Chapter 3

‘She doesn’t know what she’s doing, she doesn’t know what she’s doing’ Spike chanted in his head as he took a deep breath and prepared to go into the breech.

His progress across the room towards Buffy was halted when she slowly pulled the lollipop out of her mouth. Her perfect lips melding themselves to its shape as it passed between them.

Spike was struck dumb; the entirely innocent act just looked so sexual coming from the full-grown woman before him. The woman who he knew was more than proficient in the act which her movement caused unbidden images of in his mind. He almost hit the floor as, when the lollipop was all the way out of her mouth her tongue snaked out and licked once at the candy.

If he’d had a stake right there Spike was sure he’d have offed himself. It was the kind of teasing thing Buffy only ever did for him when they were alone and his body was reacting despite his minds vehement protests.

She fixed him with an extremely mischievous gaze.

“They’ve gone now.” She said impishly “We can have lots of fun now!”

Spike did a double take – was she playing with him? Had the spell worn off of its own accord?

When she looked at him, impish grin still in place licking as she began sucking her candy treat again, Spike was certain that this was his Buffy. He needed to tell Giles and the others, but first she was going to pay for teasing him like that!

Quick as a flash he was over at the couch and had flung her down on her back pinning her arms down as she giggled loudly.

“So you were just playing the little girl pet were you?” he said in serious tones.

Buffy nodded, serious herself now. “I’m a big girl!”

Spike growled at her, still playing the tease!

Buffy craned her neck to lean up and whisper in his ear. “Guess what I want to do?”

Spike pulled his head back a little to lift an eyebrow at her. “Think I might have an idea luv. In your watchers house too! Didn’t think you had it in you luv.”

“You sure do talk funny.” Buffy giggled at him, before returning her voice to a whisper again. “I know where Mr Giles keeps his chocolate ice-cream! He thinks I don’t know where he hides it but I found it! We can eat just a little bit and he won’t know.”

Spike froze, just about to lean down and kiss the breath out of her. His head was spinning he didn’t know what was going on anymore, was this his Buffy playing with him or had he made a terrible misjudgement. Her next question answered his own.

“Does ice-cream make your face go bumpy Mr Spike? Cos that’d be funny. Can I get up now or do I have to say ‘uncle’?”

Spike shot up off Buffy and the couch as if they were doused in holy water.

“I thought you just said you were a big girl.” He said suspiciously still not entirely sure if he was being played with here.

“I am!” Buffy said indignantly struggling to pull herself upright. “I’ll be FIVE soon! I’m way bigger than Dawnie!”

Spike blushed. He actually blushed, bright red in a way he would have sworn was impossible for him. His brain was in overdrive.

‘Shit! Shit! Shit!’ he cursed to himself ‘what the hell was I thinking? God I didn’t even find out if she was better before I jumped on her. And I was going to kiss her, God! Talk about traumatising a kid! Fuck! I’m such an idiot, an idiot. I have to call Giles and tell him to send someone back here; I’m not fit to be around her. God what was I thinking!’

Buffy had by now managed to get up from the sofa and she moved forward to take Spike’s hand and lead him into the kitchen. The feel of her fingers on his palm woke Spike from his self condemnation with a start and he yanked his hand away as if she’d pressed a cross into it.

A puzzled look settled on Buffy’s face and she reached for his hand again, the puzzled look being replaced with a hurt one when Spike pulled his hand back again and started to back away from her. His struggle to control his emotions was so evident on his face that even in her decreased capacity Buffy knew something was wrong.

She didn’t try to take his hand again; instead she dropped her head and asked in a very small voice. “Was I naughty Mr. Spike? Am I in trouble?” One of her feet turned inward as the hand she’d tried to grasp his with slipped behind her and started pulling absently at the seat of her overalls. She looked up at him with big eyes. “You won’t tell Mr Giles about the ice-cream will you? Please Mr. Spike I- I just thought you might like some.”

Spike’s heart melted at the sight she presented. He couldn’t summon Giles and the others back. The way his slayer was just now she’d take it to mean that she had been naughty and probably that he didn’t like her and he just couldn’t bring himself to do it.

It wasn’t her fault his brain had believed she had been cured like he wanted so readily. He could do this. His girl needed him to take care of her and he got precious little opportunity when she was in her right mind. He could overcome his mutinous body’s urges to make Buffy happy, he knew he could.

Reaching out he lifted her chin on his fingers. “No. I won’t tell stuffy old Mr Giles that we had to feed your sweet tooth. Come on flower-pot; let’s get some ice-cream.”

Buffy smiled broadly at him before starting up a giggle again. “Why did you say ‘flower-pot’ Mr Spike?” she asked following him into the kitchen, and pointing out where Giles stash was.

“Well, Buffy.” Spike said retrieving the ice-cream and fetching some bowls. “Where I come from, a little country a long, long way away there are some people who use ‘flower-pot’ as a special name for especially sweet little girls. So that’s why I called you it.”

Buffy grinned and pulled herself up to sit on the counter next to Spike as he started to scoop out ice-cream for each of them.

“Also, my dear.” He continued. “It’s quite apt considering your little trick chucking the geraniums at me earlier.”

Buffy’s brow furrowed when he reminded her of that and Spike rightly presumed she was worried he was going to tell her off for it.

“Cheeky-chops!” he said, tapping a dollop of ice-cream onto her nose, keeping the mood light and averting her fears. Buffy laughed as she wiped the ice-cream off with the back of her hand, licking the hand as Spike told her how brave and clever she was to have stood up to him when she thought he was a stranger.

Suddenly Buffy’s mouth formed a perfect ‘o’ shape as she gasped, looking down at the bowls of ice-cream.

“Mr Spike!” she said in slightly panicked tones. “That’s too much ice-cream. Mr Giles will know we’ve been eating it! You have to just take little bits so he doesn’t know.”

Spike grinned wondering if this was a memory left over from grown-up Buffy. Just how many times had she sneaked bites of the watchers ice-cream? The thought that there was still such a childish playfulness in ‘his’ Buffy made him incredibly happy.

“Hey!” he said, snapping her eyes up to his face with the exclamation. “Who’s your sitter right now? Me or Mr Giles?”

“You.” Buffy answered a little uncertainly.

“Ok so let me worry about the ice-cream kid, ok? Like you said flower-pot, they’re not here now, so you and me are gonna have a blast. Starting with eating this right there on Mr Giles sofa instead of at the counter ok?”

Buffy grinned and jumped down from the counter top grabbing her bowl and a spoon. “Ok Mr. Spike! Race ya!”

She took off out of the kitchen leaving Spike to shake his head and smile as he picked up his own bowl. He could do this he told himself again; just ignore the lust that appeared simply from being near her, no matter what his brain said about it. Just enjoy spending time with the carefree girl he could only wish he’d met before slaying and life in general had tainted her exuberant nature.

TBC.....
There's more torture to come if you want it ;)