Author's Chapter Notes:
this chap made me sad lol, so get ready for a fantastically sappy ending.
Spike jolted awake, the words “I’m drowning in footwear” spilling from his lips. Buffy was standing in front of her window, the pale light of the moon surrounding her, giving her an ethereal look.

“Buffy?”

She didn’t turn, “You know I love you right?”

He didn’t answer and she still didn’t turn to face him. “It’s important for me to know that you know how I feel Spike.”

He pulled himself from the bed and walked over to her, wrapping his arms around her tightly.

“I know you love me Buffy.”

Her hands entwined with his. “I had a slayer dream.”

“About what?” he asked and nuzzled her neck, helping her relax and lean into him.

“Everything.”

He decided not to question her, she would tell if she wanted, but he got the feeling that she didn’t want to.

“Do you know Peter Pan?”

Spike chuckled, “I know of him, never met the bloke though, pretty sure that he’s fictional.”

She giggled, “You know what I mean…I… you’re my Peter Pan Spike.”

He waited for her to continue, but tightened his hold on her.

“Peter Pan never has to grow up…never has to do things he doesn’t want to do. He stays the same his whole life, never loses that little something that keeps him young, keeps him special.”

Spike pressed a kiss to her shoulder, “What’s your favorite version kitten?”

She hesitated, “ The one in Finding Neverland…I like how it ended.”

“She dies.” he whispered. Buffy smiled, so he’d watched it, the big bad was still full of surprises.

“She dies loved…and he brought her to Neverland…I think in Neverland you’re never afraid, never alone, never unloved, never cold…”

There were tears in both their eyes but neither would let them fall. “To die will be an awfully big adventure” Buffy quoted.

“That’s my line kitten…”

Buffy giggled and finally turned to face him, her eyes meeting his instantly.

He ran a shaking hand down her face, playing with the silky hair that framed it, “I’ll save you Wendy.”

!!!!

He looked outside, the sun would be up soon and he knew that today would be his last full day. Her story was coming to an end and so then was his reason for being here. He dialed a familiar number and waited; a small but peaceful smile on his face.

“Hello?”

“’Lo Nibblet…”

“Spike…” her voice was whisper soft, she knew.

“Been doing well?”

“Well Buffy’s being a brat, she got kicked out of daycare for hitting a bully and breaking his nose and William’s locked away scribbling in his journal.”

Spike laughed, “Déjà vu huh lil Bit?”

“God yes…I wouldn’t change it for the world though…Spike?”

“Ya Platelet?”

“It’s time isn’t it?”

There was no answer for a few minutes, “Ya Dawnie…it’s time.”

She could hear the tears in his voice and knew that he could hear the pain in hers. “I’m on my way.”

“See you soon” he answered but the phone was already hung up on her end. He smiled; it was good to be loved.

!!!!

They walked hand in hand through the cemetery, laughing at each other’s lame comebacks.

“Fang face doesn’t really hurt my feelings sweets” Spike said with affection.

Buffy laughed and rolled her eyes, “And telling me I have stupid hair is so traumatizing Spike.”

Two screams tore through the air in opposite directions, Spike looked at Buffy uneasily.

“Human?” she asked, he gave an almost imperceptible nod, he didn’t want to leave her alone, slayer or not.

She pulled him in for a hard kiss, “I love you, now go”, they both took off towards the noises, a growing feeling of unease in the vampires’ stomach.

Spike reached the girl too late, 3 vampires had latched onto her and her eyes were lifeless. For a split second he saw the limp corpse as Buffy and his rage took over as he ripped the heads off the not so lucky vampires’, the stake never even leaving his pocket.

The second the last head turned to dust in his hands he knew, felt it in his bones…Buffy was down.

The speed at which he ran would have made even the fastest creature of the night ask what the fuck had just gone by them.

He smelled her blood before he saw her, smelled their blood before he saw the ones that had done this to her.

Everything slowed down around him once she came into view, her leaning against his old crypt and the bodies of the now lifeless demons just feet away from her. It was the gaping wound from her neck to her chest that he only let himself see last…and the blood, all that blood should have been a welcome sight for someone of his kind but it only served to make him howl in pain as he dropped to his knees and cradled his girl.

“Buffy Buffy Buffy Buffy…stay with me kitten, you’re not going anywhere.”

His hands were pressing into her wounds trying to staunch the flow but he knew it wouldn’t help.

He felt her tiny hand reach up to pull one of his own away from her neck, to hold in hers.

“Hey you” she whispered.

“You don’t have stupid hair, it’s bloody fantastic hair…like silk and sunshine” he blurted out, the words slurred with the effort not to bawl.
She smiled, “I love you…William, Spike, the demon, the poet, the monster, the man…my man, always my man.”

“I love you Buffy…so much, please don’t leave me luv’ oh god please don’t leave me, never leave me.”

The tears were never-ending as he peppered her face in kisses and pulled her light body onto his lap to rock her as he spoke.

“There’s that word again…never” she whispered.

His eyes sought hers and he calmed down, she seemed to have him in a trance.

“I like the word never, I’ll never leave you Spike…not really anyway.”

“I know Buffy, you’ll wait for me yeah? Wherever it is you go, you’ll wait for me?”

She smiled, “Always…you know where to find me Spike.”

He shook his head and smiled through his pain, “Off to Neverland then kitten?”

Her body tensed and she squeezed his hand, “To Neverland”

And when his sun burned out the undead man found himself truly lifeless for the first time in his entire existence.
There would be no happy ending, no hidden morals to be learned, no more hope in a world that didn’t deserve it…didn’t deserve her.

And just like that, Peter Pan grew up.


Chapter End Notes:
reviews and input would make me feel great :)