Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Kristi for betaing, as per usual, you were great! Also thanks to Sotia for believing that this story will turn out right and looking at the chapter *Hugs you both*! Also, go read Quiet Summer, cos it's really quite good! nah, it's beyond words! Also, please, just trust me, this is a Spuffy fic after all
Chapter 7

“But why do you have to go a month beforehand? Can’t we both leave together the week before? I’m going to miss you so much, Spikeykins!” Harmony whined as she watched her husband packing his bags.

“Because, I’m the best man, and I have to be there for everything that the best man does,” Spike explained like it made perfect sense.

“So, why don’t I come with you? We haven’t been on a holiday in…”

“No!” Spike stopped what he was doing and Harmony looked surprised. Sure he shouted at her from time to time, but never before had he done it so angrily, she had never been scared of him until this exact moment. “I need to do this on my own, meet all my mates and catch up before I introduce you.”

Truth was he didn’t want Buffy to know about his situation, wanted to live the dream of them being together forever. And he didn’t want anything to get in the way of that. When Buffy had left Sunnydale all those years ago, he had gone into such a deep depression he didn’t think he could get out of it. Not even his friends and family helped in the matter. That was until one night, when he was out getting pissed, Xander had come to help him. Spike had cried to him over a few beers and the two had hit it off well. It was then that Spike decided he didn’t want to waste his life; so he studied his ass off, got into Harvard to study law, and the rest, as they say, was history.

But in truth it wasn’t history, he spent every day thinking of her, and what she would be doing. In University, he had begun to sleep with women and ditch them, just to fulfil his need for her, but it never worked. It may have filled that need whilst he was with the girl, but afterwards he just felt worse. It was then that he stopped his emails altogether. He couldn’t keep their friendship, let alone their relationship. Xander was the only one Spike confided to; the only one that knew the only reason he had pulled away from Buffy was that he didn’t want to keep her tied down when she could be having a life away from him. Xander was also the only one who knew how much Spike regretted that decision ever since.

When he moved back to London he met Harmony. She was living in the apartment next to him, and whenever he got a glance at her, he always thought she was Buffy. It was this reason, and this reason only that he had married the dumb blonde, who made his life a living hell for the past three years of marriage. It had seemed like a good idea at the time, but after finding out all her bad habits, he regretted it for two and half years.

“Okay, Spikey, but you promised, no more other women. Am I not enough for you?” Harmony began on another subject. Spike swore that she had the attention span of a gold fish. There had been many women since Katrina a month ago, but Spike had been discreet so he could avoid anymore confrontations.

“Of course, pet, no more women, I promised you before didn’t I?” Looking her in the eyes, Spike faked a smile.

“Good, ring me when you get there, okay?” Harmony kissed him on the lips and left to go do…whatever it was she did with his money. Relieved, Spike began to pack in peace.

*~*~*~*~*

“When’s Spike’s plane coming in, honey?” Anya asked as she looked at the table chart.

“He’s arriving sometime this afternoon, gonna call me when he’s on his way here,” Xander explained to his fiancée.

“Okay, and have you told Buffy yet?” She looked up to see if Xander was going to lie about his answer, knowing he couldn’t when she looked directly at him.

“No, I… I didn’t think it would be a good idea just yet, I was thinking I’d let her know when she arrives next week.”

“Xander Harris! There is no way that you are going to wait for my bridesmaid to be here to tell her. I do not need another person dropping out of this wedding, okay? So you get on that phone and you tell her what you are doing, and while you’re at it, you can call for pizza. I’m hungry!”

Xander begrudgingly picked up the phone and dialled his friend’s number. “Why can’t you call?”

“Because, she’s your friend and I told her she was bridesmaid,” Anya replied just before Buffy picked up.

“Hey, Buff! How are you?” Xander asked, making small talk, not wanting to actually have to tell her what he had been forced into.

“I’m good, Xand! How are you? Congrats, I can’t believe you actually set the date.” Anya and Xander had been engaged for the past four years and only now had they done anything about it.

“I’m good, and thanks, can’t believe it either!” Xander grinned, looking at his wife to be as she stabbed the seating chart with a pin.

“So, what was it you’re calling for?”

“Well, I just wanted to let you know who my best man would be.”

“Why? You’re not trying to set me up again are you?” Buffy clearly remembered the last time they had tried that with one of his employees. It had ended so badly, what with the guy who was on a date with her actually trying to hit on Xander instead, that Buffy hoped she’d never have to go through it again.

“Ha ha! You’re so funny, Buffy! And no, it’s not that.” Xander’s false laughter came to an abrupt end.

Buffy could tell Xander was just stalling. “Okay, Xander, get on with it.”

“Okay, IaskedSpiketobemybestman.”

“What?” Buffy wasn’t sure she’d heard correctly. Spike?

“I asked Spike to be my best man,” Xander replied more slowly and Buffy’s breath caught in her throat.

“Okay, I’m glad you told me, but I don’t mind. Really!” she said with enough false cheer that Xander believed her.

“Great, so we’ll see you next Wednesday then?”

“Sure,” Buffy answered, answered, her thoughts slowly catching up to what Xander was saying now. With her mind reeling at the news she’d be seeing Spike for the first time in ten years, she wasn’t sure what she’d just agreed to. She had never forgiven Spike for letting distance tear them apart, she had kept mailing him for a couple of months after his e-mails had gone from sparse to none, but to no avail. However, no man had ever come close to making her feel the way he had. It was not because he was her first love, no matter how much she tried to reason with herself that it was just the naiveté of her youth that had made him seem like he was her entire world.

“Bye, Buffy.” He smiled as he disconnected. Now for some tasty pizza! Xander thought as he dialled the number, clueless about how Buffy was really feeling.