what they are or aren’t, as long as they love each other. You need to poke the fire, it’s not catching right.”

He got up and moved the screen again. “So you really believe that wizards can be happy loving people who aren’t involved in the art?”

Claire frowned. “Of course. Love knows no boundaries.”

Drake beamed. “That’s really great. I never knew you thought like that.”

“Well, I guess the subject’s never come up before.” She watched him replace the screen and flop into the chair again. He was so eccentric sometimes- she figured it was the musician in him- and she suddenly realized how much she’d missed that.

“Why do you care what I think?”

“No reason. Did I mention we’re playing at the Bronze again next weekend? Would you come and hear us? I’ve written a new song that I’d like for you to hear.”

“I’d love to hear your new song, Drake, I love your voice. Actually, I’ve been thinking about not returning to New York for awhile. Mom’s going to be so busy with her new position and someone needs to be around for Kyle.”

“Oh, that’s great Claire. It’ll be so awesome to see you more often.”

She smiled at him. “Yeah, we haven’t been able to spend much time together lately and I’ve really missed it. I’ve really missed you.”

“I’ve really missed you too.”


*****

The demons were gaining; farther back in the tunnel, Kyle could hear their footsteps hitting the ground, moving closer and closer. His heart was hammering and he knew he wouldn’t be able to run much farther, even though he hadn’t seen anyone else. His great last ditch effort was becoming an utter failure.

Or was it? Farther up ahead, he could almost make out something approaching. Praying that some of the demons hadn’t somehow circled around, Kyle summoned his last bit of strength and pushed himself, forcing out one final burst of speed.

And ran right to the Slayer. “Oh Goddess, Buffy.” He moaned and collapsed in a heap at her feet. “They’re right behind me,” he managed to gasp and then nearly passed out.

Cool strong hands lifted him up and a British voice drawled, “Don’t worry Junior Wizard, the Slayer and I will make sure they slow down.”

Spike!

He carried Kyle to the wall and left him sitting in the shadows. “You can catch your breath now, which is never a problem for me,” the vampire joked. He touched the teen on the shoulder and turned back to Buffy. “I can hear four headin’ this way Slayer.”

Buffy moved a little left of center, planted her feet and lifted the cross bow to sight down the tunnel. “Four. Got it.”

Kyle watched Spike walk over and stand next to her. She cut her eyes over to the vampire. “So what are you gonna be doing while I shoot them full of arrows?”

He snorted. “With that half busted bow? You’ll be lucky to take down one. So that’ll leave three for me.”

“Ha. You and that bent sword take out three? Never gonna happen.”

“Well, I was plannin’ to use the first one to straighten’ out my sword.” Spike brandished the sword and grinned at the Slayer while she rolled her eyes.

“Not going to work, they’re too soft.”

Kyle watched the blonde couple casually quipping back and forth while they stood confidently awaiting the demons. They’re incredible, they actually love this stuff.

For the first time since he’d been kidnapped, Kyle felt hope blossom again. Buffy and Spike were true warriors and they’d never let the demons take him again. He settled back to watch the show.

The first demon, running ahead of the other three, saw the Slayer and tried to slide to a stop. Buffy loosed her arrow and hit him on the left side of the chest. She watched him clutch his chest and fall while she complained, “Darn, this bow is gonna need some serious work. That was supposed to hit dead center.”

Spike, engaged with the demon that had been running right behind Buffy’s, swung his sword and called, “I told you so, Slayer.”

Kyle watched avidly as the vampire ducked a strike from the Gashi’s sword, quickly slid to the side and struck the demon through the middle of its back. It collapsed in a heap on the floor. He smirked at the Slayer. “That move never gets old.” He glanced down at his sword and frowned. “Bollocks. My sword’s still bent.”

“I told you they’d be too soft.” Buffy retorted as she dropped her broken bow and engaged the third demon with her own sword. She and the demon parried back and forth across the narrow tunnel, until the Slayer bumped up against Spike’s dead demon.

The Slayer had no where else to move and Kyle held his breath. Buffy improvised rapidly, leaping onto the dead demon and using the added height to somersault above her enemy. She struck down and across with her blade, easily severing its head while she crossed above it, executing a perfect back flip. Kyle exhaled audibly. That was so cool, she even stuck her landing.

He turned back to watch Spike fight the last demon. Disgusted with his useless weapon, the vampire had pitched it aside and was circling the demon Kyle recognized as his jailer when it tried to stab Spike in the heart with the sharpened cane.

Agitated, Kyle looked around. Where’s Buffy? Spike doesn’t even have a weapon anymore, why isn’t she helping?

The Slayer was casually leaning against the opposite wall, her arms crossed. He finally noticed her when she called out, “Spike, quit playing around with your food and let’s get moving. I’m ready to go now.”

Fascinated, Kyle watched as Spike’s face changed, the bones elongating and his forehead becoming ridged. Golden eyes gleamed at the Gashi still trying to stab him with the cane.

The vampire grinned toothily and called out, “I’ll be there in a tick, pet.”

He danced closer to the demon. “Sorry, mate, but it’s rude to keep a beautiful lady waiting.” He caught the pole and yanked hard. Off balance, the demon slid forward. Still holding the cane, Spike twisted, forcing the demon into a 180 degree turn.

With the demon’s back to him now, the vampire leaped up gracefully and broke the demon’s neck, the snap echoing audibly all the way to Kyle. Wow.

The young teen watched Spike shift back to his human face as he sauntered over to the Slayer, duster flapping around his legs. At that moment, Kyle decided that Spike was the coolest guy he’d ever seen in his entire life.

Kyle’s eyes widened as the vamp reached the Slayer, pulled her into a tight embrace and kissed her deeply. His breath caught when she wrapped her arms around him in response.

They’re both so much more awesome than anyone in a comic book or on television.


*****

“Well, I think that’s everyone on the list, mom.” Claire leaned back in the chair and exhaled. “Your installation will be the day after tomorrow at 6:00.”

Margot turned a worried face to Giles sitting across the room talking quietly with Drake. “I can’t help wondering what’s happened to Buffy and Spike.” She held herself tighter. “And Kyle.”

“Mom!!!” Kyle came rushing through the door, followed by Buffy and Spike. The vampire smiled at the Slayer. “Couldn’t have asked for better timing for our entrance, could we pet?”

Watching the teen hang on his mom while she cried, Buffy shook her head. “No, that was definitely perfect.”

After a few moments, Margot wiped her eyes and smiled at her son. “It’s so good to see you, Kyle.” She turned to the blonde couple standing in the doorway. “Thank you both so much. There just aren’t any words for this.”

Buffy lifted her chin. “Just do the spell from the Grimoire so I can have a couple days off and we’re even.”

“Buffy and Spike explained about dad’s Grimoire on the way back.” Kyle reached in his shirt. “Here Mom, I never gave that dumb demon any information out of it either.”

Margot looked into her son’s eyes. “Kyle, I never expected any of this to happen to you and I’m so sorry that it did, but I’m very proud of the way you’ve handled yourself through it all. When everything calms down again, you and I will sit down and talk about your dad and look through the book together.”

She glanced over to Claire. “Right now, Claire and I need to translate the counter spell. Rupert, would you mind fixing something for us all to eat?”

Giles stood up. “Drake? Would you mind helping me?”

“If you don’t mind me skippin’ on the culinary artistry that I really don’t need anyway, I’m knackered and I’d like to get some kip.” Spike started for the stairs.

The vamp did look really tired Giles thought and started to agree when Buffy spoke up. “Actually, I’d like a bath more than any food. Giles, I’m going upstairs, too. Don’t wait on me either.”

“Fine. We’ll see you both later.”

Kyle trailed behind Giles and Drake toward the kitchen. “Drake, wait until I tell you about the demon battle that I watched when I got rescued. Buffy and Spike were so awesome.”

“Really? What happened?”

Kyle started regaling everyone with a play-by-play version, starting with his own capture. Everyone quickly became engrossed in the tale and when Margot joined them at the kitchen table, she was relieved to discover that everything that had happened to Kyle was already being absorbed and turned into an adventure. She knew then that he would be fine. Encouraging him to finish the story, she said, “So then what happened?”

After swallowing an enormous bite of his western omelet, Kyle looked up to see everyone hanging on his words. Swelling up with pride at being the center of attention, he completed his account.

“So then, after Spike threw down his sword- remember I said it was broken?- and after he killed that last demon without even a weapon - which was the one that I told you was poking me with that pointed cane- Spike strolled over to the Slayer. Drake? You remember that movie we saw last summer where the superhero walked so cool?”

He paused until Drake nodded his head and then he continued. “Well, that’s just how Spike looked. He sauntered over to the Slayer, really nonchalant-like, pulled her close and kissed her just like the superhero always does at the end of all the movies. That’s when I knew the battle was really over.”

Giles, startled, stopped with his forkful of omelet poised inches from his mouth. “I’m sorry, but I think I missed something. What did you just say, Kyle?”

Kyle obediently repeated the last portion of his story, ending with, “and then Buffy wrapped her arms around him and kissed him back.” The teen smirked. “It was so hot. Way better than any movie kiss I’ve ever seen.”

Everyone at the table laughed except the Watcher. Giles dropped his fork and pushed back his chair. “If you’ll excuse me, I think I need to speak with Buffy.”

Margot laid a restraining hand on his arm and said gently, “Rupert, I know this probably comes as a bit of a shock, but your Slayer is a grown woman. Surely she deserves the same privacy, not to mention respect that you and I would expect from her?”

Giles realized that everyone at the table was staring at him. He sat back down slowly and rubbed his face. “I’m not sure what to say. I didn’t realize anything was going on between them.” That’s not entirely true; you know that you’ve been wondering what secret they’ve been keeping from you.

Margot smiled gently at the obviously discomfited man at her side. “I think I have a perspective on this that you can’t achieve; you’re too close to the situation. Spike is really good for her. I know that it’s hard to understand how two people from such different worlds could manage to overcome what must seem like insurmountable obstacles, but it does happen sometimes, doesn’t it?”

Reluctantly, he nodded. “Yes, I guess it does happen occasionally.”

“There is one other thing that no one has mentioned, although I’m sure everyone has thought it.” Margot clasped her hands. “Since I’m the one most uniquely qualified to understand, I’ll say it. Frankly, Rupert, she has a short life span. Let her enjoy it.”

He sighed. “I guess I’m just going to have to get used to the idea of Buffy and Spike together.”

Margot grinned. “I think that’s a given.”

Standing up, she motioned to Claire. “If you gentlemen will excuse us, we need to prepare for the spell.”

*****

Buffy and Spike left the room seconds apart, but each step they took pulled the couple closer until by the time they’d reached the top of the second landing, they were practically melded together.

They arrived in front of Spike’s door and Buffy turned around. Placing her arms around his shoulders, she asked coyly, “You’re not really that sleepy are you?”

Spike ran a finger lightly down her arm. “What do you think? But please tell me that you really want that bath. The thought of you and me in that big old fashioned tub has starred prominently in my fantasies ever since I first saw it.”

“Oh yeah, a bath would definitely be of the good.” She tugged him gently toward the door. “I noticed a nice bottle of bubble bath in there, too.”

Allowing himself to be pulled through the door, he asked suspiciously. “I like bubbles as much as the next male would in this situation, but exactly what fragrance are we talkin’ about here?”

“Umm, I think its French Lilac.”

“Lilac? Why couldn’t it have been somethin’ a little more manly like wild cherry or maybe lemon?”

“Lilac can be manly.”

Spike watched Buffy lean across the tub to twist the tap and his eyes glazed over.

“Whatever you say, luv.” He reached over and locked the door.