Author's Chapter Notes:
AU All human story.
Chapter 7-Walking on a Wire

She says days go by
I don't know why.
I'm walking on a wire.
I close my eyes and fly out of my mind
into the fire.
-Shawn Colvin
-Sunny Came Home


It took most of Monday morning to rip out the old wood on the porch and replace it with new timber. Spike and Buffy worked side by side easily, taking turns cutting the new planks to the correct size and nailing them to the supports.

Buffy had worn a pair of short shorts and a tank top with her work boots. Spike continually caught himself staring at her instead of working. When she bent over to pick up another plank, he couldn't help himself. He just had to stop and watch her. He was utterly incapable of pulling his eyes away. Amused at himself, he reached again for the hammer.

During a break, they reached into the cooler at the same time. Smiling, they each tried to offer the last bottle of water to the other.

“You take it. I'll go get another one.”

“No, I insist, you drink it.”

They ended up sharing the bottle, each taking turns surreptitiously watching the other.

The day had become hot and humid. The temperature kept climbing and the porch was on the sunniest side of the cottage. Spike finally stopped and pulled his sweat soaked shirt off and throwing it into the grass. When Buffy turned around she found herself confronted with a half naked, sweaty William. Guh. She tried to ask him a question, but couldn't seem to quite get her words out. She blushed and stammered. “Umm, could you, maybe, possibly, uh, hold this long plank for me?”

Spike looked at her quizzically, one eyebrow raised. “Sure pet, no problem.” He walked over and placed his hands on the plank so she could nail the support into the railing. With him standing close to her, she had a difficult time hammering the nail in straight.

By late afternoon, with the final plank nailed down, they declared work over for the day. Both of them were hot and tired. Spike suggested a swim and Buffy readily agreed. She offered to make some sandwiches and meet him on the beach.

As Spike walked back toward his cottage, he noticed the couple from the parking lot walking toward him. When they get closer, the man-Robin?- stopped to speak.

“Hey man, how's your vacation going? Faith and I keep saying we should stop and see if you'd like to hang out. It's a little too quiet here for us. We're planning on going to a bar someone told us about tonight. I think it's called The Bronze. Interested?”

Shaking his head, he replied, “No thanks, not much for bars these days and I already have plans for this evening.”

“That's too bad. Well, if you change your mind, let us know. We'll be here for another week or so.”

“Enjoy yourselves.”

As he walked away, Faith continued to stare after him. She watched him stroll toward the cottage. “We should stick around and see what his plans are for tonight. I bet he's going out with the blonde that owns this dump. That might be worthwhile.” She tugged at Robin's hand. “Come on, let's go back to the cottage and grab our stuff.”

*****
Spike was already in the water when Buffy arrived. She sat the picnic basket on a blanket, caught Spike's attention and pointed to the basket. He beckoned her out into the water. She removed her shirt and shorts, revealing a black bikini. Diving in, she swam strongly out to the sandbar where Spike was waiting.

Spike had discovered a sandbar located about fifty yards from shore which allowed a person to stand up. The water depth was only five feet, making it a good halfway point for swimming to and from shore. When Buffy stood, she was barely tall enough for the sandbar. Every wave pushing through in its rush to the shoreline broke over her head. After watching her sputter for the third time, Spike grinned and grabbed her hands, trying to help her stay afloat. When they touched they both sensed an almost surreal connection.

Buffy gasped and her hands tightened. She searched his face, questioning the sensation. Spike's eyes darkened. He pulled her close, wrapping his arms around her waist. Shivering, she placed her arms around his shoulders. He pressed his lips to hers in a crushing kiss. They both moaned and pressed their bodies close. They stayed locked in their embrace even as waves crashed over them.

After several minutes, they reluctantly broke apart.

Spike spoke first. “I've wanted to do that since the first time I saw you in the doorway.”

Buffy looked into his eyes. “I think we need to talk about where this may be going. I haven't had good luck with relationships in the past and I'm not sure how I feel about this strong attraction happening between us.”

He acquiesced. “I think we need a chance to talk, too. I want you to know your own mind and I want a chance to tell you how I feel. Meanwhile if you need me to slow down, I'll understand completely.” He sought to show her that he understood and could act in accordance. He kissed her lightly and then made a deliberate show of stepping back.

Buffy felt relieved at William's immediate consideration for her feelings. He was giving her the breathing space she'd requested.

They slowly swam back to shore. Once there, they grabbed their towels and sat together on the blanket, eating their sandwiches in silence. Together they watched the sun as it dropped slowly into the water, this time in cinnamon hues.

Spike finished his meal, dropping the aluminum soda can in the basket. “I watched you the other night sitting on that boulder. You were a beautiful vision. I couldn't pull my eyes away.”

Buffy leaned against his shoulder. “I sit here almost every evening and think about all the people who are watching the same sunset. It makes me feel a little less alone.” She shifted to see his face in the dwindling light. “I want to take this inside where we can talk in a more comfortable setting. Once the sun goes down it gets so cold. Could we go to your cottage?”

He readily agreed, hoping that this would be a chance for her to really see him. Spike wanted her to realize that he was the man she really needed and wanted.

They picked up their possessions and walked back to Spike's cottage. Once inside the cottage, he turned on a table lamp; it cast a cozy glow around the room. His cell phone on the kitchen counter was beeping insistently. “Buffy, this sand is uncomfortable. You've got clothes with you. Why don't you take a quick shower while I check my phone messages? Then we can have our talk without interruption.”

She nodded her agreement and carried her clothes into the bathroom. In a moment, Spike heard the water falling in the shower. He sat on one of the wooden kitchen chairs and tried to concentrate on his messages while all he could really think about was Buffy just on the other side of the door naked in his shower.