Author's Chapter Notes:
So to make up for the long delay in posting...I'm going to give you the rest in one giant post. :)
So here it is: the final chapter and Epilogue. Please remember to review!!!!
Giles gaped openly at Willow for a moment before somewhat desperately snatching the glasses from his face. He didn’t even bother with the act of cleaning them; he merely looked at them for a moment before pushing them back on top of his nose. “You’re quite certain.”

Willow nodded. “Pretty much. It makes sense right?”

“Well…yes, I see why you would come to…but Spike.” He gave her a pained expression.

“That’s what I’m thinkin’.”

“Even given the circumstances, I am not convinced it’s possible. In all the time that there has been a Watcher’s council there has never been…” Giles rubbed the bridge of his nose, thinking that it was probably good that he’d never had children of his own; the ones he’d collected seemed to be driving him to an early grave quite well on their own.

Willow interrupted him with a laugh. “Giles we’re talking about the vampire who fell in love with a slayer, won back his soul and just came back as human. Not so sure precedent really applies here.”

“He does manage to surprise, that I’ll grant you, but…”

“If you heard about a girl somewhere experiencing the same things…” Willow trailed off and looked at him with wisdom beyond her years filling her eyes.

Giles nodded and reached on to the shelf for the final ingredient they needed. “It would seem that we are about to change the world again.”

“It’s what we do.” Willow grinned.
************************************************

Buffy was awoken by the sound of the door downstairs. She stretched groggily; somewhat surprised to discover that her now-human lover still had the ability to leave her with sore muscles that she normally didn’t even know she had. She hadn’t really had much experience with humans, but up until a few days ago she had been pretty certain they simply didn’t have the stamina that a vampire did. She smiled, it turned out that she’d been giving the demon too much credit; the man was still more than able to hold his own.
Although, she thought after turning slightly to watch him sleep, it certainly appeared that she had finally worn him out. Even asleep he looked exhausted, Buffy realized with a small frown before vowing to take better care of herself so that he would follow suite. It hadn’t escaped her notice that he was basically only sleeping and eating when she did and she knew that she didn’t really do enough of either. Just because her slayer constitution could survive while being run ragged it didn’t really mean that she should and it definitely didn’t mean that he should. She nodded to herself. From now on, she thought regular sleep and at least two actual non-chip meals everyday. Buffy frowned again hoping that Spike could cook.

Buffy scanned the room for her clothes while wondering if she would be able to slip away without waking him up. He looked so tired that she was worried. It was, she realized, a surprisingly comfortable thing for her to do, the worrying about him. She’d never really considered herself the maternal care-giver type. Sure she’d taken care of Dawn after their mother had died, but she’d done that as a sister and given the current unease in their relationship she wasn’t sure she’d done that very well. She really hadn’t ever been very gentle with the men in her life. Maybe a little bit with Riley when he was sick, she amended, but even that had felt awkward, like a role she thought she should play. She certainly hadn’t been gentle with Spike during their first go around, although she could admit now, to herself, that he’d probably tempted her to be just as much then as now and she’d only punished them both the more for that. No she hadn’t started giving in to that desire at all before he had a soul; she couldn’t though she knew others had. Her mother had known exactly what he was and she’d still been drawn to comfort him like he was some lost little boy. It had been awkward for her at first, still in Sunnydale surrounded by her friends and the potential slayers, but she’d started giving in anyway. There’d been little moments and unprocessed actions meant to console or heal. Now it seemed easy, natural even, and she wondered whether it was because he was human now or if the important change was really her own.

Buffy had finally realized that there were things much scarier then loving him. Sitting there now, watching him sleep, she could almost laugh at how hard she had fought it. It seemed silly now that she had thought denying it would make it less real, that she had thought it would somehow not hurt that way. It still had, it had still hurt them both and probably more so. She pushed the thought away, there was really no point in dwelling on it; she’d fucked up but that was over now. It wasn’t that she thought everything would be easy from now on out, she really didn’t ever expect things to be easy anymore. She just knew that being with him couldn’t be harder than being without him.

She leaned over and pressed a soft kiss on his cheek and whispered that she was just going downstairs and that he should stay sleeping. Sliding carefully off the bed so as not to wake him, Buffy quickly tugged on her clothes and headed downstairs.

********************************************************************
She didn’t know what it was, but she knew it would kill her. She knew how even, though she still couldn’t believe it. It was close now and she ran. She ran faster than she ever had before, faster than she had ever thought someone could. It had happened yesterday; she had suddenly felt stronger and faster then before. She hadn’t understood it, but for a brief time she thought it was a blessing. Then all her nightmares came true. She was cursed, she knew that now and she ran. She ran knowing that it ran faster.

Spike woke with a start and shook his head. He really didn’t need another image of death haunting him. Her fear had been his own, as had her confusion. He could name the monster chasing her, but it hadn’t helped her understand.

Stretching, he got out of bed and pulled on his jeans and tee shirt. He quickly followed Buffy downstairs.
********************************************************************


Buffy frowned when she found her friends arguing in the kitchen.

“You cannot expect it turn out well if you use that…that…” Giles gestured disgusted toward the counter.

“Is there a problem with the magic stuff for the claim?” Buffy interrupted anxiously.

Willow smiled and shook her head. “No Buff, we got all the supplies; everything should be fine.”

“Then what?”

The redhead gave her an impish grin. “It turns out my tea making gives Giles indigestion.”

“Preparing a good cuppa is an art form. It is essential that the tea steep for the optimum length of time in water that has risen to the proper temperature.” Giles took in the amused expressions on the girl’s faces and shook his head in frustration.

Spike joined the conversation as he entered the room. “It’s true; over-brewed stew is just rubbish.”

Buffy smiled at the sight of him barefoot and rumpled before giving him a concerned look. “I thought you would sleep for a bit.”

He shrugged.

Buffy frowned for a second before mirroring his movement. “Well I guess we can do the claim thingy now then” she turned towards Willow “yeah? I think I’ll feel better when it’s done.”

“Buffy this is not something…” Giles started.

“To be taken lightly. I know; I’m not. I just think I will feel better when I’m not worried about that Malach guy showing up and making Spike disappear or something. I’m not rushing. I’ve…we’ve made up our minds.” She turned back to Spike to confirm her words. He nodded and she turned back to Willow. “So what do we have to do?”

****************************************************************

Twenty minutes later Buffy and Spike sat across from each on the floor and Buffy watched anxiously as Willow completed a second circle of salt around them. “So what are the circles for exactly?”

“Protection.”

Spike’s brows came together. “And what exactly are you protecting us from then?”

Willow looked up as she twisted the lid back on to the jar of salt. “It’s not so much for you guys as for the rest of us.” At their confused look she continued “This is a really powerful magic we’re dealing with here, binding souls…” she shrugged “I just don’t want things to get all wiggy and bind anyone else to you.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “That’s possible?”

“I don’t think so, but…”

Giles answered at the same time. “It doesn’t seem likely. As you know the circumstances here are quite unusual…but in any case the circles should serve to separate the two of you and any magic within from those of us outside.”

“Okay, so we sit inside the circles and then…” Buffy looked at Willow “… you’ll chant something or…”

“Nope. I’m not a player in this sweetie. You’ve got all the power here. You’ll drink the tea I made you, it’ll just give you more like authority in your voice-kind of like a “and that’s my final answer” thing and do the blood bit and…”

“What blood bit?” Spike interrupted.

“The exchange of blood; I think the physical connection of your essences helps cement the metaphysical bond. So you’ll have to bite him. You know drain his blood feed him yours.”

Spike’s jaw dropped. “What?”

Willow laughed. “Just kidding. Well about the biting part; you can just cut your palms and place them together.”

Spike shook his head. “Not funny Red.”

She laughed again and Buffy joined her. Spike glared. Buffy grinned. “It was a little funny.”

Spike shook his head again but his lips twitched with the beginnings of a smile. “You lot are warped.”

Giles sighed deeply but made no comment.

“All right so I drink the stuff, we do the blood brothers bit and I announce that I’m keeping my claim thingy and that’s it?”

“Yeah...I’ll um focus on strengthening the protection around the house so you don’t get interrupted, but that seems unlikely at this point.”

“But that guy didn’t even bother to tell me I had to finalize the claim; that has to mean something right?”

“I don’t think so. I don’t really think that there is much anyone could do. You have the highest claim, if you don’t denounce it….” She shrugged.

“I agree.” Giles nodded. “If they were going to do something to try and prevent you from maintaining the claim they probably would have done so before now.”

“So he was just being a jerk?” Buffy asked with a note of disbelief.

Willow nodded. “It was probably just a half-hearted final attempt. You said it seemed like he was voted down, like he didn’t think you should get the soul.”

Buffy nodded in agreement. “Okay.” She looked at Spike. “Are you ready?” At his nod she turned back to Willow. “Let’s do it.”

Willow reached into her bag and pulled out a small silver dagger. She handed it to Spike and then handed the special tea to Buffy. Meeting her eye, she reached out with her mind. ‘You are sure about this.’

‘Positive. I love him Will.’

Willow smiled as her eyes misted. With a final nod she stood back up and stepped away from the circle.

Buffy held the mug with both hands and drank a few mouthfuls while Spike fiddled with the dagger. When he looked up to meet her eyes she nodded and he slid the blade across his left palm freeing a slim line of blood. She placed the mug on the floor, reached for the blade and mimicked his action. Buffy raised both hands, palms out, to meet his and when their fingers were entwined and their blood was mingling she spoke the words that would join them forever. “I love you. Your soul is mine and mine is yours. I maintain the claim; eternal.”

Spike trembled slightly at her words and took a ragged breath before leaning in to kiss her deeply. “Is that it?” He asked quietly once she had pulled away.

She nodded once while studying his face. “Are you okay? You seem…”

“I’m fine. I feel…good, stronger maybe.” He nodded.

Willow laughed softly and they both turned to look at her. “I’m thinking you’re going to have to change the speech a little.”

Buffy frowned. “What speech…Willow?”

“The one where you welcome the new slayer to the sisterhood.”

Buffy’s eyes widened and she turned back to a rather terrified looking Spike. “You’re a slayer.”


Epilogue- Seven Weeks Later

Dawn pushed Xander out of the way as she rushed to peek out the window. “Are they here yet?”

Xander chuckled. “You’re the one with the front row view Dawnie; you tell me.”

Dawn turned back to Xander with a pout. “Shouldn’t they be here by now? Their plane landed forever ago. We should have gone to the airport.” Dawn stalked over to a nearby couch and dropped herself into it.

Xander shook his head. He had mixed feelings about seeing the now former vampire and once again lover of his best friend again, but he would be thrilled when they arrived and took emotional-roller-coaster- Dawn off his hands for a bit. “You could have gone to the airport; you said you didn’t want to.”

Dawn pretended to ignore him. That had been a couple of hours ago when she was still feeling all hurt and ignored. Now she was mostly feeling like she missed her sister and the man she’d once considered her best friend. Which, of course, wasn’t to say that she wasn’t still upset about being abandoned for the past few months. “Do you think he looks different?”

Xander shrugged. “The potentials all looked the same after they came into power, so…I guess he’ll be the same.”

Dawn nodded, considering.

“What I don’t get…” Xander started while sitting down next to Dawn, “is how he ends up a slayer.”

“No, that makes sense.”

Xander raised his eyebrows.

“Well it’s like Willow said: Spike’s soul wasn’t the only thing connected to Buffy’s soul.”

“Right, she’s got like a mainline into the whole slayer magic pool.”

“Exactly, so when she connected their souls he got connected to the magic too.”

“Except he’s still all Y chromosome having, so…”

“It doesn’t matter.” Dawn shook her head. “The magic has only been in girls because that is the way the original spell was set.” Dawn was on a roll, in full lecture mode. “Remember how we started to find out that a lot of the new slayers were at least distantly related. The slayer magic was passed down in families from mother to daughter. It’s not that men can’t be connected to the slayer magic it just only got passed to females, and there are actually tons of women connected to the power. Only most wouldn’t be able to control it and so they don’t become potentials. Because being a potential means that on some basic level your soul has the capacity to manage being a slayer.” Dawn grinned at him. “’Course we know it doesn’t always work out that way, some of the girls may have started out with the potential to be a good slayer but it got sort of…lost…along the way, like if they were abused or something.”

Xander nodded. “So Spike…”

“Had to have the potential to get the power. Even with his connection to Buffy, if his soul couldn’t control the magic then he couldn’t have gotten the power; that’s how it works. And it makes sense that his soul could handle a little bit of demon magic since he had already been controlling a whole demon.”

Xander nodded slowly. “I still think the whole thing is nuts.”

“Well, yeah, but…” Dawn shrugged and they both laughed. Dawn popped up from the couch and went to the window again. “I just wish they’d move here instead of staying in London. It’s taken them weeks to even visit.”

“London is keeping them busy, plenty of stuff to slay and I guess they…”

“Want privacy so they can screw like bunnies.”

“Dawn!”

“Oh come on; you know it’s true.” Finally spotting Giles’ car in the drive, she turned to him and grinned. “They’re here. Come on.” She grabbed his hand and letting out a little squeal on her way pulled him towards the door.


The End.


Chapter End Notes:
Please review-you'll make my day!