Chapter 15- Mysterious Ways

Johnny take a walk with your sister the moon
Let her pale light in to fill up your room
You've been living underground. You've been
running from what you don't understand. Love.
-U2
-Mysterious Ways



Willow walked into Buffy's bedroom and gave her a questioning look. “Buffy, are you ready yet? It's almost seven.”

Buffy glanced back at her from the mirror where she was putting up her hair. Willow was wearing a sea foam tea length dress that looked charming with her dark red hair. While she helped Buffy finish her hair, Tara walked in wearing a light blue dress with cream piping on the bodice.

She noticed Buffy's dress and smiled. “Wait until Spike sees you. That's an incredible dress.”

Buffy was lovely. Wearing an orchid and cream silk slip dress, her tanned skin looked radiant. She had chosen to wear her blonde hair up to complement the dress, which had an open back almost to her waist.

Willow, hearing an unidentifiable noise, looked out the window. “Wow. Hey guys, Spike rented a limo for us.”

Buffy was beginning to feel like the princess in a Disney movie, except she couldn't think of any Disney Prince who was half as sexy as Spike. When he and Rupert arrived to escort the women to dinner, she couldn't help but lick her lips. He was dressed completely in black Armani; suit, shirt and tie. He looked as hot as the book jacket.

Spike introduced everyone and they prepared to leave. He draped a shawl across her shoulders and whispered, “you look stunning tonight.”

Buffy smiled and whispered in return. “You look pretty incredible yourself.”

Spike was having trouble keeping his hands away from Buffy. He took one look at her and became instantly hard and nearly speechless. After touching her bare back, his situation became much worse. He casually buttoned his suit coat while opening the door and motioned everyone to the long black limousine. “We need to get going, our reservation is for seven thirty.”

Once they were all settled in the limo, Willow asked “So Spike, did you finally decide on Malio's?”

Buffy's eyes widened. “How do you know about Malio's? That's a five star restaurant. We can't possibly get in there; the waiting list is weeks ahead.”

Rupert, who was having a wonderful time debating Tara on the merits of an obscure writer's latest essay, turned. His eyes twinkled and he winked at Spike.

Spike winked back at him and grinned. Willow, watching the exchange, giggled. She explained to her perplexed friend. “Buffy, Spike called me and asked for a restaurant suggestion. I knew we would never be able to book a table ourselves, so I suggested Malio's.”

Buffy still looked confused. “I still don't understand. How will we ever get in?”

Spike squeezed her hand. “Buffy, sweet, don't worry about that. They were happy to find us a bit of room. The only thing you have to worry about tonight is deciding which entrée to choose.”

When the limo pulled up to the exclusive restaurant, the group was immediately whisked to a private room. Buffy suddenly realized just how much influence Spike could wield. She really hadn't given any thought to his wealth or fame until now.

The private room was dimly lit with several crystal sconces. It had thick cream carpeting and dark russet tapestries that covered the walls. A large oak table, covered with snowy white linens, Limoge china and Steuben crystal dominated one end. At the opposite end double doors led to a private open patio. Music, piped in from the main dining room could be heard on the patio. Spike requested that the doors be propped open so that his guests could enjoy the music.

Wait staff hurried to comply with his requests. Several employees bustled around the group hanging up coats, handing out menus and filling water glasses. The Sommelier brought the wine list. Spike casually asked the professor to choose for them and leaned over to Buffy. Looking at her anxiously, he asked.” Are you alright pet? This isn't too overwhelming is it? I'm sorry we have to be holed up like this, but I want us to have a quiet dinner without any interruptions.”

Buffy smiled at him. “No, I'm having a wonderful time. I'm starting to understand why you wanted to have your vacation at Beachside. It must have been a relief just to be left alone for a change.”

“If we were sitting in the main dining room, even here at Malio's, I would have been interrupted several times by now. Usually I really don't mind, but sometimes I just want to be left alone and that's difficult to achieve without staying in a private room.”

After choosing the wines for dinner, Rupert joined in their conversation. “William came to visit my wife Olivia and myself on the occasion of my retirement from Cambridge. We thought everything would be fine. The party was private and at the estate of a colleague of mine. However as we were walking back to our automobile, a couple of William's more exuberant fans jumped from a hiding spot within the hedgerow, grabbed William and removed his shirt by force. We were able to make our escape before they could effectively remove his trousers.”

Spike grinned. “Olivia has a mean right hook.” He shook his head. “If they had gotten my pants off, I know the picture would have somehow made it onto the front page of the paper.”

The dinner was wonderful. Malio's lived up to their reputation and everyone was pleasantly full. While they were waiting for the dessert cart, Spike asked Buffy if she would dance with him.

He led her out onto the flagstone patio. It was a beautiful night; the light breeze stirred the treetops, while the full moon burnished everything in pale gold. Spike gathered Buffy into his arms and they began to softly sway in time to the slow melody drifting in from the main dining room.

“I just needed to have you in my arms. I couldn't wait another second.” He looked down at her, a soft smile playing on his lips. “You look so incredible in that dress. I have a confession. I wanted to dance so I that I had an excuse to touch you. I just can’t resist you.”

He placed his hand on the soft skin of her lower back and pulled her close. Buffy felt a strong tingling sensation where his hand stroked her bare back. They continued to dance and she became aware of the hardened bulge lightly pressed against her.

Spike groaned softly in her ear. “Buffy, can you feel what you're doing to me?”

Sighing, Buffy pressed herself against Spike's chest and looked up into his eyes. They were dark with desire.

He looked down at her and spoke, his voice hoarse. “It's killing me to sit next to you and not touch you. I don't want to be apart from you any longer.” He ran his finger across her arm lightly.

Shivering, she whispered. “I feel the same way. Ever since this afternoon, I can't stop thinking about you. You've been on my mind constantly.” Placing her hands on either side of his face, she reached up and kissed him deeply. They stood entwined together on the patio.

Finally Spike pulled back and let out a slow breath. “Buffy, as much as I want to stay here with you, we have to go back inside with the others.”

She softly agreed and straightened her wrinkled dress. Arms linked, they rejoined the other guests.

Willow noticed immediately that Buffy looked flushed and even a bit dazed. To help save her from any embarrassment, she announced a needed foray to the ladies room and left with Tara and Buffy in tow.

Spike sat down and turned to the professor. He snorted. “Why is it they always go in a pack to the ladies? We don't head for the gents in a group.”

Rupert chuckled. “That is a question for a far better scholar.” He smiled warmly. “William, I am enchanted by Ms. Summers. She is a charming woman and it's clear to me that she does truly care for you.”

“When she met me, she had absolutely no idea who I really was.” Spike smiled at his old friend. “Rupert, I'm finally writing again and it's all because of her. She has become my muse.”

“Then I shall look forward to your current endeavor as always.” Rupert suddenly looked very serious. “It's obvious that she doesn't understand the world you inhabit. She has been very sheltered. In what way do you see her fitting into your life?”

“I haven't felt this way before, not even with Dru. I want to marry her, Rupert.” He sighed. “I'm not sure how to handle it though, that's as far as I've thought it out.” He shrugged. “And I haven't asked the lady.” Or even told her that I love her.

“Then I'll wish you well. May I offer some words of advice, one old friend to another?”

“Of course Rupert, from you I expect and want nothing less.”

The Professor looked thoughtful. “Wait until the deed has become fait accompli before announcing it to the populace at large. Enlighten Lilah before anyone else. You know she'll be able to control the unneeded attention to a great degree. William, I fear that Ms. Summers will not be prepared for the notoriety. You must give this great consideration, for her sake as well as yours.”

Spike nodded slowly. “I will. Rupert? Thank you.”

The conversation shifted as the women returned and the dessert cart was wheeled into the room.

Finally Rupert pushed his chair back. “I don't know when I have enjoyed a wonderful meal with such beautiful dining companions” He nodded to Willow and Tara. “and such stimulating conversation.”

Spike smiled fondly at the older man. “I'm glad you had a good time, Professor.”

Looking around the table, he played host. “Does anyone want to do anything else, perhaps a club, or should we return to the cottages?”

Tara and Willow wanted to stroll on the beach and asked to be returned to Beachside. Rupert concurred. He wanted to phone Olivia with the information concerning his return trip to England the following day.

Spike raised an eyebrow and looked at Buffy. She glanced shyly at Spike before speaking to the group. “I think we'll just go back to the cottages, too.”

When the limo stopped in the parking lot, Willow and Tara were the first to say goodnight. They thanked Spike for their evening, told Buffy they'd see her tomorrow in the office and walked down the path hand in hand.

The professor was next. He stood next to the limo and looked down kindly at the young woman. “Ms. Summers, I will be leaving for the airport tomorrow morning and I would ask to speak with you privately for a moment. William, may I borrow this beautiful woman?”

“I need to take care of the limo driver, why don't you walk her to the door for me Rupert. Be careful, I have enough blackmail material already to last a lifetime.”

The professor just shook his head wryly and offered Buffy his arm. “May I escort you my dear?”

Buffy smiled up at the older man. She really liked Spike's friend, she could tell he was a good man. “Please.”

They walked down the path, and stopped at Buffy's cottage. The professor searched her face earnestly. “Ms. Summers, I am William's oldest friend,” he briefly looked amused, “in longevity as well as duration. So please allow an old man to say that it's wonderful to see William content again in his personal life.

He is also writing and that is something which I personally feared would never again occur and it's all because of you. He's the type of man who can only be truly content when able to care for someone deeply and unconditionally.

To be productive as a writer, he must also have his muse. I have some advice which I feel in this situation I must impart to you. Please do not misunderstand, for it is being given in sincerity, from my heart.”

He smiled briefly then became serious again. “To care for a man like William as deeply as you obviously do, and to allow him to care for you as deeply as he must, can be a burden at times. He lives in a ruthless and sometimes extremely treacherous world. It can become very unpleasant.

My advice to you would be that what ever happens within that realm never let it affect the feeling you have for him. For in the end, all any two people in this harsh and chaotic world really have is their feeling for each other.”

He kissed her hand and stepped away. “Ahh, I see William is arriving. The airport limo is picking me up at a most unfortunate hour, so I will bid you adieu.”

He turned to Spike. “Take care of her and yourself, Will. And please come for a visit to Bath soon. Alas, I feel another need to embrace you. However this time I shall endeavor to control the urge.”

Spike grabbed the old man in a tight hug. “I won't.”

He and Buffy stood and watched the professor as he strolled toward his cabin whistling slightly off key.

Buffy turned to him and said. “I really like him, Spike. He's a wonderful person and a good friend to you.” She reached for him. He took her hand, kissed the palm and led her inside.

Upstairs in her bedroom, Spike insisted on undressing her. Refusing to rush, he began removing the pins from her hair and watched the tresses cascade down her back.

He slid the zipper down on her dress, allowing it to fall to the floor. Buffy stepped out of it and stood in front of him dressed only in her black bra and panties. The moon cast a soft glow that washed over her. Spike stared at her and was reminded again of the first night he watched her as she sat on the beach. She was luminous.

“Buffy, you’re breathtaking.” he whispered in reverence. “You are a goddess, my goddess.”

He held out his hand and she stepped into his arms. Kissing him tenderly, she tugged his suit jacket from his shoulders and removed his shirt, running her hands along his chest.

Spike groaned, kicking off his shoes and socks. Wearing only his suit pants he tenderly caressed her face and shoulders, trailing small, wet kisses along her neck. Sitting down on the bed, he pulled her into his lap. They kissed deeply, finally allowing the passion to overwhelm them both.


*****

Later, lying in each other's arms, completely sated, they were still kissing and stroking each other lightly. Spike placed a tender kiss on her shoulder. “Luv, that was incredible. You are the most beautiful, sexiest woman in the world.”

Buffy looked at him, amused. “I'll bet you'll say that to anyone who'll let you execute your plan.”

Spike looked smug. “I'll have you know that the plan was executed brilliantly not once, but twice.”

Turning serious eyes to her, he said. “There's something important that I need to say. I should have said it sooner. God knows, I've wanted to tell you before now.”

Buffy looked into his face, a question in her eyes. “What is it sweetheart?”

“Buffy, I love you.” He pulled her close, his arms around her. “More deeply than I would have believed that I could ever love anyone. I'm your willing slave.”

She sighed deeply.

Spike, immediately concerned, added, “Luv, I don't mean to pressure you. I just wanted you to understand how I feel about you. I've been in love with you from the first moment I saw you.”

She was tracing the contours of his cheekbones with her fingers. “That's not why I was sighing.” He looked confused and started to say something. She placed her finger over his lips. “I was sighing because I wanted to be the first to say it.” She smiled into his eyes. “I love you, too.”

He looked at her adoringly. “Then you'll just have to be first to say it tomorrow, but right now, I need to do something.” He reached over to his shirt hanging on the chair and pulled out his glasses.

“I believe I promised you that I'd wear these tonight.” He stroked her breast lightly. “Ready to implement a third execution of our plan?”