Chapter 17- Lead Me to Your Dark Roads

For once I want to be the car crash
Not always the traffic jam
Hit me hard enough to wake me
And lead me wild to your dark roads
-Snow Patrol
- Headlights on Dark Roads


Buffy sat in the back of the limo with Spike and Wesley while the two bodyguards-Riley and Adam-sat in the front with the driver. She stared out the darkened window as they left Sunnydale behind. - Huh, I'd never ridden in a limousine before last night and now I've ridden in two in twenty-four hours. - An image of the Queen of England entered her head. Amused, she tuned back into the conversation between Spike and Wesley.

Wes hung up the cell phone. “It's taken care of; a driver will pick up your car and bring it to you sometime tomorrow. How much more time do you need for the novel?”

“I've got maybe three chapters to go before a proof read, and I already have the title, so maybe two weeks or even less. It's flowing well.”

“That's wonderful Spike. Lilah is very excited. You'll have something to offer besides damage control. Now, do you want to return to your home up in the hills? Or perhaps the little place in Napa? You could even use the company's condo downtown.”

“I want to go home Wes. I work best there anyway.” He looked over at Buffy. “I want Buffy to see my home and meet Clem. We'll be fine, and it's already set up to keep out unwanted visitors.”

“That's fine. Lilah will insist that you retain Adam and Riley.”

“Of course.”

The limo came to a stop at the small private airfield on the edge of Sunnydale. Buffy noticed a sleek gray Gulf Stream on the tarmac. This would be her first ride in a private jet.

Wesley noticed Buffy staring at the plane. “I hope you don't mind small planes. It's not a charter. Lila owns this one and I can assure you it's in tip top condition.”

Buffy smiled at him. “I'm sure it will be fine.”

Another limo met them at the airport in Los Angeles and they were driven through the city and up into the mountains. After almost an hour, it stopped at an iron gate. The gate was the only noticeable opening within a ten foot high concrete perimeter wall. It had a camera and a small security box attached.

The limo driver punched in the code. The gate swung open to reveal a sweeping drive lined with Cypress trees. The long car pulled through the gate and the door closed with a heavy clang. The driver continued up the long winding drive and stopped under a portico at the front of a three story house. The outside, decorated with large ornamental stone, had mullioned windows set deep into the façade. A neatly trimmed boxwood hedge followed the front lines of the home.

Spike, Buffy and the bodyguards stepped out of the limo. Riley accompanied them into the house while the other bodyguard began a circuit of the perimeter.

Spike turned to the larger man. “We won't need you tonight, Riley. Have you been shown where your room is located?”

Riley pointed toward a small guest house. “Yes sir, we checked in late last night.”

While Spike talked with the guard, Buffy looked around. The front door opened into a large foyer tiled in pale peach Travertine tile. Two doors at either end led to other portions of the home. A maple staircase ascended to a second story.

Suddenly one of the doors swung open and a huge shaggy black dog with floppy ears bounded into the room. Barking and dancing around Spike, he skittered across the tile floor. A huge smile split Spike's face; he fell to his knees and hugged the dog. “Buffy, I want you to meet my best friend, Clem.”

As she bent down to pet the dog, he raised his head and gave her face a long sloppy lick. Buffy giggled. “Spike, he's adorable. I didn't know you had a dog.”

“Yeah, I've had him since he was a puppy. He's the only thing I really wanted to keep when Dru left.” He grabbed her hand. “Come on, I want you to see the best part of the house.”

The view from the panoramic window wall in the upstairs library was breathtaking. Buffy knew they were in the hills somewhere around LA, but she'd had no idea just how high up they actually were until she looked out at the wooded slope below them. There were a few lights twinkling among the miles of wild landscape seen through the glass. As she stood in front of the wall entranced, Spike slipped his arm around her waist.

“Spike, it's such a beautiful view.”

His eyes smoldered. “Not as beautiful as the view I see.” He gently took her hand. “Come on, luv, it's late. We can do the grand tour tomorrow, but right now there's one more thing I need to show you.”

“What is it?”

“Our bedroom.”
*****
The next few days passed uneventfully. They were so well matched that they quickly fell into a comfortable routine. Spike worked on his book during the morning hours. He was completing it much more quickly then he had anticipated and he was beginning to feel that the book might be a worthwhile endeavor after all. His writing had returned full force and he knew it was all because of his beautiful muse. Buffy had indeed saved him.

While Spike wrote in the library, Buffy took long leisurely walks with Clem around the property. The land around the house, situated on three acres of mostly shaded ground, afforded the perfect opportunity to enjoy the cooler air before the sun heated the surrounding hills. She couldn't remember the last time she felt so relaxed and fully rested. Spike had given her back her enthusiasm for life.

After a late lunch they would usually swim in the pool. They would play and laugh together all afternoon in the water, only to sink exhausted afterwards into chairs on the patio.

Spike brought out two glasses of lemonade and handed one to Buffy. “Here you go, luv.”

She smiled and drank deeply. “It tastes so good.”

He watched her as she tipped the glass up and finished the sweet drink. Spike couldn't help staring at her. It still seemed like a dream sometimes to see her here in his home. He sighed deeply to himself. If only it was really a dream. Then they could hide away here forever. Unfortunately, he knew real life was likely to intrude on them soon.

He came back from his musing to see Buffy looking at him amused. “What? Did you say something luv?”

She smiled. “Yeah, I asked if you were hungry yet?”

Cooking dinner together, they ate in the kitchen. Buffy had quickly realized that although he loved the location of his home, Spike really didn't use much of the space. He chose to spend the majority of his waking time in either the kitchen or the library.

The only other room that had started to see a lot of use was Spike's bedroom. The couple spent all of their evenings in bed. If they weren't making love, they were watching movies and eating popcorn. They were both utterly content for the first time in their lives.

Ten days after they had first arrived, the telephone rang early. Spike groaned and reached across Buffy, who was still asleep. “'Lo?”

“Spike, its Wes. The teaser's out. I've sent you a copy by messenger. They are planning to run the entire series beginning with their next issue. Lilah wants to come out this afternoon to talk strategy. She was also wondering how your book is going.”

“Ask her if she can come out early this evening instead. I've only got a bit more polishing on the book and she can take it with her.”

“Fine, she's available around seven o'clock.” He hung up.

Spike kissed Buffy's bare shoulder and got out of bed. “Luv, I've got to finish up. Lila's going to be out this evening for the manuscript.”

Buffy opened her eyes. “I'll get up and make us some coffee. Give me a few minutes to jump in the shower.”

Spike's eyes darkened picturing Buffy in the shower. “The book can wait a bit. Let me help you scrub that luscious back.”

After a rather lengthy and satisfying shower with Spike and his talented hands, Buffy went downstairs to make coffee. She took a cup up to Spike who was already typing resolutely on his laptop.

The day had clouded over and it was gloomy in the library. Trying not to disturb him and not in the mood to tramp the countryside in the drizzle, she decided to look around downstairs for something else to do until lunchtime.

Once downstairs she wandered into the main living area of the house. An ebony volcanic rock fireplace dominated an entire wall. Facing the fireplace were two pale gray couches. Clem was spread out in front of the cold fireplace on the Aubusson rug, snoring softly.

Buffy skirted the dog and the couches, and chose a book from the bookcase. It was Intermezzo Dreaming.Tara had raved about this particular novel. I can't believe Spike is such a part of my life and I still haven't had the chance to read anything that he's written. Curious, she settled down on a couch and opened to the first passage.

Three hours later, the grandfather clock in the foyer chimed one o'clock. Stretching, she closed the book, marveling at how fast the morning had gone.

He's an incredible writer, somewhere between novelist and poet. Buffy could see his heart in every passage. The book was beautifully and unbelievably lyrical. It was crafted in a way that was completely Spike. Vowing to read everything he'd ever written as soon as possible, she climbed the stairs to the library.

She peeked into the room and notice the laptop was closed. Spike was sitting quietly on the couch; his glasses perched on his nose, facing the windows.

She stepped lightly into the room, hesitant to disturb his solitude. He noticed her immediately and motioned her over to sit next to him. She settled down, leaning against his side. He placed his arm around her. Together they watched the steadily falling rain.

He finally spoke, his voice low and introspective. “All I've ever wanted for my life was to be able to earn a living writing and to have someone I could love completely. I thought I had that with Dru. When she left it almost destroyed me.”

Staring out the window, he continued. “What I felt for her pales in comparison to the love I feel for you. It runs so much deeper. It's unequaled; we're kindred spirits, soul mates. We're perfectly matched, you and I.

You've given me back the gift of writing. Your love has inspired and consumed me. Buffy, you're my best friend, lover and muse. If you were to walk out of my life, it would completely and utterly destroy me. There would be no way to ever recover from the devastation. I would cease to exist.”

He took her hands in his. “I love you Buffy Anne Summers. I want to marry you. I want you to stay with me and be my wife, my muse, and my goddess, forever.”

She looked into his beautiful blue eyes. The eyes of the man who had freed her and given her back the magic of love.

“William, I love you with all my heart. The answer is yes; of course I'll marry you.”

*******

When the intercom buzzed after dinner, Buffy was slightly nervous. She had yet to meet the famed Lilah Morgan. The woman held such a strong presence in Spike's life. She was the five star general in charge of Spike's army.

Spike noticed her nervous start while casting a glance at the intercom. “Buffy, don't be nervous. Lilah, despite rumors to the contrary-- which she probably started herself-- is entirely human. She's my agent, and although the best in the business, she's employed by me.” He snickered outright. “She's going to love you. After all, she's getting paid to.”

Buffy shot an annoyed look at his smirk and smacked his shoulder. He had made her feel better and as long as Spike loved her nothing else mattered. Lilah was only human, after all, or at least Buffy fervently hoped so.

They had just reached the foyer, when the door swept open. A tall dark haired woman wearing a full length sable coat breezed in, followed by Wesley and another man in a shocking lime green suit.

“Spike, I hear the book is complete? That's such good news.” She kissed his cheek and stepped immediately over to Buffy and held out her hand. Lilah towered over her by a good six inches. “You must be Ms. Summers. I've heard wonderful things about you from Spike and Wesley.” She smiled conspiratorially at Buffy and winked. “We girls shall have to get together later and dish about our boy. Please call me Lilah.”

Buffy found herself smiling back. “It's really nice to finally meet you Lilah.”

Lilah turned back to Spike. “Spike, you remember Lorne, don't you?”

“You're the publicist we used last time, right? It's nice to see you again.”

Lilah nodded again, satisfied that everyone was going to play nice. “Come on, boys,” she looked at Buffy and smiled, “and girls. We need to sit down and have a serious discussion, but as always, first things first. Spike, where's my scotch being held hostage in this big old barn these days?”

Lilah turned out to be a brilliant general who knew exactly how to deploy her troops. She got everyone settled quickly and they discussed the upcoming magazine articles, with the inevitable bad publicity and what they could do to counteract it before Spike's book was published.

They were all thinking of different strategies to contain the bad publicity, when Spike looked over at Buffy and raised an eyebrow. She smiled an agreement.

Lilah, who always noticed all communication and every nuance in a room, merely hid her smile and waited patiently to see what the blond couple wanted to tell her.

Spike cleared his throat. “Lilah, there's been a development that you need to be aware of, in case this changes anything.”

She looked at him and smiled. “What might that be?”

Spike rose and stood next to Buffy's chair, placing his hand on her shoulder. “Buffy and I are engaged. I asked her this afternoon to marry me and she's accepted.”

Lilah beamed at the couple. “As your friend, I couldn't be happier and as your agent, I say what perfect timing. You've just given Lorne something fabulous to work with."

She turned to her assistant. "Wes, see if you can scrounge up some decent champagne in Spike's wine cellar.”

She looked around at everyone. “I want to toast Spike and Buffy. Because not only are we celebrating the upcoming nuptials, but I've just thought of a way to keep Ethan from publishing those articles and help out Spike's book at the same time.”

While Wesley left to dig up some champagne, Spike took Buffy's hand in his. “Lilah, please excuse us briefly.”

Deep in conversation with Lorne, Lila waved them away.

He took her back upstairs to the library. Pulling her inside, he kissed her. Turning to the desk, he reached inside, pulled out a heavy box and placed it in her hands.

Buffy opened the box and looked inside. It was the completed manuscript.

“I wanted you to be the first to see it, before Lilah.” He smiled shyly.

“Open it and read the dedication.”

She sat down in the nearby chair and turned the pages until she found it.

To Buffy
My Goddess. My Aphrodite.
I was lost and now I'm found.
This one's all yours, as am I.


Back downstairs again in the living room, Wesley poured everyone a glass of Crystal as Spike handed his latest novel to Lilah.

She smiled at him. “So, scribe, what's the title of this one?”

Spike looked at Buffy. “Aphrodite at Water's Edge.

They toasted to Buffy and Spike's happiness and then to the new novel. After everyone settled down again, Lilah explained her idea to the group and asked for a consensus. They all agreed. Wesley pulled out his cell phone to make the appointment.