Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks To Kristi For betaing, I luvs you! Sorry this update took longer, but I got caught in a mental block, I hope you like the chapter tho, and the guy is suppose to be Sawyer from lost, but I decided to change his name in this! Also remember there is NO Buffy/Other in this fic. As always, please read and review!
Chapter 9

Buffy walked into Angel’s office Wednesday morning. She had promised him that she would say goodbye to him before she left. Walking through the lobby on the first floor, she smiled to the security guard, Robin Wood.

“Hey, Buffy, here to see Angel?” Wood asked as she walked up to him.

“Yeah, who else?” Buffy laughed and Robin just grinned.

“You could never know, girl, thought maybe you met someone.”

“Yeah, I think the chances of that happening are slim to nil.” She smiled, though it was a little strained. Yeah, because you have been hung up on the same guy for the past ten years. Buffy’s sensible side explained.

“Okay, go on up, I think he’s in his office.” Robin let her through the security doors, giving her a visitor’s pass to put over her neck.

“Thanks, I’ll see you later, Robin.” Walking towards the elevator, Buffy waited for it to reach her floor.

“Well, well, well!” A voice came from behind her. Turning around, Buffy recognized the guy from the café last week. “Look who walked through the doors of my work! Hello, pixie, what brings you here?”

“Hey, Hunter, right?” Buffy smiled, knowing who he was. Instead of the jeans and tee he had been wearing, he now wore a pinstriped business suit that looked very good on him.

“Now don’ go pretendin’ you didn’t know who I was,. We both know how great our little chat was!” He gave Buffy a wink. A woman walking past shot her an evil look. Just then, the elevator gave a ding, announcing its arrival. “What floor are you going to?” He walked her into the metal, confined space.

“17.”

He grinned, “Looks like we’re going to the same place, elfy,” He pressed the button and took a step towards her.

“What brings you here anyway?” Buffy asked, feeling a little curious.

“I work here. So what brings you here?” He looked like he was actually interested in what she’d say, unlike many other men she’d met.

“My cousin, he works here too, ‘one of the big guys’ as he calls himself!” Buffy giggled.

“Really, I might know him, what’s his name?”

“Liam Angelus?” Her voice went up in a question.

“Angel! Oh yeah, I know him, he’s in an office by mine,” Buffy looked confused, Angel never mentioned him before., Hunter chuckled, “I’m the newbie, I suppose I’m not really worth mentioning!” The doors opened for their floor. They walked towards the office in silence, and both stopped as they got to Angel’s. “Well, I’ll see you soon, I hope.”

“Wait, I know we just met, but I’m looking for someone to come to a wedding with me next month, and I was wondering…”

“Like me already, do ya, pixie? And I thought I would have to buy you dinner first!” He grinned as she blushed. “’Course I will come, it would be my honour. You can get all my gory details off Angel! Let me give you my number.” He took out a business card and scribbled something on it. “That’s my business number, my cell and my home, alrigh’?” He pointed to each number individually.

“Yes, thanks, and by the way, I don’t usually do this. I still have no clue why I even asked you.” She blushed as she realized how that sounded. Hunter grinned at her discomfort. Yes you do, you don’t want Spike to think that you stayed away from men because of him. It was him that stopped all contact with you, not the other way round, the sensible part of her mind informed her.

“Well, there is something I need to tell you…” He couldn’t finish as Angel walked out of his office.

“Buffy, hey!” He walked over to the blond and kissed her cheek. Stepping back, he noticed the man beside her. “Hunter, this is my cousin, Buffy Summers, Buffy this is Hunter Jericho.” He made the introductions and the two just smiled at him. “What? Have I got something on my face?” He wiped his cheek, which had nothing on it.

“No,” Buffy giggled, “we just already know each other!”

“Okay, how’s that?”

“We met a few days ago at a small café downtown. Anyway, I best be off. I’ve got a lot of client files I need to get acquainted with.” Hunter said his goodbyes and walked into his office.

“How do you do it, Buff? I really wanted to introduce you to the new partner myself.”

“He’s a partner here?” Buffy was astonished; he’d told her he was new, but she didn’t think he’d turn out to be the new partner Angel had mentioned.

“Yeah, like another partner in England, it’s because of his dad. But at least he’s actually working and not playing around.” Angel answered.

“Anyway,” Buffy interrupted his rant, “I’m leaving now, so I thought I’d come say goodbye. I’ve already said goodbye to Cordy. Take care of her; I don’t want to have to whip your ass when I came home. I’ll see you at the wedding okay?” Buffy hugged her cousin as he nodded.

“You do know you’re only going for a month, right?” Angel grinned and Buffy playfully slapped his arm.

“Shut up. It’s all Anya’s fault, she needs everything perfect before her big day, and that includes me!” Buffy laughed, and Angel joined in, knowing exactly how Anya could be.

“Alright, Buff, see you when we get there then.” Angel hugged her, before she walked back to the elevator.

*~*~*~*~*

Spike had successfully arrived in Sunnydale last Friday, and had spoken to his father about something he had wanted to do for a long time. Rupert Giles had happily agreed, as long as Spike could get his wife to agree as well. And that was the problem. Spike had tried ringing Harmony for the past five days, and had yet to hear back from her. Her cell phone was never on, no one answered the home phone, and she wasn’t returning any of his messages.

“Jesus fucking Christ!” Spike growled as he hung up the phone after dialling their house phone. He was going to try her cell again, and hopefully this time she would answer. Spike was surprised to even get a reply.

“Hello?” A male voice spoke through the phone. Why was there a man answering his wife’s phone?

“Who the fuck is this?” Spike shouted, not caring how he sounded.

“Who’s this?” the dumb idiot asked in turn. In the background, Spike was sure he heard a giggle, then a high pitched voice saying, ‘Riley! I told you not to answer the phone.’

“Put her on.” Spike growled into the mouthpiece, his patience wearing thin. There was a little scuffling sound then Harmony was on the phone.

“Hello, blondie bear.” Harmony’s voice flitted through his phone, and Spike cringed. What had ever been sexy about that?

“So who is he? And you think you have the right to scream fuck at me about cheating.” He sounded angry. Even to his own ears he sounded angry, and he had no idea why; this was what he had been waiting for.

“Spikey, I didn’t mean it; it was a one time thing.” She hadn’t bothered to tell him it wasn’t what he thought, because she knew she had been caught.

“Where have you been since Friday then? If it wasn’t fucking someone else, then why weren’t you home? You’ll be hearing from my solicitors, Harm.” He flipped his phone closed, sighing with relief. Maybe everything was working out better than planned. He grabbed his coat from the chair and headed down the stairs, ready to tell all about the good news that was finally happening to him.

*~*~*~*~*

“Buffy’s arriving today,” Xander explained as Spike took a sip from his beer.

“Really?” Spike spoke around his bottle. Honestly, he was so scared about today, it wasn’t like he could have forgotten.

“Yeah, she called about an hour ago to say she was leaving L.A.” Xander looked over to his friend, and saw a hint of nerves flash through his eyes. “She should be here in about another hour.”

“Tha’s good, she staying here?” It took all of his strength not to shake his leg.

“Yeah, we have a free room, and Anya didn’t want her staying in a hotel.”

“Tha’ was right nice of ‘er.”

“Yeah, well, she wants Buffy to stay as her bridesmaid, and doesn’t want anything to get in her way about it.”

“Don’t worry, I won’ try anythin’, alrigh’?” Spike stood, taking his empty bottle into the kitchen and Xander followed him.

“You’re still married, Spike. I just don’t want you to get both of your hopes up, and then have her find out everything that’s happened to you. She may not even want to talk to you.”

“So you want me out of the ‘ouse before she arrives then?”

“No, maybe it’ll be good for the two of you to see each other, talk some things out. Who knows? Maybe even become friends.”

“Alrigh’, I’ll stay then. But, Xand, don’ tell anyone about wha’ I told you, yeah?” He looked at him, and Xander could see the nerves again.

“Yeah, sure, you can tell everyone in your own time.”

It was two hours, not one, before the doorbell rang, notifying all in the house that Buffy had arrived.

“I’ll get it!” Anya shouted as she ran down from upstairs, neither of the men knowing what she had been doing up there.

“Oh, god, Harris, I don’t think I can do this.” Spike’s doubts from earlier had returned.

“You can, now come on, let’s go see her.” Xander dragged Spike through the door of the living room to the front door. Buffy and Anya stood in the foyer, hugging. “Hey, Buffy!” Xander smiled as he waited for a hug from her once Anya let go. All Spike could do was stare at the beautiful woman in front of him. Her green eyes moved to him once she’d hugged Xander hello, and he saw the hurt of ten years locked up in them.

“Hey, pet!” He knew asking for a hug was a bit too much, but he never expected what happened next. She slapped him.

“Hello, William.”