Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the last of the story. Hope you guys enjoyed the ride.
Chapter 20

Set Myself in Fire

“Here’s the milk thistle.” Giles laid the herb on the table next to the mortar and pestle in front of Claire. “You certainly have an extensive stock of herbs, although I suppose one should expect that in a wizard’s home.”

“Thanks.” She read over the list again. “Where’s Drake? Is he back yet? What a hassle that the spell calls for fresh allium moly.” She shrugged. “Guess I wasted my time drying so much of it last spring.”

“Drake hasn’t returned yet from the herbalist. Do you think I should check on Margot?”

“No, she’s fine. While you were off looking for this, she announced that she wanted some time alone to meditate before the spell.” Claire smiled. “Don’t worry, she’ll be fine. My father would never have conceived a counter spell that would harm her.”

She scanned the page and muttered. “We’re still missing bishop’s weed and yarrow. Rupert, they’re both out in the drying shed.”

The Watcher nodded. “I’ll get them.”

Claire stared down at the translated page and frowned. The counter spell was actually a little dicier than she and her mom had told the others. The spell itself seemed solid, Claire wasn’t lying about that, but it called for Hellmouth energy as a key ingredient.

Translating the spell, she and her mother had come to the same conclusion. For the spell to be effective, it required Margot to channel some of the dark energy.

So instead of repelling or even restraining the energy, Margot would need to embrace it. She would have to allow the energy to run through her and then command it to leave and that would hopefully give back her resistance and control during the Installation.

Claire shook her head wryly. Because considering an inoculation of Hellmouth energy to be on the same level as a flu shot is just such an every day occurrence.

Goddess, we live a weird life. I wonder what it would be like to be a normal average person, even for just one day?

She envied Drake and his music.



*****

“Spike, I just can’t wait much longer.” Buffy’s voice was breathy, urgent.

He trailed his tongue along her bare shoulder, listened to her slight moan, and murmured playfully, “Haven’t you ever heard the expression ‘good things come to those who wait?’”

Buffy sighed and reached for him. “I don’t like to wait for the things I want.”

“Then this is good practice for you.” He gently pushed her hands down. “Buffy, do you trust me?’ He planted tiny kisses along her neck.

“Of course I trust you.”

“Then let me take my time, do this my way and I promise it’ll be worth it.” He lightly bit her bare shoulder and she shuddered in response.

Whispering, she asked, “Where ever did you learn this?”

“It’s called a century of experience, luv.” He pulled back. “Done.”

He passed her the hand mirror with a flourish. “My lady.”

Buffy held up the mirror and examined her hair critically. “You’re right, that’s the most professional French braid I’ve ever had.” She beamed at him. “It looks fantastic.”

He shrugged, secretly delighted at her response. “I’ve got talented hands.”

Her eyes darkened and she replied, “Yeah, you definitely do.” She kissed him and murmured, “It felt great when you washed and brushed my hair, too, quite the turn on.”

Spike smiled at her fondly. “Anytime, pet, I love your hair.” Standing up to light a cigarette, he gazed at his Slayer, naked except for the pair of black bikini panties, sitting in the middle of his-no, theirs now- rumpled bed staring into the mirror and carefully touching her blonde hair.

Even if I am a demon, I’ve died and somehow managed to get into heaven. There’s just no other explanation for this scene.

Buffy set the mirror down and crooked her little finger, beckoning the gorgeous naked vampire back to her side. God, I’m the luckiest woman in the world.

Spike extinguished his cigarette and sat down next to her. Staring into her eyes, he growled, “You’re still being impatient, Slayer. I hadn’t finished my cigarette. Don’t call me back unless you mean it.”

She smiled and trailed her finger lightly down his chest. “Oh, I meant it alright.” She squealed when he pushed her back down to the sheets. “Wait, what about my hair?”

“If you let me have my way with you woman, I promise to repair any damage.”

“Oooh, can you do an upsweep too? That would be perfect for Margot’s Installation.”

Spike reached for her. “It’s a good thing I’m so secure in my masculinity.”


*****


“Margot? Are you awake?” Giles knocked lightly on the bedroom door. Not receiving any response he quietly opened it. “We’ve got everything ready for the counter spell.”

Margot, wearing a velvet robe, sat at her dressing table staring into space. When he crossed the room to stand by her, she tilted a tear streaked face. “It’s time already?”

Giles touched her arm and asked gently, “What’s wrong? Has something happened?”

She tried to smile. “Just when I think I’ve got a handle on my past, it comes back again and hits me on the head. Or should I say in the heart?”

She pointed at the Grimoire sitting on the table. Giles glanced at the book and noticed two pages had been removed and placed to the side.

“It’s a letter to me from John. When I used his unlock incantation earlier today, it appeared.”

She started to cry. “The Gashi threw him in a room and tortured him off and on for two days. Evidently, they didn’t consider the Grimoire important, so John had access right up to the end.”

Giles gathered her in his arms. “Oh Margot, I’m so sorry.” He held her tightly until the sobbing stopped. “I know the sudden shock makes this very hard, but you’ve actually received an incredible gift.”

She reached for a tissue. “What do you mean?”

Giles smiled softly. “You’ve been given the chance to hear him say goodbye.”

At her thoughtful nod, he added, “I’m going to go back down now and tell the others that you’ll be ready in an hour or so. Would that be alright?”

“That will be fine. I just need to get dressed.” She watched him walk toward the door. “Rupert?”

He turned back to her, his hand still on the knob. “Yes?”

“Thank you.”

“I’ll see you downstairs.” He quietly shut the door.

When she heard the door shut, Margot picked up the letter. She carefully placed it back inside the Grimoire and shut the book.

*****


An hour later, Spike and Buffy wandered into the kitchen. Drake was making coffee, filling the carafe with water from the tap. He watched the couple enter the room and head for the refrigerator. “There’s stuff for sandwiches if you’re hungry.”

Buffy opened the fridge. “I’m starving.” She rummaged for another minute. “Here’s some blood for you Spike.” She smiled at him when his hand brushed hers.

“Thanks, luv.”

“Worked up an appetite huh?” Claire strolled into the kitchen and smirked at the pair.

Buffy blushed, but Spike just grinned. “Takes a lot of energy to save the world, or in this case, one really feisty kid.”

“Yeah, it takes energy for all sorts of activities.” She reached for a coffee cup. “By the way, if you ever want to have any secrets in this house, you might want to reconsider macking in front of Kyle.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “What do you mean?”

Claire poured her coffee and replied, “Well, while you two were upstairs taking baths and resting, all of us, including Buffy’s Watcher, were being subjected to a blow-by-blow description of all the actions performed to save said kid.”

She grinned. “And I do mean all the actions.” She stared over the rim of her cup at Spike. “You’ve got quite the fan in Kyle. He thinks you’re a genuinely awesome hero.” She smirked. “And everyone knows the hero always kisses the girl.”

Spike chuckled, “What can I say? We hero types are like that. Aren’t we, luv?” he turned to Buffy.

The Slayer was standing shock still. “Oh no, Spike. That means Giles knows.”

“So? It was bound to come out sooner or later. You’d already decided to tell him yourself. ” He turned back to the wizard. “How did Rupes take it?”

Drake joined the conversation. “At first he wasn’t too keen on you guys being together. But Margot talked to him and he finally agreed that it really wasn’t his place to agree or disagree on your personal relationships.”

Buffy exhaled. “Oh, that’s good. I need to thank her for running interference for me.”

“Buffy, is that you?” Giles appeared in the doorway.

Speak of the devil. “Yes Giles?”

“I thought I heard your voice. We’re going to do the incantation in the dining room and I need you and Spike to remove the table and chairs, so we have plenty of room.”

She nodded. “Sure, no problem.”

He noticed the food in her hands. “After you eat of course.”

“Okay, we’ll be there in a few minutes.”

He turned and left the kitchen.

“Well, I guess in Rupert’s mind, agreein’ with the relationship means completely ignorin’ it.”

“It could definitely be much, much worse.” She started putting her sandwich together. “We’d better hurry, though, no reason to make him any more upset.”

Drake spoke up. “I wouldn’t worry about him, at some point he’ll come around completely, everyone does. I’ll go start moving the chairs. We’ll just need you guys for that enormous mahogany table. I don’t think all of us together could lift it, but for you two, it’ll be a piece of cake.” He walked out whistling.

Claire stood there staring after him. “You know, he’s been in an uncommonly good mood for two days.” She raised an eyebrow in Buffy’s direction. “Men are so odd.” She followed him out.

*****


Margot, holding her staff in her right hand, stood ringed by several lit white pillar candles and the herbs which had been placed in their proper locations according to the directions within the Grimoire. She raised her left hand and began the incantation.

Spike and Buffy held hands, standing around the circle with everyone watching the wizard call the dark energy.

Buffy knew the instant that Hellmouth energy breeched the sanctuary of the house. Pushing freely past the protection wards, the temperature inside plummeted.

At the same moment a thick swirling yellow- green mist appeared. Flowing into the room, it slowly twinned sinuously around each person in turn, leaving the Slayer for last.

Gliding around the Slayer, it felt like thousands of tiny pinpricks across her skin. She gasped and felt Spike tighten his hold.

Instinctively, Buffy knew that it craved her. Deep inside, she could hear an insistent voice beckon her. The mist stayed, swirling around her for several long moments before reluctantly moving to obey the wizard’s summons.

It wound slowly around the outside of the circle, buffeting the candles. They flickered, throwing ghostly caricatures of each person across the walls.

The gas lamps in the room died, plunging the room further into darkness. Buffy squinted, it was difficult now to see the wizard because she had become completely enveloped within the mist.

The Slayer could still hear Margot’s composed voice, never wavering, as she continued the slow and rhythmic incantation. The mist coalesced tightly around her, coiling like some great, evil boa constrictor.

Buffy glanced in Spike’s direction. He had unconsciously vamped, watching the proceedings through narrowed golden eyes.

Staring through the flickering candle light, Buffy concentrated on locating the others. She saw Giles first, directly across the circle from her. He appeared frozen, arms crossed, eyes on Margot, jaw locked. He grimaced as if in pain.

On Giles’ left stood Drake. Holding Kyle’s hand tightly, he was moving farther away from the circle, insistently pulling the teen with him.

Claire, on the other side of Buffy, had her eyes focused intently on her mom. She straightened her shoulders, stepping deliberately toward the circle. Buffy reached for her. Her mouth dry, she whispered, “No, Claire. It doesn’t want you.”

It was at that moment Buffy saw the Hellmouth energy enter Margot’s body. The wizard shuddered as her pupils dilated, her eyes changing from light blue to jet black.

Margot’s body twisted at a nearly impossible angle. Throwing her head back, the wizard slanted her mouth in a rictus, reminding Buffy of a walking cadaver.

Or a marionette with someone holding the strings too tightly.

Claire tugged at Buffy’s arm. “Let me go. It’s too strong; it’s going to kill her.” She pulled toward the circle, but Buffy held her tightly. “You can’t go in there; it could kill you, too.”

She cast a frantic look in the circle. “We’ve got to stop it.”

Buffy spoke urgently. “How?”

“We need to get the staff. That will allow me to raise the wards again and expel the energy from the house.”

Buffy nodded. “I’ll do it.”

“Slayer, wait.” Spike held her hand tightly. “I could feel it. It wants you. If you go into that circle, you could become as lost as the wizard.”

“If I don’t go, the Hellmouth will continue to control Margot. Then we’ve got an even more serious problem.”

Claire looked determined. “I need to do it. I’m the only one that can say the incantation.”

Spike looked equally determined. “All right, but I’ll go in there with you.”

Buffy opened her mouth to protest and he shook his head. “I’m a demon, Slayer. It doesn’t want me. It already owns a part of me.”

He turned to Claire. “I’ll distract it and you grab the staff.”

Buffy held his arm. “That won’t work, Spike. You said yourself it already owns a piece of you. I’m the one that it really wants in this room. So same plan, different bait.”

He exhaled, frustrated. “Now you come up with a bloody plan?”

Suddenly, they saw Margot stiffen. She held the staff in the air and spoke loudly. “I expel thee, that which inhabits my body. Leave now. I am not for you. I order you to return to your rightful place. ”

The mist flowed from her body, swirling around within the enclosed circle. The wizard brought the staff down and broke it into two pieces while speaking the second portion of the incantation.

The mist disappeared instantly. Margot dropped the pieces and looked over at the three staring with open mouths. She grinned. “Thought I was a goner, huh?”

She took one step forward and fainted.



*****


“I’m going to need a new staff before the installation.” Margot’s voice was rueful. “I didn’t think I’d have to go that far.” She was lying in bed, mainly due to Giles’ insistence.

“We’ll find something before then. Claire’s out scouting for one now. If necessary, you can always use your father’s; it’s still in the study.” He touched her arm. “How are you feeling?”

“As I’ve said the last two times you’ve asked me, I feel perfectly fine.” She smiled at the man sitting anxiously at her side. “I really scared you guys didn’t I? I could hear everything going on around me, I was just sort of shut into a little compartment inside myself, waiting for the right time. Although I have to admit, there were a couple moments there when I thought I was going to have to get a jackhammer out to open the compartment.”

She placed her hand on his. “It’s wonderful to know that I’ve got such caring and strong people surrounding me. I’ve never had that before.”

She glanced around. “Speaking of which, where are all the caring people?”

“Well, as I said, Claire’s out searching for a suitable staff, Kyle’s asleep, Drake’s at band practice and I sent Buffy and Spike out to patrol. I want to make sure all this activity around the Hellmouth hasn’t awakened anything untoward.”

“So we’re alone?”

“Actually, yes.”

“Good. I need a shower desperately. How would a certain Watcher like to further relations between the sides and help a tired wizard scrub her back?”

“I think that can be arranged. All for the common good of course.”

“Of course.”


*****
“What a nice night.” Buffy avoided a sunken footstone in the old cemetery.

“We’ve been through four different cemeteries in as many hours and not a single vamp or demon lurkin’ anywhere.”

“Well, I for one, call a rest break.” She hopped up on a headstone and patted the spot next to her.

Spike pulled out a cigarette, lit it and jumped up beside her.

“It really is a clear night. The stars are so bright.”

“Yeah, that’s one thing about an old cemetery, no light pollution.”

She stared above her. “Which one is Pluto?”

“You can’t see Pluto from here.”

“Why not?”

“It’s too far away.”

“But I thought you said it moved.”

Spike pointed to a cluster of stars. “Don’t worry about the wannabe, Slayer. See that constellation over there? You’ll like that much better. It’s called Orion, the hunter.”

“The one with those three stars in a row?”

“Uh huh. That’s Orion’s belt, from which those-” Spike pointed again-“make up his sword.”

He glanced over at Buffy. She was staring at the sky in fascination.

Smiling, he warmed to his subject. “Those stars over there? That’s Rigel, Betelgeuse and Sirius.”

“How do you know so much about astronomy?” Buffy’s voice was impressed.

Spike shrugged. “I’ve spent over a century outside at night, not all of it was fighting. It’s an interestin’ subject, especially when it’s combined with mythology.”

“Tell me more about Orion.”

“He’s a strong hunter like you. The ancient Greeks believed that he stood next to the river Eridanus with his two dogs Canis Major and Canis Minor.” Spike pointed to each star as he named it.

Buffy shook her head. “I would never hunt with dogs. Too iffy, they’d most likely get eaten. So you’ll have to be Orion.” She smiled. “But you’ll need to get your sword fixed first.”

She looked at the chuckling vampire. Tonight in the moonlight he’s not a marble statue, instead he’s become my own Greek God.

Spike in turn stared at his beautiful Slayer, nodding at her joking proposal. I would agree to anything, be anything for you. “Okay, I’m Orion.”

“But then who can I be?” She pretended to pout. “No, don’t even go there. I will not be the radio logo or that beetle juice guy in the stripes.”

Spike touched her face. “Oh no, if I was to choose someone from Greek mythology for you Slayer, it would have to be Artemus. She was a daughter of Zeus, king of the gods and the Goddess of the hunt.” Just as you will always be my Goddess, strong and beautiful.

She moved closer to him. “Dogs?”

He put his arm around her. “Bow and arrow.”

Buffy leaned against him. “She sounds like a good hunter.”

“An excellent hunter, very smart and very beautiful.” He turned toward her and murmured. “And her hunting companion was always Orion.”

He kissed her for a long time underneath the bright stars.

Epilogue

Shine On

One week later

“Buffy, hi.”

The Slayer looked up. “Hi Claire. How are you? I haven’t seen you since your mom’s Installation.”

“Yeah, I’ve been busy trying to move my stuff back home. I’ve had to fly to New York twice now. So what have you been up to?

“Just the usual, slaying and hanging out. Would you like to sit down?”

“Sure. I honestly don’t know anyone here except you and Drake. He made me promise to come and listen to his band tonight and he mentioned that you and Spike would be here.”

“Yeah, his band is really good.”

“My mom wanted me to give this to you.” She held out a small ring box and a folded piece of note paper.

Buffy lifted the top. Nestled inside was a small ring set with an unusual stone.

“What is it?”

Claire smiled softly. “It’s the granting of your boon from the Imperial Wizard.”

Buffy opened the folded paper and read the note.

Dear Buffy,
I’m sorry that I couldn’t give this to you sooner, but I needed to make absolutely sure there wasn’t any residual effects from my little Hellmouth adventure before I crafted it.

Give this ring to your mother; it will automatically adjust to any finger. Make absolutely sure she wears it every day, never removing it, for two weeks.

During that time, she’ll notice the stone becoming progressively darker. Once the two weeks are up, the stone will be a dull brown. At that point throw the ring into any fire.

I lost my mom young; I won’t let it happen to you and your sister.

Thank you so much for everything that you’ve done for me and my family.

Much love,

Margot Chaplaine


“I’m not sure what to say. Please tell her thank you.”

“It’s okay; we both understand how important this is to you. Listen, do you care if I change my mind? I think I’m going backstage instead. I haven’t seen my brother for a week.”

“No I don’t mind at all. Have fun. Claire?”

“Yeah?”

“He’s really not your brother, you know.”

“Yeah, I’ve started to realize that lately. See you around Slayer.”

“Bye, Claire.”

She had just vacated the seat when a familiar hand lightly touched her shoulder. “Hello pet.”

“Spike, where were you? We were supposed to meet twenty minutes ago.” She looked up and realized the vampire was still standing. “Aren’t you going to sit down?”

“Actually, pet, I was wondering if you’d come with me instead.”

“Where are we going?”

“Bloody hell, Summers, can’t a bloke ask you outside without the third degree?”

“Usually when a bloke asks me outside, it’s for unpleasant reasons, like attempted murder.” She stood up. “This better be good, Spike. This is a new dress.”

“You look gorgeous. I told you the black dress suited you better.”

“So where are we going?”

“What part ofoutside did you misunderstand?” He held the door open for her. “Over here, Slayer.”

“It’s your car. Big surprise. I say again, where are we going?”

He held the door open for her. “Come on.”

Ten minutes later they pulled up to the old cemetery.

“There is absolutely no way I’m going to slay in this dress.”

“No slayin’ tonight.”

Spike coaxed her into the middle of the cemetery and Buffy’s breath caught.

Spread out between two of the headstones was a blanket, a picnic basket, candles, wine and even flowers in a straw basket.

“I thought we could have a midnight picnic out here.” Spike’s voice was gruff. “I can’t take you on a proper picnic during the day.”

“Oh Spike, it’s wonderful.”

“Here, let me open the wine.”

“What’s that other stuff over there?”

“It’s a telescope and a book on astronomy. I thought I’d show you some more constellations.”

“Will I be able to see Pluto with the telescope?”

“For the last time, forget about bloody Pluto. Here, have some dinner.”

“Do you have any ketchup?”

“Here’s the ketchup.”

“Spike, can we see Mars later?”

“Sure, I can show you Mars.”

“What about that sea planet, Neptune?”

“It’s not really a water planet, but yeah, I think I can find it with the telescope.”

“Then why can’t you set it for Pluto?”


The End