Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone who's reading, and to those who are reviewing! It's so great to know that people are really enjoying the story, and are anxious to find out what happens next! I'm excited for the response to the next few chapters, so please, let me know what you think...
When Spike awoke late the next morning, Buffy was gone. He started to work himself into an offended state, when he saw a small piece of paper folded on his night stand.

“Working. That’s what you pay me for. Love, Buffy.”

He smiled and put the note back, then quickly showered and dressed to head downstairs. He went through his normal routine, made breakfast, checked his email, gave out assignments, all with a song in his heart. When Buffy came in an hour later, he couldn’t stop himself from grinning at her like a madman, and his smile deepened even more when he saw she was wearing the necklace he’d gifted her with.

“How are you?” She said formally.

“I’m fine, thank you, and you?” He responded in an equally stuffy tone. They stared happily at each other for a moment, then Spike wiggled his tongue at her and said, sotto voce, “Shut the door.”

She winked and went to comply, when Fred came hurrying through. “Hi Buffy! Um, can I get Spike alone for a minute?” Her demeanor was clearly frazzled, and Buffy nodded quickly, shrugged at Spike behind Fred’s back, and left, shutting the door behind her.

She hovered for a bit, trying to listen to their conversation inconspicuously. But their voices were low enough that she couldn’t make out a single word. Reluctantly moving away from the door, she paced the entry way, checking her watch for what felt like the hundredth time that day.

Just before one. Two hours, and she could talk to Giles. Two hours, and she could figure out what to do.

Gunn had ended up working all night, and had sent her quick text to let her know. So she hadn’t seen him yet today, and her two phone calls to him had gone unanswered. The more she thought about her current situation, the more stressed she became, and she couldn’t wait for everything to be done with. Then, she could maybe figure how to confess to Spike.

She checked her watch. Just past one. Damn.

“Buffy?” She heard Spike yell from his office.

She hurried back, and was surprised to see him frantically gathering up his jacket and briefcase, his jaw tensed, his eyes wild. “Fred and I are leaving for a bit, hold down the fort, yeah?”

“Um, yeah,” she said, surprised. “Where are you going?”

“Just…just out,” he said. “I’ll explain later, love, okay?” He kissed her briefly on the cheek and then was gone in a flash, leaving her panicked and suspicious.

Buffy quickly pulled out her phone and tried to call Gunn, swearing when yet again she got his automated voicemail. She hung up, unable to make her brain work well enough to leave him a voicemail in code.

“Think, Buffy, think,” she muttered to herself, her brain paging through the countless reasons why Spike and Fred would have taken off so fast, and why Gunn wouldn’t be answering his phone. Very few of the explanations were good.

She considered calling Giles, but didn’t even know what she would say. Without Gunn and his car, she couldn’t go to meet him anywhere, and it’s not like she could help Spike by leaving.

Her own thought process startled her. Is that what this was about, now? Helping Spike? Is that where her priorities were?

She didn’t know, all she knew is she couldn’t just sit around, not knowing what was going on, helpless. Buffy Summers was not helpless.

Her phone vibrated in her hand, causing her to jump. “Thank God,” she breathed out when she saw Gunn’s name on the small illuminated screen. She flipped open the phone and answered it, “Yeah?”

Angel’s voice came over the line, and all the color drained out of her face.

She could hear a honk coming from in front of the house.

Only a second of resistance before she followed Angel’s instructions and hurried out to the waiting car, driven by one of his most trusted employees, Caleb.

“Hey there, little lady,” he said when she climbed into the front seat. “And how are you this fine day?”

She glared at him and spat out, “Fine, thanks.”

“You are a feisty one,” he drawled as he sped down the driveway. “I can see why Spike and Gunn like you. Although, personally, I like my women monogamous. But that’s just me.”

“Are you going to tell me where we’re going?” she ignored his comment.

“Doesn’t really matter where we’re going, does it?” Caleb asked. “What matters is what’s there. And you don’t get to know anything, so don’t ask. As a matter of fact, don’t talk. Your voice gives me a headache.”

“Are we meeting Gunn?”

“Ain’t that just like a woman,” he sighed. “Ignoring everything I say.” Lightning quick, he reached out and grabbed her roughly by the hair at the nape of her neck, pulling her across the seat so he could whisper in her ear. “I’d keep that firebrand tongue of yours inside your mouth, little girl. I’ve got quite a temper on me. Now give me your phone.”

She reached into her jeans and handed it over reluctantly. Caleb released her, and she pressed herself against the passenger door, breathing heavily as terror bubbled in her veins. He hit a couple keys on her phone then shoved it in his jacket pocket.

Out of the mess of worries that was her brain, two questions stood out as most important.

Did they know who she was?

And where was Gunn?

She kept her mouth shut for the rest of the drive, knowing that attempting to escape was the stupidest thing she could do. She sighed in relief when they pulled into the parking lot of what looked like an abandoned warehouse, and Gunn’s truck was there.

“Follow me, honey,” Caleb said, getting out of the car and striding towards the large metal door to the building. Buffy followed close behind, wishing she was in possession of the gun she saw sticking out of the waistband of his jeans.

They entered, and Caleb headed for the stairs, going up two flights before he opened a door and led her through a maze of stacked wooden crates, twenty feet tall. They emerged into a huge, cement walled room.

Spike, Angel, an unfamiliar older woman and a tall, muscular man were talking in the center of the cavernous space. Fred and Gunn were standing off to the side, with a man Buffy recognized as another employee of Spike’s, Graham. Across from them stood Forrest, arms crossed, pokerfaced, with two of Angel’s other lackeys, one of whom she thought was named Ben.

“What the bloody hell is she doing here?” Spike spat when he glanced over and saw Buffy. “She doesn’t need to be here.”

“Now, Spike,” Angel admonished. “I thought you’d want the whole team here to see how well you’ve done with Ms. Walsh. It’s impressive, really.”

Caleb nudged Buffy towards Forrest, and the two men stood on either side of her as she glanced back and forth between Spike and Gunn, confused. Was she really here just to watch them seal the deal with Walsh? That didn’t make any sense.

The older woman rolled her eyes. “If you two boys could hurry it along, I’d be grateful. I have an appointment to get to.”

“Let’s get on with it,” Spike said, tearing his eyes away from Buffy and focusing on the task at hand. “I think we all agree to the terms, yeah?”

Margaret nodded. “Adam, call the office so we know when the money shows up in my personal account.” The man with her nodded and pulled out a phone, dialing quickly.

Angel pulled out his own phone and sent a quick text message. “Darla’s sending it now.”

Everyone in the room stood silent for a moment, and Gunn shrugged almost imperceptibly at Buffy. He didn’t know why she was there either. Not good.

“Great, thanks,” Adam said into his phone. “It’s done, Mother.”

“Fantastic!” Angel said cheerily. “And the product?”

“Out in the trunk,” said Adam. “Come on out and we can transfer it to your car.”

“Spike, why don’t you go handle that?” Angel smiled, his question really more of an order. “Come back up here when you’re done.”

“Fine,” said Spike curtly, spinning and striding out of the room.

“Thanks for your business,” Walsh said, reaching out to shake Angel’s hand. “I look forward to hearing from you soon.” She and Adam followed Spike, and Angel busied himself with his phone for a few minutes, then shrugged off his jacket casually and cracked his neck. Ben and Angel’s other employee nonchalantly made their way across the room, standing on either side of the trio of Fred, Gunn, and Graham. Finally, Angel turned to settle his attention on Buffy.

“Well, well,” he smirked, advancing on her. “I think you and I have some things to discuss, beautiful.”