Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much to Kristi for betaing, luv ya! And to Sotia for taking a look at this for me! *Hugs and kisses to both*.
Chapter 10

It had taken Buffy an hour longer to get to Sunnydale than expected because of the heavy traffic she hit upon leaving L.A. Unexplained traffic delays were such a normal part of life in California, Buffy had stopped even wondering what caused them. She was hot and sweaty after being stuck in her car for that long, and that always made her bitchy. With nothing but time on her hands, Buffy couldn’t keep herself from thinking about Spike, and what had gone wrong the first few years they had been apart.

Everything had gone great over the first year, they wrote each other everyday about nothing and everything. She told him about her cousin, and how different Irish culture was than American. He told her about what was happening in Sunnydale. Everything was great, until University came around. Buffy had gotten into UCD, a well known college in Dublin, and studied Art. She had emailed Spike that August before, explaining how happy she was, but he had never told her where he was heading for University. When she moved into student accommodation, she had made many friends, and loved University life, but there was something missing: Spike.

She had emailed long letters to him telling him how happy she was and how she could even save up to come visit him and their friends this summer, but she had only gotten short replies, none showing very much enthusiasm. She had known it would be hard for them to keep their relationship going, but when he just stopped contact altogether, it had made her feel like maybe he had never loved her.

When she had finished her four years in University, she had emailed him one last time. She told him if he wanted to keep their friendship, to email her, otherwise she would give up. She got an email back saying that his account didn’t exist anymore. And that was it: the end, or so she had thought, of their relationship. She didn’t even think that she would ever see him again, and now she was going to be in a wedding with him. Granted it wasn’t hers, but what did that matter. When traffic once again started moving on the freeway, she turned the music up loud and tried to forget about him. It had worked, until she pulled up at Anya and Xander’s house. She had hoped to god that Spike wasn’t there, and when Anya had opened the door, Buffy thought her hope was realized. Her blissful ignorance was short-lived, however. As Xander grabbed her for a hug, she looked over his shoulder and saw Spike standing a few feet away. He stood there awkwardly as she hugged Xander. As soon as Xander let go, Spike stepped forward, even sticking his arms out for a hug.

“Hey, pet!” BASTARD, she thought as she slapped his face.

“Hello, William.” She had kept her voice cool, but really she was in shock, she couldn’t believe she had actually hit him. He looked taken aback also, his eyes wide with shock. Bringing a hand up to his cheek, he rubbed it. Neither of them said anything, just stared, and Xander could feel the tension between them.

“Listen, Buffy, I…” Spike started, but Buffy stopped him.

“I don’t want to hear it, Spike.” She almost spat, she wished that the ground would swallow her up. She had no idea why she had slapped him, and now she wished she had done anything but that.

“Now hold on a bloody second.” He stepped closer, unaware that Xander and Anya were sharing a look. “I know what I did was wrong, but please listen to me, I really wanted to explain to you, but I couldn’t find the words.” He stared at her through those piercing blue eyes and Buffy couldn’t look away. She noticed Xander and Anya leaving them, but she still didn’t look away. She saw his eyes open up to her and show her what he was really feeling. They looked like all the pains in the world were affecting him and she felt… sorry for him.

“Did you give me two seconds when I emailed you all those times? I even kept trying when I didn’t get anything back from you! How could you? I thought what we had was special, but you just threw it in my face. I can’t believe I can actually talk to you.” She had tears brimming in her eyes and tried to blink them away, but they flowed down her face instead.

“I couldn’t handle it. I just couldn’t control my emotions and…and I couldn’t talk to you anymore. I felt like I would die if I had to spend my whole life waiting to see you again. So I locked my feelings for you away, and they stayed that way until the day Xander said you would be at the wedding too. I’ve now realized that I love you, Buffy. It’s always been you.” He stepped forward and placed his hand on her cheek, looking deeply into her wet eyes. His thumb wiped at one stream of water that fell from her eyes. She was so lost she didn’t notice his eyes glance down to her lips. He leaned in and placed a soft, closed-mouth kiss to her lips. Leaning back he saw her closed eyes and took it as a good sign, he leaned forward again, but was surprised to feel a push against his chest. Looking down he saw her hand there.

“I’m sorry, I can’t. I don’t even know who you are anymore.” She looked into his sad eyes and felt remorse go through her, but knew she had made the right decision. If she had let him kiss her again, she wouldn’t be able to stop, and she couldn’t handle it. She had been waiting to see him again for ten years, and now that it happened, she wished it hadn’t. Why couldn’t things be like they were before?

*Flashback*

They lay on a blanket at the park, Spike lying on his back and Buffy curled next to him, her head on his chest, both looking at the stars. They were so wrapped up in each other that if there was an apocalypse they wouldn’t notice.

“Do you know any of these constetations, or whatever they’re called?” Buffy asked as she listened to his heartbeat. She giggled when he chuckled.

“I think you mean constellations, luv, and no, I don’t know ‘em, but I like to make ‘em up.”

“Ok, do you see us in the stars?” Buffy was now drawing random designs on his chest, not wanting to see his reaction to her question. Grabbing her by the upper arms, he placed her so she was straddling his chest.

“Yes, I see us in the stars, with our 2.5 kids and white picket fence.” He grinned as he watched her face light up with a smile.

“Really?”

“Really,” he answered, before pulling her in for a kiss.


*End of Flashback*