IDENTITY CRISIS

*Heather Martin*

Disclaimer- I do NOT own Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This is a story with characters created by Joss Whedon. I am only borrowing them.

Spoilers- This will have many spoilers. It occurs after Wrecked, and will refer to everything before that also. But mostly, Fool for Love.

Summary- A spell has a far greater impact than Willow or Spike counted on. The vampire is split into two separate embodiments: the demon and William. But there’s still Spike, who has to decide who he really is, the demon or the man. And time is running out.

“Poor Spikey! Can’t be a human, can’t be a vampire.” ~Wrecked
But what if he had a choice?

AN- In Fool For Love, Angelus notices that Spike starts talking different. So, that means that he conditioned himself to say things like mate after his change. That explains why William doesn’t say some of the words Spike does.

 
Chapter 2- Multiple Personalities

Spike shook Willow. “Why didn’t you do the simple spell we agreed on?” he asked harshly.

“It started out that way. But something came and took me over. There was nothing I could do. It had complete control,” she explained. She was sorry, she really was. She had known this was a bad idea. Why did she even do it?

Willow surveyed their surroundings. She still wasn’t sure what she did exactly. Somehow William was there. And a vampire, who she was sure was also Spike.

There was a burst of laughing. Spike and Willow hadn’t noticed the vampire get to his feet. He wasn’t the least bit ashamed of his bare body, unlike William, who cowered into the shadows.

The vampire directed his vision at Spike. He grinned, showing sharp teeth. “Finally, I’m free. You can’t conceal me any longer. That bloody chip won’t be able to prevent me from painting the town red.”

William shuttered. He had never seen anyone so hideous. Wrinkles, glowing eyes, and fangs. Monster, that’s what it was.

“What are you saying, mate?” Spike questioned.

The vampire came closer. Willow’s eyes bugged out. Man, what a body! She fought to keep her gaze above the waist.

“I’m you, Spike. I’m the demon that changed William into what you are now.” He sniffed. “I’m free, open to the hunt. I can sense the blood calling me. Time to go find it.” He bolted into a run.

Willow jumped up. “Hey!”

“Let him go, Red,” Spike stated.

Horror appeared on her expression. “What!? He’s going to kill someone. We can’t just ignore that.”

“You’ll never catch him. He’s too fast. Only Buffy has that speed.”

“I have to at least try,” she said.

The feeble image of William came into view. He staggered forward. “I hate to interrupt, but I’m rather cold. Would you be kind enough to show me to some shelter?”

Willow and Spike shared a look. They silently communicated.

A sigh escaped Willow. “Ok, we’ll take him inside. For now. But later, we have to go search for your other half.”

“Sure thing,” Spike said.

They brought the man into Buffy’s house. Willow found a warm blanket to wrap him up with. He appreciated that very much. Then she began to fix some hot chocolate for him.

A pang of guilt swept through her. She felt terrible. Poor William. Had he been pulled here out of his own time? He may have been walking down the street and automatically arrived here. He must be so confused.

Just then Spike stepped into the kitchen. He saw the kettle on the stove. He perked up. “Cocoa?”

“This isn’t for you, it’s for William.”

“Hey now, can’t I have a cup? Can’t be harder to fix a little more for me too.”

Willow shook her head. “Spike, forget it. You are going to your crypt to get some clothes. He can’t go on wrapped in a blanket.”

Spike was skeptical. “Think he’ll wear them? I remember the dress code back then. Wasn’t black jeans and a t-shirt.”

“It will have to do.”

“Fine.” Spike fumbled in his duster for his cigarettes. “I’ll be back in about twenty minutes.” He walked out the door toward the cemetery.

++++++++

Willow came into the living room. William was on the sofa, huddled under the thick fabric of the blanket. His head shot up as she approached.

A friendly smile came to her lips. She set the steaming mug of hot chocolate on the coffee table. “How you doing?” she inquired.

William blinked. “I uh. . . Was I attacked?”

“Not exactly,” she replied.

“How did I lose my clothes? And my glasses. My glasses are gone too. I can see without them, but not as well.”

She wasn’t sure what to say. How would he take the truth?

“What is the last thing you remember?” she asked.

He thought for a moment. “I was out for a stroll and ended up in an alley. A woman came up. She started to talk to me. Then. . .” His eyes widened. He stared at Willow in fright.

The door flung open. Buffy came in. She hung up her leather jacket, then walked over. She stopped when she noticed William. She was completely frozen.

“Hey, Buffy,” Willow squeaked.

Hysterical giggles came from Buffy. She couldn’t stop once she began. The two occupants of the couch watched, puzzled.

She pointed at William. “Spike, what the hell did you do with your hair?”

“Miss, do I know you?” he asked.

Her laughter settled down. She wiped the tears from her eyes. “Oh, this is rich. You acting this way. Do you think this will win me over? I mean, changing your hair, calling me miss.”

“Buffy. . .?” Willow started.

“And what’s up with the no-clothes routine? Think I’ll jump right to it, because of the temptation? Forget about what you are?”

William’s mouth hung open. This woman was crazy.

“Wish it was that easy, luv.”

Buffy jumped. She spun around to see Spike, the annoying one she was used to. He smirked, glad to have snuck up on her.

The slayer glanced from the couch to the vampire. Her head was spinning. “Oh, God!” she moaned.

Spike held up some dark material. “Got the threads, Red,” he informed.

“Would someone please explain what is going on to me?” William spoke up.

Buffy held up her hand. “Me too!”

Willow stood up. She braced herself. “It was an accident, I swear.”

Buffy raised an eyebrow. “Accident?”

“It was mostly my fault,” Spike confessed. “I asked her to do it.” When it came to Buffy, he seemed to just deflate. He was so whipped, even had to tell the truth, and take the blame.

Now Buffy knew something was really wrong. “What did you BOTH do!?”

“I did a spell, Buffy. It was supposed to be a tiny itty bitty one. But it back-fired and grew into a huge one. I kinda. . . We kinda split Spike into two,” Willow explained. She fiddled with her hands.

Anger built up inside Buffy. She glared at her best-friend. “I trusted you. I thought you were over the magic stuff. I guess hurting my sister wasn’t enough. You had to go and do something bigger.”

Tears formed in Willow’s eyes. “I’m so sorry.”

“Sorry isn’t good enough this time!” Buffy shouted.

Willow nodded. “I know. I’ll try to fix it.”

“You better!” Buffy snapped. “And if I ever catch you doing another spell, you are out of this house. For good.”

Silence came over Willow. She just sobbed with shame.

Spike touched Buffy’s arm. She shoved him off. Her finger went in his face. “And you, what the hell were you after!? Why did you ask her to do this?”

He sighed, shoulders slumping. “I wanted to see if I had really changed, Buffy. I needed to know if I am good or still evil.”

“Right. Did you find out?”

“Nope.”

Buffy snorted. “Well, I hope you both are happy. You guys didn’t gain anything. Spike’s still as clueless as before.” She gestured to the man on her couch. “And we have here, a chunk of what makes him?”

“Name’s William. William Thornton,” he answered.

Buffy’s eyes widened. “William?” She turned to Spike. “Oh, I see now.”

Spike seemed kind of uncomfortable. “Yeah, that’s right. Meet my former self, the poofter himself, William, the bloody awful poet.”

“Hey now!” William said. “I’m getting better.”

“I’ll tell you mate, words like effulgent get you nowhere.”

William lowered his eyes.

Buffy hit Spike’s arm. “Don’t be mean to him. He doesn’t even know what’s going on.”

She went over to the Englishman. She sat down next to him, laying a hand on his. “We’re going to get you home, William. But until then, you can stay here with me.”

William swallowed. The warm contact of her hand made him nervous. His eyes were brought up to her face. His mouth curved upwards. Her presence made things seem not so bad. He took her hand and kissed it. “Thank you ever so much, my lady.”

Buffy smiled back. “Call me Buffy,” she told him.

Irritation grew inside Spike. “You can’t be serious. He can’t stay here with you.”

“Why not?” demanded Buffy.

“Because. . . Because.”

“Uh huh,” she said.

Spike gestured to William. “He could come with me to the crypt,” he offered.

“Right, a cold, dark, tomb? Sure, I’m sure he’d like that,” she said, sarcastically.

“How would you know? I used to be him, think I’d know more than you bloody would.”

William cleared his throat. “I think I’d rather stay here.” He looked at Buffy. “It’s nice and cozy.”

Spike growled. “Of course you would, mate.”

Spike crossed his arms. “Well, if he is going to stay here, so am I.”

“What!?” shrieked Buffy.

“I’m not leaving you with him alone.”

Buffy got to her feet. “Get the hell out, Spike!”

“No,” he said with a grin.

Buffy grabbed a near-by stake. She held it up, threatening. “Get out now!”

He chuckled. “You won’t do it. You won’t be able to. Not after what we shared.”

Willow’s gaze shifted over to them in curiosity. Shared?

“Shut up!” Buffy yelled. “Leave now or I’ll disinvite you again!”

She dropped the stake and kicked him in the shin. He hissed in pain, but soon recovered.

Standing up straight, Spike said,” Fine, you go ahead and share your cushions with the git.”

Spike threw the clothes at William. Then he stormed out of the house. Damn that girl! And damn William too! He needed a drink desperately. He headed to Willy’s bar.