Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: The names of the coffee shop and the night club are not mine there are actually such named establishments in RL (if you know these places, layout and locations have been altered to better suite the story)
“You sure about tonight?” Willow’s muffled voice came from the closet where she was trying to find her red satin bodice. “I mean William doesn’t seem to be the clubbing type” thinking of the bookish man that she first met about a year ago and has seen on occasion at the coffee shop with Buffy since. He reminded Willow so much of her when she first started collage three years ago, when she first met Buffy…


Buffy paused from her careful application of makeup. “Everyone has to start somewhere, remember when we first met? You spent more time in the library then any human should… If Xander hadn’t dragged you out every now and then you would have had no life.” Willow popped her head out of the closet long enough to stick her tongue out at Buffy. Then gave her an ‘and your point is’ look. Before returning to her search Buffy laughed, “The point is, look at you now, all dating a band member and everything…. You don’t just sit on the sidelines either like you used to, you’re on the dance floor… You just needed someone to show you the fun… so does William...” she then went back to her make up application.


“Well, didn’t you tell me he did the collage thing with your brother Riley? I mean from what you‘ve told me Riley was big in the having fun department…” finally finding the bodice she was looking for she let a happy sound and quickly went to put it on. After taking a moment in the mirror to make sure it gave off the effect she was hoping for, she then went over to the mirror to do her make up.


“My brother may have been his best friend but there were just some things he was blind to.” She looked herself over happy with the results she moved over to give Willow more room to work. Giving her hair one last look over, “I just know a side of William my brother didn’t understand…” catching Willow’s eye in the mirror, she noticed Willow had stopped applying her makeup and was staring at her with a shocked look. Buffy frowned at her best friend, “What?”


“You… you LIKE him!” she sputtered. And let out a disbelieving laugh. Not that there was anything wrong with William, he just didn’t seem Buffy’s type…


Buffy’s eye grew wide, “I do not! He’s just a friend that needs help. Not even a friend, a friend of my brothers…” but even as she made her denials a slight blush had settled on her face. She spun away and went to get her shoes on.


“Oh… my mistake…” Willow said softly as she looked apologetically at Buffy, but the moment Buffy looked away she indulged in a knowing smile before returning to her makeup. This night promised to be interesting.


~~~~***~~~~


They were looking for parking when Xander spoke up from the back seat. “It’s sure great of Oz to get us in for free… I mean Willow has girlfriend rights but to include the rest of us is pretty awesome of the guy.”


Willow smiled proudly, “Ya, he’s great isn’t he?” Xander and Willow had known each other since Kindergarten. They where best friends all their lives. So when Willow had her choice of any college in the world she chose the one Xander had gotten a sports scholarship, swim team to be exact. Not that he was slacking in the grades department, thanks to Willow’s influence. But without the scholarship he would have never afforded college.


Xander quickly found himself pledging a fraternity. And as frats go did their fair share of partying. In fact, it was at one of these parties Willow met Oz. It had been about a year and a half ago, Xander had invited his best bud Willow and her roommate Buffy. Oz’s band was playing the party that night. Unbeknownst to Willow she’d immediately caught Oz’s attention upon entering. It took a few more random run-ins till he got up the courage to ask her out, and that was as they say that… they have been dating a little over a year now.


“So is their stay at The Lime Light permanent now?” Buffy asked her friend. She’d seen them in action a couple times with Willow now. With The Lime Light being the hottest club in town right now, it was impressive they got to play there in the first place much less have such a long standing gig. That more then anything was a testament to how awesome the band was!


Willow shrugged and ducked her head a bit, “There are talks of a contract with the club. But nothing is definite yet. If they do sign they will also get some recording time and regular play on the local radio station.” All of the people in the car went silent. Local radio play was something major. This was no small town. The local radio station spanned over at least three of the major cities in these parts. One of those cities is one of the biggest in California and known for its vast support of music and the arts. Around here, such things could lead to the big time. The thing was a contract could make or break such an opportunity even if it was the cause of it. So it was no wonder negotiations were still at work.


Then it hit Buffy such things can also lead to some things not so great. She reached over with her free hand and took Willows, giving her a supportive look. Not many couples survived the move to stardom. Willow just smiled to say she was alright even while her eyes said otherwise. She really loved Oz which meant no matter the risk she wanted him to succeed in his dreams…


“Oh My GOD!” the surprised voice of Cordelia Chase Xander’s new girlfriend cut threw the quiet from her seat next to Xander, “Look at that fashion disaster outside the Bean Scene!”


As everyone else in the car turned to look at what Cordelia was talking about Buffy closed her eyes and silently prayed, “Whatever power is listening don’t let it be William!” she slowly turned and looked too. “Someone up there hates me…” she mumbled as her eyes landed on William in a traditional 3 piece tweed suit.


The moment she got out of the car she rushed ahead of everyone else and approached William, “What did you go threw your closet and pick out the absolute worst outfit you could find?! I know you’re not the most stylish dresser in the world but I know you can do better then this…”


He could see she was mad. Part of him knew she would be, “It wasn’t my fault… Professor Giles asked I attend the meeting with him with the research department heads. I didn’t think it would run this long but it did.” and if he’d went home he wouldn’t have made it in time and really didn’t want Buffy showing at his house with her friends to drag him out. Some how he just knew it would not be good. Or maybe deep down he was just scared she wouldn’t really care enough to show up like she said she would. “ If it is that big a deal I’ll just go change and come back” by that time her friends had reached them and he heard a snide comment about his suit in a poorly attempted whisper from the brunette on Buffy’s male friend’s arm. Williams’s eyes fell to the ground. He knew it was a mistake. He didn’t belong here.


Buffy shot Xander a look that said ‘shut her up!’ She wasn’t a big fan of Cordelia to begin with. She put up with the snob for Xander’s sake. At first, Xander had a thing for Buffy when they’d first met 3 years ago, but soon it was obvious that he and the blond made better friends then lovers, well, it was less a realization then an ultimate acceptance of her friend only feelings for him. Xander started dating some of the weirdest string of women. Unfortunatly,the latest was less weird and more, oh how to put it? Bitchy! Xander met her a few weeks ago through one of his fraternity brothers. Although they did nothing but exchange barbs from the moment they saw each other, they were making out by the end of the night. Even now arguing was like some kinda weird mating ritual for them…


Turning back to William she knew if she let him leave now he would not be returning. “Wait here and don’t leave!” she grabbed Willow by the arm and pulled her out of hearing range as she whispered with her for a few minutes. Then they both came back to William. “Come with me” Buffy ordered, while grabbing him by the arm she dragged him with her.


Buffy dragged him over to her car. Willow close behind after promising the others that they would be right back. As they approached her car he got confused, “you don’t have to give me a ride I have my car….”


“Your not going home, we’re gonna fix you here.” opening the trunk “Ok, first take off the jacket….” he looked like he was going to protest so she gave him her resolved look. Sighing he took off his jacket and handed it to her.


“The glasses too…” Willow piped up. Frowning he took off his glasses and handed them to Buffy as well. His eye sight although not perfect wasn’t so bad that he need them all the time. Just mainly when driving and some reading, but he felt awkward without them.


“Ok, the vest next and tie” He followed her instructions.


Willow spoke again, “Un-tuck your shirt and undo your top two buttons.” He shook his head like he couldn’t believe he was doing this.


“Better?” he asked deciding there wasn’t more they could remove, or at least that he would let them remove. Buffy and Willow started critically at him. Buffy reached up and ruffled his neatly brushed back hair. “Hey!” and a sigh was the only protest he offered as they again looked him over. He looked skyward to avoid their intense gazes. Finally he heard Buffy sigh.


“Well, it’s better then before… It will do…” she made sure his things were folded neatly in the trunk his glasses out of harms way before closing it. “So ready to meet the fun?” she said brightly. As her and Willow linked arms and started back towards Bean Scene leaving William to follow reluctantly behind.