Author's Chapter Notes:
I want to say thank you very, very much to the readers from the bottom of my heart. It really knocked me over to see so many people welcome me back so warmly, many familiar people whom I’ve missed and even some new ones which thrills me. So here’s chapter 2 of ML. I’m posting now because it helps push the story a bit further along so we can get to the good stuff, *winks*. Since it’s the shortest chapter of out of all the others I’ve prepared, I’ll update again soon, I promise, and I do hope you all enjoy it. Thanks to mi hermana Dusty273 and my darling Sotia for all their help, suggestions and edits, many, many thanks - smooches.
Monday morning.........

This was going to be the best day ever; she could feel it in her blood. She had a great night’s sleep, an awesome cup of pumpkin spice flavored coffee, decided to wear one of the new outfits she’d purchased over the weekend and her hair couldn’t have turned out more perfect if she’d gone to the salon. With a bounce in her step and a bright smile, Buffy waltzed over to her desk and settled down to take a look at her schedule, knowing her upcoming promotion was going to fill her agenda with new and exciting responsibilities. Maybe she’d even take a vacation this year considering the last time she went to see her friends back home wa…

“Miss Summers, may I see you for a moment in my office please?”

The voice she’d inadvertently been waiting to hear snapped her out of her daydreaming. “Certainly, Mr. Snyder.”

Cordelia, a friend and fellow sales agent, poked her head over the makeshift wall that separated their cubicles to give her a thumb’s up as soon as he was out of sight.

“You know you got the job and to celebrate, you’re so buying me lunch today since you’re the one getting a raise!” Yes, she envied her co-worker, but Buffy truly deserved the position. They’d both came on board around the same time and risen the ranks together, but Buffy had the head for it and quickly became the senior agent.

“Here’s hoping,” Buffy replied modestly though she was giddy with excitement as she took off to catch up with the short, balding man who rarely smiled. He was the head of Human Resources and all about business, much like herself, which was the only reason they got along as well as they did… on a professional level anyway.

In his office, he motioned for her to take a seat after closing the door then proceeded to sit down himself. She suppressed the giggle that tried to escape when she saw how tiny he appeared behind his huge desk. He reminded her so much of a little kid whose head just barely peeked above a steering wheel that she wanted to offer him a phone book to sit on, or maybe a booster seat. He drummed his fingers on top of a notepad, wearing the usual grim look she’d grown accustomed to before finally looking her directly in the eyes.

“Elizabeth,” he started.

And her heart sank. This couldn’t be good. He never called her by her first name. Then again, maybe it was his way of seeing her in a new position of more power.

“As you know, Liam O’Connor’s first priority is to see to the continued success of this company…. by any means necessary.”

Yes, she knew that. She’d only met him once, but his reputation as an aggressive businessman preceded him.

Six months ago when O’Connor Enterprises, a multimedia conglomerate based out of London, purchased MDIG, there was panic concerning the company being restructured and people losing their jobs. Luckily, this didn’t happen. Most departments were expanded and more people were either hired or transferred in from headquarters to help in the expansion he had planned for the company.

“In saying that, I can assume you will continue to do your very best here at MDIG?”

“Yes, sir.” Why wouldn’t she? He, of all people, knew her work ethic, how late she stayed, how many times she’d…

“Great. Because I have good news for you.”

Squee! I got the job! Buffy’d been pretty sure she would, but actually hearing it would be like music to her ears.

“You’ll be taking on more responsibility, but I think you’ll be pleased.”

Yes, yes, go on.

“As the senior agent in your department, Mr. O’Connor has created a new position for you... as head of sales and assistant to the new vice president of sales.”

“What?” Be kind, rewind. She didn’t just hear him say that, right?

“Although I recommended you for the job, it seems Mr. O’Connor already had someone in mind he’s sending in to fill the position.”

She felt the blood rise to burn her cheeks but held her tongue. By all rights, she was more than qualified, had put in more than enough time, had way more knowledge of all the company’s contacts, their competitors, you name it. So why on earth would O’Connor bring someone from outside the company? Then she remembered the time she’d met him… and shuddered. It was at the company Christmas party, just last month.

He was a good looking man for his age, divorced, extremely rich and had plenty of women flocking around him, more than likely due to the ‘rich and single factor’. She observed his flirtatious behavior with utter disgust and did her best to avoid him, but he was intent on greeting all of the employees since he’d flown over from London for the occasion. By the time he’d found her, he was well on his way to being drunk and made a none-too-subtle pass at her. As politely as possible, she declined and made a hasty exit for the bathroom, but she could see he was offended at her refusal. Now it made her wonder if he remembered the incident despite his inebriated state and if that was the reason he’d chosen someone else to be the new VP. If it was, it was more than wrong, it was immoral. Bastard!

“I see.” She tried to withhold the disappointment from her voice but Snyder noticed it anyway.

“I know you were counting on getting the job, that’s why after Mr. O’Connor informed me of his decision, I suggested that your qualifications could be put to better use by assisting our new VP. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get him to agree to a pay raise for you, but hopefully you’ll acquire more accounts through your new role and I’m sure the commissions you’ll earn will more than make up for it.”

“And how much extra work will I be doing aside from my own?” As if she didn’t have enough on her plate to keep her busy already.

“I can’t say specifically. It’s whatever your new boss needs you to do. Now, as head of sales, every agent will report to you and you’ll be responsible for assimilating their progress, keeping your boss informed and assisting him in handling the account load as a whole within the department. In effect...”

Yadda, yadda, yadda! She half-listened as Snyder rambled, the only thing running through her mind was that she hadn’t gotten the job. The one she wanted, worked hard for, deserved, and panic set in as she realized she needed it in order to keep her new apartment. “I appreciate you going up to bat for me, I really do bu-”

“Be thankful, Miss Summers,” he said sternly. “Mr. O’Connor could have said no to my suggestion and you’d remain right where you are.”

“I… I. Of course. It’s not that I don’t appreci-“

“That’s the spirit.” He cut her off and stood. “Now. Let’s go so I can introduce you to the new Vice President.”

This was beyond unjust. Not only would she have to work twice as hard, earning the same salary as she did now, but would have to report to the man that robbed her of the position that by all rights should’ve been hers.

She followed him down the hall and past all the cubicles of her fellow associates, shaking her head ‘no’ when Cordy caught her eye. When her friend mouthed ‘sorry’, Buffy tried to act nonchalant, shrugging casually as if her future hadn’t just taken a kick in the ass.

“I met him briefly this morning as he was getting settled into his office. He’s quite young, only twenty three, but something of a prodigy, a whiz kid if you will. Between his genius and your experience, I’m sure you two will get along famously.”

Twenty fucking three?!?! She was nearing her thirtieth birthday for God sakes, had busted her chops in this company and they bring in a rug-rat? Resentment towards Liam turned to rage, whether this ‘kid’ was an Einstein or not made no difference to her.

They stopped in front of the door to what should have been her new office and Snyder knocked, receiving a prompt ‘come in’ from the man on the other side. Snyder opened the door partially and poked his head in.

“Good morning, sir. If you’re not too busy, I’d like you to meet your new assistant?”

Kiss ass, Buffy thought, her resentment against the unfairness of it all growing to encompass Snyder and the man who would become her immediate boss.

“Of course.” He motioned the beady eyed little man inside while grumbling to himself. He didn’t want or need an assistant. For Christ sakes, he’d spent plenty of time working the field for his own father’s company for the last 2 years right after college before taking Liam’s offer and coming here. But, since he knew Liam personally and this assistant was his idea, he was sure he could find some use for the woman named Elizabeth Summers.

“William Giles, I’d like you to meet Miss Elizabeth Summers. Miss Summers... Mr. William Giles.” He waved a hand between them as the door swung the rest of the way open so the two could see each other.

YOU?!?!” came twin cries of shock and recognition.

Snyder looked back and forth from the platinum to the golden blonde, confused. “You two know each other?”

“Not… exactly.” Buffy crossed her arms and glowered at the man who’d both insulted and assaulted her on Friday night. Could she just, maybe, wake up back in bed and have a ‘do-over’ of this entire morning, one that didn’t include the bleached Brit-boy or the fact he’d stolen her dream job?

Oh, this was too bloody rich! Never one to believe in coincidence, Spike’s shock turned into a mischievous grin when he realized that what at first appeared to be an undesirable situation, had turned into something else entirely. Here stood the one woman who had not only turned down his advances but had managed to cut him down to size in the process. New assistant indeed! Oh yeah, he could think of plenty of uses he’d get out of her. Images of the two of them tearing up his office ran through his head in vivid detail… with him taking her over the desk, her straddling him in his leather chair, the couch, up against the filing cabinet…

“Yes, Mr. Snyder.” He brought the upper crust English accent he grew up with into play and strode towards ‘just plain Buffy’, holding his hand out to greet her. “We met a few nights ago when I first arrived here in the country. We shared... drinks.” He winked at her.

Reluctantly, she extended her own hand. Dressed in a three piece, dark blue suit, he look even hotter than the bad boy outfit she’d first seen him in and she found it unnerving along with the ‘gentlemanly’ way he was acting. I think I’m going to heave. He took her hand but rather than shake, turned it around and brought it up to his lips.

He purposefully kept his eyes trained on hers and planted a lingering kiss to the top of her hand, rubbing two fingers to the inside of her palm which was hidden from Snyder’s view.

Her breath hitched in her throat when she realized how soft that plump bottom lip of his felt as it caressed her skin. The look he gave her with those amazing baby blues did nothing to conceal the fact he was more than pleased at this new situation thrust upon them both. Oh God! She ripped her hand away from him as soon as she felt the light tickle. Now I know I’m going to heave. The nerve he had to act so smug and make with the covert sexual gesture like she’d welcome it. She sent him a warning glare while Snyder began talking again.

“Well, that’s nice now, isn’t it?” Actually, he could care less. “I’ll let you two get reacquainted then. I have a meeting to attend in about ten minutes so I must excuse myself. Congratulations to both of you. I’m sure Mr. O’Connor will be pleased with your team effort and the profitable results it will no doubt bring the company.” And with that, he left the couple alone to stare one another down, one with loathing, the other with lust.

“Well, well, well. What are the bloody chances `f you bein’ my, and I do emphasize my assistant.”

“Don’t get used it, because it’s not going to last.”

“Really?” he asked amused. “You put eight years into this company and you’re goin’ to walk away because of li’l ole me?” Oh, he’d read her personal file alright, from top to bottom. If he was going to be saddled with someone, he wanted to know all about her. It was just too bad there wasn’t a picture of the twenty nine year old employee in there or else he would have been a bit more prepared.

“I never said that.”

“Wha’s the matter, pet? `Fraid you can’ keep your hands to yourself while workin’ for me?”

“Ego much? And stop calling me pet.” She realized she couldn’t just up and quit no matter how badly she wanted to right now. She needed the money in order to keep her expensive apartment and… correction, I have six months to find a new job. There were plenty of companies here in NY she could apply to and her stellar employment record spoke for itself. Of course that record was also supposed to land her this promotion. “All I’m saying is don’t get used to it.”

“Right,” he drawled. “Maybe now is a good time for me to inform you `f my… expectations.”

“Expectations?” She almost shivered at how he said the word, as if it had nothing to do with work. Glancing at the manual paper trimmer with its giant cutting blade, she swore if he looked at her one more time like he wanted to play hide the salami, she’d slice it for him so thin it’d fit through a piggy-bank slit! Great! Now she’d regressed to having juvenile ideas of ways to make him wish he’d never been born, like bringing in home-baked brownies with laxative in it. With as full of shit as he is, he’d be spending all day in the men’s room she mused until he broke through her thoughts.

“Yeah. Since you’ll be workin’, ah-hem... beneath me.” And soon enough... in more ways than one.


I’m sure everyone saw this coming, and that’s the other reason why I promise to update soon… in about, oh-say, 3-4 days? Does that sound good? Have a safe and fantastic weekend - *hugs*.