Author's Chapter Notes:
this story was so incredibly hard to finish because i knew that i had to kill another character and even though i knew doing it would mean the happy ending i still found it incredibly sad to do lol
Spike ran around the backyard, chasing little Buffy and William while Dawn sat on the porch and watched, a small smile playing on her lips. She had just finished reading his work, every single page had brought to life things almost forgotten and her heart warmed at the fact that if she lost everything in life, she’d still have the memories, safe and sound.

She stood up and Spike and the children looked at her,
“Is it time to go already mom?” William asked softly.
Dawn smiled and nodded her head and Buffy promptly burst into tears, running over to throw her arms around Uncle Spike.

“Hush now Sunshine, what’s the trouble?”
“I’m not gonna’ see you again, am I uncle Spike?”
He looked at Dawn who just shrugged her shoulders as if to say, ‘I didn’t tell them anything’
“No Princess…I’ve got to go away now, but I’ll always be watching you, making sure you and your brother are ok.”
William came up shyly and put his hand in his uncles. “Are you going to go get the princess now?”
Spike smiled, “Yes…I’m going to go get the Princess now, she’s been waiting a long time.”
“Is she pretty?” Buffy sniffled.
“Almost as pretty as you Sunshine, but not quite, now come on, give me a hug and wish your old uncle luck.”
The children’s arms wrapped around him tightly and he squeezed back, eyes closed for fear of the tears escaping.
“Don’t forget to bring a white horse, girls like that sort of thing” William whispered in one ear while Buffy whispered in the next “And they lived happily ever after.”
Spike picked the both of them up easily and began walking to the front of the house, to the car and the father waiting to take the children away.
Once the kids were buckled in safely he shook Eric’s hand, “Be good to them or so help me I’ll find a way back to kick your ass.”
Eric nodded his head solemnly, “Take care Spike.”
Spike nodded at him and gave a ghost of a smile, “You too.”

Long after the car had turned the corner he stood there, when Dawn had come to stand next to him he didn’t know but eventually she led him to the house and made them some hot chocolate.

“The book is…well, it’s the best thing I’ve ever read Spike.”
He smiled, “That’s good then Nibblet.”
“I don’t know what I’m going to do without you” she whispered, voice shaky.
“You’re going to live, and publish the book, and be the best mom ever and when all that is done and you’ve lived an absurdly long life, you’re going to see me and Buffy again.”
She nodded her head. “The sun will be up soon”
Spike stood up, “Feel like swinging with an old man?”
“You know it” she said with a small giggle.

Anyone passing by would have had to look twice at the sight they saw passing by 1630 Revello drive. Two full grown adults swinging like children, their laughter bouncing thru the air just before dawn in the almost morning light of sleepy Sunnydale.


Spike felt the sun rising in his bones, “Keep looking straight Dawnie, eyes on the house”
“Ok Spike…I love you.”

“I love you two Dawnie” was the last words she heard before his laughter rang out one last time, she closed her eyes and kept swinging, years later she would still swear she’d felt him pushing her for a bit.

When she finally got off the swing it was hours later, her legs felt like they would collapse but her heart felt lighter than it had in years. Peter Pan was going to find Wendy. Peter Pan was finally going home.

**

He could barely see anything thru the foliage, the trees seemed impossibly high and the flowers impossibly bright. “’Lo?” he called out softly, trying to figure out where the sweet sounding laughter was coming from. His head whipped to the left, he could have sworn he’d seen a fairy…and was that a mermaid in the pond to the right?

“Hello?” he called out again, this time more loudly.

Shes coming
Shhhh he’ll hear you
Shes been waiting for you
Is it really him?

Spike’s ears were being assaulted from every direction and he began to move in circles trying to find a single face to put to one of the whisper soft voices.

The last whisper he heard was ‘she’s here’ before his spinning stopped dead and he dropped to his knees.

“Buffy?” he choked out.
She smiled and the forest seemed to brighten even more, “You found me.”
She wore nothing but a simple white dress that flowed and moved with even the slightest of breezes, in her hair was a multitude of tiny colorful buds and the rays of sun that bounced off her made her glow almost angelically.

“You look…” he tried to search for the best word to describe what he was seeing.
“Happy?” she supplied.
“Effulgent” he corrected.

She knelt down in the grass so that they were face to face.
“Where am I Buffy?” he asked softly as his hands came up to touch her face, needing to feel that she was real.
“You really don’t know Spike? You promised to meet me here, I’ve been waiting for so long”
“I don’t want to say it…this can’t be real, I’m dreaming…I can’t be here…”
“Welcome home Peter Pan” she said with a smile and pulled him in for a kiss that left him breathless. It mended the tears and rips that years spent without her had caused, it soothed the ache in his chest that came with losing a mate, it healed everything inside him from the poet to the man to the monster…to the boy who had never wanted to grow up but was forced to, it soothed all of that and undid it.
“So…so… I went to…”
“To Neverland” Buffy finished for him with tears in her eyes as their lips came together again, promises of forever mixing with their tears and love.
Wendy had found her peace.
Peter Pan taught her how to fly.
To die has been an awfully big adventure...


the end


Chapter End Notes:
hope you liked it, sorry it took so long