Chapter 6- Hey 19

Hey 19,
No we can't dance
No we got nothing in common,
Please take me along when
You slide on down.
-Steely Dan
-Hey 19


After an uneventful Sunday, part of which was spent grouting the new floor, Buffy needed some time away from work. She decided to buy some new clothes without analyzing the reason.

Dawn had been impatient for Buffy to leave. After prying yesterday's events out of her sister, Dawn was ready for someone to stick a fork in her. She was just that done with Buffy's angst filled, monk-like life of the past two years. After all, she wasn't getting any younger.

Dawn had discussed her sister at length with her best friend Janice that morning on the phone and they both came to the same conclusion. It was going to take some sisterly meddling to move things along. Buffy needed to get back on that dating horse. Dawn had already decided that the yummy Brit in cottage 4 was the perfect horse to ride. After all, even though he was old, he was in fantastic shape. He obviously had money and bonus- he already seemed to like her sister. Like most men all he needed was a push in the right direction, namely toward Buffy.

As soon as Buffy's truck pulled away from the parking lot, Dawn snatched up her excuse for a visit, also known as the computer questionnaire, and set out purposefully down the path to the cottages. As she rounded the curve by the first cottage, she saw Spike sitting on the porch swing, clad only in a pair of black board shorts, his bare feet propped on another chair. He was smoking and typing on a laptop. He raised a hand in greeting.

Oh my God. Look at his abs. He could so be a male model. Damn it, Buffy, how can you possibly even think about letting this guy get away?

“Hi Mr. Jamison, I brought the questionnaire I spoke to you about on the phone. I was wondering if you'd mind reading it over and answering it? The girl who designed the website is coming up in a couple days and she'd love some input.” She looked around the porch. “Mind if I sit with you for a while? I've got some time off and Buffy went to the mall.”

He closed the laptop. “I told you lot to call me William. Sure, I'll fill out your paper.”

Warily, he pulled his feet from the chair and pushed it toward her.

Spike liked the young girl, she seemed very pleasant, and she was Buffy's little sister, but he was still uneasy. Over the years, he had grown very cautious around teenage girls. In his experience, they usually either attempted to manipulate him into helping with some grand career goal, or showed up on his doorstep late at night wearing a coat and nothing else.

Even when he was drinking his heaviest, he had purposely shied away from them. They were just too unpredictable. Spike had always liked his women old enough to have life experiences. Not to mention both the immorality and the illegality of sleeping with young girls. It was all just a little too tawdry. He wondered what Buffy's younger sister really wanted from him. Why was she really here?

As Dawn smiled her thanks, sitting down in the proffered chair, she noticed William's nervous demeanor. He was sitting rigidly in the swing. Dawn realized she had to make him feel more comfortable, so he would be amiable to her suggestions. She decided to start with something light. She pointed at his laptop and smiled brightly. “How's your vacation going? What have you been doing?”

He looked at her cautiously. “I'm trying to write something. I used to do it a lot, but it's been awhile, and I want to see if I've still got the knack.”

Dawn perked up. “Are you any good at it?” God, he's smart, too. Buffy is so an idiot.

“Dunno, I used to be okay.” He decided to change the subject before the teen could ask anymore personal questions about his background. He fished around for another topic. “So how was the movie? Buffy said you went out with friends last night.”

Dawn realized instantly that the question was a perfect opening for the type of conversation she really wanted to have. She sat back and grimaced, using the perfect mix of theatrics and boredom that every teenaged girl acquired on their thirteenth birthday.

“I guess o.k. My friend Janice fixed me up with this guy and he turned out to be a real jerk. Why do good looking guys just think they're so special? It's just a teen thing, right? Not really a guy thing? I mean you're a gorgeous guy and you're not all snotty and stuck up.”

Spike smirked. "You think I'm gorgeous, huh?"

Dawn smiled sweetly; “Well, yeah, for an older guy.” Then she shrugged casually. “Anyway, I'm just quoting Buffy.”

Buffy thinks I'm gorgeous?? Spike immediately relaxed. He realized that Buffy's little sister just wanted to seek advice from someone older and wiser. He felt sorry for her; it must be tough to not have any older male role models. He decided he didn't mind playing big brother. Pausing, he thought about her question seriously.

"Well, Dawn, I'm not an expert on relationships. When my last serious girlfriend left, it about did me in. I'd say it's probably a little of both. If the guy really likes you, he'll want to please you, be decent to you. If he's being an arse, I say just blow him off and find another guy. Life's too short. Besides, you're young, pretty and smart, there's goin' to be tons of guys that want to meet you."

“That's actually not half bad advice. Thanks.” She looked keenly at him, assessing his relaxed posture. She upped the ante a bit. “Buffy mentioned the floor tiling help and the thank you dinner last night.”

He looked away toward the water. “She needed the help and I wanted to....help.”

Dawn nodded “Yeah, that's what she said, too. You know, this is the first time she's asked for any.....help from any guy since Angel. She must really want .…help.”

Spike's eyes narrowed. “Is that so? Who is Angel?”

Dawn exhaled loudly. “Her ex husband and the reason she came back to Sunnydale, but that's her story to tell. I just wanted you to know that even though she seems a little reluctant, I'm sure she would respond to more....help. I can tell that she really, really likes you and in yet another boost to your ego, I think you're pretty okay, too.”

She stood up. “Well, gotta go. There's a boy band I want to see on MTV this afternoon. Thanks again for listening.” She handed him the questionnaire. “Drop it off at the office, whenever.” As she walked away, Spike lit another cigarette and stared at the water thoughtfully. A few moments later, he reopened the laptop.